PDA

View Full Version : UFC Heavyweight titel: blessure gevoelig...

Slome
15-11-2011, 20:11
UFC Heavyweight Title Curse Strikes Sixth Victim in Three Years; Dos Santos Sidelined With Torn Meniscus

http://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/BELT.jpg

Considering that every one of the six men who has worn it since this day three years ago has fallen to illness or injury, the UFC heavyweight belt could soon become the least desired trophy in sports.

The latest victim of the ill-fated gilded strap is Junior dos Santos, who went into his UFC on Fox heavyweight title bout with Cain Velasquez with a torn meniscus which will probably require surgery and an extended recovery time, making his first title defense unlikely until the second half of 2012.

Somebody needs to bring the belt to a priest and have him perform an exorcism on it. Otherwise, we may only see one heavyweight title bout per year.

Here’s the breakdown of the unlucky timeline of the cursed hunk of leather and gold for those of you who aren’t buying what we’re selling:

• Brock Lesnar beat Randy Couture at UFC 91 on November 15, 2008 via second-round TKO and was to defend his belt against recently-crowned interim champ Frank Mir at UFC 98, but the fight had to be pushed to UFC 100 after Mir suffered a knee injury in training.

• Mir won the interim belt from former title holder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92 in December 2008 and it was later revealed that “Big Nog” fought with a severe staph infection.

• Minotauro has since pulled out of a UFC 108 bout against Cain Velasquez due to another bout of staph and a Mir rematch at UFC 119 because he underwent double knee surgery.

• Shortly after successfully defending his strap for the first time against Mir in July 2009, Lesnar was diagnosed with diverticulitis and was put on the DL for nearly a year.

• Shane Carwin took the vacant interim title against Mir in March 2010 at UFC 111 and has been sidelined with a back injury since his UFC 131 decision loss to Junior dos Santos.

• Cain Velasquez made short work of Lesnar in Brock’s third title defense in his two-year championship reign at UFC 121 in October 2010 and was unable to defend his title for 13 months.

• Junior dos Santos spoiled Velasquez’s first title defense in just over one minute. Following the bout he revealed that he fought with a torn meniscus and will likely require surgery, likely forcing him out of action for anywhere between five to eight months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUFI946ppSE

Kemal
15-11-2011, 20:18
gaat goed met de hw divisie bij UFC.. niet te hopen dat we maar 1 titelgevecht op hw niveau zien in een jaar.. wel een mooi filmpje!!

blackadder
15-11-2011, 20:26
Hahaha...wat een verrassing. Not.

basblue
15-11-2011, 21:43
Pfff, hoe lang ligt JDS eruit? Als hij maar tijdig hersteld is om tegen Overeem te vechten voor de belt...

blackadder
15-11-2011, 21:47
Pfff, hoe lang ligt JDS eruit? Als hij maar tijdig hersteld is om tegen Overeem te vechten voor de belt...
Maakt niet uit hoe lang die eruit ligt. Het wordt toch niet vroeger dan na de zomer.

wrestler_nl
15-11-2011, 22:26
Maakt niet uit hoe lang die eruit ligt. Het wordt toch niet vroeger dan na de zomer.

Volgens de dokter van JDS zou hij er maar 1 maand uitliggen, dus hij kan waarschijnlijk eind december gewoon trainen.

Naj85
16-11-2011, 00:46
roy nelson 6'4?
cain 6'2
lengtes kloppen niet lijkt me

Lennie
16-11-2011, 01:31
extra bevestiging

Cain Velasquez did not look himself during his brief fight with Junior Dos Santos. Did he come back from injury too soon? – Anonymous

I agree that we did not see Cain Velasquez at his best at Saturday's UFC on FOX event. He appeared slower, a bit tentative, less aggressive and less explosive.

I state these observations in no attempt to disparage Velasquez or to diminish the virtuoso performance of the new UFC heavyweight champion, Junior Dos Santos. Much respect to anyone who can battle in that octagon. Lord knows that I don't have the ability (or courage) to do it.

Am I surprised in what I saw? No, not at all.

The following comments will not be supported with randomized, double-blinded clinical studies but rather the privilege to observe and work with elite athletes during all phases of good health, injury, surgery and rehab over the past 20 years.

I was asked many times, "Who did I think would win the fight?"

My answer was simple. I would have picked Velasquez if it were not for the more-than-a-yearlong layoff and the fact that this would be his first fight since major shoulder surgery. With that in mind and the considerable skill set of Dos Santos, I favored JDS.

Many months ago, I wrote an article after Velasquez announced that he required shoulder surgery that would result in a prolonged absence from the octagon. I tried to make several key points:
Shoulder injuries in contact/combat athletes of this size (heavyweight and light heavyweight) can be a bigger deal than what is being commonly reported.
Performance for contact/combat athletes at the highest levels is mostly mental, and serious injuries have a funny way of subconsciously getting into an athlete's head.
There are significant benefits of a tune-up fight prior to championship-level competition.
Sparring (in training camp) despite everyone's best efforts is not even close to the real thing.
Prolonged surgical layoffs can diminish athleticism.
The response was the usual, "WTF does he know? I heard he isn't even a real doctor." Velasquez has been harshly criticized for not shooting for the takedown and instead taking his chances standing up at UFC on FOX. I believe that these opinions undervalue the effects of major shoulder surgery on a wrestler. Wrestling takes a phenomenal amount or core and upper-body (shoulder) strength. If an MMA athlete with a wrestling style has any conscious or subconscious questions regarding the integrity of his surgically repaired shoulder, a takedown becomes a challenge. The little amount of hesitation can be the difference between slamming your opponent and ending up in a dominant position – or eating a vicious knee, uppercut or (at best) wasting a great deal of energy battling a good sprawl.

(Basic rule: If you think about taking a shot for a leg, it's already too late.)

A long post-surgical layoff with healing and then rehabbing is painful, no fun and eroding to one's timing, speed, quickness, explosiveness and confidence – all characteristics that we commonly lump into the term "athleticism."

Practice/sparring by definition is not the real thing. No one (at least not the sparring partner) is going full speed out of fear of injury to the "champ." Unfortunately, if you haven't seen fight-night conditions in more than a year, it is easy to be slightly overwhelmed with the "speed of the game" and the ferocity of full contact. For these and many other reasons, tune-up fights are extremely important to regain peak performance.

Football coaches always ask the team orthopedic surgeon, "How long until my star running back is 100 percent?" The answer is, "Let me see him get cracked a few times in a real game, and I'll let you know." Cutting and changing direction on an ACL reconstruction is relatively easy until full-speed, game-time contact is added.

In combat sports, the fighter's manager will ask, "When will my fighter be ready?" The answer? "Let me see him/her get knocked down."

Once he gets knocked down at full speed with bad intentions and bounce right back up, they're back!

Also, a final thought: The next time Cain Velasquez fights for the UFC championship, he will win. Once he regains his athleticism, he has too much talent to deny for long.

bron: Dr. Johnny Benjamin, Ask the Fight Doc:Did UFC's Cain Velasqeuz come back too soon from injury?

Ask the Fight Doc: Did UFC's Cain Velasquez come back too soon from injury? | MMAjunkie.com
(http://mmajunkie.com/news/26081/ask-the-fight-doc-did-ufcs-cain-velasquez-come-back-too-soon-from-injury.mma)

blackadder
16-11-2011, 01:38
Practice/sparring by definition is not the real thing. No one (at least not the sparring partner) is going full speed out of fear of injury to the "champ."
Dat is in NL dan toch anders.

Gilaiir
16-11-2011, 13:32
Randy is gewoon een boze tovenaar en heeft toen de belt betovert. Ik heb hier eerder van gehoord, om de betovering te verbreken moet je het hoofd van de tovenaar afhakken en dan het hoofd verbranden op het hoogste punt van de Mount Everest.

Pansier
16-11-2011, 14:22
Randy is gewoon een boze tovenaar en heeft toen de belt betovert. Ik heb hier eerder van gehoord, om de betovering te verbreken moet je het hoofd van de tovenaar afhakken en dan het hoofd verbranden op het hoogste punt van de Mount Everest.

Bron?

Sjaak
16-11-2011, 14:31
Ja heel erg raar dat het zo blessure gevoelig is, snap er niks van

superfreak
16-11-2011, 14:52
Dat is in NL dan toch anders.

Jammer genoeg wel. Hoe vaak ik me wel niet irriteer aan dat soort mensen. Geloof me van ko gaan tijdens je training leer je niets namelijk. Van een blessure al even min.
Als je een jab krijgt op 60% op je kin om aan te geven dat je tijdens een bepaalde handeling een go to beweging hebt dan leer ik daar veel meer van dan dat iemand gelijk me kin naar een volgende gemeente slaat. Als ik dan eenmaal wakker wordt weet ik toch niets meer van de secondes ervoor en dan heb ik dus ook niets geleerd.

blackadder
16-11-2011, 15:21
Jammer genoeg wel. Hoe vaak ik me wel niet irriteer aan dat soort mensen. Geloof me van ko gaan tijdens je training leer je niets namelijk. Van een blessure al even min.
Als je een jab krijgt op 60% op je kin om aan te geven dat je tijdens een bepaalde handeling een go to beweging hebt dan leer ik daar veel meer van dan dat iemand gelijk me kin naar een volgende gemeente slaat. Als ik dan eenmaal wakker wordt weet ik toch niets meer van de secondes ervoor en dan heb ik dus ook niets geleerd.
Je leert dat je volgende keer je kin beter indekt.;)
Ik heb ook vaak genoeg op 'Chakuriki' manier getraind. Erg aangenaam is het niet maar je wordt er wel scherp van.

micha
16-11-2011, 16:59
moeten ze op woensdag een keer meedoen op gehaktdag bij GG breda

Gilaiir
17-11-2011, 13:31
Bij de lidl hebben ze nu verse rookworsten, zijn heerlijk, mocht je in gehakt even geen trek meer hebben.

Denk dat ik dalijk na school ens langs de lidl loop.