PDA

View Full Version : Babalu signs with Dream

Ivo C.
18-03-2010, 13:19
For the LHW Tournament...
Do I see a rematch comming up???

"For the first time in nearly nine years, Renato "Babalu" Sobral (35-8) is Japan-bound.

The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion and UFC contender has signed a multi-fight contract with DREAM and will participate in the promotion's upcoming light heavyweight tournament, which is set to begin May 30 at DREAM.15.

Richard Wilner, Sobral's attorney and manager, confirmed the news Wednesday with MMAjunkie.com (http://mmajunkie.com/) (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com
(http://www.mmajunkie.com)) and said the deal was done with Strikeforce's blessing.

"The opportunity presented itself, and we've been asking to fight, and it seemed the soonest opportunity to fight is in DREAM," Wilner said. "The way we see it is we're representing Strikeforce in Japan."

Sobral's first-round tournament opponent has not been determined.

In January, DREAM announced plans for the light heavyweight tournament as part of seven events scheduled for 2010. However, officials did not confirm the tournament's start date, location or the number of fighters scheduled to participate (the total could be eight or 16).

Current Strikeforce light heavyweight titleholder Gegard Mousasi is a lock for the DREAM tournament, according to officials.

According to Wilner, Sobral is dead set on a rematch with Mousasi, who took his Strikeforce belt in 60 seconds in his most recent performance this past August at "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg."

"Taking nothing away from Gegard, it wasn't 'Babalu' in the cage that night," Wilner said." - of course...:sleep1:

Mule-Kick
18-03-2010, 13:36
En ook al was het wel de echte Babula geweest had ie nog dik verloren.
Denk niet dat een rematch veel anders zal gaan.

ondiep
18-03-2010, 13:52
X2 in een rematch zal er niet veel veranderen

maartenjackie
18-03-2010, 13:54
Ik wou al Zeggen Indd, sobral viel me erg tegen toen

wrestler_nl
18-03-2010, 13:56
Ik vind Babalu een leuke vechter maar tegen Mousasi was hij idd kansloos!

dirk5
18-03-2010, 14:17
Babalu zal ook de volgende keer weer net zo snel ko geslagen worden....

Dat noemen ze karma, en heeft te maken met chokes vasthouden....

Harrie Nak
18-03-2010, 14:34
Grootspraak. Je kunt wel zien dat ie met Mo Lawal traint.

Harrie Nak
18-03-2010, 16:53
Mousasi, Sokoudjou, Babalu in Dream Grand Prix

Gegard Mousasi, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Renato Sobral will all be participating in the Dream Light Heavyweight Grand Prix, which will begin on May 30 at Dream 15.

Mousasi confirmed his own participation in an interview with MMAFighting.com on Wednesday, and Dream officials confirmed that Sokoudjou and Babalu will be part of the tournament as well.

"I'm going to be busy," Mousasi said. "I'm fighting for Strikeforce in April, then I'll start the Dream light heavyweight tournament in May, then I'll be back to Strikeforce, then the next round of the Dream tournament, and I hope to fight in Japan in New Year's Eve as well."

Mousasi said he doesn't know all the details of the Dream tournament, but it is expected to be an eight-man tournament that will conclude some time in the summer or fall.

Mousasi, Sokoudjou and Sobral all fight for Strikeforce as well as Dream, and their presence is part of the co-promotional strategy of the two organizations. Sobral's manager told MMAjunkie.com he views the tournament as an opportunity to represent Strikeforce in Japan. Most of the best light heavyweights in MMA fight in the UFC, but the presence of multiple Strikeforce fighters will allow the Dream tournament to showcase the best of the light heavyweight division outside the UFC.

Mule-Kick
18-03-2010, 17:50
Op zich een cool idee zo'n GP alleen heeft Mousasi zowel Babalu als Sokoudjou natuurlijk al eerder verslagen. Benieuwd wie ze verder nog aan deze GP willen laten meedoen. King Mo maybe, maarja daar moet Mousasi binnekort zowieso al tegen. Hendo wellicht? En Minowa zal wel weer meedoen :p