PDA

View Full Version : Boks Icoon Emanuel Steward overleden

Pahlavan
26-10-2012, 08:55
Emanuel Steward, revered as one of the best trainers in boxing history and whose Kronk Gym symbolized Detroit's gritty, blue-collar boxing scene and produced numerous world champions, died Thursday after a short illness. He was 68.

Steward, who also managed many of the fighters he trained, worked with more than two dozen champions during his decades-long career. A younger generation of boxing fans knew him as an expert analyst on HBO's boxing telecasts.

Victoria Kirton, Steward's executive assistant, told the Associated Press that Steward died in a Chicago hospital Thursday afternoon.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Kerstin Joensson
Emanuel Steward, who produced numerous world champions as one of boxing's great trainers and owned the famed Kronk Gym, died Thursday at 68.
Often called the Godfather of Detroit boxing, Steward was a beloved figure because of his outgoing personality, seemingly endless energy to talk about boxing with anyone who would approach him and his dedication to his fighters. As a cornerman, he commanded respect because of his strategic genius and for having the knack to say the right thing at the right time during the heat of battle.

Fighters also loved him for his generosity and for the father-figure role he often played in their lives. Training fighters was not just a job for Steward. He often took fighters in to live with him in his Detroit home, training them by day and parenting them by night.

Steward was most closely identified with his work with three superstar fighters: multi-divisional world champion Thomas Hearns, who was with Steward from the beginning, former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis and reigning heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko.

Steward kept his usual busy schedule through the summer, training middleweight contender Andy Lee -- who lived with Steward -- for his loss to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on June 16, and Klitschko for his title-retaining sixth-round knockout win against Tony Thompson in their July 7 rematch. But he had been hospitalized since September, causing him to miss two HBO broadcasts, and underwent surgery. His sister, Diane Steward Jones, said the surgery was for the stomach disorder diverticulitis, although many others who knew Steward said it was for advanced cancer.

"There are no adequate words to describe the enormous degree of sadness and loss we feel at HBO Sports with the tragic passing of Manny Steward," HBO Sports president Ken Hershman said. "For more than a decade, Manny was a respected colleague who taught us so much not only about the sweet science but also about friendship and loyalty. His energy, enthusiasm and bright smile were a constant presence. Ten bells do not seem enough to mourn his passing. His contributions to the sport and to HBO will never be forgotten. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Born in West Virginia on July 7, 1944, Steward became interested in boxing at age 8 after he was given a pair of boxing gloves. When he was 12, he moved with his mother to Detroit and began training at Brewster's Gym, the famed gym that produced the great Joe Louis.

I will miss our time together. The long talks about boxing, the world, and life itself. Most of all I will miss our friendship. Rest in peace Emanuel. You will be greatly missed.

-- Wladimir Klitschko
As an amateur fighter, Steward compiled a 94-3 record and won a 1963 National Golden Gloves title as a bantamweight. But his calling was as a trainer, not as a fighter.

Although Steward was schooled as an electrician, he began coaching amateur fighters as a part-time coach in 1971 at the Kronk Gym, which he helped transform from the basement of a community center into a breeding ground for professional champions, who would walk to the ring wearing the unmistakable red and gold Kronk colors.

In 1977, he led one of those amateurs into the pro ranks. It was Hearns, who became a star and with whom Steward found fame and glory.

But there were other important fighters, too, including Hilmer Kenty, who became Steward's first professional champion in March 1980 when he won a lightweight world title by stopping Ernesto Espana in the ninth round at Joe Louis Arena in downtown Detroit.

Five months later, Hearns destroyed Pipino Cuevas in two rounds to win a welterweight title. For the next 30-plus years, Steward had a constant stable of champions, some of whom he was with from the early days of their careers and some more established fighters who sought him out because of his reputation. Other champions he trained at one time or another included Mike McCallum, Jimmy Paul, Michael Moorer, Dennis Andries, Milton McCrory, Duane Thomas, Gerald McClellan, Evander Holyfield, Oliver McCall, John David Jackson, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., Oscar De La Hoya, Naseem Hamed, Jermain Taylor, Chad Dawson, Miguel Cotto, and Cornelius "K9" Bundrage.

Steward trained McCall when he knocked out Lewis to win a heavyweight title in 1994 in a huge upset and then took over Lewis' corner in 1995. He was in Lewis' corner when he stopped McCall in their 1997 rematch to regain the title. Steward and Lewis went 16-1-1 together before Lewis retired as champion in 2004, but they remained close.

"I'm completely devastated by the passing of my long time friend, mentor and trainer Emanuel 'Manny' Steward," Lewis said in a statement. "Manny has helped me get through some of the biggest fights in my career and I only regret that I couldn't return the favor and see him through his biggest fight.

"We've maintained a close relationship and the last time we spoke he seemed his usual upbeat self so it was very disturbing to hear about his illness and rapid decline. It is with a heavy heart that realization of what I hoped were just rumors are now in fact true. Manny always told me I was the best, but the truth is, he was the best and I'm grateful, privileged and honored to be counted among his many historic successes. ... We've truly lost one of its crown jewels. Manny was giving, selfless, compassionate and stern. He always gave back to the community and never forgot where he came from. He was an institution unto himself and I'm proud to have had him in my corner for so many years.

"I'm extremely grateful for the time that I was given with him and he will be severely missed by all who knew and loved him. I'll miss his smile, his frank no-holds-barred truthfulness and our discussions on boxing and life. My prayers and condolences go out to his family at this very difficult time."

Klitschko, who is training in Austria for a Nov. 10 title defense against Mariusz Wach, knew the gravity of Steward's illness and was forced this week to announce a replacement for Steward for the fight, tapping Steward disciple and pro heavyweight Johnathon Banks, a Kronk Gym product.

"(My brother) Vitali and I, along with the entire Team Klitschko, send our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to Emanuel's family and friends," Wladimir Klitschko said in a statement. "It is not often that a person in any line of work gets a chance to work with a legend. Well I was privileged enough to work with one for almost a decade."

Steward began working with Klitschko in 2004, and their first fight resulted in a knockout loss to Lamon Brewster. But under Steward's steady hand, Klitschko rebuilt himself into a heavyweight force and one of the most dominant heavyweight champions in history.

Steward got a lot of the credit for helping Klitschko mentally as much as he did for training him physically. Klitschko and Steward shared a close bond that went deeper than simply trainer and fighter.

"I will miss our time together," Klitschko said. "The long talks about boxing, the world, and life itself. Most of all I will miss our friendship. Rest in peace Emanuel. You will be greatly missed.

"My team and I will carry on with the goals we had set while Emanuel was with us because that is exactly what Emanuel would have wanted. I know he will be with us in spirit along the way and we will accomplish these goals in his honor. Until we meet again my friend."

Steward trained then-welterweight champion De La Hoya in 1997.

"It brings me great grief and sadness to hear of the passing of one of the best and most respected trainers of this era, Emanuel Steward," De La Hoya said. "I learned a lot from him during our professional relationship and I will be forever grateful for his help during that time. We were also friends and I know I am going to miss him as so many others will too. He was an important part of our boxing community."

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum was a friend of Steward's for since the 1980s and promoted many of the fights involving the fighters he trained.

"We are all grieving the passing of our friend Emanuel Steward," Arum said. "His founding and leadership of the Kronk Gym in Detroit was outstanding. His efforts produced many world class fighters and champions including Tommy Hearns, Milt McCrory, Michael Moorer and many more. Emanuel Steward always stood for the best that boxing could offer. He will be missed by all of us."

Although Steward was part of many big wins, he had his share of hurtful defeats. None stung him more than when Hearns was knocked out in the 14th round by Sugar Ray Leonard in the memorable 1981 welterweight championship fight. Steward said it was the most painful experience of his life, boxing or otherwise. He was also hurt by the third-round knockout loss Hearns suffered against Marvelous Marvin Hagler challenging for the middleweight title in their all-time great 1985 showdown.

Steward was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1996.

"Without a doubt, Emanuel Steward was one of the most accomplished and respected trainers in the history of boxing," said Ed Brophy, executive director of the Canastota, N.Y., shrine. "He was a great ambassador for the sport, always promoting boxing wherever he traveled. The Hall of Fame joins the worldwide boxing world in mourning the passing of a legend."

Brophy said the flags at the Hall of Fame would fly at half-staff in his memory.

Steward was named trainer of the year by the Boxing Writers Association of America in 1993 and 1997. The BWAA voted him manager of the year in 1980 and 1989.

Leventdepevent
26-10-2012, 09:01
Emanuel Steward, a Hall of Fame trainer and iconic figure in Detroit who put his hometown on the boxing map by turning out some of the greatest fighters the sport has seen, died Thursday in a Chicago area hospital.
He was 68.
Steward had been suffering from diverticulitis, but there were various reports that he had stage 4 colon cancer as well. He had been hospitalized since September and underwent surgery recently for diverticulitis, a stomach disorder, according to his sister, Diane Steward-Jones.
Steward-Jones, who handled business and public relations for Steward, told the Detroit Free Press she and several family members were by his side.
"He has passed – he's gone home," Steward-Jones told the Free Press by phone. "He was in no pain, and we sang to him, as well as did the doctors present. He had loved ones around him."
Steward-Jones said even toward the end her brother tried to recruit male nurses and other medical staff to box for him. "They loved him," Steward-Jones said. "He'd tell them to lose some weight and fight for him."
Steward was a fighter himself in his early years, compiled a 94-3 amateur record, and was the 1963 Golden Gloves bantamweight champion. But it was as a teacher of boxing where he made his mark, and what eventually got him elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1997.
Steward, who for the last 11 years had been a boxing analyst for HBO, was the cornerman for such great Detroit-area fighters as 1980s-era champions Thomas Hearns, Hilmer Kenty and Milton McCrory. He later trained heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis and was the trainer for current heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko up until his death.
Klitschko who is training for a Nov. 10 title defense against Mariusz Wach, released a statement that read:
"Boxing has suffered a tremendous loss with the passing of Emanuel Steward. Vitali and I, along with the entire Team Klitschko, send our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to Emanuel's family and friends. It is not often that a person in any line of work gets a chance to work with a legend. Well I was privileged enough to work with one for almost a decade. I will miss our time together. The long talks about boxing, the world, and life itself. Most of all I will miss our friendship. My team and I will carry on with the goals we had set while Emanuel was with us because that is exactly what Emanuel would have wanted. I know he will be with us in spirit along the way and we will accomplish these goals in his honor. "
Steward worked with his fighters in the cramped, but legendary Kronk Gym in downtown Detroit. The original Kronk closed in 2006, and moved to another part of Detroit.
Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, who has been promoting boxing for more than 40 years, said Steward will be sorely missed by the boxing community.
"We are all grieving the passing of our friend Emanuel Steward. His founding and leadership of the Kronk Gym in Detroit was outstanding," Arum said. "His efforts produced many world class fighters and champions including Tommy Hearns, Milt McCrory, Michael Moorer and many more.

"Emanuel Steward always stood for the best that boxing could offer. He will be missed by all of us."
Steward had worked as a highly respected boxing analyst for HBO, with partners Jim Lampley, Larry Merchant and Max Kellerman since 2001, and was a fixture at ringside for most of HBO's biggest fights during that time.
"There are no adequate words to describe the enormous degree of sadness and loss we feel at HBO Sports with the tragic passing of Manny Steward," HBO President Ken Hershman said in a statement. "For more than a decade, Manny was a respected colleague who taught us so much not only about the sweet science but also about friendship and loyalty.
"His energy, enthusiasm and bright smile were a constant presence. Ten bells do not seem enough to mourn his passing. His contributions to the sport and to HBO will never be forgotten. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."
Steward was also an analyst during the early years of Showtime's Championship Boxing series, and many of his fighters appeared on the Showtime cards.
"Steward and many of his Kronk protégé were fixtures in the infancy of Showtime Championship Boxing in the late 1980's. Over the years, we became close personal friends," said David Dinkins Jr. a boxing producer for the network. "He will be missed by all of us in the sport. Moreover, the sport will miss what he embodied in boxing -- everything that is good and right about this business.
"It's a terrible shame that his life was cut short. Men like Emanuel Steward are
irreplaceable."

Steward, who was born in West Virginia and moved with his mother to Detroit at age 12, was well known for his charity work in the Detroit area with the Kronk Gym Foundation, which helped kids in need get training and an education.
Frank Garza, a leading Michigan boxing referee and close friend of Steward's, told the Free Press: "Emanuel was Mr. Boxing in Detroit. He was like Gordie Howe is to Detroit hockey and Al Kaline to Detroit baseball.

"He loved to live and he loved to give. He was a down-to-earth guy when you were with him. As a trainer, he was a brilliant strategist. If you ever wanted to win a fight, you just listened to his advice."

bron: Detroit free press

Kemal
26-10-2012, 09:04
RIP

Facade
26-10-2012, 10:17
Gvd man schrik hier best van. Ik wist dat hij in het ziekenhuis was, maar niet dat het kanker was. RIP.

T15Boxing
29-10-2012, 00:10
RIP. Denk er al dagen aan, een moment is hij bij HBO als commentator zo mooi bezig en een half jaar later is hij weg. Echt een groot verlies voor het Boksen. Een van de belangrijkste figuren in de sport.

Wat Wladimir Klitschko hier zei over hem vond ik prachtig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAsc_yWAzTw
"Even though he's not here I can still hear his voice whispering to me when I'm sparring"

Leventdepevent
14-11-2012, 11:43
Emanuel Steward geëerd in Detroit

Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward werd gisteren geëerd in Detroit. Steward overleed in oktober op 68-jarige leeftijd aan de gevolgen van darmkanker.

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit.jpg
Uitvaart

Thomas Hearns, Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko, Vitali Klitschko, Sugar Ray Leonard, Evander Holyfield en Roy Jones Jr. waren bij de uitvaart aanwezig om hun respect te betuigen aan de legendarische trainer. Wladimir Klitschko, wie afgelopen zaterdag met succes zijn titel verdedigde tegen Mariusz Wach, was na het gevecht direct overgevlogen naar Detroit om de uitvaart van zijn voormalig trainer bij te wonen.

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-2.jpg
foto: Thomas Hearns barst in tranen uit tijdens zijn speech

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-3.jpg

Spectaculaire opkomst

HBO sport commentator Jim Lampley sprak van een spectaculaire opkomst. "Alleen al op de eerste twee rijen zitten vijf wereldkampioenen." En alsof dat nog niet indrukwekkend genoeg was, zong Aretha Franklin voor een paar duizend toeschouwers in de Geater Grace Temple "I'll Fly Away".

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-4.jpg
foto: Evander Holyfield

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-5.jpg
foto: Wereldkampioenen aanwezig bij de uitvaart
"Het is nu jouw tijd"

Wladimir Klitschko zijn nieuwe trainer, Johnathon Banks, wie eveneens getraind werd door Steward, werd afgelopen dinsdag door Steward zijn oudste dochter de volgende vijf woorden ingefluisterd; "Het is nu jouw tijd". "Ik had nooit verwacht dat uit haar mond te horen," laat een ontdane Banks weten. Ik zal Steward nooit kunnen en willen vervangen. Hij is nu eenmaal niet te vervangen. Ik ga slechts verder met het werk wat Steward opgebouwd heeft."

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-6.jpg

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geeerd-in-Detroit-7.jpg
foto: Wladimir Klitschko

Bron: Round1network

Leventdepevent
14-11-2012, 12:15
Emanuel Steward geëerd in Detroit

Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward werd gisteren geëerd in Detroit. Steward overleed in oktober op 68-jarige leeftijd aan de gevolgen van darmkanker.

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit.jpg
Uitvaart

Thomas Hearns, Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko, Vitali Klitschko, Sugar Ray Leonard, Evander Holyfield en Roy Jones Jr. waren bij de uitvaart aanwezig om hun respect te betuigen aan de legendarische trainer. Wladimir Klitschko, wie afgelopen zaterdag met succes zijn titel verdedigde tegen Mariusz Wach, was na het gevecht direct overgevlogen naar Detroit om de uitvaart van zijn voormalig trainer bij te wonen.

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-2.jpg

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-3.jpg

Spectaculaire opkomst

HBO sport commentator Jim Lampley sprak van een spectaculaire opkomst. "Alleen al op de eerste twee rijen zitten vijf wereldkampioenen." En alsof dat nog niet indrukwekkend genoeg was, zong Aretha Franklin voor een paar duizend toeschouwers in de Geater Grace Temple "I'll Fly Away".

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-4.jpg

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-5.jpg
"Het is nu jouw tijd"

Wladimir Klitschko zijn nieuwe trainer, Johnathon Banks, wie eveneens getraind werd door Steward, werd afgelopen dinsdag door Steward zijn oudste dochter de volgende vijf woorden ingefluisterd; "Het is nu jouw tijd". "Ik had nooit verwacht dat uit haar mond te horen," laat een ontdane Banks weten. Ik zal Steward nooit kunnen en willen vervangen. Hij is nu eenmaal niet te vervangen. Ik ga slechts verder met het werk wat Steward opgebouwd heeft."

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geëerd-in-Detroit-6.jpg

http://www.round1network.com/i.php?f=round1-Emanuel-Steward-geeerd-in-Detroit-7.jpg

Leventdepevent
14-11-2012, 12:39
Emanuel Steward geëerd in DetroitHall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward werd gisteren geëerd in Detroit. Steward overleed in oktober op 68-jarige leeftijd aan de gevolgen van darmkanker.

UitvaartThomas Hearns, Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko, Vitali Klitschko, Sugar Ray Leonard, Evander Holyfield en Roy Jones Jr. waren bij de uitvaart aanwezig om hun respect te betuigen aan de legendarische trainer. Wladimir Klitschko, wie afgelopen zaterdag met succes zijn titel verdedigde tegen Mariusz Wach, was na het gevecht direct overgevlogen naar Detroit om de uitvaart van zijn voormalig trainer bij te wonen.

Spectaculaire opkomstHBO sport commentator Jim Lampley sprak van een spectaculaire opkomst. "Alleen al op de eerste twee rijen zitten vijf wereldkampioenen." En alsof dat nog niet indrukwekkend genoeg was, zong Aretha Franklin voor een paar duizend toeschouwers in de Geater Grace Temple "I'll Fly Away".

"Het is nu jouw tijd"Wladimir Klitschko zijn nieuwe trainer, Johnathon Banks, wie eveneens getraind werd door Steward, werd afgelopen dinsdag door Steward zijn oudste dochter de volgende vijf woorden ingefluisterd; "Het is nu jouw tijd". "Ik had nooit verwacht dat uit haar mond te horen," laat een ontdane Banks weten. Ik zal Steward nooit kunnen en willen vervangen. Hij is nu eenmaal niet te vervangen. Ik ga slechts verder met het werk wat Steward opgebouwd heeft."

Bron Round1network