PDA

View Full Version : Hardonk may return 2011, talks Struve and Overeem

dirk5
11-01-2011, 15:33
former K-1 World Grand Prix finalist turned professional mixed martial artist, Dutch fighter Antoni Hardonk went 8-6 in a MMA career than began in 2001 - sharing the Octagon with notable opponents Frank Mir, Chieck Kongo and Pat Barry - before ‘retiring’ in 2010.

Fighters Only staff writer Simon Platt caught up with the original ‘Mr Wonderful’ as he took time out from a “super hectic” diary to talk of a potential comeback, the current heavyweight scene, and the new darling of internet forums - Alistair Overeem.

FO: Thanks for taking time to speak to Fighters Only. First off can you tell us what you have been up to since we last saw you inside the Octagon (Hardonk’s last fight was in October 2009 against Pat Barry at UFC104: Machida vs. Shogun)

The last year has been super hectic. Since my last fight I have been busy with my business partners to come together and find a location for the gym, (Hardonk is a partner and trainer at the Dynamix Martial Arts, Santa Monica, California), get the construction done and get everything arranged.

Then we started to teach, build the clientele, build the team and then I had some fighters coming over to train with me - I’ve just been super, super busy. Although it’s not like I’m officially retired, I still have some fights on contract with the UFC. So a year ago I took a break, I took a hiatus.

Right now I’m thinking about maybe I could do a few more fights but then I’ve just been so busy that so far I didn’t really have a chance. I guess that’s a good thing though, that’s a good luxury to have I guess?

FO: So is their a possibility we might see you back competing in 2011?

You know what, It was always on my mind to do a few more fights. I consider myself still young in MMA (Hardonk is 35 in February). I’m very fortunate in that I’m physically still healthy and I still feel that I’m developing myself. I still feel that I’m getting better.

FO: Is there a particular fight that appeals to you if you were to fight again?

No. I never look at the fighter or who I’m fighting. For me fighting is nothing personal. It’s more the journey. About getting myself ready, preparing myself the best I can and getting myself in a good physical (and) mental state. I don’t really look at other fighters or fights in that way.

FO: You mentioned your Dynamix gym earlier, what fighters have you been training with?

Right now I’m training with Jared Hamman (11-3 UFC light-heavyweight). I train with (30 fight veteran) Vladmir Matyushenko, then last year I was helping Stefan Struve (25-4) in the summer. He came by for a few months to prepare for his fight. (Struve scored back-to-back stoppages over Christian Moorecraft and Sean McCorkle in the latter half of 2011). I’ve also been working with Spencer Fisher (24-6 UFC lightweight) for a bit.

It’s fun to work with all these guys that are already good fighters and are already experienced and on a high-level. I really love to work with other fighters and I think I can add something to their fighting and help them to get the best out of themselves.

FO: Stefan Struve’s become something of a fan favourite recently, someone that goes out there and gives everything inside the cage. With the heavyweight division getting increasingly stacked in recent years, how far do you think he can go?

I think that Stefan is extremely talented. I do think though that he is still like a raw rock and he needs a lot of polishing. Everybody see’s that he’s tall (Struve is 6’11) with this reach, and on the ground he’s got those long arms and legs that he can use.

He’s strong, physically athletic, a tough guy who has the right mindset - the will and the mental toughness. But I think in fighting there’s so many subtleties and sometimes he makes things very complicated for himself. He manoeuvres himself in difficult positions and I think that there’s a lot that he can do to get way, way better than he is right now.

FO: The heavyweight division, more than any other, has a very high turnover of champions with no fighter every achieving three consecutive title defences.

Do you think current champion Velasquez is the man to change that? Or can you see dos Santos winning that fight? (The two are scheduled to fight sometime in 2011, a definitive date pending the champions recovery from a shoulder injury).

That’s a tough one. I don’t know who’s gonna win that fight but I do think that Velasquez is gonna be a very strong force in the coming years for a long time. He is extremely talented. He is a strong boy, very technical, very well-rounded and also it seems he is very self-aware and smart that way. So I do think he is gonna be a big champion and gonna be around for a long while.

FO: Was you surprised by his performance against Brock Lesnar (Velasquez (T)KO’d Lesnar to the surprise of many, though not all, in emphatic fashion at UFC 121).

No. Not at all. I wish I had put money on it! Everybody was thinking that Velasquez was too young and not ready for it yet, (the title shot), but I saw the weaknesses from Brock Lesnar’s side and I also assumed that Cain Velasquez was the man to show those weakness, show those holes in Lesnar’s game.

FO: Keeping on the subject of heavyweights, fellow Dutch fighter Alastair Overeem recently won the 2010 K-1 World Grand Prix and then finished Todd Duffee just weeks later in under 20 seconds at Dynamite!! 2010. How highly do you rate Overeem, and do you think we’ll ever see him clash heads with any of the UFC heavyweights?

I think that Alastair is a very strong competitor in both kickboxing and in MMA. I do think though that he is a little bit overrated right now because the last two years he hasn’t really fought any big names in MMA.

I’m aware of the whole controversy of what Dana White was saying (White questioned his ranking as a top ten heavyweight given the ‘quality‘ of past opponents, a familiar criticism frequently levelled at Fedor Emelianenko). But I think that Dana White has a point. FO: Lastly, on the subject of K-1, there is a strong Dutch contingent currently competing. How do you see the futures of both Peter Aerts and Gokhan Saki?

I’m a big fan of Peter Aerts. He’s a great fighter. He’s been around for so long it’s phenomenal. I’m a little bit worried though, you know? Fighting on that level for so long with Peter Aerts’ intensity! That’s not healthy! He’s not very old (Aerts turned 40 in October) and if you look at the numbers (102-28-1 kickboxing record) he can go a few more years.

But he has been fighting in so many tough fights, so many strong fights, so many champions for the last 20-25 years. I enjoy every fight that he is in and every performance. He always gives a great show and a hell of a fight but I think that he should start thinking about retiring in the next couple (of fights).

As for Saki he is a very good fighter. I really enjoy watching him fight. Actually years ago I was supposed to fight him but he got injured and pulled out and that fight never happened. But I think right now in the K-! circuit he is one of the most technical guys in there.

He’s dealing with people that are much taller, much bigger reach, much heavier and carrying much more mass but the way he moves is dealing with it very well and I really enjoy watching him.

Kemal
11-01-2011, 15:40
zou erg leuk zijn als hij weer partijen gaat draaien!

rafi
11-01-2011, 16:02
antony hardonk is een golddigger. een rijke wijf aan de haak geslagen in amerika en meteen gekapt met vechten.

remco pardoel
11-01-2011, 16:10
Beetje vreemde uitspraak Rafi...

Dana White is alleen maar bezig met propaganda voor de UFC ...
Hij heeft niet alle beste atleten in huis en zeker niet in de heavyweights

JDS en Valezquez zijn waanzinnig goed en de rest is redelijk tot goed maar komen niet in de buurt van een Fedor, Overeem of een Barnett

Het is mooi dat Hardonk het goed doet daar in LA

Harrie Nak
11-01-2011, 17:01
Thanks!

Slome
11-01-2011, 17:07
Thanks, leuk om wat van Antoni te horen...

@ Rafi, wat een lulkoek...

Petrosyan188
11-01-2011, 17:09
antony hardonk is een golddigger. een rijke wijf aan de haak geslagen in amerika en meteen gekapt met vechten.

hij was bezig met een gym opbouwen geloof ik... dat doe je ook niet even 1,2,3... meestal doe je dat na je carriere maar antoni blijkbaar niet en dat is z'n goed recht. iniedergeval ik kijk er naar uit

Guile
11-01-2011, 19:55
Zal wel moeten winnen anders is het ook zwaai zwaai ben ik bang. Jammer btw, had meer progressie verwacht.

steftheboxer
11-01-2011, 19:58

Hahahaha shit dacht dat ik www.mixfight.nl (http://www.mixfight.nl) had ingetikt maar zit nu volgens mij op www.story.nl (http://www.story.nl)

redjuh
11-01-2011, 20:02

imo betere prestatie dan UFC kampioen worden

appelsap
11-01-2011, 21:07

Jij moet proberen een lerares Nederlands aan de haak te slaan. En dan kappen met posten.

redjuh
11-01-2011, 21:15
pnw3d

ik zou nog iets toe willen voegen mbt naar een ander land verkassen, en stoppen met werken...... maar dat gaat hier niet op, aangezien het runnen van een sportschool wel echt werken is. dit itt de groep waarop ik in nl doelde

rafi
11-01-2011, 21:51
Jij moet proberen een lerares Nederlands aan de haak te slaan. En dan kappen met posten.ik krijg al les van je moeder. en binnenkort krijg ik ook bij les van je zusje.

wrestler_nl
11-01-2011, 21:57
ik krijg al les van je moeder. en binnenkort krijg ik ook bij les van je zusje.

Hoe oud ben jij? 11?!?

rafi
11-01-2011, 22:01
11 dou jij ben

yuko
11-01-2011, 22:02

http://www.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/237580/double-facepalm.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forum.techzine.nl/forum/list_messages/104973/33&usg=__3C_chMB36qbbjCjK-iflZeq-EHY=&h=512&w=640&sz=50&hl=nl&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=ZxOwWvUtdlFVNM:&tbnh=142&tbnw=201&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddouble%2Bfacepalm%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dnl% 26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1199%26bih%3D903%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=356&vpy=78&dur=2438&hovh=201&hovw=251&tx=161&ty=90&ei=g7YsTd3aA9HoOffwhbcJ&oei=g7YsTd3aA9HoOffwhbcJ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0http://www.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/237580/double-facepalm.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forum.techzine.nl/forum/list_messages/104973/33&usg=__3C_chMB36qbbjCjK-iflZeq-EHY=&h=512&w=640&sz=50&hl=nl&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=ZxOwWvUtdlFVNM:&tbnh=142&tbnw=201&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddouble%2Bfacepalm%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dnl% 26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1199%26bih%3D903%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=356&vpy=78&dur=2438&hovh=201&hovw=251&tx=161&ty=90&ei=g7YsTd3aA9HoOffwhbcJ&oei=g7YsTd3aA9HoOffwhbcJ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/237580/double-facepalm.jpg

cholitzu
11-01-2011, 22:03
imo betere prestatie dan UFC kampioen worden

:lol: lol

rafi
11-01-2011, 22:05
wat is er vandaag met mixfight aan de hand iemand hoef maar een scheetje te laten naar iemand zijn richting. en ze beginnen allemaal te janken. toch mis ik wel dat mixfight van 2 jaar terug.

wrestler_nl
11-01-2011, 22:07
wat is er vandaag met mixfight aan de hand iemand hoef maar een scheetje te laten naar iemand zijn richting. en ze beginnen allemaal te janken. toch mis ik wel dat mixfight van 2 jaar terug.

een scheetje?

remco pardoel
11-01-2011, 22:07
Het kan wel een beetje beschaafder Rafi...
Ik vindt dit nergens op slaan.
Een excuses mag je zeker wel aanbieden aan Appelsap.
(was een mooi reply appelsap btw :))

Leer eerst a.u.b. fatsoenlijk Nederlands te schrijven en post iets waar mensen iets aan hebben.

Hardonk heeft veel bereikt in zijn korte leven en nu is hij bezig met een hele mooie nieuwe uitdaging.
En dan kom jij met zoiets slaps aan zetten?

TOON
11-01-2011, 22:13

je hebt scheetjes en scheetjes....dit was echt een vieze rotte eierscheet!

rafi
11-01-2011, 22:15
waarom moet ik hem een excuses moeten aanbieden? als je zo een reactie geeft aan mij. kun je zo.n actie terug verwachten.

rafi
11-01-2011, 22:17
je hebt scheetjes en scheetjes....dit was echt een vieze rotte eierscheet!haha ik eet iedere dag een eitje met mijn onbijt. ik zal even kijken of ze niet overdatum zijn.

Briant
11-01-2011, 22:23
http://thepqnation.com/livingwicked/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/oh_no_you_didnt.gif

Je bent jezelf niet populair aan het maken Rafi. Rustig aan met de moeder beledigingen he, die zou je zelf ook niet willen ontvangen.

rafi
11-01-2011, 22:27
ik weet het misschien vandaag toch met de verkeerde been uit bed gestapt. btw ben jij brian van de goude kooi.

love en peace bro

Briant
11-01-2011, 22:46
ik weet het misschien vandaag toch met de verkeerde been uit bed gestapt. btw ben jij brian van de goude kooi.

love en peace bro

Haha, nee man, ik ben niet Brian van de gouden kooi. Zo goed kan ik niet kickboxen :P

ICON
11-01-2011, 23:28

ik mis mixfight van 4/6 jaar geleden...

remco pardoel
11-01-2011, 23:40
Rafi,
Als je zo graag mensen tot op het bot wil beledigen zonder aanleiding..
Ga dan naar de pit en leef je uit.

rafi
11-01-2011, 23:51
is goed coach. btw wat zocht je zaterdag in de kalverstraat.

remco pardoel
12-01-2011, 00:10
Ja.....
Dat zou je graag willen weten ;)

Ook ik moet mijn boodschappen doen als ieder mens.

Next time een kop koffie of thee

rafi
12-01-2011, 00:20
haha.. afgesproken.

Milk
12-01-2011, 01:37
Krijg je er meteen een greep met wat ellebogen bij ;).

appelsap
12-01-2011, 04:19

Denk dat het een van je opblaaspoppen is geweest.......... Mijn moeder woont al jaren in een land waar je niet met de bus kunt komen, en ik heb geen zussen. Verder had je wel een nuttigere bijdrage geleverd aan dit forum, als je enige educatie van een van mijn familieleden gehad zou hebben. Maybe next lifetime you get lucky (da's engels....) gabber.

On topic. Ik heb veel respect voor Antony en hij heeft veel kwaliteiten. Ik denk echter wel dat hij het als trainer veel verder kan schoppen dan nu nog als vechter. Hij heeft niet veel meer te bewijzen dus daarvoor hoeft ie het niet te doen. Maar als hij nog echt wil zijn er nog beste aardige partijen te bedenken.

redjuh
12-01-2011, 13:22
mijn broertje en ik waren zijn allereerste pupillen toen hij voor het eerst echt les ging geven bij een school!
ik weet nog dat het heel lang duurde voordat ik eindelijk niet meer aan het judoën was bij bjj... binnen 15 min sparren helemaal stuk hehehe
met dik 110 kg die soepeltjes op je borstkas aan het surfen was. en ik maar trekken en duwen. LEVERAGE ROOIE