PDA

View Full Version : AKA's head trainer: Velasquez would lose in a stand-up war with Overeem

Slome
22-04-2011, 09:35
AKA's head trainer: Velasquez would lose in a stand-up war with Overeem

Javier Mendez, the head trainer at the American Kickboxing Academy has admitted his man and current UFC heavyweight champion, Cain Velasquez would lose a stand-up battle with his opposite number from Strikeforce, Alistair Overeem, explaining the big Dutchman is in a league of his own on the feet.

http://cdn-w.mmabay.co.uk/mmabay/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Alistair-Overeem-002.jpg

Mendez said:
“I’m not concerned about the size factor whatsoever. Cain’s used to wrestling with guys his size and bigger. It might be more of a deterrent for Overeem, because of Cain’s quickness and speed. Due to the fact that Overeem is an incredible striker, it would be stupid to simply strike with him.

Of course we’d strike with him, but we wouldn’t strike with him know what I mean? If we choose to stand with him, that’s probably one of those fights that we would lose … Critics used to say Cain had ‘pillow hands.’ The thing aboutCain Velasquezthat the people don’t understand is that you are watching a fighter that keeps evolving, he keeps learning, and getting better.”

“If you watch his fights, you’ll notice a big improvement with every fight. He went from having “no hands” to knocking people out! If you watched him on Sports Science on ESPN, they tested his punching power. He punched harder than anyone who has ever appeared on that show. How is that possible? I’ll tell you how it’s possible, he refined it, he worked on it. There’s a saying ‘with technique, comes power. When you hone that technique, you’ll bring the power.’ It took Cain a while, don’t get me wrong. He couldn’t hit hard at all, but he never stopped trying, and he has good speed. When you combine good speed and good technique, your going to generate some power.”

Overeem has recently signalled his intentions to win the heavyweight grand-prix this year before moving over to the UFC where he hopes to challenge both Velasquez and current number one contender, Junior dos Santos, although the latter is due to a number of comments made by the heavy hitting Brazilian.

Kemal
22-04-2011, 10:05
Zou wel een leuke partij zijn..

PD_EC
22-04-2011, 10:09
hoop dat overeem de kans krijgt om tegen cain te vechten

GerbenV
22-04-2011, 10:29
Ik denk dat Alistair het erg moeilijk zou hebben met het worstelen van Velasquez en het karwei staande zou moeten klaren! Een partij die ik zeker zou willen zien!

Slome
22-04-2011, 10:33
er zijn geruchten dan na het SF HW Tournament er een UFC/SF Superfights gala zal gaan plaats vinden... afwachten dus boys...