PDA

View Full Version : Looking to train in Holland

robsullivan
14-03-2011, 21:51
I am looking for any advice on where to look for training muay thai/kickboxing in Holland. My background is wrestling and BJJ. However I am very focused on developing my striking. If anyone has any advice they could give me about what gyms allow Americans to come train for a month or so that would be great. I feel that if you want to get better at something you go to where it is most perfected. I also am in a fortunate situation that I could probably find a place to stay if need be.

Thanks for your time

Rob

weks
14-03-2011, 21:54
i would say mike's gym in amsterdam

blackadder
14-03-2011, 22:04
Chakuriki Amsterdam
Vos Gym
Golden Glory

el bastardo
14-03-2011, 22:23
It all depends on where you want to stay in Holland. Lots of great gyms to choose from I would say...

Bassie
14-03-2011, 22:56
Fight & Power Academy in Amerfoort!

Briant
14-03-2011, 23:11
I would go below the rivers, people are much nicer here :P Also I hear above the rivers they dont allow Americans in their gyms.

KTFO
14-03-2011, 23:40
http://www.friends-gym.nl

baraa_a
14-03-2011, 23:42
Fpa is the best for i think,

ARMENIA
15-03-2011, 00:13
kickboxing wierden, it's probably the best gym in holland:P

ARMENIA
15-03-2011, 00:13
dan wordt hij waarschijnlijk nog slechter dan dat die was:P

lopez86
15-03-2011, 01:50
Calmaro Gym.
Responsible for the stand-up of TUF7 winner Amir Sadollah, and Bellator contender & All-American Nik Fekete.

appelsap
15-03-2011, 02:34
I would base myself in Amsterdam as you have numerous Gym's to choose from, and the environment is very international.

Vos Gym (also MMA training so you can keep up the ground game a bit)
Mike's Gym (same thing)
Chakuriki
Mejiro
All have experience with foreign fighters. All have different styles and run their gyms differently. So I would pass by most of them a couple of times the first week and then make a decision.......

Richelieu
15-03-2011, 08:24
It all depends on where you want to stay in Holland. Lots of great gyms to choose from I would say...

x2

robsullivan
15-03-2011, 13:42
Thank you all for this. I cant respond to any of the private messages due to being so new to the board. I have 2 guys at my gym training for fights and I'm heavily involved in their camps. Once they give me their fight dates I can figure out when I can travel. Probably in the late spring. Id like to spend a month over there. Ive done the typical tourist stuff in the past so my only concern while there is training. I just need to figure out what I can afford. Im willing to sleep on a floor every day in someones house as long as I am training. As well as returning this favor here in America.

Tykill
15-03-2011, 15:25
One month of training shouldn't be expensive at all. Finding a place to sleep would be your biggest concern, though there are many cheap places you can sleep in Amsterdam.

Like the others said, every gym has it's own style so maybe you should visit more then one before you choose.

I'm sure you will learn a lot. :)

robsullivan
22-03-2011, 21:43
So I made a decision and I am going to train at Kickingboxing Arnhem with Fred Royers. My biggest problem now is finding some place very cheap to stay. If anyone knows of anything in that area worth checking out or even a floor I could sleep on for the month of June please email me [email protected] . I still haven't made enough posts to answer private messages.

Thanks again. This forum really helped me out.

marcelt
22-03-2011, 22:12
Fred Royers is avery good choice I suppose. Hope you find a place to stay soon!

Briant
22-03-2011, 22:29
Fred Royers is really cool place to train. Theres a good BJJ teacher there as well, so you can do some ground as well.

Sapinho
23-03-2011, 00:36
Fred Royers is really cool place to train. Theres a good BJJ teacher there as well, so you can do some ground as well.

:thup:

Ervani
23-03-2011, 01:48
Amsterdam?
Group training at Mousid gym
Pads training with Frits Werner

robsullivan
23-03-2011, 21:37

Yea I couldn't find anything on who instructed their BJJ but thats great to hear.

Cave
23-03-2011, 23:40
Yea I couldn't find anything on who instructed their BJJ but thats great to hear.

Fred had a guy from Australia train at his gym for about two months and I believe that guy even spent some time sleeping at the gym. IF you want to stay for a month or longer I would recommend you try to get a place through Fred since I don't think spending your dollars on hotels/hostels is the cheapest/best way of staying over here for a month.

That being said, I think you made a great choice by training at Fred Royers. The man is a veteran trainer, has been an fighter and world champion himself, has trained loads of good/great fighters and a vast amount of knowledge of the game, both boxing and kickboxing.
If you want to keep up your BJJ, Fred has a Dutch black belt - Willem Peters - who teaches two, two hour, classes a week and who is an experienced tournament-fighter himself.

Anyway, hope to see you some time during spring.

Tykill
23-03-2011, 23:48
Fred has a lot of knowledge :) wise choice

Strange Cutbean
24-03-2011, 00:33
The Ausie who trained at Kickboxing Arnhem (was suposed to train 2 months but it became almost a year) later stayed at a room next to the gym as a kind of house guard. If you come to Arnhem we'll find out where you must be for such a place.

See you soon in Arnhem!

robin1234
24-03-2011, 08:13
here you go check thise site and transelate:\

http://kickboksen.startpagina.nl/

robsullivan
24-03-2011, 21:13
The Ausie who trained at Kickboxing Arnhem (was suposed to train 2 months but it became almost a year) later stayed at a room next to the gym as a kind of house guard. If you come to Arnhem we'll find out where you must be for such a place.

See you soon in Arnhem!

Yea I'd be ok sleeping in a tent every night in a camp site somewhere as long as I could shower each day. I've been looking into long stay hotels or month to month apartments. I have friends in The Netherlands but none of them are close to Arnhem.

marokkaan
25-03-2011, 12:20
If I haven't been married and didn't had a small house, you'de be more than welcome.

I hope you find yourself a place soon.

Train hard, fight easy!

robsullivan
25-03-2011, 12:55
If I haven't been married and didn't had a small house, you'de be more than welcome.

I hope you find yourself a place soon.

Train hard, fight easy!

I totally understand that. If anyone has a floor I'd gladly sleep on it however. I am very to myself and very far from a party type of guy. I have traveled to Europe multiple times because and my only focus is to train.