PDA

View Full Version : George St Pierre stopt na een gevecht met Anderson Silva

Devilprince
13-07-2010, 10:51
"People are going to be shocked," St-Pierre said of his tentative retirement plan.

St-Pierre (20-2 MMA, 15-2 UFC) currently is in Las Vegas wrapping up a coaching stint on "The Ultimate Fighter 12" opposite top contender Josh Koscheck (15-4 MMA, 13-4 UFC). The two are expected to meet sometime at the end of the year in a traditional season-ending fight between "TUF" coaches.

Beyond that, he's done some additional planning. In fact, St-Pierre said his potential retirement plan recently came about while he was setting goals for his remaining career.

"Growing up in my career, I always fix my goals very high," he said. "And every time I achieve one of my [goals], I fix another goal to reach. It's important as a martial artist [never to be] satisfied because otherwise there is no point to keep doing what you're doing."

As to what goals remain, there are a few. St-Pierre has achieved what he initially set out to do: become a professional fighter, become a UFC fighter, and finally, become a UFC champion.

Being considered the best overall fighter in the world? That's the one goal he thinks currently is unmet.

That doesn't mean he's complacent, of course. In his second run as welterweight champion, St-Pierre has taken on four consecutive contenders and soundly beaten them all. At the end of the year, he will attempt to tie former champion Matt Hughes' record of five consecutive title defenses when he meets Koscheck.

Still, some fans believe St-Pierre already has cleaned out his division. He's already beaten all the division's top contenders – Koscheck, Jon Fitch, Thiago Alves and Dan Hardy – and some point to a middleweight showdown against current champion Anderson Silva as a final hurdle to the pound-for-pound crown. Silva is still widely considered to be the holder of that unofficial title. St-Pierre knows he could snatch it away by beating him.

But St-Pierre said a move up in weight would likely come near the end of his career, and it won't come anytime soon.

"If I go up in weight, it's going to be hard to go down," he said. "If I put on lean muscle like I already did recently ... it's going to be hard to come back down. So it's not like I go up and I go down. I have to be very careful with what I do."

Still, if St-Pierre takes "a couple" of welterweight fights in the next year or two, and if Silva is still the pound-for-pound king at that point, the French-Canadian then would consider moving up to fight him. And if he defeats Silva, that's a win worthy of retirement, he said.

"If one day I fight at 185 pounds for a superfight to know who is the best pound-for-pound in the world, (and) if I reach my goal, then my goal will be reached," St-Pierre said. "There will be no point for me to still compete because I'm not going to have a goal left."

St-Pierre also said he wants to secure his and his family's future before he takes the risk of moving up, though money and fame aren't the driving forces in his career.

"Of course, the money's there," he said. "The difference between me and a lot of fighters ... (is that) a lot of fighters fight for the fame. They fight for the money.

"Yeah, the money is there. It's pleasant. The money is there. It's good that I have this security. I have a lot of money now. It's good. But there is a lot of things I can do outside of mixed martial arts ... because of the name that I reached with MMA, that the UFC helped me to have.

"The fame is the same thing. I didn't have it in the beginning, and now I have it. But if one day I reach my goal of becoming the best pound-for-pound (fighter) of all-time, it will be time for me to retire. But I don't know right now, at 29 years old, if I want to retire. So it's better I have to stick around."

UFC champ St-Pierre would consider retirement after Silva win, top-fighter ranking | MMAjunkie.com
(http://mmajunkie.com/news/19910/ufc-champ-st-pierre-would-consider-retirement-after-silva-win-top-fighter-ranking.mma)

Mule-Kick
13-07-2010, 11:07
Zit wel wat in om niet te gaan pendelen tussen gewichtsklassen maar gewoon echt verantwoord omhoog te gaan in gewicht. En als ie Silva verslaat heeft hij idd weinig meer te bewijzen. Maar goed zover is het gelukkig nog lang niet..

Tony
13-07-2010, 11:12
gelijk heeft ie... bezint eer ge begint.

superfreak
13-07-2010, 11:17
Snap z'n punt wel. Echter weet je wat ze zeggen. je bent pas een champ als je je belt verdedigd hebt. Dus een rematch tegen Silva moet er dan in elk geval komen. Wint hij die dan mag hij inderdaad met pensioen gaan.

blackadder
13-07-2010, 12:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VavgrOXca0U

lopez86
13-07-2010, 12:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VavgrOXca0U

BLASPHEMY!!!
Hoe durf je???:mad:

Baske
13-07-2010, 12:51
Wat een bout filmpje was dat zeg.

GerritTonijn
13-07-2010, 13:56
moet die eerst maar eens zien te winnen van Kos, wat ik niet zie gebeuren.

Nusaniwe
13-07-2010, 14:54
Door Silva te verslaan is hij bij meeste mensen nog niet Greatest Of All Time, dat blijft dan nog Fedor bij meeste mensen. Mischien denkt hij dan van wel en anders is er over 10 jaar mischien wel weer iemand anders die hem zal evenaren of toppen. Hij zal gewoon meer grote namen moeten verslaan wil hij echt met een grote stap boven de rest komen.

superfreak
13-07-2010, 14:56
Op de een of andere manier zie ik het hem tegen Kos inderdaad moeilijk krijgen. Echter ben ik bang dat hij met z'n stakedown en controle op de grond zonder ooit iets te doen wel de overwinning eruit sleept.

Baske
13-07-2010, 15:54
zonder ooit iets te doen
Om de een of andere manier betwijfel ik dat wel...

blackadder
13-07-2010, 17:50
BLASPHEMY!!!
Hoe durf je???:mad:
Ey...don't shoot the messenger. Tenzij het een voetballer is.

el bastardo
13-07-2010, 22:48
Van Kotscheck wint ie easy. Tegen Silva gaat hij de boot in. Bridge too far...

el bastardo
13-07-2010, 22:51
Filmpje is echt kansloos btw!

GerritTonijn
13-07-2010, 23:13
Van Kotscheck wint ie easy. Tegen Silva gaat hij de boot in. Bridge too far...

Easy? Als in 5 rondes lang op em liggen a la hardy? Zie ik niet gebeuren bij kos...

MMAFAN-1122
13-07-2010, 23:41
We zullen wel zien!

Tsuki
14-07-2010, 09:31
ik hoop dattie die koscheck helemaal sloopt ................ naar mannetje is dat

Tony
14-07-2010, 09:37
Easy? Als in 5 rondes lang op em liggen a la hardy? Zie ik niet gebeuren bij kos...

Uhm,
reminder: GSP heeft al eens gewonnen van Koscheck. Ik had destijds gedacht dat Koscheck hem er helemaal uit zou worstelen. Niets was minder waar... GSP outwrestle'de hem volledig. GSP won op Unanimous decision.

dirk5
14-07-2010, 09:41
GSP is klasse apart....

Er komt niemand in de buurt van hem in divisie.

14-07-2010, 10:09
Denk ook dat koscheck hem dit keer pakt. Hij zal zich geen tweede keer laten verassen door de worstelskills van gsp.
En staande is het gsp die uit moet kijken voor de ko power in kos zijn rechterhand.

Een gevecht met silva zou wel mooi zijn, mocht hij kos verslaan..
Dit zou in het mma het equivalent zijn van floyd vs pac in het boksen.

GerritTonijn
14-07-2010, 11:34
Uhm,
reminder: GSP heeft al eens gewonnen van Koscheck. Ik had destijds gedacht dat Koscheck hem er helemaal uit zou worstelen. Niets was minder waar... GSP outwrestle'de hem volledig. GSP won op Unanimous decision.

dat weet ik, maar dat is net als zeggen dat Ali Vs Werdum onzin is want werdum heeft ali al een x verslagen.

GerritTonijn
14-07-2010, 15:30
haha, heb net nog wat interviews gezien, GSP gaat zo hard geownd worden door Kos.

dirk5
14-07-2010, 15:50
haha, heb net nog wat interviews gezien, GSP gaat zo hard geownd worden door Kos.

Wat knap dat jij dat aan de interviews kunt zien, hoe noem je die gave?

GerritTonijn
14-07-2010, 16:11
Wat knap dat jij dat aan de interviews kunt zien, hoe noem je die gave?

ik ben professioneel medium.

dirk5
14-07-2010, 16:20
ik ben professioneel medium.

rielekst, ik professioneel large...

GerritTonijn
14-07-2010, 16:23
rielekst, ik professioneel large...

vriend van me is kingsize, maar die kan ook niet meer normaal over straat.

Mr 1 Leg
15-07-2010, 20:52
We zullen wel zien!x2 simpel