PDA

View Full Version : Miami Nice for 'The Hayemaker'

DAWK1D
10-03-2011, 22:38
Miami Nice for 'The Hayemaker'

WBA world heavyweight champion David 'The Hayemaker' Haye will return to Miami next month in order to kickstart preparations ahead of his blockbuster showdown with IBF/WBO king Wladimir Klitschko this summer.

The 30-year-old Londoner has spent much of 2011 based Stateside and believes the key to dethroning Klitschko in either June or July could come down to a decision to split training between home and abroad.

“It's always beneficial to keep things fresh and interesting as far as training goes,” said Haye, 25-1 (23 KO) as a professional.

“I will be looking to start training in Miami and then spend the final six or seven weeks back home at my gym in Vauxhall, London. That way I'll be able to do the bulk of my conditioning work and early boxing work amongst the sun and sand of Miami, and can then come home for the big promotional push in great shape.

"Once back in England, I'll then be able to start the key sparring in a great frame of mind and in fantastic physical shape.”

Haye's love affair with Miami began in 2006, when he first ventured out there to train ahead of a European title defence against Denmark's Lasse Johansen. The Briton spent many weeks preparing inside the latino-flavoured gyms of South Beach, and often worked alongside such boxing luminaries as Glen Johnson, Ricardo Mayorga, Fres Oquendo (pictured) and Joel Julio during his time there. The fighter now calls legendary 5th Street Gym in Miami Beach a home away from home.

“You can never beat the feeling of being at home, but it's sometimes great to get away and experience something different,” added Haye.

“The weather isn't the greatest in England right now and, as an athlete, sometimes it can be difficult finding the motivation to get out there and do those long runs in the pouring rain. It's far better to be working out in the heat and to be able to do your runs on the beach.

“I have a good history with Miami and have never lost a fight that I've prepared for out there. In fact, I prepared for my 2008 fight with Enzo Maccarinelli in South Beach and it was one of the best camps I've ever had. Nobody could believe the shape I whipped my body into while out in Miami. I actually came in two pounds under the cruiserweight limit, despite telling everybody I was tight at the weight. Going away to the heat of Miami allowed me to get into that kind of shape.”

Bron: Miami Nice for 'The Hayemaker' - Hayemaker News - The Official Hayemaker Website
(http://www.hayemaker.com/news/article/185/miami-nice-for-the-hayemaker.aspx)