PDA

View Full Version : The Story of Stefan Leko

Daniel Fletcher
07-01-2011, 03:30
What is the deal, guys? I need some answers.

OK, I'm a huge Leko fan. Have been for years (though sadly I caught the back end of his career, and missed out on his success from 97-03).

The guy was top 2-3 ranked at the end of 2003 - if not #1 - and favourite to win the WGP. He leaves K-1. Goes to Pride, loses his fights, returns to K-1. Misses his two biggest opportunities, the 03 and 04 World Grand Prix tournaments.

Then he goes 1-1 with Badr, gets robbed (imo) vs Remy in 06, and kinda tapers away in recent years... now he's fighting on Ultimate Glory and Dutch cards. He hasn't fought in K-1 for ages, and he's 2-1 in Its Showtime - where he beat Badr Hari, but lost to Manhoef after DOMINATING him but then breaking his foot.

And he lost his last two fights on Dutch cards (not Its Showtime), in truly AWFUL performances.

What is the story? Help out a fanboy from England - I've followed Leko and think he's a quality, quality thaiboxer, but what is the deal?

1- Has he been injured?
2- Why did he forfeit against Wendell Roche?
3- How come he doesn't fight on Its Showtime events much? (three fights in 5 years for Showtime).
4- will he fight in K-1 again?
5- Could he make a title run at 95MAX in Its Showtime?

Or...

6- is he finished?

http://www.chief108.com/images/smilies/wallbash.gif

Hope someone can help,

Cheers lads

Regards from A Leko fan.

Fletch

Petrosyan188
07-01-2011, 03:51
he fought recently against sinestra(one month ago) but lost ....

1. no
2. because he is a old men and isn't dominated as in the old days
3. here in holland the people aren't so much intrested in leko and he is not a cheap boy, than you can take for example a silva,bouzidi or verhoeven because they have a future and are spectaculair
4. i doubt it because the only way for hem to fight is competing whit a qualifiying tournament... maybe this year amsterdam.. but then again i think they wil choose younger fighters instead of a leko
5. a titleshot you have to deserve why leko??
6. yes

simtekf1
07-01-2011, 11:25
Robbed against Remy?
He cracked Remy's nuts in that fight, and still Remy gave him a down.
Remy couldn't even fight in the semi final.

Marco
07-01-2011, 13:18
maar wat is nu de reden dat hij in zijn partij tegen Wendell Roche opgaf ?

Mattie73
07-01-2011, 14:50
He hasn't fought in K-1 for ages, and he's 2-1 in Its Showtime - where he beat Badr Hari, but lost to Manhoef after DOMINATING him but then breaking his foot.

2-1 against Badr Hari ??? He and Hari only fought twice. First time leko wins by KO. Second time Badr wins by KO. They never fought a third time.

SjorsWilms
07-01-2011, 14:53
2-1 against Badr Hari ??? He and Hari only fought twice. First time leko wins by KO. Second time Badr wins by KO. They never fought a third time.
Nee, dat zegt hij niet. Hij zegt dat Leko een record heeft van 2-1 bij Its Showtime en daar Badr heeft verslagen(1x).

Daniel Fletcher
08-01-2011, 01:20
he fought recently against sinestra(one month ago) but lost ....

1. no
2. because he is a old men and isn't dominated as in the old days
3. here in holland the people aren't so much intrested in leko and he is not a cheap boy, than you can take for example a silva,bouzidi or verhoeven because they have a future and are spectaculair
4. i doubt it because the only way for hem to fight is competing whit a qualifiying tournament... maybe this year amsterdam.. but then again i think they wil choose younger fighters instead of a leko
5. a titleshot you have to deserve why leko??
6. yes

That's a very harsh view of Leko.

I would feel he is afforded a bit more status there. If he won a few fights in It's Showtime, why wouldn't a title run at LHW / 95kg MAX be beyond him? On form, he is good enough.

"Because he is old man" doesn't explain why he suddenly forfeited against Wendell Roche either... there must be a reason for it.

No, I said 2-1 in It's Showtime, not against Badr.

The loss was to Manhoef (a top fighter, who Leko DOMINATED until he broke his foot).

Leko just doesnt seem to have much luck :(

Babalu
08-01-2011, 16:57
That's a very harsh view of Leko.

I would feel he is afforded a bit more status there. If he won a few fights in It's Showtime, why wouldn't a title run at LHW / 95kg MAX be beyond him? On form, he is good enough.

"Because he is old man" doesn't explain why he suddenly forfeited against Wendell Roche either... there must be a reason for it.

No, I said 2-1 in It's Showtime, not against Badr.

The loss was to Manhoef (a top fighter, who Leko DOMINATED until he broke his foot).

Leko just doesnt seem to have much luck :(

Leko didn't peeked when the oppurtunity was there. I agree with you that he didn't had all the luck on his side. He is a bit older nowdays, but I am convinced that Leko wil be remembered as a good techinical fighter, who stood against great names in the k1.

Marco
08-01-2011, 20:18
(in de cynische mode nu) eigenlijk was Leko een mietje, de actie hieronder was puur toeval...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNXd2yPWZS8

simtekf1
08-01-2011, 20:30
Als je Peter daar ziet en hem vergelijkt met hoe hij nu vecht dan is het echt eeuwig zonde dat het toen ging zoals het ging met hem.

Kemal
08-01-2011, 21:24
paar keer bekeken maar weet niet waarom hij opgaf..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYv57SnCsDA

Fyodor
08-01-2011, 21:39
paar keer bekeken maar weet niet waarom hij opgaf..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYv57SnCsDA

Volgens mij was hij duizelig geworden...

micha
08-01-2011, 22:06
nee long problemen in de 2e ronde klapte zijn long dicht

Kemal
08-01-2011, 22:41
nee long problemen in de 2e ronde klapte zijn long dicht

thanks Micha!

dat is nu iig duidelijk

Donjopie
09-01-2011, 20:22
@micha.
Vreemd....
Tegen mij vertelde hij 1 min na de partij dat hij lichamelijk helemaal leeg was, waarom hij dat was was voor hem ook de vraag.
Maar hij heeft het helemaal niet over zijn longen gehad

justsomeone
09-01-2011, 22:59
LOL

Daniel Fletcher
11-01-2011, 09:33
Any ideas what Golden Glory's plans for Leko are? Or what Leko's own plans are?

I'd love to interview him. I write for a few websites, it would be great to chew the fat with a kickboxing legend like Leko.

Do any Golden Glory guys post here? Perhaps one of them could tell me exactly what the deal is with one of their most accomplished fighters, Mr Leko

Daniel Fletcher
11-01-2011, 09:33
he should make a run at the 95MAX It's Showtime title, in my opinion

Richelieu
11-01-2011, 09:54
he should make a run at the 95MAX It's Showtime title, in my opinion

Why? There are a lot of fighters who more diserve an shot for this title.

MJOKKIE
11-01-2011, 11:48
Says it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNDmxrE7G8c

Daniel Fletcher
22-01-2011, 06:02
^^^ oh wow, he lost to Hoost. That "says it all"

What a shit attitude towards a fighter. You realise Leko also beat Aerts x2, Bonjasky, Bernardo, Badr Hari, Filho etc?

If anyone knows any more, let me know... cheers

Loekie
22-01-2011, 23:30
It is just said above that the forfeit to Wendell Roche was due to a punctured lung...

In case you didn't get that out of the dutch writing ;-)

Daniel Fletcher
24-01-2011, 08:52
It is just said above that the forfeit to Wendell Roche was due to a punctured lung...

In case you didn't get that out of the dutch writing ;-)

Thanks mate

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you know if he'll be on any United Glory or Its Showtime cards coming up? Or has he taken a few months recovery?

Daniel Fletcher
24-01-2011, 09:03
by the way - I found a longer video clip of the Roche fight (not on youtube) and the commentators said Leko "suffered from a dizzy spell"

So, punctured lung or dizzy spell?