PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive Simon Rutz interview

Soulbringer320
25-01-2011, 01:40
Amidst all the bad K-1 news, Europe’s top fighting organization, It’s Showtime, has been a hot topic of conversation lately. As plans for 2011 come together, we’re seeing more and more events announced by the company, who find themselves constantly expanding their product throughout the world. But in the middle of all the positive news came an unfortunate announcement last week – due to a planned co-promotion with K-1 falling through, It’s Showtime would not run their big annual show at the Amsterdam Arena in 2011.
Between this latest news, all the rumors swirling around K-1, Badr Hari’s return, and various other stories, now seemed like a good time to speak to the always forthcoming It’s Showtime president Simon Rutz. As always, Mr. Rutz offered plenty of insight into their dealings with K-1 and so much more.
Read on for part 1 of this 2 part exclusive LiverKick.com interview, as we get the story on exactly what happened with the canceled Amsterdam Arena event and the state of affairs for K-1 and It’s Showtime.

LiverKick.com: It’s a shame you may not run in the Amsterdam Arena this year. When did you begin to think this show might not happen?
Simon Rutz: We have already known for many years that K-1 has big problems, but a few months ago they said to me that they have a new investor. That was the reason why I agreed to cooperate on the Amsterdam Arena event in May this year. Around Christmas I felt that there was something wrong with their situation because they didn’t answer my requests anymore.

LK: What were the plans for the show? Did you have fighters already lined up?
SR: When It’s Showtime and K-1 cooperate I always give my suggestions, and most of the time they use them. My suggestions for this year were: Badr Hari vs. Gokhan Saki; Peter Aerts vs. Tyrone Spong; and Hesdy Gerges vs. Alistair Overeem, Errol Zimmerman, or someone else.

LK: We’ve heard a lot about K-1 not paying fighters, and I know Giorgio Petrosyan had problems with that last year. Are there It’s Showtime or Black Label fighters who are waiting to be paid by K-1?
SR: Yes, the following fighters have not been paid for a fight: Melvin Manhoef, Tyrone Spong, Daniel Ghita, Hesdy Gerges, Gago Drago, Pajonsuk, Dzevad Poturak, Chahid, and Giorgio Petrosyan still needs his win bonus from the last K-1 MAX tournament. It is a lot of money! I never let our fighters fight before they are paid for their last fight. I hear that some other fighters haven’t gotten their money for 4 fights. It is a sad situation for all the fighters.

LK: Given all these problems, what, in your opinion, does K-1 need to do to survive?
SR: They need a lot of money, and they must ask my advice (and do something with that advice) because they do a lot of stupid things.

LK: If they don’t get that money, and they don’t survive, what will it mean for kickboxing and for It’s Showtime?
SR: If they don’t survive it is very bad for the sport and for many fighters. For It’s Showtime, it would mean that we are the number 1 kickboxing organization in the world and everybody will look to us. We are getting busy like never before. We have already seen a movement from K-1 to It’s Showtime. Almost every day I talk with people around the world who want to organize an It’s Showtime event in their country.

LK: Would you ever consider buying out K-1?
SR: Why should I do that? I have my own brand and company who is healthy and is going very well. Also, what am I buying then? Only a lot of problems! The [K-1] name is very strong, but I already have a good name. I will keep my money in my pocket!

LK: You said you are talking with people around the world, and this looks like a huge year for you with new events in England, Germany, and Spain. Any details on those shows?
SR: Our schedule for the year is now: March 6 – Amsterdam, Holland; March 26 – Brussels, Belgium; May 14 – Lyon, France (not signed yet); May – Manheim, Germany (not signed yet); June 11 – Warsaw, Poland; July 23 – Sochi, Russia; August 27 – Sarajevo, Bosnia; September 18 – Amsterdam, Holland; September 24 – Manchester, England (not signed yet); October 8 – Geneva, Switzerland; End of December in Amsterdam for the It’s Showtime Christmas Edition again. We are also talking about It’s Showtime events in Spain, Ukraine, and Australia. As you see, we are really busy. We have at least 10 big events this year, maybe 12.

LK: You know I have to ask – any further info on possibly running in the United States?
SR: I am getting more and more interest for It’s Showtime events in the US. Last week, one of the TV stations from the US bought our It’s Showtime events, so that is starting. I also am speaking with several people to see what the possibilities are in the US. But when we start, we will start slowly with events for 2,000 people.

LK: With all this expansion, where do you want It’s Showtime to be in 2 years?
SR: Pff......... 6 months ago I said that in 5 years It’s Showtime would organize between 15 and 20 events a year, but we are going so fast, maybe next year we will already be doing 15 events a year!

Check back tomorrow for the conclusion of this interview as we discuss Remy Bonjasky’s retirement, Cosmo Alexandre, the Hesdy Gerges/Semmy Schilt controversy, and of course, Badr Hari.

Kemal
25-01-2011, 07:52
thanks leuk interview

Irishrover
25-01-2011, 14:39
Thanks,

Geen vrolijk nieuws dit, K-1 heeft er echt een zooitje van gemaakt, zoveel vechters die hun geld nog moeten krijgen. Crisis periode voor de kickbox wereld.

Hoop dat It's showtime in ieder geval lang genoeg blijft bestaan & groter word, zodat het allemaal nog in leven blijft.

Baske
25-01-2011, 14:51
Crisis periode? Hoezo?

De K-1 valt misschien weg - een ander bedrijf neemt hun business plan over. Makkelijk zat.

univers1l
25-01-2011, 15:10
ben benieuwd naar deel 2

Pindakaas
25-01-2011, 15:20
Crisis periode? Hoezo?

De K-1 valt misschien weg - een ander bedrijf neemt hun business plan over. Makkelijk zat.

Denk dat je hier echt veel te makkelijk over denkt. Er zal echt niet een bedrijf zo makkelijk de rol van K-1 overnemen en al helemaal niet het business plan want dat is wat ze in de problemen heeft gekregen.

It's Showtime is op de goede weg maar ze zitten nog lang niet op het niveau dat de K-1 in al die jaren heeft opgebouwd (wat logisch is). Als de K-1 valt dan is dat echt wel een grote klap voor de kickboks wereld dat veel prestige zal kwijtraken en waarschijnlijk ook populariteit, zeker in Japan vraag ik mij af of er nog wel evenementen van zulke grote schaal zullen worden gehouden als de K-1 wegvalt.

univers1l
25-01-2011, 15:27
deel 2
http://www.liverkick.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=235:simon-rutz-interview-part-2&catid=34:demo-content

blackadder
25-01-2011, 15:32
Denk dat je hier echt veel te makkelijk over denkt. Er zal echt niet een bedrijf zo makkelijk de rol van K-1 overnemen en al helemaal niet het business plan want dat is wat ze in de problemen heeft gekregen.

It's Showtime is op de goede weg maar ze zitten nog lang niet op het niveau dat de K-1 in al die jaren heeft opgebouwd (wat logisch is). Als de K-1 valt dan is dat echt wel een grote klap voor de kickboks wereld dat veel prestige zal kwijtraken en waarschijnlijk ook populariteit, zeker in Japan vraag ik mij af of er nog wel evenementen van zulke grote schaal zullen worden gehouden als de K-1 wegvalt.
x2
De K1 had natuurlijk ook het voordeel dat het toegang had tot een vechtsport gek publiek in een grote markt. Dat heeft It's Showtime helaas niet. In NL en de rest van Europa zijn het toch voornamelijk de echte liefhebbers die naar dit soort evenementen gaan. De rest gaat naar *kots* voetbal.

Richelieu
25-01-2011, 16:05
deel 2
http://www.liverkick.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=235:simon-rutz-interview-part-2&catid=34:demo-content

Even wat makkelijker; (Bron - Liverkick.com)

LiverKick.com Exclusive Interview with Simon Rutz Part 2

LiverKick.com: It’s very exciting to hear Badr Hari will return in May in Lyon. Is that fight confirmed?
Simon Rutz: It is not confirmed yet because the contract is not signed, but I think we will have the contract signed in 2 weeks.

LK: Any news on his return opponent?
SR: At this moment we are talking with possible opponents.

LK: Where do his legal troubles stand?
SR: Nobody knows what will happen in the future with this case! This case was big in the news in The Netherlands, but from what I understand, the police still don’t have any witnesses.

LK: So do you have concerns about Hari’s reputation considering the trouble kickboxing recently had with the government in Amsterdam?
SR: Of course it doesn’t help! But these are two totally different cases. Amsterdam wants to have big sports events in their city, but with one of the biggest events (It’s Showtime), they make it difficult. When we don’t run show in the future in Amsterdam, it will be a shame for the city, but not for It’s Showtime. We will survive with or without Amsterdam.

LK: Remy Bonjasky is working with It’s Showtime now. Have you discussed him having a retirement fight with you?
SR: Yes, I discussed a retirement fight for him, but the money he asked for I don’t want to pay! Of course he can ask, but believe me, nobody will pay him that much money!

LK: How did you feel about K-1’s response to the protest regarding the Hesdy Gerges vs. Semmy Schilt fight?
SR: What they said and did was bullshit. They say that the corner for Schilt was wrong, and they punished the judges? I understand why K-1 did this, because last year they didn’t get Badr Hari and Remy Bonjasky, so they needed the 4 time K-1 winner Semmy Schilt in the final. I think if Hesdy Gerges was in the final, it would have been a totally different final.

LK: You had an unfortunate falling out with Cosmo Alexandre last year. Why couldn’t that situation be worked out?
SR: Because it was the second time he did something wrong. But for me there’s no problem. He is a nice guy and a good fighter, but I don’t use him anymore.

LK: I understand your clause regarding fighters taking fights before It’s Showtime shows – is that written in to their contracts?
SR: It’s always written in their contract, but with Cosmo, we didn’t write the contract because, stupid as I am sometime, a word from me is more important than a contract. But don’t misunderstand me, in 99% of the cases we have a contract!

LK: Tyrone Spong is no longer the 95kg champ. Any idea when there will be a fight for that title, and who might fight for it?
SR: Yes, I am working on that and I think that 2 fighters are fighting for this title on March 6 in Amsterdam. Soon I will let everybody know.

LK: Melvin Manhoef said on twitter that he likely won’t fight for It’s Showtime this year. Might he be stripped of the 85kg belt?
SR: If he doesn’t fight for his title, yes I will strip him of the belt because those are the rules! But Melvin is Melvin, one day he says that and the other day he thinks differently. Also, if he doesn’t fight this year for It’s Showtime and K-1 is broke, who else can pay him? Last time Melvin was disappointed because K-1 didn’t treat him well and that’s the case.

LK: What are your personal favorite fights in It’s Showtime history?
SR: Badr Hari vs. Sem Schilt, Mootje Khamal vs. Chahid, Ivan Hipolyte vs. Rayen Simson, Rob Kaman vs. Alexei Ignashov, and almost all the fights from Gago Drago.

LK: Last year when I spoke to you and asked who we should watch for in 2010, you brought up Aussi Ouzgni, who then had a great year. So, who should we watch out for in 2011?
SR: Marat Grigorian is one of the biggest talents in the world. Watch him.

LK: Anything else our readers should know?
SR: A lot of people think that It’s Showtime is happy that K-1 is broke, but believe me we hope that K-1 survives. That’s really better for the sport. Also personally I like the people from FEG like Mr. Tanikawa, but in my opinion they do a lot of strange things. For many years I have said to them that they must do things differently but every time they do the opposite. I think that they were afraid of It’s Showtime, but that is totally not necessary. The world is big enough for two good and big kickboxing organizations. Also, I want to say that life is beautiful! Carpe Diem!