PDA

View Full Version : Former Boxing Champ Jeff Lacy Confirms Interest in Fighting Nick Diaz

Kemal
19-04-2011, 07:56
Over the last week, Nick Diaz (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Nick+Diaz/) has spoken extensively about the possibility of a big boxing payday. First, he called out two-time light-middleweight champ Fernando Vargas (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Fernando+Vargas/), but that fight seems unlikely to happen due to Vargas' medical issues.

Diaz's camp then called out former super middleweight champ Jeff Lacy (http://www.mmafighting.com/tag/Jeff+Lacy/). According to Lacy's team, it's a fight he's more than willing to take. On Monday, Lacy's management group confirmed his interest in facing the Strikeforce welterweight champ in a boxing match.

"Nick has accomplished a great deal in mixed martial arts and is certainly one of the best in the sport," Lacy said in a statement. "But getting in the ring with me for a boxing match is a path he needs to be very wary of taking. I'm willing to put it all on the line anytime, anywhere."

The 33-year-old Lacy would certainly be a credible opponent. He has a career mark of 25-4 with 1 no contest, competed for the U.S. during the 2000 Olympics, and has fought major names including Roy Jones, Jr., Jermain Taylor and Joe Calzaghe during his 10-year pro run. Seventeen of his wins have come by way of knockout. Lacy, though, has lost two straight fights, including an upset loss to unheralded Dhafir Smith in his last bout, just last December.

Though Diaz is best known for his handiwork in MMA cages with a career mark of 25-7, 1 no contest, he has boxed once professionally, winning his only match by unanimous decision back in April 2005. Despite winning 10 in a row, Diaz has voiced growing frustration about his MMA career.

During a recent interview on "Inside MMA," Diaz and his team voiced both that frustration along with a continued interest in boxing.

"I don't know," Diaz said. "I don't see much of a future in this sport for me, I honestly don't. Especially if there's not a whole s---load of money going on."

Lacy's manager Joey Gilbert -- himself a pro boxer -- was very complimentary of Diaz's skills, saying "his comfort level in the pocket and under fire is comparable to any seasoned boxing champion's" and adding that he believes Diaz has the best hands in MMA.

That said, Lacy's team has no doubt Diaz is in over his head if he does take the plunge against a high-caliber opponent.

"For the right price, I'm more than interested in heading to his turf and putting my fist in his mouth and silencing him," Lacy said.

Leventdepevent
19-04-2011, 08:47
nou Lacy is niet meteen de minste bokser

Harrie Nak
06-05-2011, 21:23
En bevestigd aldus Josh Gross (http://twitter.com/#%21/JoshGrossESPN/status/66561678027915265) van ESPN:

"Just received a press release stating Jeff Lacy has signed to fight Nick Diaz in Fall 2011."

SjorsWilms
06-05-2011, 22:23
Zo goed is Diaz toch weer niet?!?!?

Leventdepevent
06-05-2011, 22:36
nou ik ben benieuwd!

Facade
06-05-2011, 22:47
nou Lacy is niet meteen de minste bokser

Vind ik wel meevallen, hij is vooral een slugger en groot. Hij werd echt helemaal afgedroogd door zowel Calzaghe als Jones Jr. Sindsdien is ie helemaal uit de picture. Niet de eerste de besten natuurlijk maar dit was echt niet normaal. Vooral die tegen Jones Jr. is echt een aanrader. Lacy heeft 10 ronden geen schijn van kans maar Jones is gewoon zo achterlijk snel dat je gewoon wil kijken.

Shikoku
07-05-2011, 01:31
Nick Diaz wil alleen maar geld zien.

Ik heb hier geen behoefte aan. Het laat me ook nogal koud wat er gebeurt als ze boksen. Zodra Strikeforce overgaat in de UFC zal Nick toch weer aan de lopende band gevechten gaan verliezen tegen worstelaars.

bladetrinity
08-05-2011, 05:05
Ik wil die partij wel zien. Kijken hoe goed het boksen van Diaz in de boks ring is.

YoMarK
08-05-2011, 13:55
Kan het eigenlijk alleen maar jammer vinden, vind Diaz enorm vooruit gegaan de laatste jaren.