PDA

View Full Version : interview Shinya Aoki over Strikeforce/Melendez

dirk5
04-03-2010, 09:46
On fighting in Strikeforce as a DREAM fighter:

Quote:
I'm thankful to have received a title match offer from Strikeforce. Honestly, I'm very happy right now. I won't be here for the events in March, April, and May even though I'm a central pillar of DREAM. Some may think that's not right and I thought about that too. But on NYE, DREAM proved that its the best in Asia. I think I'm the best in the world and certainly far and away the best in Japan. Should I limit myself to fight only in Japan? During this recession I think I'm the only one who can carry all the weight on my back and let it all hang out by taking on all comers globally.

I've always said that Japanese MMA is the best, so it's impossible for me not to go overseas. I want to go over (to the States) and decisively win to prove that DREAM's lightweight champion is the best in the world. If I lose I look at it as the end of DREAM so I don't take this challenge lightly. I'll put it all on the line and show what I'm made of. During PRIDE I said that I'm one in six billion. I want people to say, "Oh so this is the guy people have been talking about." I want to regain that "one in six billion" title in DREAM. Let's meet next time with a belt wrapped around my waist.

Aoki vs Melendez was actually scheduled to happen at PRIDE Bushido 13 (November 2006). However Melendez had to pull out due to injury. On Melendez as a fighter:

Quote:
It wasn't meant to be four years ago, but I think he is an A-level fighter and the Strikeforce champion. But I'm also an A-level fighter. I think the fight will be an awesome one with both fans from Japan and the US leaving happy.

On the rules differences in DREAM and Strikeforce:

Quote:
It will be my first time fighting in a cage, but no one's a bigger cage otaku than me. I feel that my skill set works equally well in both the ring and the cage. This is coming from a rabid sports fan, but DREAM uses 5 ropes, right? So your feet never go outside the ring and it's close to being a wall. I don't think there's much difference.

On not being allowed to wear his famous tights in the Strikeforce cage:

Quote:
I'll take them off! I don't have a choice, do I. I haven't been able to show off my legs lately so it should be good (laughter).

On using elbows:

Quote:
If there's instances where I can use my elbows, I will. It will be business as usual for me.

On going after the UFC champion:

Quote:
There's no chance that I'll go to the UFC. If the UFC wants to come to Japan, let's do it.

On fighting Kawajiri:

Quote:
I have my sight set on that. Aoki isn't leaving DREAM. I don't want people to misunderstand. This fight was an offer made to me through Sasahara-san. I plan on defending my DREAM belt when the time comes.

WAR AOKI!!!!!!

Ivo C.
04-03-2010, 10:23
I am I am I am...
I amsterdam

Ring and Cage is a biiiiig difference...

Mule-Kick
04-03-2010, 10:46
WAR Aoki! Ben benieuwd hoe hij het strax gaat doen in de kooi en zonder zn rainbow-submission pants :P