PDA

View Full Version : Interview Ben Edwards K-1 Oceania GP Winner

marcelt
15-07-2010, 07:57
Australia unloads a new heavy-handed brawler on the world of K-1.
Head Kick Legend Interviews K-1 Oceania GP Winner Ben Edwards ; by Dave Walsh, HeadKickLegend.com ; July 14, 2010

Ben Edwards came out of nowhere this weekend, demolishing everybody in his path to a record-setting K-1 Qualifying Grand Prix run. No matter what happens now, Edwards is a part of K-1 history. Edwards was also recently stepped into our top 25 rankings at 25, solidifying him as a new entrant in the world of the K-1 elite. So, never to shy away from an opportunity, I decided to hunt down the K-1 Oceania Champion and find out what is going through his mind. What I take away from it is Edwards is an incredibly humble and still a bit overwhelmed by the whole experience, this kind of stuff is why we all watch fighting; to see young talent get recognition and move up the ladder.

HKL: So, first of all, congratulations on winning the K-1 Oceania GP, how does it feel to make the big step up in competition into the K-1 World Grand Prix?

BE: It is a dream come true to have won the K1 Oceania let alone in my home town...let alone again winning it in record time. I cant wait to test myself against the top guys in the world.

HKL: This was your second shot at K-1 and you made a huge statement winning a qualifying tournament. Do you feel ready to take on the competition in the K-1 World Grand Prix like Badr Hari, Sem Schilt and the other big names?

BE: I believe on my day I could give anyone in the world a tough fight.

HKL: Who is your favorite fighter and why?

BE: My favorite fighter to watch changes all the time but I like the syles of JLB and Badr...kill or be killed.

HKL: You also have a background in boxing, are you looking to continue boxing or are you focused on kickboxing for now?

BE: I love all forms of fighting but my passion is and always has been Kickboxing, I think it is the most brutal and exiting style of fighting there is. K1 is my priority at the moment. I love boxing and MMA but there are only a few fights in Aus that I would be interested in outside of Kickboxing.

HKL: How do you feel your style of kickboxing meshes with the rest of the fighters in the Final 16 stage and who would you feel is the best matchup for you as well as who you'd like the fight the most?

BE: I think with my wild power orientated style I could have an exciting fight and have a punchers chance with anybody. I think I would do well against guys like JLB who try and over power their opponents. I would love a crack at Badr Hari.

HKL: How do you feel about setting a K-1 record for fastest tournament win, beating out legends like Peter Aerts and Sem Schilt?

BE: I couldn't believe when I got told I broke the record for fastest win ever, that was just the cherry on top of a perfect night.

HKL: Do you plan to continue training in Australia or have you thought about doing some training in one of the bigger name European gyms (Vos, Golden Glory, Mike's, etc.) to prepare for the Grand Prix?

BE: I'm sure I'll do some training overseas at some stage but I have a great trainer and pad holder in Jamie McCauig and great sparring partners in Canberra and Sydney so for the foreseeable future I will be based in Canberra.

HKL: Have you ever considered Mixed Martial Arts, or will you stick to stand up fighting?

BE: I love MMA but K-1 is my priority at the moment, never say never though.

HKL: Last question; What is your dream fight, who is it against, where does it take place and why?

BE: My dream is just to fight in K-1.. to have made it this far is a dream come true and to fight any of the top guys is an honour.

Chane
15-07-2010, 09:25
Nieuw bloed in de K-1 is alleen maar goed :)
Hoop dat ie t goed doet (heb zn partijen overigens nog niet gezien).

Vinand
15-07-2010, 10:33
Hij heeft een relaxte en een non-americam attitude. Ik vind hem zelf eigenlijk niet zo heel goed...