PDA

View Full Version : "Bones" Jones warns heavyweights!

Slome
17-07-2010, 15:39
Jon Jones: You heavyweights gotta watch out

It's been nearly two years since UFC light heavyweight contender Jon Jones (10-1 MMA, 3-1) first burst on the national scene, and the New Yorker's rise to prominence has been nothing short of astronomical.

http://www.uofcombat.com/wp-content/uploads/mma_e_jonesstriking_576-davemandelsherdog.jpg

Just four fights into his UFC run, many mixed martial arts fans are already calling for a light heavyweight title shot.

But as Jones prepares for a showdown with veteran grinder Vladimir Matyushenko (24-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at August's UFC on Versus 2 event, the soon-to-be-23-year-old told the crew of ESPN's "MMA Live" that he's not necessarily just focused on a 205-pound title. "Bones" might eventually go up to heavyweight, too.

"This training camp has been really tough for me, actually," Jones said on the most recent episode of "MMA Live." "I got up to about 231 (pounds) for the first time, and I'll be 23 on Monday. I feel as if I'm growing into a more adult body.

"Who knows what the future holds for me. I'm always training hard, and I'm going to start to focus more on weightlifting in my off-time. You heavyweights gotta watch out because you never know what's going to happen."

Jones has earned three victories in his four UFC fights, and the lone loss came via disqualification in a bout with Matt Hamill in which "Bones" was clearly in charge. Jones has looked increasingly dangerous each time in the cage and appears destined for a long and glorious career.

But at 6-foot-4 and with one of the longest wingspans in the sport, Jones at heavyweight isn't hard to imagine. While he's certainly not giving up his plans at 205 pounds, Jones hinted that he could eventually prove a dual-division threat.

"Our weightclass is stacked, and there's lots of competition at the 205-pound division, but there's also lots of competition at the heavyweight division," Jones said. "I'm always looking for a challenge.

"Randy Couture does it moving up and down in weight classes, and it's not something I'd be opposed to."

Even UFC president Dana White seems to believe Jones will develop into the sport's next superstar. Following Jones' UFC on Versus 1 win in March, White said that the sky was the limit for his flashy prospect.

"The hype is warranted," White said. "The kid is incredibly talented. Every time I see him fight, he looks phenomenal, and he gets better every time.

"It's incredible. He's a serious, serious talent."

Of course, before Jones can set his sights on the UFC big boys, he's got a tough test in "The Janitor." While Jones has wowed fans early in his career with acrobatic throws and dynamic striking, with just a little more than two years in the game, the youngster said he's currently working to round out his arsenal.

"I'm really working on [my ground game] a lot," Jones said. "So far, I haven't been taken down in a fight, but I'm not going to be naive and say it's not possible. So right now, I'm working on my ground game, my bottom game. Greg Jackson wants that to be my biggest weapon that's never seen."

wrestler_nl
17-07-2010, 15:44
Jon 'Bones' Jones
http://images.hugi.is/martial_arts/148624.jpg