PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Ray Sefo

Slome
13-01-2011, 15:19
Interview: Ray Sefo
http://www.mmabay.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ray-Sefo2-274x300.jpg

You were last seen in MMA action on the Strikeforce Challengers card way back in September 2009 where you defeated Kevin Jordan via TKO due to an injury. What are your thoughts on how the fight went for you that night and how does MMA compare to the K-1 ring?

Sefo – I was happy I got the win but it wasn’t the way I wanted to win and like I said that night I’ll take it and keep learning… You can’t compare the two sports because they’re two very different sports but I love and respect both…

You’re rumoured to be returning to be returning to the Strikeforce cage on February 12th to take on MMA veteran, Valentijn Overeem in a reserve match for the recently announced heavyweight grand prix. Can you confirm anything surrounding that fight and what are your thoughts on facing someone like Overeem?

Sefo – Yes it’s true about the fight and as for Valentijn Overeem he’s a great fighter and has been around in the MMA world for a long time so it’s gonna be a tough fight. I’ve met Valentijn a few times in Japan and in Europe and he’s a really nice guy…

Like we said, the fight between you and Overeem is rumoured to be a reserve match for the much hyped and anticipated heavyweight grand prix that Strikeforce are holding next year. What would it mean to you as a very experienced fighter who’s seen it all over the years to be officially involved should you get the call?

Sefo – Like I said the fight is for sure on and for me to be part of it is an honour because I’ll be amongst some of the best MMA fighters in the world…

Both yourself and Overeem are predominantly stand-up fighters who like to throw down and look for the knockout. That said you’ve spent a lot of time over the past couple of years working out at the Xtreme Couture facility in Las Vegas alongside a bunch of world-class grapplers. Is there a chance that we could see “Sugarfoot” spring a surprise and take this one to the ground in search of a victory?

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mma_experts__12/ept_sports_mma_experts-765153055-1253906032.jpg?ymxpq8BDG8fVAdFR

Sefo – It’s MMA so anything can happen, lol!

I think you’d be the first to admit that you’ve not exactly been the most active fighter on the MMA front, just two fights in the past six years. What are your priorities right now and do you think we’ll see you more and more inside the Strikeforce cage over the next couple of years, especially if you pull off a win in your next fight?

Sefo – Yes your right about only having two MMA fights and yes your right again about seeing me more inside the MMA cage in the next few years…

As an experienced and well thought of and respected fighter I’d like to ask you for your take on the heavyweight divisions of both the UFC and Strikeforce. Both are filled with stellar names and deep with talent but if you have to match the top nine men from each against each other, which promotion would you give the edge to and why?

Sefo – It’s hard to say which is better because they’re both great events and they both have a good amount of great fighters. What I can say though is that I think Alistair Overeem is the number heavyweight out there today…

The “other” Overeem, Alistair, recently won the K-1 World Grand Prix title, defeating Peter Aerts in the final. What do you think it means to both the sport of MMA and kickboxing for someone like Overeem to capture the title after just a handful of fights in that discipline?

Sefo – A lot of people don’t know that Alistair Overeem was kickboxing before he was a MMA fighter although he didn’t fight at the higher level before he went to MMA he still was a good kick boxer back in the day. Now a day’s not only he has become a great MMA fighter he is also a great kickboxer/K-1 fighter and to be champion in two different sports is an amazing achievement…

Alistair is the first to be world champion in MMA as well as K-1 so a huge congrats to him for achieving what he’s achieved in the last few years, I think it’s great for both sports to have him as champion as long as he keeps improving and keeps fighting at the higher level of both sports which I think he can…

Finally, for any new fans that will be tuning in for the first time on February 12th, what can we expect from you in East Rutherford, New Jersey?

Sefo – Well my friend there is only one way I like to fight and that is knock out or be knocked out…

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/627982/168906_183171381706826_100000418967615_581385_5699 010_n.jpg

Have you got any sponsors you’d like to mention or people you’d like to thank before we finish?

Sefo – First of all I like to thank the good Lord then I wanna thank my family and friends and of course the fans from all over the world and also our team Extreme_Couture… I also wanna thank my strength and conditioning coach Jake Bonacci and my boxing coach Gil Martinez….

justsomeone
13-01-2011, 15:44
Tijn op sub

Kemal
13-01-2011, 17:55
leuk interview, Valentijn gaat deze idd pakken

K-1sunstarr
13-01-2011, 18:15
Sefo krijgt een pak rammel van Valentijn.
MMA is niet zijn ding, ik hoopte op een gedeugte tegenstander voor Valentijn, jammer.

mmaikel
14-01-2011, 04:40
Ben benieuwd hoe valentijn het zal doen.

Biiyen
14-01-2011, 10:24
Sefo, goeie gozer maar dit is ver buiten zijn boekje... Hij kan niet eens meer mee in de K1, laat staan een MMA toernooi.

T15Boxing
14-01-2011, 12:12
Als het staand blijft, Sefo op KO.

Slome
08-02-2011, 23:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQt5-Xsj0-Y&feature=player_embedded

Baske
09-02-2011, 00:31
Blijft toch altijd wreed om Sefo bezig te zien.

chechen
09-02-2011, 13:29
ik zie sefo wel winnen van valentijn

dirk5
09-02-2011, 13:49
ik zie sefo wel winnen van valentijn

Dan ben je toch een van de weinige denk ik......

SjorsWilms
09-02-2011, 14:39
Dan ben je toch een van de weinige denk ik......
Misschien KO, wie weet

T15Boxing
09-02-2011, 17:28
Zoals ik zei, als Valentijn Sefo naar de grond brengt zou hij kunnen winnen maar staand moet hij niet proberen. Sefo stoot te hard en Overeem heeft laten zien dat hij niet genoeg kan incasseren.