PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Alistair Overeem over UFC contract!

Slome
07-09-2011, 01:37
Interview: Alistair Overeem over UFC contract!

http://www.mmaplanet.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Alistair-Overeem-Dana-White.bmp

Ariel Helwani: How long has this been in the works for?
Alistair Overeem: It's been in the works for, I would say, the last couple of weeks. I know that the parties had found a common ground to work on, the talks were positive and slowly they came together in the last couple of weeks, which resulted in this deal.

How are you going to get paid?
I'm going to be paid like any other fighter.

So you will be paid and then you will pay your management team, Golden Glory?
Yeah, but that was already the case before. From Strikeforce, I basically got a check so ...

Are you still able to fight for K-1?
No, I will only be fighting in the UFC.

http://www.mmafight.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Alistair-Overeem.jpg

Was Brock the only fight offered to you for your debut?
I got offered to fight for the championship belt but that would mean I had to wait, because of course dos Santos is fighting Velasquez Nov. 12, it's going to be a great fight, then probably these guys are going to need some healing time, relaxing time, so November plus six months, that will probably be May. I'm a fighter, I like to be active, so then some names came rolling out and Brock Lesnar was among them and I think it's a dream match-up. The fans wants to see it; I want to see it. I'm very excited about this fight, so I immediately said yes.

Does that mean that the winner of this fight will fight for the title?
Yeah.

How many fights is the contract for?
Do you want to have my credit card pin number as well, Ariel? (laughs)

I didn't want to know how much it was for, just how many fights.
That was going to be your next question. Of course, I can't get into all the contract details unfortunately for you guys.

Is it your understanding that Lesnar is 100 percent healthy now?
I expect him to be 100 percent. I mean, he's a professional athlete for some period of time now. So he'll be 100 percent, I'm not worried about that. But basically, I'm just focusing on myself. I'm going to make sure I'm 100 percent, 120 percent, because Brock is a very strong, big guy, and I don't really worry about his shape.

http://prommanow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/overeem-1.jpg

Is this your first time at the UFC office in Las Vegas?
It is, actually. It is.

What do you think of it?
Well, it's big. It looks very professional. I had no idea what to think, actually. Lot of staff running around, they have a great kitchen, they are drinking a lot of UFC water. It's a very pleasant environment. The energy is good, a lot of enthusiastic people, everybody is motivated.

How does it feel to finally sign with the UFC after all these years?
Honestly, it feels like one of the biggest days in my life, a sort of life-changing thing. UFC is really big, they just did the FOX deal, you have all these possible match-ups happening right now, so for me, it's a very exciting time, the team is very excited, UFC people are very excited.

Bdn
07-09-2011, 03:02
Woooooooohooooooooooo, I'm excited too!!!

Dit is een fantastische tijd om deel uit te maken van de UFC familie. Nu dat ze de Fox deal hebben gemaakt is het waarschijnlijk dat de sport meer en meer mainstream word. Als Alistair een goede run maakt dan groeien alle nieuwe fans daarmee op!!

Mauro
07-09-2011, 07:18
DAmn! Wat vet dit !! Congratz Ali !!!!

MMAFAN-1122
07-09-2011, 07:19
Heel erg vet!!

KN
07-09-2011, 07:43
Ik mag hopen dat Lesnar niet op de grond gaat liggen smeken ;).

Are you still able to fight for K-1?
No, I will only be fighting in the UFC.
Was te verwachten, maar wel erg jammer.

ReZp
07-09-2011, 08:28
finally!!

Kemal
07-09-2011, 08:30
Gelukkig heel erg vet, congratz Alistair!!

Misschien opent dit de weg voor Einemo, Siyar, Dion en eventueel Marloes weer..

Ralph
07-09-2011, 08:35
Mooi werk! Gefeliciteerd, Alistair & GG. Ik heb eerder, ten tijde van dat gedoe met het cutten van alle GG-vechters bij UFC en Strikeforce, gezegd dat het management dit niet goed had aangepakt (zonder exact te weten wat er speelde). Maar eerlijk is eerlijk: ze hebben de situatie goed recht getrokken en er een goede deal aan overgehouden: puik werk. Nu hopen dat de rest van de GG-vechters ook kan profiteren van de hernieuwde relatie tussen Zuffa en GG!

Tony
07-09-2011, 08:37
mooi dit.. heel mooi.

Illest
07-09-2011, 09:32
eindelijk....hehe.....het moment dat al zijn fans zien hoe overrated hij wel niet is, komt dichterbij.....

sweet!

Biiyen
07-09-2011, 09:45
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSS wat een heerliojk bericht! Nu is mijn werkdag ineens 200% beter!!! Gefeliciteerd ALISTAIR!!!! Kick some Lesnar Ass!!!

Naj85
07-09-2011, 09:56
Of misschien voor de haters, hoe onderschat hij wordt
Wel een vet contract! Veel beter dan Strikeforce of voor kleine organisaties vechten
eindelijk....hehe.....het moment dat al zijn fans zien hoe overrated hij wel niet is, komt dichterbij.....

sweet!

Mr 1 Leg
07-09-2011, 10:02
x2 dit is top

Remco
07-09-2011, 10:05
Heerlijk nieuws! Heerlijke eerste partij!

K-1 heeft ie toch al op zak en haar toekomst is onzeker. Daarbij: Alistair verklaart zichzelf een MMA-vechter, dus het was in feite toch al een excursie voor hem. Nu zit hij waar hij hoort. Als ie Brock pakt mag ie de titel afpakken. Een eventuele Strikeforce toernooiwinnaar (ik vermoed dat de finale nooit gaat plaatsvinden - mogelijk als losse partij binnen de UFC) komt zo ook vanzelf achter hem aanlopen. Dit is de route naar de top van de berg, een betere ook dan het winnen van het Strikeforce toernooi.

Nu hopen dat Alistair op 30 december alles op alles zet en bewijst dat hij ook in de UFC met de heavies kan meedraaien!