PDA

View Full Version : UFC on Fuel 4: Munoz vs Weidman | Results **Spoiler**

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:11
Main Card
Chris Weidman def. Mark Munoz via second-round TKO
James Te Huna def. Joey Beltran via unanimous decision
Aaron Simpson def. Kenny Robertson via unanimous decision
Francis Carmont def. Karlos Vemola via submission (rear-naked choke)
T.J. Dillashaw def. Vaughan Lee via submission (rear-naked choke)
Rafael dos Anjos def. Anthony Njokuani via unanimous decision

Undercard
Alex Caceres def. Damacio Page via submission (triangle)
Chris Cariaso def. Josh Ferguson via unanimous decision
Andrew Craig def. Rafael Natal via second-round KO
Marcelo Guimaraes def. Dan Stittgen via split decision
Raphael Assuncao def. Issei Tamura via second-round TKO

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:13
UFC on FUEL 4 Bonuses:

Chris Weidman earned the biggest win of his career at UFC on FUEL 4, knocking out Mark Munoz in the main event of the show.

As a result of his win, Weidman could possibly earn a middleweight title shot against champion Anderson Silva, but if not, he can soothe himself with a nice check. For his efforts, he earned the Knockout of the Night designation, an award that carries with it a $40,000 bonus.
Weidman was one of four winners from the event, which took place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California.

"I want Anderson Silva," Weidman said after the fight. "Every time I've had a full training camp, I've gotten a finish. Every single time. Give me a full training camp, and I'd love a shot at the man, Anderson Silva. I really think I could do pretty good. So give me a shot, please."

We'll have to wait to see if his plea is answered, but he certainly carried the main event mantle in his first time in the role.

The Submission of the Night Award went to Alex Caceres, who scored a second-round triangle choke finish over Damacio Page after threatening him with it throughout the entire first round.

Meanwhile, light heavyweight sluggers James Te Huna and Joey Beltran earned the Fight of the Night award. The two went the three-round distance, with Te Huna out-landing Beltran en route to a unanimous decision.

Like Weidman, the other award winners all earned $40,000.

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:15
Rafael dos Anjos Defeats Anthony Njokuani

After four years in the UFC, Rafael dos Anjos is finally starting to build some momentum.

The 27-year-old lightweight from Rio de Janeiro scored his third win in his past four fights and sixth in his past eight by outclassing Anthony Njokuani on Wednesday night at UFC on Fuel TV 4 in San Jose, Calif. Dos Anjos won via unanimous decision, taking scores of 30-27, 30-27, 29-28.

Dos Anjos (17-6) managed to get the best of his taller foe in the standup and used his striking to set up repeat takedowns over and over the course of the fight. While he never came close to finishing the bout, Njokuani (15-7, 1 no-contest) had no answer for Dos Anjos' game plan.

Njokuani lacked the explosiveness he showed in racking up three straight knockout of the night bonuses in the WEC in 2009. He was overheard after the first round telling his corner that he injured his right hand.

Njokuani showed some fire early in the third round, but Dos Anjos asserted himself midway through and send his opponent to his fifth loss in his past eight fights.

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:16
T.J. Dillashaw Finishes Vaughan Lee

T.J. Dillashaw is just seven fights into his mixed martial arts career, but he's starting to look like a fighter who's finding his footing.

The Team Alpha Male competitor looked confident on Wednesday in aggressively pursuing and defeating British veteran Vaughan Lee. Dillashaw won via rear-naked choke at 2:33 of the first round at UFC on Fuel 4 in San Jose, Calif.

After an early feeling-out period in which Lee came out swinging, Dillashaw scored a big slam. Lee got back up, but couldn't quite shake off his opponent's pursuit. Dillashaw got the back of a standing Lee and, remaining in the standing position, managed to get his hooks in and apply the choke for the victory.

"I just took his back," said Dillashaw (6-1). "I was calm, I waiting for my openings. He's a super tough guy, I just waited for the right opportunity, I was patient."

Dillashaw has won both of his fights since losing to John Dodson in The Ultimate Fighter 14 finals. Lee dropped to 12-8-1.

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:17
Francis Carmont Submits Karlos Vemola

Montreal's famed Tristar Gym might be on the verge of producing another contender.
The home of UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre also boasts up-and-coming middleweight Francis Carmont. The latter made a statement on Wednesday night with an impressive win over tough Karlos Vemola at UFC on Fuel 4 in San Jose, Calif.

A back-and-forth first round featured several submission attempts by both fighters and some excellent chain grappling, but neither fighter was able to put their opponent away.

In the second round, Vemola impressively bulled his way through a Carmont front kick to the jaw, but it wasn't enough. A bit over a minute in, Carmont transitioned on the ground from a Kimura and crucifix to a rear-naked choke, forcing Vemola to tap at 1:39 of the round.

The win was Carmont's eighth in a row and improved him to 3-0 in the UFC. He left no doubt that he feels he's ready for a step up in competition in the 185-pound division.

"I want to fight the best in the division," said Carmont. "I know where I want to go, and I want to fight the top fighters in the division."

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:18
Aaron Simpson Outlasts Kenny Robertson

Aaron Simpson's welterweight debut was a success.
The wrestler out of Phoenix's Power Team MMA camp had mixed UFC results as a middleweight, but its so far, so good at 170 pounds.

Simpson grinded his way to a unanimous decision win over Kenny Robertson on Wednesday night at UFC on Fuel 4 in San Jose, Calif. The judges scored the bout 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28.

After a competitive and close first round, Simpson took over in round two, using his wrestling to stymie Robertson, who was a replacement for an injured Jon Fitch.

Simpson turned it on in round three and appeared close to finishing the fight in the closing seconds, but Robertson managed to hang on until the final horn.

The 37-year old Simpson improved to 12-3 and won for the fourth time in his past five fights.

"I gotta get used to it, gotta get used to these guys speed," Simpson said. "He's a scrappy guy, my hat's off to him. I'll be better. I gotta finish guys at this weight, that's what this business is built on."

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:19
James Te Huna Wins Slugfest Over Joey Beltran

The UFC on Fuel 4 light heavyweight matchup between James Te Huna and Joey Beltran was billed as a potential slugfest.That much was true. But the first two rounds mainly consisted of Te Huna doing the slugging and Beltran getting slugged.

Te Huna was the more technical and superior striker. And while Beltran, the brawler from San Diego, put in a spirited effort in the third round, it wasn't enough. Te Huna won via unanimous decision, taking scores of 30-26, 30-27, 20-27.

In the opening round, Te Huna scored the most significant strikes in a light heavyweight round in UFC history , landing 71.

Beltran, known as "The Mexicutioner" and also known for his grantie chin, managed to survive to the final horn, though he was nearly finished.

Te Huna also handily took the second round. In the third, Beltran, who was fighting at 205 pounds for the first time after a career spent as a heavyweight, gave it everything he had to give as Te Huna tired, but it wasn't enough. The fight ended with both fighters exchanging haymakers.

"He's very hard, I hit him with some really hard shots that just bounced off his head that I thought would knock him out." said Te Huna. The Australian improved to 15-5 in winning his third straight fight.

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:21
Chris Weidman Demolishes Mark Munoz

Heading into his UFC on Fuel 4 main event against Mark Munoz, Chris Weidman told anyone who would listen that his goal was to make it obvious that he's the fighter who should get a title shot against middleweight champion Anderson Silva.
Weidman might need some more time before he's ready for the world's best fighter. But he left no doubt on Wednesday night that he belongs on the short list of legitimate 185-pound contenders.

The Serra-Longo Fight Club competitor absolutely demolished Mark Munoz, scoring a TKO at 1:37 of the second round.

It was the fifth straight UFC win for the undefeated Weidman (9-0).

The finish came when Weidman perfectly timed a big Munoz overhand right and met him with a vicious short elbow which dropped Munoz. The strike opened opened a pouring faucet of a cut over Munoz's left eye. Weidman opened up with a series of punches on the ground before referee Josh Rosenthal finally came in and stopped it.

"I've just been playing around with some elbows." said Weidman. "I was playing with the elbows Jon Jones has given the blueprint on how to do it, so I just sort of followed him."

The finish followed a 10-8 first round in which Weidman immediately took down the former NCAA champion wrestler from Oklahoma State and dominated him for five minutes, scoring several near-submissions in the process.
After the bout, Weidman again said he wanted a crack at Silva.

"I want Anderson Silva," Weidman said. "Every time I've had a full training camp I've gotten a finish. I've want a chance at Anderson Silva."

Munoz (12-3), who hadn't fought since November due to a knee injury, tipped his hat to his opponent.

"He caught me with that elbow coming in, I was trying to throw that overhand right," he said. "That happens sometimes in MMA. He's a beast."

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faiL-uhEZ1Y&feature=player_detailpage

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bInZ3HvdiPA

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GFplgiqYW2s

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:24
Chris Weidman vs. Mark Munoz Fight Video Highlights (http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=8c934254-03f6-4522-a337-016f34ea4e1a&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:&from=sharepermalink)

Kemal
12-07-2012, 06:25
James Te Huna vs. Joey Beltran Fight Video Highlights (http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=3ae70f46-0d1e-4b85-ab90-fa5ed1d5f4b0&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:&from=sharepermalink)

The Company
12-07-2012, 10:35
Weidman is de eerste die Silva in de UFC gaat verslaan. Worstelen en goede BJJ, echt de slecht mogelijkste matchup voor Silva.

steftheboxer
12-07-2012, 11:46
Wow die elleboog van Weidman was vet, slechte stoppage van de ref.

Weet niet of Weidman een kans maakt tegen Silva, is toch echt wel een ander kaliber als Munoz.
Ik denk dat Silva met pensioen gaat zonder ooit verloren te hebben in de octagon..

superfreak
12-07-2012, 12:46
Inderdaad slechte stoppage. Waar zat hij op te wachten tot Munoz z'n kop eraf zou vallen. Jezus zeg!

Wordt moeilijk voor Weidman. In de stand up denk ik dat silva superieur is. Daarbij krijg je silva niet zo makkelijk naar de grond. Toch wel een partij die ik wil zien.

Chane
12-07-2012, 13:05
Goeie partij van Weidman... maar damn... wat een slechte stoppage zeg! :(
Heeft dit nog gevolgen voor Rosenthal?

Bromios
12-07-2012, 13:11
Zou bisping niet eerst een keer aan de beurt komen ?

amilster
12-07-2012, 15:23

volgens mij is dat idd de volgende, dacht dat Dana zoiets al meteen riep, na het slachten van Rosenthal vanwegde de stoppage

Diz
12-07-2012, 16:02
Die scheids kan beter even langs SpecSavers gaan denk ik...

Damn! Dat was wel errug laat zeg!

The Company
12-07-2012, 16:46

Bisping heeft zijn laatste partij verloren en hij heeft in heel zijn carrière nog nooit van een top 10 vechter gewonnen.

Dus nee.

Lionheart
12-07-2012, 18:25
Weidman is een topper, maar tegen uitkomen Anderson Silva is nog wel even iets te vroeg... Hij red het niet denk ik..

Al bij al, Weidman is een vechter met karakter en hij zal kunnen uitgroeien tot een hele grote.

Munoz is ook top, hij komt er wel..

Kemal
13-07-2012, 18:30
Ref Josh Rosenthal Acknowledges Late Stoppage in Mark Munoz TKO Loss

Referees are often the brunt of criticism for their split-second decisions, but rarely do they publicly voice any post-fight opinion on their own performances. Even rarer is the situation when one admits a mistake. Usually, they simply leave their work as its own argument, leaving us to form our own conclusions.

That makes what Josh Rosenthal did this week all the more respectable. Less than one day after refereeing the Chris Weidman vs. Mark Munoz main event at UFC on FUEL 4, Rosenthal admitted what many had said: that he let the fight go on too long, and let Munoz take too many unnecessary blows.
Just about a minute and a half into the second round, Weidman dropped Munoz with a standing elbow strike and then rode him to the mat where he unloaded with a barrage of 17 punches. The entire sequence from start to finish took only about eight seconds, but many felt Rosenthal could have stepped in much earlier to save Munoz from taking unanswered strikes. Count him among his own critics.

"I came home and I watched it, and I was kind of like you know, if I was sitting here, watching this on the couch, I probably would have been talking smack about myself," he said on SiriusXM's Tapout Radio show.
Rosenthal went on to say he was "slow on the trigger" and let the fight go on a few punches too long.

That mirrors the complaints about the stoppage that flooded in right upon the bout's conclusion. On the FUEL TV post-fight show, UFC president Dana White was clearly angered, asking, "How can you be standing like this, looking down at a guy getting hammered like that and not think the fight needs to be stopped?"

It's a question we all wondered at the time, and Rosenthal says it's a fair one. He noted that given the potential stakes involved in a bout between two top 10 contenders and all the time the fighters put into preparing, he tries to offer each man every opportunity to continue. And in that particular mind set, he elected to give Munoz a bit longer than normal to defend himself. In hindsight, he admitted, it was simply too long.

Rosenthal was memorably the referee when Dan Henderson and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua fought at UFC 139, a fight which won him acclaim for allowing it continue to the final horn despite dominant stretches by both men at various stages of the fight. So he does have first-hand experience watching fighters rebound from seemingly disastrous situations, but this time, he says, he waited a little too long in seeing if the same kind of situation materialized. And in a refreshing move, he's standing up to take responsibility for it.

"I always say accountability is a huge part of the sport, and you are accountable for your actions," he said. "I feel like I was just a little slow on the trigger [Wednesday]. I don't want to see guys take unnecessary punishment. It's a rough sport. Everyone knows what they sign in for, but it's a millisecond-basis game. You're making choices right there on the spot, and in the heat of the moment, I felt like I was seeing some stuff. In hindsight, I have to step my game up and make sure I'm on point for the next guys."

Kemal
13-07-2012, 21:12
UFC on FUEL 4 Salaries: Aaron Simpson Leads Payroll with $46,000

Welterweight veteran Aaron Simpson led the disclosed payroll for UFC on FUEL 4, pocketing $46,000 for his main event victory over Kenny Robertson ($8,000), according to figures released by the California State Athletic Commission.
Middleweight headliners Chris Weidman and Mark Munoz were not far behind, as Weidman took home a purse of $44,000 for his stunning second-round TKO of Munoz, who collected $42,000 in the loss.

Other notable salaries include Rafael dos Anjos, Raphael Assuncao, and James Te Huna. Dos Anjos and Assuncao banked $40,000 and $34,000, respectively, for their undercard wins, while Te Huna earned $28,000 for his co-main event victory over Joey Beltran ($15,000).

UFC on FUEL 4 took place on July 11, 2012 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. The entire UFC on FUEL 4 payroll can be seen below, however these figures do not represent a fighter's total earnings, as sponsorship money and discretionary post-fight bonuses are not publicly disclosed.

Additionally, Weidman, Te Huna, Joey Beltran, and Alex Caceres took home an extra $40,000 in post-fight bonuses for their work.

FUEL TV main card:
Chris Weidman ($22,000 + $22,000 = $44,000) def. Mark Munoz ($42,000)
James Te Huna ($14,000 + $14,000 = $28,000) def. Joey Beltran ($15,000)
Aaron Simpson ($23,000 + $23,000 = $46,000) def. Kenny Robertson ($8,000)
Francis Carmont ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Karlos Vemola ($14,000)
T.J. Dillashaw ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Vaughan Lee ($8,000)
Rafael dos Anjos ($20,000 + $20,000 = $40,000) def. Anthony Njokuani ($14,000)

Facebook preliminary card:
Alex Caceres ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Damacio Page ($11,000)
Chris Cariaso ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Josh Ferguson ($8,000)
Andrew Craig ($8,000 + $8,000 = 16,000) def. Rafael Natal ($12,000)
Marcelo Guimaraes ($6,000 + $6,000 = $12,000) def. Dan Stittgen ($6,000)
Raphael Assuncao ($17,000 + $17,000 = $34,000) def. Issei Tamura ($8,000)

Kemal
13-07-2012, 21:13
UFC on FUEL 4 Medical Suspensions: Mark Munoz Out for Six Months

UFC middleweight headliner Mark Munoz was among the ten fighters to receive medical suspensions from the California State Athletic Commission in the aftermath of UFC on FUEL 4.
Munoz could potentially be sidelined for up to six months due to a pair of lacerations and a potential fractured mandible suffered during his gruesome second-round TKO loss to Chris Weidman, although he is able to return early with clearance from a physician.

Light heavyweight co-headliner James Te Huna also received a six-month suspension after suffering potential fractures in his left elbow and left foot during his three-round brawl with Joey Beltran. Meanwhile, the worse-for-wear Beltran will only be sidelined for 60 days due to a trio of facial lacerations acquired during the pair's ‘Fight of the Night.'

Seven additional fighters received various suspensions, including lightweight striker Anthony Njokuani. Following his decision loss to Rafael dos Anjos, Njokuani received a potential six-month suspension for a fractured hand.

The official UFC on FUEL 4 medical suspension report can be read below:

Mark Munoz: Suspended for 45 days, no contact for 30 days for TKO loss. Also suspended 180 days for left scalp laceration, right eyebrow laceration and potential mandible fracture, or pending physician clearance.
James Te Huna: Suspended for 180 days for potential left elbow fracture and left foot fracture, or pending physician clearance. Also suspended indefinitely pending mandatory MRI prior to Sept. 11, 2012.
Joey Beltran: Suspended for 60 days for pair of right orbital lacerations and upper right lip laceration, or pending physician clearance.
Aaron Simpson: Suspended for 60 days for right eye laceration, or pending physician clearance.
Kenny Robertson: Suspended for 60 days for right scalp laceration, or pending physician clearance.
Anthony Njokuani: Suspended for 180 days for potential right hand fracture, or pending physician clearance.
Josh Ferguson: Suspended for 60 days for right orbital laceration, or pending physician clearance.
Andrew Craig: Suspended for 60 days for left eyebrow laceration, or pending physician clearance.
Rafael Natal: Suspended for 45 days, no contact for 30 days.
Issei Tamura: Suspended for 45 days, no contact for 30 days.

Ralph
13-07-2012, 21:16
Wow! Nog geen tijd gehad om de partijen te bekijken, maar zijn wel een hoop blessures.