PDA

View Full Version : Thiago Silva ADMITS Guilt in Drug Testing from UFC 125

Devilprince
30-03-2011, 20:59
Silva issued a statement through his camp at American Top Team explaining the situation, and apologizing for his misdeeds.

“We make decisions every day of our lives. Some are good and some are bad. When you make a bad decision, you can either make the situation worse by trying to cover it up or lie about it or just stick your head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge it even happened or you can own up to it with an honest explanation, accept the consequences of your actions, apologize to the people affected by it, learn from it and move on. I’m choosing the second option,” Silva wrote.

“I used a urine adulterant when giving a sample following my fight with Brandon Vera. I did so in an attempt to alter the results of the test and knowingly broke the rules of the Nevada Athletic Commission. This was a terrible decision on my part for which I will be punished. I am prepared to accept this punishment, learn from it and move on. I apologize to the Commission, the UFC, Brandon Vera, and the MMA fans.”

The punishment, which will be doled out by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, could result in several things. Silva could be suspended or have his fighting license revoked, and the fight with Vera could be deemed a no contest.

Silva went on to explain the situation surrounding his use of performance enhancing drugs, in regards to why he did it, and why he went to lengths to cover it up.

“I do want to explain the circumstances behind my actions. Please do not interpret this as an attempt to justify my actions. I know they were wrong and I know I made bad decisions and I know I deserve to be punished. That is why I began my statement with an admission and an apology before going into these details. This is not an excuse, only an explanation,” Silva said.

“I had been tested on five prior occasions while fighting for the UFC before the Brandon Vera fight. Four of the tests were urine only and one included a blood sample as well, in New Jersey the day before the fight. I passed each of those tests. I suffered a severe back injury shortly before the Rashad Evans fight. It was the biggest fight of my career and there was no way I was going to pull out of it. I fought and lost and was out of action for a year rehabilitating the injury and getting ready to fight again.”

It was that very back injury, according to Silva, that led to the drug use that he eventually tried to mask for his UFC 125 drug testing before the fight with Vera.

“I reinjured my back 45 days before the fight with Brandon Vera. After not fighting for a year, I made the decision to not pull out of the fight,” Silva stated. “I also decided that the only way I could continue with the fight was to take injections in my back and spine that contained substances prohibited by the Nevada Athletic Commission. I also made the decision to use a product to hide the presence of these substances in a urine test.”

Silva takes full responsibility for his actions, and will accept whatever punishment the commission sees fit.

The only other recorded case similar to Silva’s was in 2007 when then Pride fighter Kevin Randleman submitted a sample inconsistent with human urine. The commission stripped him of his fight license and required he wait a year before re-applying.

“These decisions were mine and mine alone. I did not share this information with anyone prior to the fight for fear that I would not be allowed to fight. I obviously made a terrible decision. I have since learned that it may have even been possible to fight had I been open and honest and disclosed the injury and treatment prior to the fight. I also realize that not being allowed to fight as a result of the treatment would have been a better result than the mess into which I have now gotten myself,” said Silva.

“Again, I take full responsibility for making the decision to break the rules and try to cheat the system. I will accept the punishment I receive and will learn from this. I plan to come back as a better person and professional as a result.”

The commission will hold a meeting on April 7 to determine a temporary solution for the Silva situation. MMAWeekly.com has reached out to the Nevada State Athletic Commission to determine if the April 7 hearing will now close the books on Silva’s punishment since he has admitted his guilt, but we haven’t yet received

Thiago Silva Admits Guilt in Drug Testing from UFC 125, Will Accept Commission Punishment - UFC - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmaweekly-b8fdf550bd3f97cbdfa09e539e5395d8)

Baske
30-03-2011, 22:11
Ben benieuwd. Respect toch dat hij 't zo oppakt.

T15Boxing
31-03-2011, 13:59
Geen wonder. Als je kijkt naar zijn gedrag in zn gevecht, ik bedoel tuurlijk zit hij aan drugs.

MMAFAN-1122
31-03-2011, 15:55
Tja.....

Gilaiir
31-03-2011, 16:50
sja beetje jammer... meschien had Brandon zen ass alsnog kunnen kicken..

Kemal
31-03-2011, 19:11
jammer idd..