PDA

View Full Version : Josh Barnett interview door mmahitpit

marcelt
20-08-2010, 23:27
http://testimage001.mypublicface.com/ImageServer001/32d56a22-769c-4e47-84db-be76fdff411a.b8ee791a-6878-4719-acba-f15a27d069a1.240.0.dwi Josh Barnett has unfinished business in the UFC 20 Aug 2010 By Ben Cartlidge

It seems too easy to call anyone a legend these days but here at MMA Hit Pit, we recently had the chance to talk to legitimate MMA royalty. A former UFC champion, current top ten heavyweight and Pride superstar, The Baby Faced Assassin himself, Mr Josh Barnett.

Josh, it’s a pleasure to talk to you thanks for taking the time to talk to MMA Hit Pit. You’ve fought all over the world; do you feel that Japan is your spiritual fighting home?

It’s very hard for me to answer that, I’ve got so many great memories of fighting there. It’s a place that’ll always have a special place in my heart. I experienced so much and was able to be a part of something that I wouldn’t get a chance to be a part of anywhere else. I met some great friends, had some great times and will always remember the great fights I had out there.

What were your experiences of fighting in Australia for Impact FC?

It was fine, an awesome place to fight if not a little disorganized.

What did you make of Fedor’s recent loss to Fabricio Werdum?

I just think he got careless. It was a careless mistake that, in training, he’s probably made a few times and been able to work his way out of. I was surprised that he got out of it once and went back in with the same technique regardless. I think he could see the finish and he wasn’t thinking very clearly at that point.

What are your thoughts about Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin?

People forget how new Brock is to the sport simply because of his status as the UFC champion, he really doesn’t have a lot of fighting experience and it shows. He still has the aversion to getting hit and to striking in general but in all fairness credit him for surviving that onslaught. Carwin clearly didn’t build a body to last and Lesnar was able to get by him.

Do you think that Brock Lesnar is responsible for the influx of professional wrestlers in MMA?

Somewhat, I mean I’ve known pro wrestlers who’ve had the idea for a long time. Some of those guys just really enjoy fighting and see this as a good way to get their shots in. Bobby Lashley is a prime example of this.

What are your thoughts on James Toney’s upcoming MMA debut?

I’m glad he’s doing it. Don’t get me wrong I expect him to lose but isn’t this what this sport was developed for? So people can go discipline against discipline in an environment where they’re not restricted? I mean that’s the purpose of creating this environment, it’s the single greatest expression of violence that there is.

That quote really should be on a T-Shirt.

Who knows it could be real soon.

Do you feel like you have unfinished business with the UFC?

Yeah, I’d love to go back and carry the gold again and lay it down as a champion. I mean realistically, they’ve got an amazing market share and some incredible fighters. It certainly is an enticing prospect.

What does is meant to you, looking back, to have been such a big part of Pride FC?

I’m glad I got to be a part of something that has created a legacy that will stand for a long time. All the time I get new fans and hardcore fans alike talking to me about Pride and that Pride FC was the gold standard for fighting organizations. I certainly think that any promotions in Japan will always have to be ready to be compared to Pride.

What’s next for you?

I’d like to find a Blu-Ray box set of Red Dwarf, I mean I have them on DVD and even on VCR taped from a long time ago but that really is what I’m looking at. I’ve just got through watching Darkplace and Man to Man with Dean Learner, the bunch of guys that do those shows are awesome. I have the IGF show in September and there’s also a grappling tournament in California coming up so I’ll be taking some athletes to that. I’m also training Megumi Fuji to prepare her to take the gold at Bellator.

Just to end this with a few quick questions if I may? Kenshiro or Shin?

My boy Kenshiro always, he already beat Shin.

Rick Rude or Rick Martel?

Rick Rude, I mean that guy was a legit tough guy, although saying that Martel’s promos with the whole arrogance thing were genius, but Rude would show up in a town, insult them all and then plant a kiss on some lucky girl in the front row.

Living the dream huh?

Totally!

It’s been an honour to talk Josh, the best of luck in all your future endeavours.

Thanks man, I’d like to say hello to my Brummie friends in Bolt Thrower as well.

62jeroen
21-08-2010, 11:53
Ik lees zijn interviews altijd met veel plezier. Hij is een echte kenner en super objectief. Geen woord spaans.