PDA

View Full Version : Sato: I really think I can beat Giorgio Petrosyan

Devilprince
10-08-2010, 16:18
Yoshihiro Sato, controversial and opinionated MAX fighter has been called in to replace an ailing Yuya Yamamoto in August 14th's Krush event at Korakuen Hall against Yuji Nashiro. Sato talks about the fight that got him into MAX's top 8 and his concerns about the upcoming Krush match.
We can't afford to lose to the 63-kilo class.
--You've beaten Yuya Yamamoto before, but the last match for the Final 8 was a difficult one.
Sato: It was a tension filled match. We both were not about to give any ground.

--Has your impression changed in 5 years?
Sato: He's always had a good style for K-1. His foundation hasn't changed, but he takes hits a lot better.

--You changed your game plan before the fight?
Sato: I usually hang back in the first round, but to beat the champion class you have to keep at the same distance from the very first. I didn't really change my strategy as much as change my thinking.

--So you decided to take the risk and go forward. What changed your mind?
Sato: Watching the 63 kilo fighters. They all had good fights. I usually don't like to say stuff like this, but the 70 kilo class shouldn't lose to the 63 kilo class.

--They are really trying hard. They had to make the event exciting as well as win their fights.
Sato: If I had a weak fight, they would compare. If they are fighting at the "Japan" level, I had to fight at the international level.

"I'll fight Otsu."
--All the fighters haven't been decided yet, but is there a fighter you're interested in?
Sato: I'd like to fight Otsu (cosplay fighter Yuichiro "Jienotsu" Nagashima) in the first round.

--You like stirring up trouble. You'll catch some flack for that one.
Sato: Well, we'll have at least one Japanese in the next round and that will make the producers happy. If I lose, I'll wear a costume for my post-fight interview.

--What you're saying is that you don't think you will lose.
Sato: I thought he was being careful in the Dida fight, but to continue to win by KO in the first round at the international level is quite a feat. I think he will be more comfortable finding his style in the next fight.

--Now that Masato is retired, people are looking at you as the Japanese hope to win the world championship.
Sato: Every year I can't seem to live up to that hope losing at the vital moment. If I was the same Yoshihiro Sato as before, I would have lost the Yamamoto fight as well. It's not just that I won an important fight, I evolved.

--It gave you confidence.
Sato: Yes. Confidence. I've been saying I'll win every year, but if I can't do it after 5 years, I'm in trouble. I don't mean I'll quit, but I don't want to be one of those boring "champion who never won the crown" losers. Third time wasn't the charm, but maybe the fifth time? But I've definitely evolved since that third time, so I'm confident.

--It was a tough fight with Masato, that third time. I'm sure you were highly motivated.
Sato: I was just as motivated in my last fight. I'll fight my next fight as if it was my last.

Petrosyan is "strong, clever, and fast."
--The current world champ is Petrosyan. Your impression?
Sato: He's strong, clever, and fast.

--Sounds like a commercial.
Sato: Right?

--Everyone is aiming for him, but does he have a weakness?
Sato: My master says that if I just go by our fight plan. we can win. So I really think I can beat him.

--Fighting someone like him in a tournament, which round would you like to face him?
Sato: In the final. We'll both be spent so it will be a battle of wills. Anyway, it will be difficult no matter which round you meet him in. I don't want to meet him in the first round, though.

--You will be the focus of the tournament.
Sato: Really? I was supposed to be last year, but I didn't do very well. I don't want to betray everyone agian like that. I stopped believing in myself. But I worked hard and bit by bit I built back my confidence. I won back my standing with those around me as well.

Found his own weakness, owes thanks to Drago.
--What helped you switch gears like that?
Sato: I'm a pro so I know that if people have high expectations, the fight money is higher. I have to work hard so that people will have such expectations or I can't eat. You can't repay thanks with no money in the bank.

-- That's true.
Sato: I heard about the golfer who gave money to his home town. I thought that was amazing, and that he can do that because he works hard and earns well. So I have to do the same.

--What is your current goal?
Sato: My master says it's to build my power up another 20, 30 percent. I asked him if he was serious and he told me that it's not that hard to do. So I'll build up my power enough to beat Petrosyan. If I continue to evolve at this speed, another 20, 30 percent shouldn't be that hard.

--The fact that you have such faith in your master is a wonderful thing.
Sato: But while I'm shadowboxinf before a fight I have flashes of inspiration. Like, if I do this, I'll be better. They keep coming. I've been analyzing Petrosyan's fights since before the Zanolini fight. Coincidentally, I used the same liver punch combination on Yuya that I did on Pajonsuk. My right punch really felt good in the Kido match. These are the insights that I have. I realize that Yoshihiro Sato still has some room to grow. I can still become even stronger. That's why I am thankful to Drago. Since I lost to him, I really changed.

--So losing to him at last year's Final 16 was a shock to the system and made you want to change.
Sato: After the Yuya fight, I felt I could fight another 10 rounds. That's how much I've trained. I took many punches that could have knocked me out. My master says my defense during a one-two combo needs tightening. It means I have room to become even stronger.

"Otsu" has peaked the world's interest.
--You've fought in SHOWTIME, but did you feel that their middleweights were of a high level?
Sato: Not so different from MAX. MAX fighters have more spirit. Some SHOWTIME fighters lose their nerve in the middle of a fight or just don't care and stop trying. Petrosyan and Souwer are on a higher level in my opinion.

--Is there a difference between MAX fighters and those who have yet to fight in MAX?
Sato: I think Kraus today is stronger than Souwer. Those three are the world's best.

--You've fought in Europe. What would Jienotsu be like there?
Sato: Simon Rutz of SHOWTIME doesn't want him, it seems. He says that in Japan, his level is different than mine.

--And you think so.
Sato: No, I disagree. If he gets more experience, he will make it. But he does need more international experience.

--Do you think his cosplay entrances will have the same impact over there?
Sato: If they don't have metal detectors, it could get scary. Especially those table seats are scary... Over there, there were several costumed entrances. When I came in, a blond chick came in wearing a Japanese loincloth. I thought, what the-?! It was funny. He actually might be popular. They might think he's weird at first, but he'll definitely be noticed. That's his strength. I don't have that.

--And, he'll have to prove himself.
Sato: He doesn't have to be THAT strong. Whether he wins or loses, he tries to have a good fight. Just the opposite of me.

--If you fight him, you better not lose!
Sato: But now I might really fight him! (laughter) And if I lose, I'll have to wear a costume. Even if I don't focus on the fact that he's Japanese, I really don't want to lose to another Japanese. If I fight an international fighter, it feels like a regular match, but if I lose against a Japanese, I lose everything I've worked hard to gain.

--Everything?
Sato: Pajonsuk was stronger, but I felt more pressure against Yuya. I felt like I left unfinished business concerning the fight five years ago, so I felt I owed it to the fans this time. It's a weight off my chest that I was able to be satisfied this time. Even if I was beaten down, I'd be upset but relieved at the same time (for having a good fight).

Nashiro is just a hair away from being champion.
--You'll be taking Yuya's place in the August 14 Krush event at Korakuen Hall.
Sato: I said "no" at first, but they said it was the Krush one-year anniversary and they would get rid of the card if I didn't do it. Krush came from All Japan Kickboxing and my gym have strained relations because of me, and I hope that this will improve that situation.

--Your thoughts about Nashiro?
Sato: Only a hair's difference between him and a champion.

--So he's not that different from Jienotsu who KO'ed him in the first round.
Sato: Yes. If you look at the results, I think Otsu was the clear winner, but Nashiro took a chance. He probably wasn't confident about his stamina and went in only to meet Otsu's counter. It could have gone the other way as well. If you think he's weak just because he got KO'ed early, I just don't agree. A real loser is someone who keeps taking hites throughout the whole match.

--Many of those around you are sure that you will win.
Sato: That just means they're actually nervous about it. He's my number one rival. He has nothing to risk or to lose. That is the strongest kind of opponent. So I'll go all out. I have to be able to completely beat a fighter like that.

--And you've disappointed fans before...
Sato: Many times. For me to improve, this is an important fight. There wasn't much time so I want to fight at 71 kilos even though my opponent isn't happy about it.

--I can imagine. You are bigger so he probably won't agree.
Sato: Well, we're working on it.

--It's been five years since the last time you fought at Korakuen Hall.
Sato: Our oraganizations and rules are different, but it's like coming home. Like the Budokan, Korakuen has its own special atmosphere. I'm probably more nervous about that. For you K-1 fans who have never been to Korakuen Hall, come on!!

lopez86
10-08-2010, 17:09
Nee.