PDA

View Full Version : Alistair Overeem: The Cage is Safer than a Ring

Slome
08-06-2011, 11:55
Alistair Overeem: The Cage is Safer than a Ring

http://www.boxeomundial.net/news_images/186/5_16_2010_THE_REEM.JPG

Alistair Overeem prefers fighting in a ring, but recognizes that cages are a "fact" of the game. On today's Strikeforce conference call, Overeem talked about that and much more. He'll be taking on Fabricio Werdum in the Strikeforce HW Grand Prix on June 18th. The fight will be fought in a cage, of course, but Overeem is prepared for it:

I like the idea of a ring, but I think a cage is more safe. You can’t fall out of it. Basically I trained a lot of stuff the past five years. The whole way to prepare for a fight. Did I train in a cage? I think a cage is one fact of MMA today. I think everybody who is professional needs to keep his surroundings in consideration. You need to work with it. You need to use it to your advantage. So yes, I’ve been training differently now than five years ago.
Overeem wants to make a statement in this Grand Prix. He's putting the heavyweight division on notice.

This Grand Prix has the opportunity to show not only the fan in the U.S., but fans to the fans all over the world that I’m the number one. And the number one you don’t become by beating no names. You have to beat the names. And I think this tournament holds very good names, experienced names. It holds all sorts of names. But I believe that every fighter in the tournament is good, experienced, and you got to beat the best to become the best.
http://www.yellmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/alistair-the-reem-2.jpg

Alistair is in a tough tournament bracket, but he doesn't mind. In fact he welcomes the challenge:

I like the challenges that lie in front of me. You know, you’re going to face the strongest guy anyway. And I never complain about a fight. I’m a fighter, I love to fight. It’s what I do for a living. I’ve trained very hard for this fight, as will I do for my next fight. I’m just ready. I’m ready to go. I was ready three weeks ago.
Overeem is prepared physically and has his strategy mapped out:

Always I sit down with the team and look at an opponent. I look at their strong points, I look at the weak points. Well make a training schedule. A plan, a backup plan and a backup, backup plan. We’ve been doing that for the past four years. We’ve become more proficient at it all the time. How do you get ready? Basically I focus on myself. I don’t really worry about how the other people are training. Of course everybody has a growth factor which you have to consider. But I’m always focused on myself. Just get myself into good shape. Don’t get over trained--because that was one of the factors in a previous loss. Just get into top shape, stay in top shape. Because obviously my training is now done, just maintaining. Yeah. Stay happy, stay motivated, stay healthy. http://www.mmazone.nl/wp-content/uploads/overeem.jpg

Is he motivated?

I have a lot of motivation, believe me. But I’m just happy. I’m happy this fight is happening. I’ve wanted to fight Fabricio, then the tournament came around, he beat Fedor…for me an excellent opportunity to fight him. I’m motivated. You’re going to see that next week Saturday how motivated I am. Yeah, I’m motivated. I’m motivated!

Kemal
08-06-2011, 12:17
Mooi stukje! thanks Slome

K-1sunstarr
08-06-2011, 12:32
Jongens als ik dit lees krijg ik gewoon hard kloppingen van, hahaha ik kan niet wachten.
Hij sloop Fabicio, hij maak helemaal geen kans tegen Ali.
We zullen zien.

Naj85
08-06-2011, 13:02
same here! moet mijn hart in bedwang houden wanneer ze tegenover elkaar staan. ik begin dan te trillen haha, net als toen Fedor tegen Bigfoot ging vechten
Jongens als ik dit lees krijg ik gewoon hard kloppingen van, hahaha ik kan niet wachten.
Hij sloop Fabicio, hij maak helemaal geen kans tegen Ali.
We zullen zien.

lopez86
08-06-2011, 15:43
same here! moet mijn hart in bedwang houden wanneer ze tegenover elkaar staan. ik begin dan te trillen haha, net als toen Fedor tegen Bigfoot ging vechten

Same here!!
Ali heeft lang op deze kans gewacht.
Kan echt niet wachten, ik tel letterlijk de dagen af naar dit toernooi.

Naj85
08-06-2011, 15:55
Me 2! hoop dat ik niet dood ga voordat ik het gevecht heb gezien haha (hoop ik echt.. leven is kort/kwetsbaar)

dirk5
08-06-2011, 16:04
Ik hoop maar dat het langer duurt dan 1 minuut :) maar Ali gaat zeker slopen

BTW heeft Tank Abbott bijna iemand uit de kooi geduwd, dus eruitvallen is wel degelijk mogelijk.

MaartenManaus
08-06-2011, 17:16
Ook hier al de kriebels,
hoop op submission win
Go Alistar !

Silat
08-06-2011, 18:15
ik denk dat ik van achter de bank ga gluren met hartkloppingen en klamme handen.
Er is geen film spannender dan dit. Ik trek die spanning gewoon niet meer, hahahaha.

The Bulldog
08-06-2011, 18:25
Wordt een onverwachte match denk ik....

khoop dat Ali hem eerst staand pijn doet en gewoon op een hele slicke techniek werdum laat kloppen....

R.H.
08-06-2011, 18:26
Denk niet dat ik dit ga overleven als ik dit live ga kijken, word dus gewoon genoeg zuipen en dan de volgende ochtend hoor ik het wel. :)

blackadder
08-06-2011, 18:36
De titel is wat misleidend. Hij accepteert gewoon dat er in een kooi wordt gevochten omdat dat er nu eenmaal bijhoort. Niet omdat hij er nou zo heilig van is overtuigd. Dat lees ik er tenminste uit.

Damian_Gray
08-06-2011, 18:38
wordt weer snachts met zweterige voeten en hartkloppingen voor de laptop zitten

Bagheera
08-06-2011, 19:51
WAR ali!

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h390/image1102/T62011/08062011/BeCool2005.jpg
Mixfight members!

Hejar
09-06-2011, 10:03
werdum gaat hem slopen vriend

Slome
09-06-2011, 11:53
werdum gaat hem slopen vriend

je hebt -reps? is dat vanwege deze post of euhh.. ?

Chane
09-06-2011, 13:36
Deze match wordt echt TE spannend!!!

Mickey
09-06-2011, 22:49
Los van het feit dat ie fysiek redelijk goed in elkaar zit heeft ie ook echt een super mentaliteit.