PDA

View Full Version : Jake Shields suspended six months for using 'prohibited' substance prior to UFC 150

Kemal
13-10-2012, 08:32
Jake Shields has been suspended six months for using an illegal substance prior to his UFC 150 bout with Ed Herman in August. The fighter revealed the news Friday to the media via press release.

UFC 150 took place on Aug. 11th at Pepsi Center in Denver, Colo. Shields, 35, fought and defeated Herman via unanimous decision.

Shields did not specify which substance he took that resulted in the suspension. The Colorado Boxing Commission does also not disclose test results according to their own state laws.

"Prior to my professional bout at UFC 150 in Denver, Colorado, I used a substance prohibited by Colorado Boxing Commission rules," Shields said in a statement. "This was a mistake that I fully regret. I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC and I have apologized to them and now I also apologize to you, the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career. I accept the Boxing Commission's decision for a six-month suspension, which will expire in February. I ask that you accept my apology. I will be back fighting soon, and hope that the fans of MMA will support me until that time."

Prior to this incident, Shields has never tested positive for any performance-enhancing drugs or any other banned substance in his 35-fight professional career.

He previously fought at middleweight early in his career as well as 2009 and 2010 as Strikeforce's middleweight champion. Shields moved back to welterweight and made his UFC debut at UFC 121 in October of 2010 where he defeated Martin Kampmann via unanimous decision. His most-recent return to middleweight began with the fight at UFC 150 against Herman.

Harrie Nak
13-10-2012, 10:29
Zal wel hebben lopen smoken om o.a. het verlies van zijn vader proberen te verwerken. Voor PED's krijgt men namelijk volgens mij minstens een jaar schorsing.

Asura
13-10-2012, 14:06
Zal wel hebben lopen smoken om o.a. het verlies van zijn vader proberen te verwerken. Voor PED's krijgt men namelijk volgens mij minstens een jaar schorsing.

Dat zou wel goed kunnen

rollermanskunk
13-10-2012, 14:27
Zeker op visite geweest bij de Diaz bros?

Pahlavan
13-10-2012, 14:52
Ff offtopic: ik blijf me verbazen over hoe slecht jake's stand up is. Serieus, hoe kun je al jaren een professionele vechter zijn en staand zo bagger zijn?! Er naar kijken is al pijnlijk. Volgens mij heeft de gemiddelde recreante kickbokser hier in nederland al beter techniek.

on topic: voor ped's zou je idd langer geschorst worden dus het zou idd kunnen dat hij iets teveel met de diaz broeders is omgegaan...

rollermanskunk
13-10-2012, 22:26
Volgens de UG-forum:

As many of you know Jake is my best friend. I just got off the phone with him and he is just very upset with himself and his poor dec.

But very happy and thankful for both CSAC and the UFC for their support and the 6 month suspension (not as happy about the fine but knows he only has himself, not Nick Diaz to blame)

As you already know Jake tested positive for marijuana for his fight w Ed Herman. He told me he had trained out in Stockton over 3 weeks before his fight. Jake (not normally a smoker) went over to Nicks house after the workout to shower up and unwind before he headed back to San Fran and took a couple of hit a from a joint w the assurance that (for a host of reasons) that he need not worry about a positive test come fight time by everyone at the house.

He knew better and is sorry he did. And sorry to any fans he let down.

He is also very pro MJ and believes that MJ laws in this country and in MMA (considering it a performance enhancer) are JOKES but that's a side note...

He knows as a professional athlete he can not use it near fights. Period!!!!!

So long story short..... He is sorry but he didn't test positive for steroids or cocaine or anything shitty like that.

So he will do his time and accept his fair punishment and will be back full force in 6 months.

Thanks to all that support Jake. He is not perfect and he made a mistake. He won't make it twice!!!

-Beau Taylor

bryan
14-10-2012, 00:28
Ik weet niet veel van die testen maar serieus ?? Kan een test een paar haaltjes opsporen ? lijkt me echt sterk... en vooral weken voor de test...

rollermanskunk
14-10-2012, 01:18
Ik weet niet veel van die testen maar serieus ?? Kan een test een paar haaltjes opsporen ? lijkt me echt sterk... en vooral weken voor de test...

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/marijuana_test.htm

Kemal
16-10-2012, 07:55
Jake Shields' UFC 150 win over Ed Herman ruled a no-contest

Jake Shields' UFC middleweight foray is not off to an auspicious beginning.

The fighter announced Friday via press release he'd been suspended by the Office of Boxing Licensure within the Colorado Division of Professions and Occupations for taking an unnamed prohibited substance prior to his August UFC 150 middleweight bout with Ed Herman.

MMA Fighting confirmed Monday with a representative of the Colorado commission Shields is suspended for six months for taking a prohibited substance. Their public stipulation of the punishment handed to Shields, however, does not identify which prohibited substance Shields took.

According to Colorado regulation, "participants are prohibited from using any drugs, alcohol, or stimulants, either before or during a bout. Any substance other than plain water or a sports drink approved by the director is prohibited during the event."
Zuffa issued a statement as well Monday.

"“We’ve been informed by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies’ Boxing Commission that Mr. Shields tested positive for a banned substance following his bout at UFC 150. UFC has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any performance-enhancing drugs, including the requirement that all incoming athletes be tested and cleared for PEDs. Therefore, we fully support the drug testing efforts of the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies’ Boxing Commission and will fully cooperate with the Commission regarding this matter.”

In addition to the six-month suspension retroactive to the day of his UFC 150 bout (Aug. 11), Shields must pay a $5,675 fine. While the fine for his infraction is $5,000, he's also been ordered to pay a 10 percent 'additional surcharge' by the Executive Director of the Department of Regulatory Agencies. Shields must further pay $175 related to administrative costs incurred by the testing company. He has fourteen days to meet those financial obligations as of Monday, October 15th.

In addition, Shields' bout with Herman has been overturned to a no-contest. Shields initially won the fight via unanimous decision.

Shields has amassed a 2-2-1 record during in his UFC tenure, which began in October of 2010. He holds an overall MMA record of 26-7-1-1.