PDA

View Full Version : Randleman vs. Gracie bout in jeopardy

Harrie Nak
05-05-2010, 10:09
Het is weer zover met Randleman... :(

A light heavyweight bout between Kevin Randleman and Roger Gracie scheduled for Strikeforce "Heavy Artillery" on May 15 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Mo., is in jeopardy, Sherdog.com has learned.

"I'm sick and I think I might have a little bit of a staph infection," an aggravated Randleman told Sherdog.com on Tuesday. "They might have to replace me."

Randleman said his physician would tell him on Wednesday if he is healthy enough to fight in 11 days. The former UFC champion, who was hospitalized for a lung infection in 2006 and a staph infection in 2007 that required surgery, said the illness has made it difficult for him to train and eat.

The 38-year-old Pride Fighting Championships veteran trains in four gyms in Las Vegas, he said, but doesn’t blame the facilities for his current state.

"I've trained for Gracie for 14 weeks, and I might get taken out by some nasty a-- people who can’t wash their butts, their feet," said Randleman. "I'm livid. I take six showers every day. I’m anal about cleanliness. I take a shower before I get into bed with my wife. If I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm sweaty, I take a shower."

Randleman said that if he is forced to withdraw from the bout, he will also consider retirement. Still recognized as one of the most explosive athletes to ever enter the sport, the former Ohio State University wrestler has gone 1-2 since returning from his ailments to MMA in 2008.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told Sherdog.com late Tuesday that if Randleman is deemed unfit to fight next week, the promotion would look to find a replacement to face Gracie, the world-decorated Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt.

The 6-foot-4 Gracie is 2-0 in MMA. The 28-year-old fighter submitted UFC veteran Ron Waterman at a Bodog Fight event in December 2006 and longtime Pancrase star Yuki Kondo at a Sengoku event in May 2008.

wrestler_nl
05-05-2010, 10:48
Jammer voor randleman, maar hij is niet meer wat ie is geweest

lopez86
05-05-2010, 10:50
Kut. gewoon kut.

Sportvision
05-05-2010, 13:01
dus, hij douched 6x per dag, wast hiermee zijn beschermende vetlaagje weg, en krijgt vervolgens staph omdat ie zichzelf zoveel doucht. Ironie is a bitch.

Lionheart
05-05-2010, 13:19
Klote voor Randleman!

Het blijft in je systeem zitten , voor je het weet heb je het weer volledig te pakken, wat nu ook weer het geval is.

Erg jammer, hoop hem snel weer in actie te zien.

Remco
05-05-2010, 13:32
Zes keer douchen is volgens mij levensgevaarlijk. Mafkees.

Harrie Nak
07-05-2010, 09:22
Strikeforce has confirmed that Kevin Randleman has been medically cleared to fight Roger Gracie on May 15, a day after an illness called into question whether Randleman would be able to fight.

Randleman began to feel sick with what he believed was a staph infection while preparing for the Gracie fight, and he feared that he might need to bow out. The 38-year-old Randleman even told Sherdog that he would consider retiring if he couldn't get medical clearance to fight on May 15.

But a doctor has told Randleman he's healthy enough to go ahead and fight on the Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery card in St. Louis, which is headlined by Brett Rogers vs. Alistair Overeem.

Randleman, a former UFC heavyweight champion with a 17-14 record, is much more experienced than Gracie, who has competed more in Brazilian jiu jitsu than in MMA and is only 2-0. But Randleman is just 3-9 since 2003 and has to be considered an underdog, especially after a training camp that was disrupted by an illness.