PDA

View Full Version : Coker: Relationship with M-1 strong, Emelianenko news expected "in a couple of days"

Harrie Nak
05-03-2010, 07:43
When it became apparent that Strikeforce's second show on network television would be held without the presence of heavyweight superstar Fedor Emelianenko, numerous theories were put together by a variety of MMA observers.

All of them seemed to spell certain doom for the partnership between Strikeforce and M-1 Global, the company that represents Emelianenko and of which he is a partial owner.

But Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker today told MMAjunkie.com that the relationship with M-1 Global is still in fine shape, and he said he's in the final stages of negotiations for Emelianenko's next Strikeforce co-promoted fight.

"I can tell you this: we've been having really good dialogue with M-1 Global and (M-1 Global president) Vadim Finkelchtein, and I think we're in the final stages of buttoning everything up to make that happen again," Coker said. "I think we'll have an announcement soon on that, but I feel very confident we'll be promoting Fedor here in the near future."

Rumors have run rampant that the business ties between the Strikeforce and M-1 Global have soured since the two companies co-promoted this past November's "Fedor vs. Rogers" event.

Coker admitted there were a few items that needed to be addressed, but he felt the situation was anything but critical.

"When I dealt with companies in Japan (during my time with K-1), it's the same thing," Coker said. "You have cultural differences, and you have expectations. When expectations and the cultural differences meet with the cultural differences here and the expectations of an American company, sometimes there's some differences, and there's some things that we needed to button up.

"We're at the 11th hour of getting this done, and I think in a couple of days we'll have something to announce."

While it's certainly too late to work out a potential late addition to April 17's "Strikeforce: Nashville" show, Coker said he doesn't expect Emelianenko to stay out of commission for too long.

"It depends how long it takes to button everything up, but I would say sometime in the later part of the second quarter or beginning part of the third quarter, you'll see Fedor back in the cage fighting on a co-promotion between Strikeforce and M-1 Global," Coker said. "Depending on how long it takes to button things up – I mean, he's going to need what, 60 or 70 days to get ready – that will determine when he fights."

And when Emelianenko does return, Coker said it won't necessarily be on CBS.

"The rumors that I hear about 'he has to fight on CBS' are absolutely untrue," Coker said. "We have a good relationship with Showtime. Eventually, Fedor will be in the pay-per-view business with M-1 and Strikeforce and CBS and Showtime collectively contributing. There's not a certain media partner that he has to fight on. That's never been part of his contract, so that's all just speculation and rumors."

So it appears Strikeforce may be involved in another Emelianenko fight sooner rather than later. And perhaps most importantly for those vested in the future of the California-based promotion, Coker said the financial success of Strikeforce does not rest on the shoulders of "The Last Emperor."

"Our company is not built off of one athlete," Coker said. "Our company, we have some amazing athletes on our roster now, and we've got some of the best fighters in the world. I think they can compete against anybody. Fedor is an amazing athlete. I've followed his career for many years. Fedor is Fedor, and he's an amazing asset, but our company is not built financially off of just one guy.

"Believe me, my guys are very smart about building a model that works for us and works for M-1 Global. I think that we're at that point where that had to be looked at. We looked at it. We're not going to put all of our eggs into one basket and roll the dice with one guy. We're built for longevity. This is not a sprint; this is going to be a long-distance race."

micha
05-03-2010, 08:12
Thanks. dat had ik niet verwacht

dirk5
05-03-2010, 08:37
Thanks. dat had ik niet verwacht

Jullie moddergooi compagne heeft dus niet het gewenste resultaat gehad.

jammer :) :) :)

micha
05-03-2010, 08:46
[quote=dirk5;884016]Jullie moddergooi compagne heeft dus niet het gewenste resultaat gehad.

?

Sendur
05-03-2010, 08:56
Jullie moddergooi compagne heeft dus niet het gewenste resultaat gehad.

jammer :) :) :)

hehe

Ivo C.
het bedoelt aleen maar dat Fedor in zomer gaat vechten...
Ik find dit echt klote...

dirk5
[quote=dirk5;884016]Jullie moddergooi compagne heeft dus niet het gewenste resultaat gehad.

?

Nou ik lees al enkele dagen hele rare opmerkingen van jou omtrent Fedor....

Zou niet willen vechten...
Zou op het punt staan om uit elkaar te gaan met Strikeforce....

Zoals altijd zonder beschreven bron, maar meer uit het wishfull thinking.

Gelukkig zit je andermaal fout :)

carlsson
05-03-2010, 15:30
geroddel is geroddel zolang niets officieel is dan kun je alleen maar gissen wat gaat komen en reken er maar op dat FEDOR niemand uit de weg gaat.

Slome
12-03-2010, 13:32
M-1 Global have found something new to stall over while renegotiating with Strikeforce over the terms of their joint agreement, explaining that the way the media promoted the show in November left many people unaware that it was a co-promotion.
Speaking via Yahoo!Sports.com, M-1 Global spokesman, Eugene Kogan said:

“The way the show was promoted, that was an issue to us, but we don’t have an issue with Strikeforce over it. M-1 isn’t a management company for Fedor Emelianenko. We are a fight promotion… But the media didn’t feature the M-1 name… Specifically, it wasn’t Strikeforce’s fault. They honored their agreement. The way the media perceived the event was it was Strikeforce. M-1 wasn’t promoted that much. That was an issue with us.”
On the issue of Fedor Emelianenko’s next fight, Kogan said that even talk of a June return was “premature”, adding:

“We’re almost there. Once we get that part out of the way, then we’ll decide on an opponent and a date. No fight is scheduled.”
Many fans and people in the media have called this latest move deliberate stalling tactics on the behalf of M-1 Global as they attempt to flex their promotional muscle in the world of MMA. It makes you wonder whether they would try this sort of thing had they hooked up with the UFC or whether they feel they bully Strikeforce into the position they want.

Slome
12-03-2010, 17:45
Het zijn lange maar interessante stukken...:

M-1 Global's Co-Promotional Strategy Fails to Bring Brand Familiarity

When the current deal between Strikeforce and M-1 Global was signed as a co-promotional contract that would combine both brands and allow Strikeforce to obtain the services of Fedor Emelianenko, mixed martial arts fans everywhere let out a long sigh of frustration. Many fans have attributed M-1 Global's involvement and Fedor's high demands as the sole reasons why promotions who have worked with the Russia-based organization have fallen into deep financial trouble.

Now, M-1 Global and Fedor Emelianenko are trying to work out a re-negotiation of their contract, a current deal that is only one fight into the obligated three-fight contract. Some of the rumors circulating revolve around the potential for M-1 Global to seek out higher cash payouts while others believe M-1 Global is trying to remove themselves from the contract in order to seek out more lucrative deals in Japan or perhaps the UFC.

M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan spoke with Dave Meltzer at Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ys-mmaweek031010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) about one snag that M-1 Global may never be able to hurdle over in the re-negotiation:

Kogan allowed that M-1 Global was disappointed in what happened with the promotion of the last fight, but was quick to say the problem wasn’t with Strikeforce. He said he was disappointed in media coverage of the event because the M-1 Global name in stories on the show wasn’t featured more visibly.

"The way the show was promoted, that was an issue to us, but we don’t have an issue with Strikeforce over it," Kogan said. "M-1 isn’t a management company for Fedor Emelianenko. We are a fight promotion. We have done matches all over the world, U.S., Asia, Europe, Japan. But the media didn’t feature the M-1 name [in coverage of the November show]. Specifically, it wasn’t Strikeforce’s fault. They honored their agreement. The way the media perceived the event was it was Strikeforce. M-1 wasn’t promoted that much. That was an issue with us."

CBS promoted the November show more as "CBS Saturday Night Fights" as opposed to promoting the Strikeforce or M-1 Global brand names. "For us, this is a really big deal," Kogan said. "We’re concerned about our brand. For us, it’s an important piece of the big picture."

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/403069/strikeforce_fedor_vs_rogers_poster.jpg

This is an issue that I thought about quite a bit following the Rogers vs. Fedor battle back in November. Exactly how much exposure is M-1 Global actually getting from this current deal? If the above image of the Rogers vs. Fedor promotional poster is any indication, M-1 Global isn't receiving much at all. That Rockstar Energy drink logo has more familiarity with fans.

So, who's fault is it? M-1 Global is at fault here. Familiarity is obviously something they are shooting for, but throwing your logo up in front of millions of viewers once every year isn't going to give you any staying power in a casual mixed martial arts fan's memory.

++++++++

While most fans have a bad taste in their mouth in regards to M-1 Global's shady contract dealings and over-the-top demands, let's look at this from a hypothetical point of view. If M-1 Global was a promotion that produced quality smaller regional shows, had a fairly good reputation in pleasing fighters, and wasn't perceived as a horrible organization, would that even matter in the advertising market of North America?

Probably not. It's no surprise that M-1 Global isn't receiving the exposure they want, and it should be pretty apparent that they'll never receive that kind of attention. Strikeforce has been in the North American market for over 20 years promoting several cards with Showtime over the past few years.

The look and feel of each of the CBS shows screams Strikeforce, something most hardcore MMA fans are familiar with... there's that word again. Are we seeing a trend here?

Kogan is blaming CBS and Showtime for this ordeal, but what did they expect? CBS and Showtime likely want to work with a company that's been established, is known for being rather easy to work with, and doesn't have a reputation of ridiculous demands. M-1 Global is the exact opposite of that statement with the exception that they've been in business for quite some time promoting outside of the United States.

http://mma-fighter-videos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/m-1-global-logo.jpg

I'm assuming Kogan wants to see something along the lines of "M-1 Global/Strikeforce Presents CBS Saturday Night Fights", but that isn't going to happen. M-1 Global is never going to get the exposure they want in the North American market unless they build a promotion from the ground up and find some sort of television deal for their own organization.

Since it's likely we won't see better exposure for M-1 Global, be ready for a M-1 Global bailout strategy or an attempt to increase payouts for Fedor to compensate. M-1 Global needs to realize that CBS wants to draw in fans, and Strikeforce has more brand recognition than M-1 Global. M-1 simply doesn't keep their name in front of fans enough to allow any casual fan to remember who they are or what they're promoting.

bron: bloodyelbow

Sendur
12-03-2010, 18:03
Dana zei in Australie nog: We will get him this year. (Fedor)

Marquis
12-03-2010, 20:07
Wat een hoop geouwuhoer zeg .. het lijkt wel As the world turns als het om SF gaat en haar vechters.

Ondertussen heeft er nog niemand gevochten.

Slome
18-03-2010, 20:29
Strikeforce CEO, Scott Coker gives an update on the situation with Fedor and M-1 Global

Strikeforce CEO, Scott Coker gives an update on the current situation regarding the return to the cage of WAMMA heavyweight champion, Fedor Emelianenko and the contract wrangling with his management team, M-1 Global.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/9769-ScottCokerSF0409_8055.jpg

Bekijk hier de Video (http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Coker-Reacts-to-UFC-Counter-Programming-Latest-on-Fedor-M-1-Talks-23282embed_code_lightbox/index/113/single/133779/shd005/10/420/340/0/false/source/http:www.sherdog.comnewsarticlesCoker-Reacts-to-UFC-Counter-Programming-Latest-on-Fedor-M-1-Talks-23282)