PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Junior "Cigano" Dos Santos

Slome
21-06-2011, 00:39
Interview: Junior "Cigano" Dos Santos
Check below the exclusive interview with Cigano, who also talked about the bout between Rodrigo Nogueira and Brendan Schaub in UFC Rio, analyzing the Brazilian’s evolution in the trainings, and said there’s no revenge feeling against Velasquez, who defeated Nogueira in February of 2010.

“We say there’s no such thing, but it makes it a little spicier because I want to win to prove that we have a strong team here, but I think about it as my challenge and my focus, I want to become the champion”.

http://www.tatame.com/imagensup/7493/13085937443281.g.jpg

What are your thoughts about the bout against Carwin? Did everything go like you hoped it to?

I followed my game plan, I didn’t want to risk much because he’s a striker with big knockout power, so I played in a long distance, as I planned to, and used efficient coups, but not big combinations of punches, so I didn’t give him enough space to work on his game.

Was that your game plan? You’re usually more aggressive… People were wondering if you were cautious…

I was (cautious), I had to respect him (laughs). A big guy like him, with the knockout power he has, must be respected. I tried to do my best, and I guess the outcome was good. I felt like I was a lot faster than him, so I realized I developed my speed and I fit more powerful coups than him. It was a great challenge, but I’m happy to be on the line for the belt again.

What Cigano will we see against Velasquez?

Much aggressive, much aggressive. Velasquez is a guy who has great conditioning, so he’s a guy I want to go for the knockout or the submission. I can’t give him time or space to work on what he likes, the takedowns and doing the ground and pound game.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1421503/12_dossantos_vs_carwin_012_large_large.jpg

You’ve shown a great evolution on takedown defense and blocking this kind of game. How were the trainings?

I train Wrestling a lot, I like training takedown defenses, and I consider myself good while defending takedown attempts. So, that’s why I feel pretty much comfortable when the guys try to take me down, I feel comfortable, cool with it.

What are the differences and the similarities between Shane Carwin and Velasquez?

Velasquez is much faster and effective on his game, more technical. Velasquez is the number one on the heavyweight division, and it’ll be my greatest challenge ever.

How are you feeling, now that you have an actual chance at the belt?

That’s the dream (laughs). Most athletes dream about it and so do I. I really want to become a champion. It’ll change my life more than it’s already changed, and I’ll keep doing it. Becoming UFC’s champion is a huge thing for me.

http://huggingnuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Junior-dos-Santos-ice.gif

When you first got in UFC, nobody knew who you were and then you defeated Werdum, but now everybody knows how is Cigano, the guy who’ll have a title shot against Velasquez… How was it to you?

It’s happened so fast in my life. My first bout was on July of 2006, and now I’m on the line for the best in the greatest event of the world, so I guess I’ve been blessed by God, and I can only thank Him for it.

Velasquez was the last man to defeat Rodrigo Nogueira in UFC. Does it change something to you?

No. It’s a big challenge for me, but not because he has defeated Rodrigo, because Rodrigo is amazing, he’s an awesome guy, and I’m pretty sure he’ll turn it up and I guess he could even go there and do his rematch against Velasquez. We say there’s no such thing, but it makes it a little spicier because I want to win to prove that we have a strong team here, but I think about it as my challenge and my focus, I want to win this fight and become the champion.

Rodrigo will fight Schaub in UFC Rio. What are the expectations for this bout?

The expectations are great, Schaub is a guy who’s evolved a lot, has been applying some beautiful knockouts, he has gotten great wins, and I guess it’ll be bout between Rodrigo and Schaub, it’ll be a good challenge for Rodrigo to face and I believe he’ll win. Yesterday I trained with him… A guy’s who’s coming from three recent surgeries, and yesterday he did fight rounds with the guys and I helped him on the training, and it was very hard, so I was really glad realizing his evolution and I’m sure he’ll return to the top of the division.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6NTjLVTOJCJfe0cSM6O9GFq0ri8Ybx qXSz1A_0-k24LOBIeVP&t=1

Do you believe these surgeries will help him to use his most powerful game, which is the ground game?

He has that thought in mind now, that he is who is because of his ground game, but he’s also really tough in Boxing, had good takedowns, but on the floor he rules. He’s aware of that and I guess he’ll use it in his favor this time.

Do you believe it’s the best alternative: take him down and go for the submission?

I guess that’s what will happen. I guess Rodrigo will submit him on the ground.

But it won’t be easy to take him to the ground, right?

It won’t be any easy because he has great Wrestling skills, but he likes to play it dangerously, he’ll want to surprise, but will end up being submitted.

Kemal
21-06-2011, 00:43
leuk interview, beloofd ook een knalpartij te worden!

el lobo
21-06-2011, 01:24
Top gast die JDS.