PDA

View Full Version : Alistair Overeem Explains Why He Was Removed From Strikeforce GP

Kemal
20-07-2011, 23:11
Alistair Overeem's run in the Strikeforce (http://www.mmafighting.com/strikeforce/) heavyweight grand prix came to a screeching halt (http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/07/18/alistair-overeem-out-of-grand-prix-semis-but-still-a-strikeforc/) on Monday, when he was removed from the tournament due to not agreeing to fight on Sept. 10.

MMA Fighting (http://www.mmafighting.com/) corresponded with the Strikeforce heavyweight champion via e-mail on Tuesday to find out why he was removed from the tournament and what's next for him.

Ariel Helwani: Are you disappointed that you were taken out of the tournament?
Alistair Overeem (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/alistair/overeem/808/): Yes, of course I'm disappointed. Winning the tournament was my number one goal. I understand their position, but they have to understand mine, and I'm disappointed we couldn't work it out.

It has been reported that you have one fight left on your contract, is that true and how are negotiations going for an extension?
I don't like to talk about my contract negotiations, but the rumors about me pulling out of the tournament because of that are false. Everybody is trying to find reasons why I was pulled out of the tournament, but I can tell you this: it's not that difficult. Strikeforce promised me a date in the fall (October/November), I acted on it and chose to go on holiday and start my training in August. Zuffa/Showtime then decided to do it in September and then the ball was in my court, and I had to decline because I know it's too short of time to be prepared 100 percent Instead of postponing the event they decided that the show must go on and use one of the alternates. It's their choice, and I respect that but that don't change the fact that nobody benefits from this situation; the fans, the promotion, the event and myself are the ones that are missing out on a great tournament and a great fight. The only one that benefits out of this whole situation is Daniel Cormier (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/daniel/cormier/1409/), so I wish him best of luck, and I hope eventually to fight the winner of the tournament for the belt.

Showtime delayed the tournament in April, so why couldn't they delay it this time around?
I don't know but my guess is that when Zuffa took over Strikeforce there were other interests. If you look at the month of October, you can see three UFC (http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc) shows and two of them are big and have title fights as the main event. That makes you wonder if they want a Grand Prix semi-final in between on Showtime.

Sept. 10 is seven weeks away. Why isn't that enough time for you to prepare for a fight?
At the moment I have started training by myself because most of my team members and trainer are on holiday, so I didn't start my real training camp yet. I have to get sparring partners from other countries and fly them in and arrange accommodations. Everything was according to plan and that was to start my fighting program on August 1. So let's take that date as my starting point, then you have to be in the States a week before the fight. So if you calculate it, then you have just four weeks and that's not enough to have a good and well prepared training for such a big fight.

You've always been known as an active fighter, for example, you competed in a combined 14 MMA and K-1 bouts in 2009-10, however, you've fought just once in 2011. Why have things changed?
There are many explanations: the level of competition and the stakes are different. It's safe to say that all those opponents aren't as good as 'Bigfoot,' the other reason is that K-1 matches are very different to train and you don't need a very long training camp if you compare it to MMA. The most important is that you can fight multiple times if you don't interrupt your training. If the September date was confirmed right after the Werdum fight, it was no problem to get in shape because I would have skipped my holiday and organized the training camp earlier. If you go on a holiday and you stop training and enjoy life by eating things you're normally aren't allowed or going out instead of sleeping then your momentum is gone and you have to start all over again and that cost extra time as well. There is a reason why UFC champions only fight two times a year.

Have you talked to Zuffa since you were removed from the tournament? If so, what's the state of your relationship with them today?
No, I didn't speak to anybody at Zuffa. I only communicate with my management and they talk to them. If you ask me what the state of our relationship is, I think nothing has changed. It would be silly to think that they don't understand my decision.

How badly injured is your toe? When can you resume training?
It's not that bad, otherwise I would have canceled [the Silva fight] because of that injury alone. It's more that my body isn't pain-free, there are minor injuries but they prevent you from training 100 percent. If you have just four-to-six weeks, and you have those minor things, then you are jeopardizing your training. I have started my training recently, and on August 1, I will have a training camp.

When do you think you will fight for Strikeforce again?
I don't know.

Is there a chance that you will fight for someone else before fighting for Strikeforce again?
I hope so. I like to be active, and like I told you, I will be ready according to the first date we agreed with Strikeforce and that is in October.

respect
20-07-2011, 23:18
Thanks man.
Zo nu hoort iedereen het vanuit zijn kant 1000 % achter onze champ.Wel jammer keek er echt naar uit.

Mauro
20-07-2011, 23:20
Thanks man.
Zo nu hoort iedereen het vanuit zijn kant 1000 % achter onze champ.Wel jammer keek er echt naar uit.

LJ Silver
20-07-2011, 23:44
Hmm, dus hij gaat zoiezo op 1 augustus beginnen aan zijn trainingskamp. Ook zonder bekende tegenstander of sport (mma, k1 of boksen)...

Kalikula
20-07-2011, 23:48
Zonde van de tijd!

justsomeone
20-07-2011, 23:50
Hmm, dus hij gaat zoiezo op 1 augustus beginnen aan zijn trainingskamp. Ook zonder bekende tegenstander of sport (mma, k1 of boksen)...

Ik denk dat Alistair allang weet dat hij in oktober voor de K1 vecht

Challenger
21-07-2011, 01:05
ik keek er echt naar uit

remco pardoel
21-07-2011, 01:38
Ik had de partij graag gezien...
Respect voor Overeem dat hij de juiste principes toont en zich niet laat dirigeren door Dana White

Leventdepevent
21-07-2011, 02:37
ik keek er echt naar uit
ik ook

redjuh
21-07-2011, 03:39

x3

Asura
21-07-2011, 03:50
Respect voor Overeem dat hij de juiste principes toont en zich niet laat dirigeren door Dana White

x2

e-type
21-07-2011, 07:05

x3

hij weet dat ie meerdere ijzers in het vuur heeft (K1, boksen :twak:)... Doet ie goed, hij's inmiddels een veelbesproken vechter, commercieel interessant en ze zullen 'm niet zomaar links laten liggen.
'k Heb het idee dat Overeem er wel eens beter uit zou kunnen komen.

Maar k*t natuurlijk dat het gevecht niet doorgaat....het toernooi is nu wel een beetje z'n glans kwijt.

Fish
21-07-2011, 10:07
jammer dat overeem eruit is.

Gaat Batnett wel op 10 sept vechten? Die heeft wel genoeg tijd?

XanaduNL
21-07-2011, 10:30
Kemal, het is denk ik makkelijker om ditsoort berichten in het bestaande topic te posten ;)

Kemal
21-07-2011, 10:40
Kemal, het is denk ik makkelijker om ditsoort berichten in het bestaande topic te posten ;)

Dat klopt, daar staat een link in naar deze thread, als er een grote thread van 72 paginas is, leest men er vaak overheen ;)

D1987
21-07-2011, 12:14
Champ? Vind hem eerder een Duitser die naar Argentinie vlucht

Biiyen
21-07-2011, 12:31
Jammer, dat hele toernooi is in ene keer geen fuck meer waard.

Mijn eerste reactie gisteren was in eerste instantie "wat een ezel, 3 maanden (gezien vanaf Werdum)" moet toch genoeg zijn. Maar inderdaad als ze je op voorhand zeggen dat je pas over 4-5 maanden hoeft te vechten en je gaat dan lekker op vakantie, feesten en vreten dan komt het wel heel erg ongelegen als je ineens nog maar 6 weken hebt.

Je zou bijna denken dat het een vuil spel is van Zuffa...

smike
21-07-2011, 13:40
Ik had echt heel erg uitgekeken naar deze partij...

Die kk zuffa en ufc, wat heb ik toch een schijthekel aan die criminele organisaties, laten die rednecks lekker elkaar met guns afschieten ofzo!

Virtus
21-07-2011, 15:21
Alistair Overeem is geen bitch van Dana White.

Juiste beslissing.

PinPoint
21-07-2011, 15:54
Dat vier weken voor een beginner te weinig is maar voor een getrainde man? Are you serious???

Vandaan
21-07-2011, 16:48
Dat vier weken voor een beginner te weinig is maar voor een getrainde man? Are you serious???

Je bent zelf geen wedstrijdvechter of wel? Anders zou je weten dat je op dat niveau, als elke wedstrijd beslissend is voor je carrière, 4 weken te weinig is. Helemaal als je nog kleine blessures hebt. Daarbij is het mentale stuk misschien nog wel het belangrijkst. En als hij het gevoel heeft dat 4 weken te kort is. Dan zal hij zijn hele voorbereiding twijfelen of hij wel genoeg tijd heeft om 100% fit te zijn. En die twijfel in je voorbereiding is dodelijk voor je voorbereiding. Dan gaat hij die wedstrijd dus niet tegemoet en in met 100% zelfvertrouwen en dat is doodzonde in deze fase voor zijn carrière. Dus ik snap zijn keuze heel goed.

MaTo
21-07-2011, 17:15

x4

rollermanskunk
21-07-2011, 20:21
Kiezen tussen de glans van een toernooi of je eigen carrière is niet zo moeilijk lijkt me.

Zuffa heeft overigens groot gelijk om strikt te zijn in het naleven van de datum en gewoon de regels te volgen (geblesseerd? dan ben je de Sjaak en komt er een replacement). Ik denk echter wel dat er meer speelt. UFC wil Overeem wel hebben maar wel volgens hun voorwaarden (niet vechten in een andere organisatie en geen gezeik met uitstel etc) . Overeem heeft meer ijzers in het vuur en gaat niet blind in de "Zuffa-fuik" . T.z.t. zullen de onderhandelingen wel weer worden opgestart ik denk dat er aan beide kanten voorlopig de kat uit de boom wordt gekeken (wordt de K-1 nog gereanimeerd?)

Vinand
21-07-2011, 23:18
Alistair Overeem is geen bitch van Dana White.

Juiste beslissing.

kijk dat vind ik eigenlijk ook als je het van deze perspectief bekijkt (ali's dus)
Maar er speelt heus wel meer achter...

inc
22-07-2011, 00:01
Hij is simpelweg gewoon een zzp-er... ik zou ook geen grote belangrijke klus aannemen als ik deze niet voor de volle 100% kan klaren. vooral als de stakes zo high zijn. groot gelijk! geen 1 vechter gaat 100% de ring/kooi in( vanwege de zware training) maar als je vooraf al kan inschatten dat je niet kan bieden wat je normaliter zou doen kan ik de beslissing maar al te goed begrijpen.

The Bulldog
27-07-2011, 18:04
Allistair....ik vraag me iets af....heeft je mental state hier ook mee te maken?

Ik kan me voorstellen dat als je werdum KO had geslagen.... en op een high zat...je wel de klus had aangenomen....

Ik bedoel dit niet als negatief commentaar, maar serieus als vraag.... Ik denk dat je er wijs aandoet goed voorjezelf te zorgen ipv roofbouw die je wel eens eerder hebt gedaan als LHW.... dus geen verwijten.......Wel jammer dat het hele toernooi nu bullshit is geworden....twas een toernooi met 2 top konokkers die het UFC champ zwaar kunnen maken en die er nu allebij uitzijn...

justsomeone
27-07-2011, 18:11
ik denk dat bigfoot en barnett het menig ufc vechter moeilijk kunnen maken

The Bulldog
27-07-2011, 20:25
Barnett ja......bigfoot nee....