PDA

View Full Version : BJ Penn: The UFC forced me to say things about Nick Diaz

Slome
14-09-2011, 11:20
BJ Penn: The UFC forced me to say things about Nick Diaz

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1901672/GYI0062810247.jpg

f you're a traditional mixed martial arts fan who is none too keen on pro wrestling style antics or manufactured drama, you might not like the sound of this.

That's because B.J. Penn revealed in a recent video blog that UFC interviewers, who were re-filming the scenes for the "Countdown to UFC 137" special, told him to say specific things about his opponent on Oct. 29 in Las Vegas, Nick Diaz.

Here's the dirt:

"They had to come back to film the Nick Diaz countdown. One thing that was a trip about that whole thing was that, I got a lot of respect for Diaz, I've trained with him, that whole thing... they forced me to say, at the end of the whole thing, they forced me to say... 'You gotta say Nick Diaz's name now, you gotta say his name.' And I was like, 'What?' They were like, 'Say you're going to beat Nick Diaz. Say you're going to beat Nick Diaz.' And I said, 'I'm going to beat Nick Diaz.' I wish ... I would have said my hand is going to be raised; at UFC 137 my hand is going to be raised. I don't know if they're going to come back and try to show Nick Diaz that, I don't know what's going on with that."
And the plot, which is already convoluted enough, thickens.

Penn is only set to square off against Diaz because of the troubled Stockton slugger's inability to fulfill his promotional duties, namely showing up at two separate pre-fight press conferences.

His punishment was removal from his originally scheduled title shot against Georges St. Pierre, which was quickly scooped up by Carlos Condit, who had been booked to get busy with Penn on the same night. UFC officials completed the switch-a-roo by simply inserting Diaz against Penn, something neither man particularly wanted.

"The Prodigy" expounds on this by giving his thoughts on the situation and explaining how he actually feels bad for his opponent. Why? Because he knows all too well what it's like to be painted as the bad guy by crafty UFC editing. I'll let him take it from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MXmLZGbmE8o

Pahlavan
14-09-2011, 11:56
was dana niet iemand die altijd zei van "we never tell fighters what to say or how to act" etc etc...
wel lelijk dit

basblue
14-09-2011, 12:24
Ik denk niet dat Dana achter de camera stond bij het filmen van de countdown. En natuurlijk willen mensen een promo zo aantrekkelijk mogelijk maken. Een uitspraak als "I'm going to beat Nick Diaz" past daar best bij. Het is toch geen trashtalk of zo? Beetje overdreven dit verhaal van Penn...

Mule-Kick
14-09-2011, 12:44
Hmmm dat je je tegenstander gaat verslaan is niet zo'n rare uitspraak lijkt me. Wel begrijpelijk dat ze ter promotie een beetje aansturen op zulk soort statements maar raar dat ze iemand er echt toe dwingen.

blackadder
14-09-2011, 14:14
was dana niet iemand die altijd zei van "we never tell fighters what to say or how to act" etc etc...
wel lelijk dit
En jij gelooft hem? lol

Biiyen
14-09-2011, 16:33
Denk dat UFC 137 wel eens kan gaan tegenvallen... de main event zijn twee worstelaars en de co-main event zijn 2 gasten die eigenlijk helemaal niet tegen elkaar willen vechten.

The Company
14-09-2011, 17:04
Denk dat UFC 137 wel eens kan gaan tegenvallen... de main event zijn twee worstelaars en de co-main event zijn 2 gasten die eigenlijk helemaal niet tegen elkaar willen vechten.

Nog nooit een saai Diaz gevecht gezien dus dat komt wel goed.

Pahlavan
14-09-2011, 18:07
En jij gelooft hem? lol

not really nee

Petrosyan188
14-09-2011, 18:31
Nog nooit een saai Diaz gevecht gezien dus dat komt wel goed.

dit

D1987
14-09-2011, 18:32
BJ Penn is bang voor Nick Diaz

Ronald
14-09-2011, 19:02
"They forced me to say..." Ik vraag me af wat ze precies gedaan hebben dan. Pistool op z'n hoofd gezet? Gemarteld? Met ontslag gedreigd? Bedreiging aan het adres van zijn familie? Kom op zeg. Het zou 'm sieren als hij zelf verantwoordelijkheid neemt voor wat hij zegt.

D1987
14-09-2011, 19:11
BJ Penn is bang voor klapjes!

punch
14-09-2011, 19:15
Helaas voor Penn maar ik denk dat ie te langzaam is geworden om Diaz in de stand up partij te geven

Mastenbroek
14-09-2011, 19:23
Wordt die countdown niet op spike uitgezonden? Mss zit spike erachter voor betere kijkcijfers..

Kemal
14-09-2011, 19:58
"They forced me to say..." Ik vraag me af wat ze precies gedaan hebben dan. Pistool op z'n hoofd gezet? Gemarteld? Met ontslag gedreigd? Bedreiging aan het adres van zijn familie? Kom op zeg. Het zou 'm sieren als hij zelf verantwoordelijkheid neemt voor wat hij zegt.

Wuahah, zo is het ja, vind het allemaal wel erg vreemd op deze manier..