PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Yvel: "This Will Be the Best Gilbert Yvel That People Have Ever Seen"

MMA Fan
28-09-2011, 22:16
"copied from bleacher report" : Gilbert Yvel: | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/868608-gilbert-yvel-this-will-be-the-best-gilbert-yvel-that-people-have-ever-seen)

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/374/663/gilbert3_original_crop_340x234.jpg?1317170692

Gilbert Yvel: "This Will Be the Best Gilbert Yvel That People Have Ever Seen"

To be certain, Gilbert Yvel, a mixed martial artist with more than 50 professional matches on his resume, isn’t the type of man to back down from a fight.

While Yvel has made a living off the fight game for more than a decade, the former UFC heavyweight contender insists that he has been a fighter since well before he ever entered a ring.

“I got into a lot of fights in my younger years,” Yvel said with a laugh. “I realized that I was born to fight when I was in my mama’s belly—I was boxing and kicking [laughs]. When I walked out of there, I was fighting the nurses—I was fighting everybody. I was born to fight.”

Some 15 years ago, Yvel discovered mixed martial arts and, since that fateful day, is yet to look back.

Since making his professional debut in early-1997, Yvel has registered 36 professional victories—including wins over Semmy Schilt, Gary Goodridge, Cheick Kongo, and Pedro Rizzo—and is regarded by many as one of the most exciting heavyweights in the sport.

After being signed by the UFC in late-2009, Yvel subsequently lost his first three—and at this point his only three—matches in the Octagon, a fact that doesn’t sit well with “The Hurricane.”

“Everyone loses, but losses are very tough to deal with in this sport,” Yvel said. “I hate to lose—I seriously hate to lose. I wasn’t made to lose, so I can’t believe that I lost three in a row.”

After his most recent match—a first-round loss to Jon Madsen at UFC 121—Yvel, citing personal reasons he prefers not to discuss, took a brief hiatus from professional competition. It didn’t take too long, however, for Yvel to return to the gym.

“I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life. I didn’t really do anything during my time off from the sport,” Yvel said with a laugh. “I sat on the couch playing video games and watching movies until I got the urge to go to the gym again.”

“I was done with it for a moment. It’s hard to explain, but fighting is my life. I started to itch, again. I can’t sit on the couch all day—I mean, it’s pretty good to sit on the couch all day—but I just love going into the gym, sparring, and beating people up. That’s what I love. I realized that fighting is what I want to do,” Yvel said. “Fighting is what I do. This is my passion and I love it.”

Since returning to his academy, Yvel’s passion for mixed martial arts has been re-ignited and, after dropping over 30 pounds from his heavyweight-frame, is eyeing a run as a light-heavyweight.

“I’ve done a lot of cardio, I’m eating healthy. I’m down to 230. In two weeks I’ll be down to 220 and then I hope to get to 215 and, from there, cut down to 205 and destroy all of the light-heavyweights,” Yvel said. “I’m very excited to get back to action.”

Moving forward, Yvel has his sights set on making a serious run in the UFC’s light-heavyweight division—a prospect that only excites the 35 year old mixed martial artist.

“This will be the best Gilbert Yvel that people have ever seen,” said Yvel, who claimed he was tentatively scheduled to fight a yet-to-be-determined opponent in early-December. “I’ve got a few more good years in me and I want to go out with a bang. I want to be back in the UFC. I want the opportunity to show the world what’s up.”

“A UFC championship would be the best thing ever,” Yvel said. “I would cry—I would definitely shed a lot of tears. I would cry like a little girl. I watch these guys on TV and they cry when they win and I’m like, ‘C’mon, man,’ but I would cry like a little baby.”

Regardless of what he accomplishes in the sport—Yvel half-joked that he would be more than happy with earning fifty million dollars in mixed martial arts pay days—the fact that “The Hurricane” is back in the game at all is enough to satisfy the former Pride FC heavyweight at this point.

“I can’t look back on my career in five or 10 years and think that I didn’t give it everything that I had. I can still do way more,” Yvel said from his home in Las Vegas, Nevada. “If I wasn’t going to come back to the sport, I would always be wondering, ‘What if I did that?’ or ‘What if I did this?’ I need to do it right now and then in five or 10 years look back on my career and smile and be happy.”

“I’m happy now.”

MMA Fan
28-09-2011, 22:21
Hij ziet er erg afgetraind uit........top

RtoDeep
28-09-2011, 22:53
tering wat ziet hij er goed uit!!!!

en hij moet blijkbaar nog een stuk verder zakken... ik ben benieuwd!!!

Vinand
28-09-2011, 22:58
Yvel in oldschool topvorm zou gehakt maken van jones. Let maar op ;)

arielhelwani
28-09-2011, 23:05
Ivel ripped! ben benieuwd!

YoMarK
28-09-2011, 23:14
Maar staat er ook echt een partij gepland dan? Yvel is gecut door de UFC, dus zal op z'n minst een keer of 3 moeten winnen wil bij weer in de picture komen daar(en daarmee heeft ie het geluk dat ie meestal wel voor spektakel zorgt).

Marchant
29-09-2011, 00:46
ben echt benieuwd

ChingChong
29-09-2011, 00:54
Regardless of what he accomplishes in the sport—Yvel half-joked that he would be more than happy with earning fifty million dollars in mixed martial arts pay days—the fact that “The Hurricane” is back in the game at all is enough to satisfy the former Pride FC heavyweight at this point.

Jsus, 50 mil....

Is dit trouwens een recente foto?

maartenjackie
29-09-2011, 05:22
Yvel via omo plata

Ralph
29-09-2011, 11:12
Ik hoop echt dat hij de kans krijgt! Kak dat die promotor uit Canada zomaar verdween en hij daar niet kon knokken... Hij ziet er in ieder geval goed in vorm uit.

Durfal
29-09-2011, 11:40
Een lichter Gilbert is een meer explosievere Gilbert en daar lag altijd zn kracht,dus ben benieuwd.

Mule-Kick
29-09-2011, 11:46
Ben benieuwd. Zou wel cool zijn op LHW, maar goed daar hebben ze ook goede worstelaars dus..

FOCUS
29-09-2011, 11:59
als ik iemand wil zien winnen, is het wel Yvel
Dat was altijd een van mn grote voorbeelden
natural born killer
WAR!

ziet er goed afgetraind uit trouwens, hopelijk krijgt ie weer die explosieve aggressiviteit die altijd garant stond voor een search and destroy mentaliteit

MrLoverrr
29-09-2011, 12:05
HIJ ZIET ER ZEKER AFGETRAIND UIT!!!! Ik hoop dat hij nog een kans krijgt bij de UFC , maar dan moet hij wel aan zijn take-down defense werken!!!

Kemal
29-09-2011, 12:07
Ziet er zekers goed uit, ben erg benieuwd!

LJ Silver
29-09-2011, 13:20
Yvel heeft natuurlijk altijd een punchers chance, maar laten we even onze oranje/roze bril afzetten en naar de feiten kijken.

De ‘grote’ namen waar hij van heeft gewonnen;
Goodridge, Kongo, Rizzo en Schilt. (Heel eerlijk gezegd geen echte contenders.)

De grote namen waar hij van heeft verloren;
Henderson, Belfort, Fujita, Vovchanchyn, Horn, Minowa, Barnett, JDS.

Knockout power en ‘never say die’ mentaliteit heeft ie zeker maar ik geloof niet dat hij over de tools beschikt om het de toppers lastig te maken.

lopez86
29-09-2011, 13:35
Yvel heeft natuurlijk altijd een punchers chance, maar laten we even onze oranje/roze bril afzetten en naar de feiten kijken.

De grote namen waar hij van heeft verloren;
Henderson, Belfort, Fujita, Vovchanchyn, Horn, Minowa, Barnett, JDS.

Knockout power en ‘never say die’ mentaliteit heeft ie zeker maar ik geloof niet dat hij over de tools beschikt om het de toppers lastig te maken.

Dit ^

"This Will Be the Best Gilbert Yvel That People Have Ever Seen" leuke quote maar hij heeft 3 partijen de kans gehad om het waar te maken.
Das al meer dan de meesten krijgen, kom je echt te laat mee Gilbert.

tnk2k
29-09-2011, 14:21

bob schreiber tot 2 maaltoe, gilbert 'dirty' yvel z'n knietjes zijn lethal

tnk2k
29-09-2011, 14:22
bob schreiber tot 2 maaltoe, gilbert 'dirty' yvel z'n knietjes zijn lethal

joop kasteel heeft die ook nog van gewonnen trouwens

LJ Silver
29-09-2011, 14:33
joop kasteel heeft die ook nog van gewonnen trouwens

Ja okay, maar dat was nog MMA v1.0

Leventdepevent
29-09-2011, 14:33
Dit ^

"This Will Be the Best Gilbert Yvel That People Have Ever Seen" leuke quote maar hij heeft 3 partijen de kans gehad om het waar te maken.
Das al meer dan de meesten krijgen, kom je echt te laat mee Gilbert.

x2

redjuh
29-09-2011, 16:28
Damn ik dacht dat het wel tijd was voor hem om es een career change te overwegen, maar het idee dat yvel op 93 kilo kan vechten is nooit bij mij opgekomen. lijkt mij wel heel bruut!. wellicht dat de ufc hem nog 1 kans wil geven als ie 1 pot voor peanuts knokt

faro
29-09-2011, 17:00
Weet iemand wanneer we hem weer te zien krijgen dan ?

MMA Fan
29-09-2011, 23:42
WAR GILBERT !!!!!!!

redjuh
30-09-2011, 08:51
WAR GILBERT !!!!!!!

x2

MMA Fan
30-09-2011, 21:48
Hoop dat ie snel een partij krijgt en dan laat zien wat ie allemaal kan als 205 pounder.......

TOON
01-10-2011, 10:58
wow! zo afgetraind hebben we hem in jaren niet meer gezien!
zal altijd fan blijven van Yvel! is toch een van die oldskoolgasten waardoor ik MMA ben gaan volgen!!

hoop voor hem dat het gaat werken op LHW!