PDA

View Full Version : UFC feitjes

Fyodor
17-09-2010, 13:27
I like stats. The more obscure, the better. Below is a collection of useless information I've gathered from parsing all UFC and Pride events using Sherdog's fight finder.

If anyone wants me to analyze any other info, let me know.

This is kind of a first draft. I'm gonna clean up the formatting and add more stats later.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Interesting Win/Loss Info
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-Who has the most fights in the UFC? It's a 3 way tie between Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, and Randy Couture at 23

-Who has the most wins in the UFC? Welterweight legend Matt Hughes tops the bunch at 18

-Who has the most losses in the UFC? Tank tops this list of shame at 10, but an honorable mention goes to Chris Lytle who despite having an 8-9 losing record in the UFC still has an active contract.

-Who has the worst record in the UFC? There's a few different ways to look at this:
--Most losses with no wins? Tiki Ghosn at a whopping 0-4
--Worst loss % by someone with at least one win? Our favorite can, Elvis Sinosic, with a stellar 1-6 record. 2nd place in this list is hotly contested, but some notable names are Marvin Eastman at 1-4, Frank Trigg at 2-5, and Phil Baroni at 3-6.

-There are a total of 732 fighters that have fought in the UFC at one point or another. Of them, only 300 fighters have won their debut.

-Notable fighters who lost their debut? Perennial contender Kenny Florian, welterweight wrecking machine Thiago Alves, Buster Douglas impersonator Matt Serra, P4P trash talker Chael Sonnen, Vanilla Gorilla Brock Lesnar, and the stuff of nightmares (awesome nightmares), Wanderlei Silva.

-Which fighter has beaten the most debuting fighters? The can-crusher award is a 3 way tie between Roger Huerta, Evan Tanner (RIP), and Melvin Guillard with 5 each.
--Interesting side note on Roger Huerta: of his 8 total fights, 5 were wins against debuting fighters. His other 3 fights were 2 losses to UFC veterans Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard, and his lone win against anyone with a UFC record was Clay Guida.

-Which fighter loses the most to debuting fighters? Alan Belcher gets this trophy with 3 of his 4 losses coming to debuting fighters.
--Side Note: is it just me, or does that tattoo look like Otho from Beatlejuice?
http://jc1701.com/glennshadix_as_otho_x.jpg http://www.khurak.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Alan-Belcher-Tattoo.jpg

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Interesting Decision info
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-Who is the most decision prone in the UFC? Not suprisingly, there's a 2 way tie between Jon Fitch and Karo Parisyan, who have heard the scorecards read 10 times. Fitch, however, gets the honor of most decision wins with 9.

-Honorable mentions? Sam Stout has seen the judges 8 times out of 9 fights.

-The fighter with the most fights that has NEVER gone the distance? Man-Bear-Pig himself, Gabriel Gonzaga, with 11 fights.

-The more suprising statistic in the decision genre is the fighter who has the most fights that has always gone to decision. That would be heavyweight brawler Heath Herring, who's 5 fights in the UFC have all gone the distance.

-The fighter who loses the most decisions? Chris Lytle with 9 decision losses. Honorable mention to the Diaz brothers, who don't lose, they just run out of time.

-Decision rate on the rise? You betcha! Decisions rates have been increasing steadily since 2008 as seen in this graph:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2cx71xl.jpg

-OMG THE WRASSLERS ARE TAKING OVER?!?!?!? Not necessarily...the Lay N Pray "problem" has been around for a long time, yet KO/TKO rates were much higher than Decisions in 2008, and all finish methods were almost the same in 2007. Whether we are seeing an anomaly or a trend right now will need more data.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Interesting KO/TKO info
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-Owner of the most KO/TKOs in the UFC? None other than Chuck Liddell who has KO'd 10 of his opponents

-However, Chuck is also the winner of most KO/TKO losses, with 6.

-But then who's the fighter that ONLY losses by KO/TKO? That would be Frank Mur, who has gone limp in all 5 of his losses.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Interesting Submission Info
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-The UFC has seen 29 unique submissions for a total of 382 sub wins. This doesn't include tap-outs due to strikes, injury, or chins to the eye.

-The most common submission? The old reliable RNC, which makes up 28.80% of all sub wins. In a distant second, the Armbar with 18.06%, and rounding out the top 3 is the Guillotine Choke at 16.75%.

-Some of the more unique submissions? A triangle-kimura by Chris Lytle, a Peruvian Necktie by CB Dollaway, and of course the Murlock that tapped out Pete Williams

-Most subs in the UFC? Royce Gracie of course, with all 11 of his wins coming by way of submission

-Frank Mur has never used the same submission twice

-Most submission losses award goes to Tank Abbot, who has been tapped out 5 times. Honorable mention to Chael Sonnen who ALWAYS looses by submission. Side note: I've heard that on more than one occasion, Chael Sonnen tapped out while having trouble taking off a tight t-shirt.

http://www.theartistoflife.com/blog/photos/stuck%20in%20your%20shirt2.jpg

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Finish Rates in UFC vs Pride
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

When looking at UFC vs Pride, I look at the events in which both orgs existed simultaneously. That way the data is not effected by evolving finishing trends that effect newer fights/fighters. This timeline is between 10/11/1997 and 4/8/2007.

-Total UFC fights: 581.
--KO/TKOs: 230 / 39.59%
--Submissions: 161 / 27.71%
--Decision/Draws: 183 / 31.50%
--DQ: 3 / .52%
--NC: 4 / .69%

-Total Pride fights:600
--KO/TKO: 206 / 34.33%
--Submissions: 188 / 31.33%
--Decision/Draws: 198 / 33%
--DQ: 4 / .67%
--NC: 4 / .67%

The fun fact shown here is that despite rules that encouraged more aggression and finishes in Pride, the finish rate is actually slightly higher in the UFC.

Another talking point when it comes to finish rates in the UFC vs Pride is how much of a difference 10 min first rounds make. Lets look at those numbers:

(for these numbers I'm looking at the date range in which both orgs existed and the Unified Rules were in play. This would be 11/17/2000 to 4/8/2007)

-Pride:
--Fights: 503
--Finished in first 5 Minutes: 198 / 39.36%
--Finished in second 5 Minutes: 82 / 16.30%
--Fights stopped in the first 10 minutes: 280 / 55.66%

-UFC
--Fights: 469
--Finished in first 5 Minutes: 188 / 40.08%
--Finished in second 5 Minutes: 96 / 20.46%
--Fights stopped in the first 10 minutes: 284 / 60.55%

The interesting fact here is that finish rates appear to be higher when there's a break in between rounds vs a consecutive 10 min round.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Interesting Tomas Rios Info
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mr. Rios writes the preview articles on Sherdog where he gives a detailed breakdown and prediction for each fight. As of this time he's made 469 predictions.

-He has gotten the winner correct 289 times (61.6%)
-Of the 46 Main Events he has predicted, he has been correct 34 times (73.91%)
-His Main Card record? 222 fights, 132 correct (59.45%)
-Prelims? 247 fights, 157 correct (63.56%)

-He doesn't always pick what the fight ending method will be, but of the times that he has, he's been correct about the winner AND method 69 times (14.7%)

-He has only selected the correct winner, method, AND round 4 times (.85%). That of course doesn't count decisions, where he would automatically have picked the correct round if he predicted the correct method.

-He has only picked the betting underdog 83 times. And he's only been right 33 times.

-He has correctly picked the entire card just once: UFC Fight Night 18.

-He's never been completely wrong about a card, but he came dangerously close with UFC Fight Night 22, only getting 2/10.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Interesting Betting Info
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This is from betting info going all the way back to UFC 56 (820 records total) as found on UFC Odds History (http://www.zewkey.com/UFCOddsHistory.htm)

-The betting underdog only wins 30.73% of the time
-Underdogs in the Main Event only win 26.88% of the time
-Underdogs on the Main Card only win 31.80% of the time
-Underdogs on the Prelims only win 29.5% of the time.

-What does this mean? You actually have a better chance at picking the correct winner by looking at the betting favorite instead of Tomas Rios. And that's just looking at the straight favorite; your odds of choosing the correct winner increase the larger the gap is between the favorite and the underdog.Bron: iemand met tijd over (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/ufc-factoids-useless-info-thread-1357315/#post43443051)

Vind vooral het grafiekje met de veranderingen in uitkomsten van gevechten wel interessant.

Worf
17-09-2010, 13:36
Frank Mur?

jerul
17-09-2010, 14:19
WRASSLERS?

Tony
17-09-2010, 14:45
leuk stuk met leuke feitjes.

Splinta
18-09-2010, 23:35
grappig!

CannieY
19-09-2010, 12:02
Leuk om te lezen dit! Een aantal dingen wist ik maar de meerderheid zijn idd nieuwtjes voor me

en haha btw 'frank murr' - spreek het uit met de stem van brock lesnar :D (they t'k our jobbbsss)

Sendur
19-09-2010, 13:10
tnx !!

jk
19-09-2010, 14:11
LOL @ "Side note: I've heard that on more than one occasion, Chael Sonnen tapped out while having trouble taking off a tight t-shirt"