PDA

View Full Version : Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic almost missed his fight against Pat Barry

Pahlavan
15-06-2010, 02:22
http://mmahits.com/organizations/ufc/cro-crop-detained-by-canadian-officals-almost-missed-ufc-115-bout-with-barry/

Reports have revealed that UFC heavyweight, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic almost missed his fight against Pat Barry last Saturday due to intensive questioning by Canadian immigration officials. A former soldier and current member of Croatian Parliament, Filipovic was threatened with deportation after he refused to provide details of his military background or name individuals he served with.

“The first day I was kept for four hours and two more the next day. Although they were not satisfied with my answers they let me go to the hotel in the city, to sleep. They asked me to think about the questions raised. I was threatened with deportation, but appealed to the Croatian Embassy. The Consul was urgently flown in from Ottawa, and the UFC hired the best lawyer for immigration issues. They obviously knew what would happen because my lawyer was on the runway at the airport! The inquiry was painful for me, but I must say that the Immigration Bureau officials very correctly performed their job. They used what they have to, but there are obviously very interested in the military and police matters from the former Yugoslavia. Most of them were interested in my military service. I served in 1993-1994 as a conscripts, but I was not involved in combat activities. They asked me if I was involved in the torture of civilians, asking for names of command lines and tactical commanders. They were asking for details of my activities in Lucko ATJ [anti-terrorist unit] which I joined a few years after the war. They gave me a list of names for me to confirm, but I did not do it. I can not confirm one name because it is still a matter of dignity and principles. I said to myself, ‘If it comes to it I am ready to go home‘. They could have done what they wanted with me but they let me fight.”

Fortunately for “Cro Cop,” he entered the Octagon as scheduled, resulting in a much needed win over Barry and earning an $85,000 submission of the night bonus in the process.

vrane
15-06-2010, 08:37
Zeer vreemd verhaal he. Willekeurig iemand gaan ondervragen zonder enig bewijs? En dan vragen naar de leden van LUCKO? Redelijk schandalig.