PDA

View Full Version : Jake Shields wants Strikeforce champions Nick Diaz and Gilbert Melendez in the UFC

Harrie Nak
08-07-2010, 22:45
Even though he is yet to sign with the UFC, the recently released former Strikeforce champion Jake Shields is looking to bring some of his teammates into the Octagon with him.

Who does he think is ready for the biggest MMA stage? In a recent interview with BJPenn.com, Shields said that Nick Diaz and Gilbert Melendez should make the transition.

"I would love to see Gilbert and Nick in the UFC," Shields told BJPenn.com. "Even though Strikeforce is a good show, everyone knows it's the number two show. They have a handful of good fighters, but all the top competition is in the UFC, and I feel that Nick and Gilbert are good enough to fight at the highest level. I would love to see them come over and once I get signed I'll have to put that in Dana's ear."

Diaz and Shields are currently the cream of the crop in Strikeforce, as they are, respectively, the welterweight and lightweight title holders.

"I think they are two of the best of the best," Shields said. "I know the UFC likes having the best of the best and it just makes sense for them to be there."

But UFC President Dana White was not a fan of the post-Strikeforce: Nashville brawl, where members of the Gracie camp engaged in a fight with Jason Miller, and does not want that type of behavior in his organization. Therefore, White might be skeptical about bringing the two Strikeforce fighters into the Octagon. However, Shields said that whatever problems have risen in the past between the fighters, specifically Diaz, and the UFC, can be worked out.

In light of all this, with Shields' recent release from Strikeforce, he is currently not attached to any organization, although the possible connection between him and the UFC has been palpable for months. Even though he did not end his contract with Strikeforce on good terms, he still respects the organization, calling them "great," while still saying that "they are clearly the number two organization."

"I think I'm in my prime and I've had a great first part of my career, and I feel it's time to go to the big show," said Shields. "They (Strikeforce) don't seem really interested in building top young fighters in their prime. They had a great batch of young fighters like me, Nick, Gil and King Mo, but they weren't interested in great young fighters. And instead, all the push went to 'has beens' like Shamrock and Cung Le."