PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

Slome
15-12-2010, 01:11
Interview: Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

http://www.tatame.com/imagensup/7068/1292003065.g.jpg

Maurício Shogun Maurício Shogun has been rewarded for the best knockout of the year, on a fight that he conquered the light heavyweight belt, over Lyoto Machida. Despite only having done this bout in 2010, due to a knee injury, the year was a good one for the southern guy. On an interview, the fighter talked about his Oscar award, commented the possible confrontations with Rashad Evans and Quinton Rampage Jackson, pointed out Rogério Minotouro as the favorite for the duel with Tito Ortiz and promised that he won’t lack motivation in 2011.

What’s the importance of this award after all you’ve been through?

I went for it and so far no one has been able to find Lyoto on the octagon, he was unbeaten at that time, so no one had come close to defeat him, and I was glad I did it. The result of the first fight was a good one after all because if it wasn’t because of it, I wouldn’t have done the following bout and I wouldn’t have won this award. This was a very glad with this homage, it was very important to me, and I hope next year I can be one of the finalists for the Oscar award again, right? I’ll give my best so that I can be at this party again next year.

How is your recovering process going?

I’m cool, I’ve recovered my injuries and I’m training for a long time now. I’m in a good shape, so let’s move on.

Do you have any idea of when will you put your belt in line?

Actually, I still don’t know when I’ll be back, I’m waiting for it to be decided, but I hope I can return soon and I can defend my belt.

How do you see your next bout, against Rashad Evans?

He’s a good guy, he’s tough, and it’ll be a great satisfaction to fight him, he uses well his Wrestling game, he’s a good opponent… I’m positive that we’ll do a great fight.

Rashad earned the right for a title shot after beating Rampage… What’s the difference of confronting Rashad and Rampage, who you already has knocked out on Pride?

I think that Rampage would like to Exchange more with me because it’s his strong point. Quinton is a guy who moves forward, just like me, never looks back, while Rashad I believe he wouldn’t try to exchange with me like that, he’s try to take me down to use his strong point, which is the ground and pound… They’re different opponents, each one of them in their own style.

Other Brazilian in your division, Rogério Minotouro will confront the former UFC champion Tito Ortiz. Would you bet on any of them on this fight?

I believe that Rogério has great chances of winning by knockout, but Tito Ortiz is a guy who deserves my respect for all his history on UFC, where he used to be the champion. It’ll be a good fight.

Minotouro said, on an interview given to TATAME, that he wants to win again so that he can try to dispute the belt with you, and that a rematch would be better for him than your that historical combat on Pride. How would you feel fighting him again?

Minotouro is a top athlete, he’s a good fighter, he’ll confront Tito Ortiz, a technical guy… It’ll be a great fight, but I usually think only about my next opponent, otherwise I lose my focus. I don’t think about the second or the third on the line, and it’s Rashad’s moment. Minotouro is a respectful guy, but I’m not thinking about it right now.

What do you expect for 2011? Do you think it can be even more special than 2010 was?

I hope so, my goal is to keep always evolving and try to be better each time. 2010 was a very good year, but I’m already focused in 2011, when I’ll still try to keep winning. My goal is to keep the belt on this year that is coming. My fans can be sure I’ll give my best and I won’t lack motivation.

Kemal
17-12-2010, 17:40
Rashad Evans Confirms March 19 Title Fight with Shogun Rua

UFC light-heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Shogun+Rua/) will defend his title belt against Rashad Evans (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Rashad+Evans/) at a UFC event in Newark, New Jersey on March 19, 2011.

Evans confirmed the booking on Thursday night's edition of MMA Live on ESPN2.

On Wednesday, MMA Fighting confirmed (http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/15/ufcs-abu-dhabi-return-scrapped-newark-likely-for-march-event/) that the expected Abu Dhabi card that would have hosted the event had been scrapped, and the fight would likely be moved to Newark.

"I'm definitely excited," Evans said. "I'm more excited to hear he's healthy and in shape and ready to fight in March."

Rua has been recovering from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament, causing the delay in booking the fight. Rua captured the crown with a first-round knockout over Lyoto Machida at UFC 113.

Evans last competed at UFC 114 in May, defeating Rampage Jackson via unanimous decision.

The challenger Evans is 15-1-1 in his career, while the champ Rua is 19-4.