PDA

View Full Version : Big nog to undergo 2nd hip surgery, wants brock lesnar

Pahlavan
06-01-2011, 01:04
After suffering two losses in his past three fights many were left wondering if all of the wars had finally caught up with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

The former Pride superstar had a notorious penchant for soaking up punishment, but was knocked out for the first time in his career against Frank Mir at the end of 2008 and then again against Cain Velasquez last year.

According to Nogueira, he's been struggling with hip injuries which have left him depleted and unable to move well.

"This is an injury I have had for about 4 years," Nogueira told SanDiegoMMA. "For the past 2 years it has been bothering me a lot. I have been training for all the last fights I had, and it was very painful. My last 3 fights were very painful. I got slow. I couldn't shoot anymore. You see my fights, normally I go to the ground, but I couldn't shoot cause my hip was f-ed up."

Though he'd been suffering through the injuries, Nogueira revealed that the extent of the pain that finally caught up to him and made it impossible to train.

"To tell you the truth, when I was training in 2005, I felt it a little bit in my hip but it wasn't that much. 2006 it hurt me. When I trained for the Couture fight it hurt me so bad, then this year it was impossible for training. After Anderson Silva's fight when he fought Chael [Sonnen], I was there in the group and from there I had training the next day and I couldn't walk, so I went to Colorado [to see a doctor]. My physical trainer told me [the doctor in Colorado] was the best hip doctor in the world, Dr. Philippon."

Upon examination Dr. Philippon informed Nogueira that he was operating at 40% capacity and told him could no longer fight without surgery on both hips.

Nogueira promptly underwent surgery on the worse of the two hips and will go under the knife again in January against his doctors recommendation in order to cut down on his time away from the cage and possibly fight in August 2011 when the UFC hits Rio for the first time in the organizations' history.

"That's my goal," Nogueira said. "I even want to fight before that, but to fight in Brazil - that would be awesome. That's my goal. That is why I tried to do both surgeries close together."

Nogueria also hinted at his preferred next opponent. When asked who he'd like to face when he recovers the former champion replied with a smile: "If they give me Brock I would be ready to fight him."

Source: http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/An ... n-Rio.html (http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Antonio-Rodrigo-Nogueira-to-undergo-second-hip-surgery-wants-Lesnar-in-Rio.html)