PDA

View Full Version : Van Strikeforce naar Dream ? * spoiler *

marcelt
18-04-2010, 21:53
Sorry, beetje vage titel, maar anders krijg je weer klachten van bepaalde personen.

New Strikeforce champ "King Mo" Lawal could enter DREAM's light-heavyweight grand prix

http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/fighters/muhammed-lawal-9.jpg

– With a lopsided unanimous-decision win over Gegard Mousasi at Saturday's "Strikeforce: Nashville" event, Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal claimed the Strikeforce light-heavyweight title, picked up his biggest career win, and threw the organization's 205-pound division into disarray.

Or as Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker put it, Lawal single-handedly "reshuffled the deck" of the division.

Coker isn't sure what's next for Lawal, but he's not counting out one possibility: entrance into DREAM's upcoming light-heavyweight grand prix.

DREAM, a Japanese-based promotion that struck a partnership with Strikeforce in 2009, increasingly has been swapping talent with its U.S. partners. So when the promotion kicks off its 205-pound grand prix next month, Lawal (7-0 MMA, 2-0 SF) could be part of the field.

As MMAjunkie.com previously reported, fighters such as Mousasi, former Strikeforce champ Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Rameau Thierry Sokodjou and Christian M'Pumbu are expected to compete in the tourney.

Could Lawal join the field?

"That's really up to Mo," Coker told MMAjunkie.com. "I think it was offered to Mo, and that's definitely something we'll have a conversation about later. I know the DREAM tournament starts in May, and we'll talk about it."

And you, Mo?

"DREAM is a great organization," Lawal said. "I just got to make sure they pay on time."

Coker quickly changed the subject, but Lawal was referring to a growing number of gripes from American fighters who claim the organization has been slow to pay fighters. (DREAM officials deny the delays are intentional and could result from a number of factors.)

Lawal dominated his fight with Mousasi in a CBS-televised opener. With his wrestling background, which included Division I All-American honors and a run that fell just short of the 2008 Olympics, Lawal used takedowns and top control to grind out a decision victory while snapping Mousasi's 15-fight win streak. However, he suffered damage in the fight – one eye swelled shut early in the bout – and Lawal would have just six weeks to recover before the start of the May 30 grand prix.

If Lawal does skip the tournament, Coker is confident he can find challengers for the champ. But it's no secret that the light-heavyweight division is arguably Strikeforce's weakest, and despite the beatdown, Mousasi is still the clear No. 2 fighter in the weight class. Coker said a rematch could happen in the future, and he mentioned Sokodjou as another possibility. An expected bout between Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante and Antwain Britt could also produce a legit contender, and if main-event loser Dan Henderson returns to the light-heavyweight division, he too is an option.

Regardless, Lawal isn't making any demands.

"I don't know," he said. "It's up to the man (Coker). I just fight who they put in front of me."

Pahlavan
18-04-2010, 22:15
mousasi die doet daar toch ook aan mee? dan zou het toch zomaar kunnen dat ze weer tegenover elkaar staan?! of zie ik het nou verkeerd...

GerritTonijn
18-04-2010, 22:19
mousasi die doet daar toch ook aan mee? dan zou het toch zomaar kunnen dat ze weer tegenover elkaar staan?! of zie ik het nou verkeerd...

dat zie je goed, en dat wordt een zelfde gevecht.

iconian
18-04-2010, 22:24
mo heeft gezegd nooit tegen babalu te vechten, trainingsmaatjes

en die doet zeker ook mee

maar sokoudjou-king mo en een paar andere partijen zouden wel interessant zijn, mousasi rematch in de eerste plaats