PDA

View Full Version : Rashad Evans: I'd drop to 185 lbs. to fight Anderson Silva

Soulbringer320
28-06-2012, 02:44
http://www.fightcove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ufc133_pc_019_evans-300x210.jpg

Former UFC light heavyweight champion “Suga” Rashad Evans has long been considered one of the smaller 205-pounders in the UFC. However, due to Evans’ 11-2-1 record in the weight class, which includes a brief stint as champion, it has never been deemed necessary for the 32-year-old to switch weight classes, especially considering he won the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show as a heavyweight.After failing to regain the championship from Jon Jones in his most recent bout, a lot of fans pressed Evans about drop down to middleweight for a fresh start. While Evans fighting at 185-pounds is certainly an intriguing prospect, the Florida-based fighter told Dan “The Wolfman” Theodore of ProMMANow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU6rnDbud9Y&feature=plcp) that he has not intentions of making the drop.

“I thought about (moving to middleweight), then I thought about how hard that weight cut is. I used to wrestle at 174 in college, I would cut so much weight on a continuous basis and I was like, ‘You know what? If I ever have to compete again, I’m not cutting weight like that’. Because what ends up happening is, the philosophy is, ‘Oh well you go down to a lower weight and you’ll be stronger’. Not necessarily. Some people go down to a lower weight and they’re actually weaker, and I felt like when I was the best athlete I could be in college wrestling, is when I wrestled to my natural weight. So that’s what I try to do in fighting, I try to compete at my natural weight. I may go to 185 and not be the same fighter because I’m maybe cutting too much weight.”

Evans’ explanation for staying at light heavyweight is logical. After all, he knows his body better than anyone else and if he thinks cutting the extra 20-pounds down to middleweight wouldn’t benefit his performance, who are we to say he’s wrong? Although he sounds set on continuing to fight in the division where he has competed in all but one UFC bout at, Evans did say there is one fight that would convince him to make the treacherous weight-cut down to 185-pounds. Find out who that is by reading the quote below.

“Anderson (Silva) is somebody I would love to fight because when it’s all said and done, whether you win or lose, to compete against the best in the sport is really what it’s all about. You know, if I can walk away from my career and say I competed against some of the best in the sport in my time and era, then I can wrap up and say I had a really great career. So if the opportunity comes, and that fight happens, yeah I would drop to 185 to fight.”

Anderson Silva vs. Rashad Evans would be a huge money-fight for both men. It sounds mouthwatering in theory, but who would take the fight should it become a reality? Share your prediction in the comments section below.

Diz
28-06-2012, 08:18
De man zal wel van pijn houden ;)

ShoNuff
28-06-2012, 09:17
Sweeet!! :box:
Rashad bij de middleweights lijkt me sowieso tof, ook daar zijn hele leuke matchups te bedenken..