PDA

View Full Version : James 'Lights Out' Toney signs multi-fight UFC contract

Harrie Nak
04-03-2010, 00:59
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/392001/james_toney_loves_america_medium_medium_medium.jpg

Straight from the files of "WTF?" comes the news that Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has come to terms on a multi-fight contract with 41-year-old NABO heavyweight boxing champion James "Lights Out" Toney, as first reported by Five Ounces of Pain (http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2010/03/03/exclusive-james-toney-signs-multi-fight-deal-with-ufc/).

Terms of the contract were not disclosed; however, UFC President Dana White has confirmed the signing with MMAFighting.com (http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/03/03/ufc-signs-boxing-champion-james-toney-debut-date-uncertain/).

Toney has been extremely vocal about getting his shot inside the Octagon as of late, probably after watching Ray Mercer get paid to put Tim Sylvia on queer street last year in Alabama.

And while the lack of pure boxing skills is an inherent problem within the ranks of mixed martial arts, the UFC heavyweight division is comprised of more than just a former YouTube star and some past-their prime headliners.

He may find that out sooner rather than later.
Dana wordt er niet geloofwaardiger op. :fp:

biggz
04-03-2010, 01:26
Niks nieuws toch?
Doet hij met welke vechter die hij stiekem toch wel bij de UFC wilt hebben.
Fedor, Kimbo en nu Toney

Kemal
04-03-2010, 09:34
nou........die heeft zn beste tijd toch wel gehad hoor..

dirk5
04-03-2010, 09:36
dit slaat natuurlijk weer helemaal nergens op.

Harrie Nak
04-03-2010, 09:38
En het commentaar van "ho" Dana White:

"To be 100 percent honest with you, all [expletive] aside, I haven’t thought it out. I like James Toney. He’s one of the greatest boxers ever. I have tremendous respect for him. He said he wanted to fight in the UFC and I was interested. Now he’s here and I have to figure out what to do with him. What we won’t do is make a freak show out of it. I’d be the first to scream if someone else did that, so I’m not going to do it. Hey, I don’t want this to be seen as a joke, and it’s not like Herschel Walker or Canseco or any of those guys. James Toney is a fighter. The worst thing anyone can ever say to me is that they were watching one of my fights and they changed the channel. That’s why I’ll never put [expletive] fights on. James is an interesting case. We know how much talent he has as a boxer and he insists he’ll surprise people by how much MMA he knows. I’ve still got some thinking to do... James came to me and he literally chased me around the country to do it, so I’m giving him the chance. We’ll get it figured out one way or another."

Sendur
04-03-2010, 10:02
lame

Leventdepevent
04-03-2010, 10:20
ehm hier zit toch niemand op te wachten

YoMarK
04-03-2010, 10:35
Toney kan aardig boxen, en als hij dat aan weet te passen naar de standup voor MMA met MMA gloves(en b.v. het blocken van lowkicks), dan kan hij het op dat gebied iedereen moeilijk maken.
Stel dat die gast ook een goede takedown defence heeft, dan kan hij best wat leuke partijtjes draaien.

Hoe dan ook is dit een win-win situatie voor Dana.
1) Sowieso brengt Toney wat PPV kijkers(boxing fans) mee, $$$
2) Mocht hij vet verliezen of zelfs KO gaan, dan kan hij opscheppen over het geweldige allround en boxing niveau van de vechters in de UFC.
3) Mocht het boven verwachting wel goed gaan, dan heeft ie er weer een cashcow bij.

XanaduNL
04-03-2010, 10:36
Ik zie geen probleem. Misschien pas als hij keihard faalt.

dirk5
04-03-2010, 10:57
"I would rather have bleeding hemorrhoids than fight for the UFC. The Japanese MMA audience is the best in the world. They make magic! I would rather have one true Japanese MMA supporter than one million fake mainstream supporters that will turn their back on you as soon as you lose a fight. I don't care about things t...hat are mainstream." -Joachim "Hellboy" Hanson 3 jaar geleden.

el bastardo
04-03-2010, 11:03
Zucht! Gaat deze man voor aantrekkelijke partijen tegen aantrekkelijke tegenstanders zorgen? Blijven mensen hiervoor wakker buiten de VS? NEE! Dit gaat puur om de $$$$$$$$.

Sendur
04-03-2010, 11:12
Lol het is wel comisch om bij de laatste ufc events elke keer james tony achter dana aan te zien lopen. Ik zou ook gek van hem worden.

Contract geven en gewoon even af laten drogen.

Wel mooi om die uitspraak van hellboy te lezen dirk. Hij heeft wel gelijk.

Maarja hoe commercieel ufc ook is, het blijft leuk om te zien. (Ook met tony)

wrestler_nl
04-03-2010, 12:12
Ik zeg; Toney vs Kimbo Make it Happen

amilster
04-03-2010, 13:02
ik vind Tony een geweldige gast om naar te kijken, echt een van de betere boxers ook naar mijn mening alleen denk ik niet dat hij de transitie naar MMA kan maken en denk ik dat hij teveel op zijn standup gaat leunen waardoor hij waarschijnlijk binne de kortste keren naar de grond gesleurd gaat worden.
Maarrr Tony zou misschien ook nog weleens voor vuurwerk gaan zorgen en tegen een rechter counterpunch van deze gast moet je niet aanlopen met die MMA gloves, wie je ook bent.

superfreak
04-03-2010, 14:41
Hij zou ze eerste partij maar winnen door een gogoplata of zo. Dan staan we allemaal wel gek te kijken. Echter zal hij er vanuit gaan dat hij een hoop mensen ko slaat.

Wie willen we naast Kimbo als z'n eerste partij zien mensen?

Harrie Nak
04-03-2010, 14:59
Wellicht wordt het The Natural wel... :)

It'd crazy bit if I could be any one it would bhramaputra me . I love my everything o get to do . Hope to fight toney soon
about 6 hours ago (http://twitter.com/Randy_Couture/status/9963658129) via HTC Peep
Sorry I'm such a technical moron . I here cause I'm trying to respond to the fans . I hope they set me up with tony !
about 5 hours ago (http://twitter.com/Randy_Couture/status/9964293568) via HTC Peep

Milk
04-03-2010, 16:37
Ik zeg; Toney vs Kimbo Make it Happen

2x

Das een prima partij om te zien. Ik kan wel genieten van dat soort partijen, al weten we dat ze t afleggen tegen completere vechters. Geef ze gewoon leuke matchups en je krijgt toffe partijen.

dirk5
04-03-2010, 16:40
2x

Das een prima partij om te zien. Ik kan wel genieten van dat soort partijen, al weten we dat ze t afleggen tegen completere vechters. Geef ze gewoon leuke matchups en je krijgt toffe partijen.

Net zoals Kimbo-Alexander zeker? had net zo goed een kwartier naar een draaimolen kunnen kijken.

Harrie Nak
04-03-2010, 16:45
Purists have cried hypocrisy over news of boxing champion James Toney's new Ultimate Fighting Championship contract.

The 41-year-old boxing veteran got the usual line on Wednesday for well-known outsiders who make their way to MMA: he's an opportunist just looking to make a buck, he couldn't make it in his sport and can't go anywhere else, and he'll be obliterated by the "real fighters."

He is, in short, a freak show.

But several UFC heavyweights MMAjunkie.com spoke to Wednesday didn't condemn Toney for the move. Most, in fact, had more positive things to say than negative.

Pat Barry, a former kickboxer who's felled more than a few opponents with his leg kick, said the signing could raise the level of striking in the UFC.

"It's awesome, man," he said. "It just widens the pool of fighters. If it was up to me, I'd rather see someone get stung and knocked out versus submitted any day. If he hits you, you're going to get hurt. I'm looking forward to seeing him do damage if he can make the adjustment."

Todd Duffee, who scored the fastest knockout in UFC history this past August at UFC 102, said he understands purists' arguments but feels Toney's presence is a good business move for the promotion.

"I think the UFC's going to make a lot of money," he said. "There are people in the UFC he stands to beat. Yeah, it kind of makes a mockery of the sport, but James Toney is a fighter. I definitely respect him.

"I think it's kind of being blown out of proportion. There's world champion jiu-jitsu players that fight in the UFC. You don't tell them, 'Oh my god, you're going to mixed martial arts. Are you sure about that?'"

Paul Buentello, a former top UFC heavyweight contender, admires Toney's brazen campaign to earn his contract.

"I like the way he got the fight going," Buentello said. "He got in Dana White's head. He's a warrior. I think it's a good fit. He's just true. He brought it all out there and called everybody out. I think his actions are showing what he wants to do."

Even Brendan Schaub, a veteran of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" who initially criticized the decision to add former bareknuckle brawler Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson to the cast, is far more charitable to Toney's move.

"He's 41, so it's kind of a late start to get into it, but with is boxing background, it's trouble with those four-ounce gloves on," Schaub said. "Honestly, I'm surprised the UFC signed him with zero MMA fights. But with the right matchups, he could be exciting in the UFC. Even his jab can do damage do guys."

Heavyweights Chris Tuchscherer and Gilbert Yvel don't know who Toney is.

"That just goes to show you how much I follow boxing," Tuchscherer, a collegiate wrestling standout, said Wednesday evening with a laugh.

All of the heavyweights MMAjunkie.com spoke to agree that Toney faces an uphill battle inside the octagon.

"I always said you can bring a wrestler to an MMA fight, but you can't bring a boxer to MMA," Tuchscherer offered. "Most fights end up on the ground, and wrestlers are more comfortable when they're on the ground."

Schaub, a former arena football player who trains with heavyweight contender Shane Carwin, put it more bluntly.

"Someone would be stupid to trade with him," he said. "Once he goes to the ground, he's screwed."

Then again, Duffee said, stranger things have happened inside a cage. Former boxing king Ray Mercer knocked out five-time UFC champion Tim Sylvia in one punch this past June.

"We don't know anything about him," Duffee said. "We know how his boxing is, but we don't know how his [MMA is]. We don't know how he's going to react to a double leg or any kind of wrestling. He may be really friggin' good at it. There's just a lot of question marks around it."

Buentello said it will be hard for Toney to erase years of physical training centered toward boxing.

"It's going to be a different rhythm," he said. "It's a different pace. Boxers like to run five miles every morning. MMA is a spirit sport. It's going to take him a while to get adjusted to that. There are too many variables.

"I think he'll do just fine with the right opponent. If you get the wrong opponent, like Randy Couture or Rashad Evans, these good grapplers and wrestlers, he's going to have a hard time."

UFC president Dana White said on Wednesday that he has yet to formulate a plan for Toney's first octagon appearance.

The heavyweights were unanimous in their willingness to fight Toney. None, however, was opposed outright to his presence.

"It's dope, man," Barry said. "I want to fight him. Tonight."

Kemal
04-03-2010, 16:48
Zucht! Gaat deze man voor aantrekkelijke partijen tegen aantrekkelijke tegenstanders zorgen? Blijven mensen hiervoor wakker buiten de VS? NEE! Dit gaat puur om de $$$$$$$$.

deze ook:

http://www.themmanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tito-ortiz-8.jpg

Tony
04-03-2010, 16:51
ik vind Tony een geweldige gast om naar te kijken, echt een van de betere boxers ook naar mijn mening alleen denk ik niet dat hij de transitie naar MMA kan maken en denk ik dat hij teveel op zijn standup gaat leunen waardoor hij waarschijnlijk binne de kortste keren naar de grond gesleurd gaat worden.
Maarrr Tony zou misschien ook nog weleens voor vuurwerk gaan zorgen en tegen een rechter counterpunch van deze gast moet je niet aanlopen met die MMA gloves, wie je ook bent.

Thanks man.... Maar is echt te veel eer voor mij. Heb een dramatische (lees: geen) standup game. En qua grondwerk kom ik niet verder dan paar maandjes judo en paar maandjes BJJ. ;)

Emilio
04-03-2010, 17:32
Ik zie dit meer als een actie in de strijd tussen boxing vs MMA.

Denk dat Dana Tony als een voorbeeld gaat gebruiken. Hij laat hem een paar x hard afdrogen voor een hoop geld. Tony blij en Dana blij.

T15Boxing
04-03-2010, 18:01
Ik zie liever Ricardo Mayorga dan Toney in MMA. Als ze zo nodig toch een washed up boxer willen hebben kies er dan een die een offensieve stijl heeft zodat ie tenminste een puncher's chance heeft.

Kut Toney gaat onze sport voor gek zetten en hij heeft er schijt aan($$$$):boos:

amilster
04-03-2010, 19:39
Thanks man.... Maar is echt te veel eer voor mij. Heb een dramatische (lees: geen) standup game. En qua grondwerk kom ik niet verder dan paar maandjes judo en paar maandjes BJJ. ;)

Whahhaah maar Tony dat je nu een klein buikje hebt zegt helemaal niets hoor kijk maar naar Roy Nelson en niet te vergeten Fedor (waar je trouwens een goede pot tegen kan neerzetten daar ben ik van overtuigd:) gewoon ff een beetje takedown defence (eigenlijk niet nodig want als er wordt geshoot geef je ze gewoon een van je beruchte lage uppercuts) oefenen en je bent er eigenkijk al.
Ik ga gewoon vol voor onze Tony!!! :D

nlthaboss
04-03-2010, 20:51
Toney kan aardig boxen, en als hij dat aan weet te passen naar de standup voor MMA met MMA gloves(en b.v. het blocken van lowkicks), dan kan hij het op dat gebied iedereen moeilijk maken.
Stel dat die gast ook een goede takedown defence heeft, dan kan hij best wat leuke partijtjes draaien.

Hoe dan ook is dit een win-win situatie voor Dana.
1) Sowieso brengt Toney wat PPV kijkers(boxing fans) mee, $$$
2) Mocht hij vet verliezen of zelfs KO gaan, dan kan hij opscheppen over het geweldige allround en boxing niveau van de vechters in de UFC.
3) Mocht het boven verwachting wel goed gaan, dan heeft ie er weer een cashcow bij.

Ik sluit me hier helemaal mee aan. Aan het einde van de dag gaat het toch vooral om de $$$, en met Toney binnenhalen zal dat bijna een garantie zijn.

delightone
05-03-2010, 07:53
Ik ben benieuwd wat de toney kan doen zolang het staand blijft.
Maar zodra ze een echte kickboxer tegenover hem zetten, dan ziet toney waarschijnlijk ze eigen voeten langs zijn gezicht komen ala manhoef vs lawler.
Zetten ze een worstelaar tegen hem dan wordt ze hoofd binnenste buiten gemept met GnP.
Komt er een Bjj-er tegen te staan die het naar de grond kan brengen neemt ie waarschijnlijk een arme of been mee naar huis of laat hem binnen 30 sec slapen met een choke.

Een van de weinige partijen die ik hem zie winnen is tegen kimbo slice als die nog niet geleerd heeft hoe hij succesvol een takedown kan maken.

Ps. dit was toch die mafkees die het over een side check kick had hahah.

Slome
05-03-2010, 19:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0qFFA_c1A&feature=player_embedded