PDA

View Full Version : Strikeforce Gegard Mousasi vs. Mike Kyle | Dion Staring vs. Daniel Cormier Jan 12.

Kemal
08-11-2012, 08:04
A month after their title fight was shut down due to injury, and then card cancellation, it appears Luke Rockhold and Lorenz Larkin have a new dance date.

Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF), the Strikeforce middleweight champion, and Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) are being targeted for an as yet unannounced Strikeforce card on Jan. 12. Sources close to the promotion on Wednesday told MMAjunkie.com that the fight booking is in the process of being finalized.

Rockhold and Larkin were scheduled to meet in the co-main event of Strikeforce's Nov. 3 show in Oklahoma City, but that card was scrapped not long after Rockhold pulled out with a wrist injury.

That card, which was to take place at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, also lost its main event, a heavyweight fight between Daniel Cormier and UFC crossover Frank Mir. The loss of the two marquee fights led to a Showtime decision to not broadcast the card, and then ultimately the Strikeforce cancellation of its second consecutive show.

But at the time of the cancellation announcement, Showtime and Strikeforce said a blockbuster card was being planned for January. Now that card appears to have its first matchup, though nothing has been announced by the promotion or the cable network.

Rockhold is unbeaten in Strikeforce and has defended his title twice since winning it against Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza. In January, he stopped Keith Jardine in the first round. And in July, in a long-awaited fight, he made relatively easy work of Tim Kennedy, winning by unanimous 49-46 scores in Portland, Ore.

Larkin will come into the fight unbeaten off a dominant unanimous decision sweep of Robbie Lawler at "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy" in July. His unbeaten record comes with an asterisk of sorts, as he lost by second-round knockout to Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in January. But when Lawal tested positive for a banned steroid after the fight, the result was flipped to a no contest.

That bout was at light heavyweight. Against Lawler, Larkin made his middleweight debut and the win resulted in a quick title shot that was put on hold with Rockhold's injury.

Kemal
08-11-2012, 20:07
Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine targeted for Strikeforce's return in January

Strikeforce's next event is starting to slowly come together.

According to sources close to the event, Nate Marquardt will defend his Strikeforce welterweight title against Tarec Saffiedine at a planned Jan. 12 event. A host city and venue is still unknown at this time. The fight is expected to be televised on Showtime.

Strikeforce has yet to officially announce the fight, which has been verbally agreed to by all parties involved.

Marquardt (32-10-2) won the Strikeforce belt in his promotional debut when he knocked out Tyron Woodley in July. Meanwhile, Saffiedine (13-3) has won his last three fights in a row, most recently defeating Roger Bowling via unanimous decision in August.

Strikeforce hasn't held an event since that August show, headlined by Ronda Rousey vs. Sarah Kaufman. Since then, the promotion canceled September and November shows due to injuries.

Showtime and Strikeforce announced last month that they were planning a "stacked" show for their return next year.

rollermanskunk
09-11-2012, 00:30
Strikeforce's next event will feature three title fights and the return of its heavyweight grand prix winner.

MMAjunkie.com (http://mmajunkie.com/) (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with company officials the bouts include lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF) vs. Pat Healy (28-16 MMA, 6-1 SF), middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) vs. Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF), and welterweight champion Nate Marquardt (32-10-2 MMA, 1-0 SF) vs. Tarec Saffiedine (13-3 MMA, 3-1 SF).

Additionally, Daniel Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF) will fight fellow heavyweight Dion Staring (28-7 MMA, 0-0 SF) at the Jan. 12 event.
The event takes place at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, which also was scheduled to host a Nov. 3 event. However, the show was canceled following a series of injuries to some of the key fighters. It was Strikeforce's second straight cancellation.

However, officials promised a stacked card upon its return to Showtime and Showtime Extreme in January, and on paper, they've delivered with this latest offering.

Stay tuned for more on this story.

Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/31510/strikeforce-on-jan-12-melendez-healy-rockhold-larkin-marquardt-saffiedine-title-fights.mma

lukashenko
09-11-2012, 00:32
o damn
mooi voor dion dat hij eindelijk op het grote toneel mag knokken
jammer dat het tegen cormier is ,
ik denk dat die een maatje te groot is voor dion.

de Stiep
09-11-2012, 00:33
So hé, das goed nieuws voor Dion.

de Stiep
09-11-2012, 00:33
So hé, das goed nieuws voor Dion.

Rverm
09-11-2012, 01:18
pfff pittige tegenstander... Moet wel zeggen dat Dion Staring een compleet ander fysiek heeft dan voorheen, dus denk dat zijn cardio/conditie wel vooruit zijn gegaan. Daarnaast is hij mentaal altijd sterk in mijn ogen.

rollermanskunk
09-11-2012, 03:23
Deze partij kan Dion alleen maar winnen en Cormier heeft alles te verliezen. Het zou een mooie verrassing zijn als Dion Cormier weet te verslaan.

Misschien ook de allerlaatste Strikeforce event?

Kemal
09-11-2012, 07:55
Zou idd vet zijn!!

Kemal
09-11-2012, 07:58
Misschien ook de allerlaatste Strikeforce event?

And there's more ... sources say Strikeforce, which airs on Showtime, will be running its last event in January before folding up shop for good. .

De stekker gaat eruit..

http://www.mixfight.nl/forum/showthread.php?125999-RONDA-ROUSEY-Becomes-1st-Female-Fighter-to-Join-UFC

Kemal
09-11-2012, 08:02
Strikeforce back Jan. 12 with three title fights; Daniel Cormier's return

Knock on wood, Strikeforce returns on Jan. 12.

(Update: This event will mark Strikeforce's final event. The news was first reported Thursday night by TMZ.com and was confirmed by MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani).

The Zuffa-owned fight company was forced to cancel its last two planned events. But Strikeforce announced via press release on Thursday night that it will return with a card in Oklahoma City on the second Saturday of 2013.

Four fights are set for the card at the Chesapeake Energy Arena: Three title fights and the return of Strikeforce heavyweight Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier.

In the title bouts, lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez will defend his title against Pat Healy; middleweight champion Luke Rockhold meets challenger Lorenz Larkin; and Nate Marquardt will face Tarec Saffiedine for the vacant welterweight title.
Cormier, meanwhile, returns for the final fight of his Strikeforce contract and will face Dion Staring.

"We've built an absolutely stacked card for Oklahoma City and the Showtime viewers," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker stated in the press release. "We have three awesome title fights featuring some of the best fighters to ever grace the Strikeforce cage.

Plus, we have Daniel Cormier, one of the fastest-rising heavyweight stars today, returning to his roots in Oklahoma to fight Dion Staring. January 12 is going to be a really special night."

Both Melendez-Healy and Rockhold-Larkin are rescheduled bouts. Melendez-Healy was originally set to headline a Sept. 29 card in Sacramento, Calif. But a shoulder injury forced the champion to pull out of the fight and the card was canceled. Rockhold-Larkin was slated for a Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, but Rockhold had to pull out with an injury, and that card, as well, was also injured.

Cormier returns to the cage for the first time since defeating Josh Barnett to win the Grand Prix tourney on May 19. Cormier was supposed to fight former UFC champion Frank Mir on the ill-fated Nov. 3 event, but Mir had to pull out of the fight with an injury. His opponent, Staring, is from Holland and has a record of 28-7. His biggest fight of note was a 2009 bout against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, which he lost via a third-round submission.

The event will mark the first Strikeforce card since Aug. 18, when Ronda Rousey finished Sarah Kaufman in the main event of a San Diego show.

MMAFAN-1122
09-11-2012, 15:39
Pfff gaat hij moeilijk krijgen maar is wel een super uitdaging!

marcelt
09-11-2012, 19:38
Top dat dion het maf dooen maar bern erg bang voor KO R1.

Sato
09-11-2012, 20:43
WAR Dion. Ik hoop voor de eerste upset van het nieuwe jaar. Tuurlijk is Staring the underdog, dat weet hij zelf ook. Maar every dog has it's day. WAR!

Pahlavan
09-11-2012, 20:57
Natuurlijk gun ik het Dion om te winnen maar ben bang dat hij totaal geen match voor cormier zal zijn...

hoe dan ook is dit een goede step up voor dion en hij heeft weinig te verliezen

Ralph
09-11-2012, 21:21
Is Dion niet een heel stuk lichter dan Cormier?

Rverm
09-11-2012, 21:48
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/282326_460216197364937_32175744_n.jpg

Dion ziet er wel wat scherper uit dan voorheen...

Diz
09-11-2012, 22:45
Ik hoop dat mijn naamgenoot deze pot gaat knallen!
Hij zal er flink aan moeten sleuren om tegen Cormier met de W weg te lopen...

de Stiep
09-11-2012, 23:12
Twee duimpjes omhoog voor Dion. :thup:

Kemal
10-11-2012, 08:27
Ryan Couture vs. K.J. Noons booked for 'Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy' on Jan. 12

The competition continues to stiffen for lightweight Ryan Couture.

Sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com that Couture (5-1 MMA, 5-1 SF) is set to meet onetime welterweight title challenger K.J. Noons (11-5 MMA, 3-3 SF) at "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy."

The bout is likely to serve on the Showtime Extreme-televised preliminary card of the event, which takes place Jan. 12 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. Main-card fights, including three title bouts, air on Showtime.

Couture, the son of UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, climbed another step on the lightweight ladder in his most recent Strikeforce appearance when he outpointed Joe Duarte at "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy." The win followed another decision over tough veteran Conor Heun at "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey."

Following his win over Duarte, Couture said his ultimate goal was to earn a shot at the title.

Noons looks to redeem himself for a decision loss to ex-champ Josh Thomson at "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey," which reversed his course following an impressive decision over Billy Evangelista.

The former pro boxer and EliteXC champ moved up to welterweight in hopes of capturing then-champ Nick Diaz's belt, but was outpointed after five grueling rounds. He then returned to his native lightweight class, where he hoped to challenge champ Gilbert Melendez, but was instead halted when he lost a decision to Jorge Masvidal.

"Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy" is headlined by a lightweight title bout between champ Melendez and Ryan Healy, which originally was scheduled for a Sept. 29 event that was canceled, in part, by Melendez's injury withdrawal. Another fight scrapped for Nov. 3 between middleweight champ Luke Rockhold and Lorenz Larkin co-headlines, which follows a welterweight title bout between champ Nate Marquardt and challenger Tarec Saffiedine.

The latest card for "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy" includes:
Champ Gilbert Melendez vs. Pat Healy - for lightweight title
Champ Luke Rockhold vs. Lorenz Larkin - for middleweight title
Champ Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine - for welterweight title
Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring
Ryan Couture vs. K.J. Noons*

* - Not officially announced

rollermanskunk
21-11-2012, 19:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vafudwpazO4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mooi dat Gegard weer gaat vechten. Ben benieuwd of die een UFC-contract krijgt.

Mauro
21-11-2012, 19:48
Finally !

Kemal
21-11-2012, 19:59
eindelijk, daarna door naar UFC

123trisweat
21-11-2012, 20:01
WAR Mousasi

T15Boxing
21-11-2012, 20:55
Goed nieuws! Ik was al aan het hopen voor zoiets. En als Mousasi indrukwekkend wint kan een UFC contract bijna niet meer misgaan.

co0per
21-11-2012, 23:09
Nu maar hopen dat het deze keer wel doorgaat.

rollermanskunk
22-11-2012, 00:22
Gegard Mousasi Says He’s Headed to the UFC and “Can Beat Anybody”More Sharing ServiceShare (http://addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&username=xa-4d2b47597ad291fb)|Share on facebook (http://fcfighter.com/post/gegard-mousasi-says-hes-headed-to-the-ufc-and-can-beat-anybody#)Share on twitter (http://fcfighter.com/post/gegard-mousasi-says-hes-headed-to-the-ufc-and-can-beat-anybody#)Share on print (http://fcfighter.com/post/gegard-mousasi-says-hes-headed-to-the-ufc-and-can-beat-anybody#)Share on hyves (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&winname=addthis&pub=ra-4e5d6dc0131fd5d8&source=tbx-250,wpp-261&lng=nl&s=hyves&u508=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffcfighter.com%2Fpost%2Fgegard-mousasi-says-hes-headed-to-the-ufc-and-can-beat-anybody&title=Gegard%20Mousasi%20Says%20He%E2%80%99s%20Hea ded%20to%20the%20UFC%20and%20%E2%80%9CCan%20Beat%2 0Anybody%E2%80%9D&ate=AT-ra-4e5d6dc0131fd5d8/-/-/50ad539b52c635fb/2/50ab870dded3ec30&frommenu=1&uid=50ab870dded3ec30&ufbl=1&ct=1&pre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherdog.net%2Fforums%2Ff61%2F video-mike-kyle-confirms-strikeforce-fight-against-gegard-mousasi-jan-12-a-2273849%2Findex2.html&tt=0&captcha_provider=nucaptcha)

http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/02_Gegard_Mousasi-300x200.jpg (http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/02_Gegard_Mousasi.jpg)Former Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Gegard Mousasi says he's headed to the UFC. Photo credit: Esther Lin/Strikeforce

By Joshua Molina
The Armenian Assassin Gegard Mousasi said his return to the cage is imminent and that he expects he will soon fight in the UFC.
“If everything goes well, I will be headed to the UFC,” Mousasi told Full Contact Fighter, in an exclusive interview. Mousasi is currently in training, although he said he cannot yet disclose where and when he will be fighting next.
Mousasi said he will soon fly to Los Angeles from his home in Leider, Holland to continue training.
“I have a fight coming up soon, but I can’t say anything yet,” Mousasi said. “They will announce it.”
He said his camp is in negotiations with the UFC, so expect to see him fighting in the Octagon.
“UFC is the biggest organization, so everyone’s goal is to be in the UFC,” Mousasi said. “The best thing is for me to go to the UFC as soon as possible. The UFC is the biggest and, if you can make your name there, that is the goal.”
When and if he gets there he said he plans to fight as a light heavyweight and would like to battle Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.
“That would be a good fight,” Mousasi said. “That would be an exciting fight. He’s the kind of guy who likes to fight. I like to fight guys like him who come to fight instead of fight(ing) to win.”
If he loses, however, Mousasi said he would drop down to 185 pounds and fight as a middleweight, a weight class he believes he could dominate in.
“I am 100 percent positive about my abilities to beat anybody,” Mousasi said. “I don’t doubt myself I just have to have my priorities right. I know I can beat anybody.”
Mousasi has taken the long, tortured road to the UFC.
He injured himself while training for a fight against Mike Kyle in Strikeforce. While in training camp a guy shot for a takedown on him. He turned and felt his knee pop.
“It was swollen, but I gave it a two-week rest,” Mousasi said.
When it didn’t get better, he realized he had torn his ACL.
The injury came after Mousasi’s impressive victory over a hot Ovince St. Preux. The injury derailed Mousasi’s momentum and goal of recapturing his Strikeforce light heavyweight championship.
“It was very difficult for me to sit and do nothing,” Mousasi said. “I don’t have any sponsors and, without fighting, I don’t have income.”
Mousasi, 27, was born in Iran to Armenian parents. His family moved to Holland when he was a boy. At 8 years old, Mousasi’s father took Gegard to a judo class and the young man fell in love with the sport. Today, he has a black belt in judo.
“When I was younger I did it because I wanted to be the best,” Mousasi said. “Now it is not just about the love of the sport. It is also about the money.”

http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/05_SOBRAL_VS_MOUSASI_6P1Y7558-300x200.jpg (http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/05_SOBRAL_VS_MOUSASI_6P1Y7558.jpg)Mousasi (left) seized the Strikeforce light heavyweight title from Renato "Babalu" Sobral (right) on Aug. 15, 2009.

Mousasi is already among the sport’s best. He is the former DREAM light heavyweight champion and Strikeforce light heavyweight champion.
While the name “Armenian Assassin,” is derived through the alliterative connection to his bloodline, he easily, and perhaps more appropriately could be called the “Silent Assassin.”
Mousasi is about as even-tempered and smooth in an MMA fight as a fighter could be.
He’s focused, calculated and rarely does he waste a punch or kick. Tiger-like in his offense, he’s cobra-like in his defense.
He can fight coiled up from his back and torment his opponents with as much fear and power as if he were on top. He once knocked out “Jacare” Souza with a wicked upkick from his back as Jacare was leaning clumsily over him looking to land a punch to the face.
Mousasi is one of those rare guys who makes fighting look easy and effortless. There’s no wild trash-talking inside the cage, or even a display of much of a personality.
He’s like the private investigator, no, more like the hit man, sitting next to you at the coffee shop, studying your every move as you sit naively sipping your morning coffee.
He’s watching and waiting, and you have no idea.
He’s that good, and, if he stays focused, could make a dramatic impact in the UFC.
“I don’t feel a lot before the fight or after the fight or during the fight,” Mousasi said. “I don’t have any emotion. I don’t feel a lot. I am a little bit numb.”
Mousasi was riding high on top of the sport until he stepped into the cage against Muhammad “King Mo” Lawal, a former Division II National Wrestling champion, in Nashville on April 17, 2010.
Not only will that night go down as the night that Strikeforce died on CBS because of a post-fight brawl between Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Jake Shields and company, but it is also the night that Mousasi temporarily lost his mojo.
Mousasi was simply unable to stop King Mo’s wrestling takedowns. Even though Mo was largely exhausted during the fight, he took Mousasi down at will and controlled him on the mat. Mousasi peppered Mo’s face with right and left hands from his back throughout the match, but it wasn’t enough to convince the judges that he was winning the fight.
At the end, King Mo’s left eye was swollen shut, but Mo only needed one good peeper to see the Strikeforce championship belt around his waist after upsetting Mousasi by unanimous decision.
The MMA world started to say that Mousasi was exposed. That his wrestling game was weak and that he was going to have a hard time reigning at the top of the sport if he can’t stop a wrestler’s takedown.
The criticism rattled Mousasi, who underneath the dark, warm, brooding eyes and lean muscular body, is somewhat of a humble man who takes criticism to heart.
What Mousasi learned from the defeat is that it isn’t enough to be good. He needs to be great and he needs to push himself in order to get there.
He was so successful at fighting that he didn’t train as well or as much as he could have to prepare for King Mo or someone like him.
“Training aspects were to blame in that fight,” Mousasi said. “It had to do with my mental attitude. I was not being pushed in training and I had a lack of sparring partners. I lived too much in a comfort zone and by making my own routines. It was going very easy in the past.”
Mousasi tasted gold and admiration from the world, and then spit it out. He knows better now and wants to resume his place as one of the best.
“Of course I want to go for a title, but a lot of people doubt me with my wrestling,” Mousasi said. “They will see that I have changed a lot of things in my training. The most important thing for me is to win my next couple of fights in an impressive way. My goal is to win and win impressively and then thing about a title shot.”
It’s hard to doubt that Mousasi won’t at least be competitive.
The truth is he’s never even been hurt in a fight. He’s never been rattled in training. Mousasi may have had trouble with his takedown defense, but he seems to have an invisible forcefield constantly protecting his face.
“I feel like I can lose a fight, but I can always protect myself,” Mousasi said, as surely as he knows his own name. “I don’t feel like I haven’t been caught very badly in a fight. I am confident that I can protect myself. That is something that has given my confidence. I am a careful fighter.”
Careful, yet dangerous. He’s 32-3, with 28 wins by either KO or submission. Besides King Mo, his two other losses came by armbar submission early in his career. Mousasi said he no longer will take his abilities for granted. He will train hard and train with the best.
Although he has many options, he said he’s considering training at the Glendale Fighting Club.
Mousasi believes that he’s going to shock a lot of people.
“Whatever happens I am looking for the belt,” Mousasi said. “This time I will do it correctly as far as sparring partners, trainers. I am expecting to be the best when I fight. There’s going to be a new fighter. If I perform badly it won’t be because of my training. Whatever it is, I will be 100 percent ready.”

Source: http://fcfighter.com/post/gegard-mousasi-says-hes-headed-to-the-ufc-and-can-beat-anybody

Leventdepevent
22-11-2012, 08:51
werd onderhand wel weer is tijd

Brainthief
22-11-2012, 12:51
GEGARD! mijn favo vechter by far.... een echte killer maar geen vuilbekkerij of haantjes gedrag.

Kemal
26-11-2012, 07:54
Middleweight champ Luke Rockhold out of Jan. 12 Strikeforce event

For an event entitled "Champions," Strikeforce's Jan. 12 event is apparently running out of them very quickly.

According to a report by The MMA Corner, Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold has suffered a wrist injury and has been forced to withdraw from the card.

Strikeforce and Showtime officials were unavailable for comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.com, and executives from both companies have yet to make an official announcement. However, sources close to the bout have indicated Rockhold is indeed a scratch.

Rockhold was expected to face Lorenz Larkin in the evening's main event. The bout was originally expected to serve as the co-headliner, but Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez was also forced to withdraw from the card, and the Rockhold-Larkin bout was elevated to headliner status.

Rockhold is unbeaten in Strikeforce and has defended his title twice since winning it against Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza. In January, he stopped Keith Jardine in the first round. And in July, in a long-awaited fight, he made relatively easy work of Tim Kennedy, winning by unanimous 49-46 scores.

Larkin was coming into the fight unbeaten off a dominant unanimous decision sweep of Robbie Lawler at "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy" in July. His unbeaten record comes with an asterisk of sorts, as he lost by second-round knockout to Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in January. But when Lawal tested positive for a banned steroid after the fight, the result was flipped to a no contest.

That bout was at light heavyweight. Against Lawler, Larkin made his middleweight debut and the win resulted in a quick title shot.

Rockhold and Larkin were also scheduled to meet in the co-main event of Strikeforce's planned Nov. 3 show in Oklahoma City, but that card was scrapped not long after Rockhold pulled out of the card, also due to a wrist injury.

That card also lost its main event, a heavyweight fight between Daniel Cormier and UFC crossover Frank Mir. The loss of the two marquee fights led to a Showtime decision to not broadcast the card, and then ultimately the Strikeforce cancellation of its second consecutive show.

The Jan. 12 event, which is expected to serve as the promotion's final card, is scheduled for Oklahoma City's Chesapeake Energy Arena. It's unknown what affect, if any, the potential loss of Melendez and Rockhold would have on the evening's plans.

Kemal
28-11-2012, 18:30
Jorge Masvidal replaces Gilbert Melendez against Pat Healy at Strikeforce in January

Pat Healy will be fighting on Strikeforce's Jan. 12 event, however, not for the promotion's lightweight title.

With Gilbert Melendez not healthy enough to defend his belt against "Bam Bam," Healy will now meet former title contender Jorge Masvidal at what is believed to be the promotion's final event. MMA Fighting confirmed the new fight with sources close to the event after MMA Junkie first reported it earlier this week.

Healy (28-16), who has been training in Hawaii with B.J. Penn lately, has won his last five fights in a row. He most recently defeated Mizuto Hirota via unanimous decision in July to earn the title shot. Healy vs. Melendez was originally scheduled for Sept. 29, however, a shoulder injury forced "El Nino" out of the bout. That same injury has sidelined him for the Jan. 12 event, as well.

Masvidal (23-7) got back on the winning track in July when he defeated Justin Wilcox via split decision. "Gamebred" lost a Strikeforce lightweight title fight to Melendez last December.

Also scheduled for Strikeforce's Jan. 12 event is Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine for the welterweight title, Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring and Gegard Mousasi vs. Mike Kyle.

The event, which will take place at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, will air on Showtime and Showtime Extreme.

ijsbier
29-11-2012, 00:41
goeie tegenstander, heb er alle vertrouwen in dat het nu wel goed komt

Kemal
29-11-2012, 07:53
Mousasi-Kyle, Couture-Noons official for January 'Strikeforce: Champions' card

Despite a pair of high-profile injuries – again – Strikeforce's next card continues to soldier on.

A pair of previously reported fights now are official for "Strikeforce: Champions" in January as former titleholder Gegard Mousasi (32-3-2 MMA, 3-1-1 SF) meets Mike Kyle (19-8-1 MMA, 3-3-1 SF) and Ryan Couture (5-1 MMA, 5-1 SF) takes on K.J. Noons (11-5 MMA, 3-3 SF).

Strikeforce officials on Wednesday announced the bookings.

"Strikeforce: Champions" takes place Jan. 12 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City with a main card airing on Showtime following prelims on Showtime Extreme.

The card, which has been reported to be Strikeforce's last, was expected to feature a lightweight title fight between Gilbert Melendez and Pat Healy in the main event and a co-feature middleweight title fight between Luke Rockhold and Lorenz Larkin. But both Melendez and Rockhold, who each pulled out of their previously booked Strikeforce title defenses with injuries, are still on the mend.

Mousasi and Kyle were booked to meet on three prior occasions, but none of the fights came together due to injuries. They're hoping the fourth time finally is the charm.

Kyle fights for the first time since a 33-second loss to Rafael Cavalcante in May, though "Feijao" failed a post-fight drug test and Kyle's loss was overturned to a no-contest. Prior to that, Kyle was on a 5-1 run, and the lone defeat came in a short-notice booking against heavyweight Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva.

Mousasi fights for the first time in more than a year due to an ACL injury. Most recently, the former DREAM and Strikeforce titleholder earned a decision victory over Ovince St. Preux. It moved him to 4-0-1 since losing his Strikeforce belt to Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in 2010.

Couture, son of UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, climbed another step on the lightweight ladder in his most recent Strikeforce appearance when he outpointed Joe Duarte at "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy." The win followed another decision over Conor Heun at "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey."

Following his win over Duarte, Couture said his ultimate goal was to earn a shot at the title.

Noons looks to redeem himself for a decision loss to ex-champ Josh Thomson at "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey," which reversed his course following an impressive decision over Billy Evangelista. The former EliteXC champ moved up to welterweight in hopes of capturing then-champ Nick Diaz's belt, but was outpointed after five grueling rounds. He then returned to his native lightweight class, where he hoped to challenge champ Gilbert Melendez, but was instead halted when he lost a decision to Jorge Masvidal.

The latest "Strikeforce: Champions" card now includes:

Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine - for welterweight title
Gegard Mousasi vs. Mike Kyle
Ryan Couture vs. K.J. Noons
Pat Healy vs. Jorge Masvidal*

Harrie Nak
29-11-2012, 10:45
Als Mousasi wint zal de UFC hem wel tegen de winnaar van Shogun vs. Gustaffson of Griffin vs. Davis zetten.

MRV
29-11-2012, 12:03
Als Mousasi wint zal de UFC hem wel tegen de winnaar van Shogun vs. Gustaffson of Griffin vs. Davis zetten.

Ik zou dan toch zeggen tegen de winnaar Griffin-Davis... Winnaar Shogun-Gustaffson lijkt mij (afhankelijk van de prestatie) akelig dichtbij een titleshot zitten. Ik zie overigens Davis lijkt mij overigens niet een fijne match up voor Gegard.

Pr00f
29-11-2012, 18:40
Wat een heerlijk eventje is dit geworden. Kijk er naar uit!

Kemal
29-11-2012, 19:36
Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino added to 'Strikeforce: Champions'
Strikeforce's final event will serve as Josh Barnett's final obligation to the promotion.

Sources close to the fighters today told MMAjunkie.com that Barnett (31-6 MMA, 2-1 SF) is targeted to meet fellow heavyweight Nandor Guelmino (11-3-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) on the Showtime-televised main card of "Strikeforce: Champions."

The event, which features prelims on Showtime Extreme, takes place Jan. 12 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.

It's expected to be Strikeforce's final event.

Barnett, 35, makes his return after a unanimous-decision setback to Daniel Cormier in the finals of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix, which took place in May.

The ex-UFC champ broke his hand in the first round of the five-round fight and was benched for several months as he recovered. Prior to meeting Cormier, he hadn't lost in six years over eight bouts.

Guelmino, 36, recently extended his current win streak to seven with a decision victory over Emil Zahariev at a fight card in Slovenia. The Austrian fighter has earned six of his 11 career wins by submission and three by knockout. Notably, he suffered a first-round TKO loss to ProElite vet Andreas Kraniotakes in 2009.

The latest "Strikeforce: Champions" card now includes:

Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino*
Pat Healy vs. Jorge Masvidal*

Kemal
29-11-2012, 20:34
Couture vs. Noons, Gracie vs. Smith added to Strikeforce in January

The pieces are coming together for what is believed to be Strikeforce's final card.

Ryan Couture vs. K.J. Noons and Roger Gracie vs. Anthony Smith have been added to the Jan. 12 card. The promotion officially announced the Couture vs. Noons tilt recently, while MMA Fighting confirmed the Gracie-Smith fight with sources close to the promotion after MMA Opinion first reported it Thursday.

It is unknown at this time whether the fights will air on the Showtime main card or the Showtime Extreme undercard.

Couture (5-1), the son of UFC Hall of Famer Randy, has won his last three fights in a row, while Noons (11-5) is coming off a loss to Josh Thomson in March.

Gracie (5-1) won his middleweight debut in August against Keith Jardine, while Smith (17-8) has also won his last three fights in a row.

Also scheduled for the event, which will take place at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, is Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine for the welterweight title, Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring, Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino and Gegard Mousasi vs. Mike Kyle.

Kemal
30-11-2012, 07:55
Lorenz Larkin vs. "Jacare" Souza added to Jan. 12 Strikeforce event

It turns out Lorenz Larkin will fight on Jan. 12 after all.

Just days after his fight with Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold fell out for a second time -- prompting Larkin to all but call Rockhold a faker on Twitter -- the company announced that Larkin will meet former champion Ronaldo "Jacare" da Souza on the Oklahoma City card.

Larkin, who fights out of Riverside, Calif., is 13-0 on his career (although that includes a loss which was later turned to a no-contest, after "King" Mo Lawal tested positive for steroids). The former light heavyweight won his 185-pound debut when he scored a decision win over veteran Robbie Lawler in July.

Souza (16-3, 1 no-contest), meanwhile, held the Strikeforce title in 2010-11 before losing to Rockhold. He's rebounded with wins in both of his fights since, including his 41-second knockout of Derek Brunson in San Diego on Aug. 18.

Kemal
30-11-2012, 08:00
Estevan Payan vs. Michael Bravo re-booked for January Strikeforce card

A lightweight bout between Estevan Payan (13-3 MMA, 1-0 SF) and Michael Bravo (7-3 MMA, 0-0 SF) is the latest addition to next month's Strikeforce event.

The fight booking is one that was made for the Nov. 3 card that was canceled. But the two fighters still will meet, just a little delayed from the original plan. Sources close to the fight on Thursday confirmed the news to MMAjunkie.com.

Strikeforce's next show, for now called "Strikeforce: Champions," but soon expected to be renamed "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine," takes place Jan. 12 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.

The main card airs on Showtime, and Showtime Extreme carries the prelims. Payan vs. Bravo will take place on the preliminary card, though given time constraints it is not guaranteed to be televised.

The card was dubbed "Champions" because it was expected to feature three title fights. But lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez and middleweight titleholder Luke Rockhold recently each pulled out, citing lingering injuries that also forced them off Strikeforce shows in September and earlier this month, respectively. Both of those shows ultimately were canceled.

Though not yet announced by promotion officials as the new title, "Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" is expected to be the final official name for the lone champ left on the card, headlining welterweight champion Nate Marquardt, who meets Tarec Saffiedine for the title.

Payan, a former Bellator and Shark Fights fighter, made his Strikeforce debut in January and picked up a unanimous-decision victory. It moved the Arizona Combat Sports fighter's current undefeated run to seven fights (6-0 with one no contest). Three of the six wins have come by knockout.

Bravo, meanwhile, will make his promotional debut while in search of his fourth straight win. The San Diego-based fighter has posted knockouts in all seven of his pro victories. Bravo, who makes his big-show debut, earned his most recent one in May over Nolan Sules.

The latest "Strikeforce: Champions" card includes:

Lorenz Larkin vs. Ronaldo Souza
Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino*
Pat Healy vs. Jorge Masvidal
Roger Gracie vs. Anthony Smith
Tim Kennedy vs. Trevor Smith
Michael Bravo vs. Estevan Payan*

sprAe
30-11-2012, 11:21
Allemaal interessante partijen. Echt een zieke card dit!!!

smike
30-11-2012, 15:22
Mooie card om het mee af te sluiten!

jammer van die blessures, maar daar heb je als organisatie geen invloed op.
Ze doen er in ieder geval alles aan om het een waardig laatste evenement te laten worden!

Kemal
30-11-2012, 21:18
Gurgel-Martins latest addition to 'Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine'

A lightweight bout between Jorge Gurgel (14-8 MMA, 2-3 SF) and Adriano Martins (23-6 MMA, 0-0 SF) is the latest addition to Strikeforce's return in January.

Strikeforce officials recently announced the new contest, which will be part of the preliminary card of "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine."

That card, which also has undergone a title change from "Strikeforce: Champions," will take place Jan. 12 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. Main-card fights, including the welterweight title fight between champ Nate Marquardt and top contender Tarec Saffiedine, will air on Showtime. Prelims will air on Showtime Extreme.

Gurgel will be back for the first time since an August 2011 loss to Joe Duarte in the headlining bout of Strikeforce Challengers 18. The seven-time UFC veteran and Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt is just 1-3 in his past four fights, with the lone victory coming with a 44-second submission of 11th-hour replacement Billy Vaughan in his home state of Ohio in March 2011.

Gurgel had been booked to meet Mizuto Hirota on Strikeforce's planned card for September in Sacramento, but that card was canceled. Now Gurgel gets a new opponent for the January show.

Martins makes his Strikeforce debut and comes into the bout on a four-fight win streak, including three straight first-round stoppages. The Brazilian has won 10 of his past 11 with the lone setback coming against the UFC's Francisco Trinaldo. Martins has 11 of his 23 career victories by knockout.

With the addition to the card, the "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" lineup now includes:

Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine
Lorenz Larkin vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza
Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino
Pat Healy vs. Jorge Masvidal
Ryan Couture vs. KJ Noons
Jorge Gurgel vs. Adriano Martins
Michael Bravo vs. Estevan Payan

Kemal
01-12-2012, 08:00
Strikeforce's Josh Barnett believes return to UFC would silence some critics

Josh Barnett doesn't care whether his opponent is from Austria or Middle-earth.

After six months of waiting and recovering, Barnett (31-6 MMA, 2-1 SF) is happy that Nandor Guelmino (11-3-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) agreed to meet him at "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine," which takes place Jan. 12 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.

"All my friends are like, 'Nandor … is he an ork? Is he from Mordor?'" Barnett told MMAjunkie. "I don't know about that, but either way, he's going to try and mess me up."

And Barnett, who in May broke his hand against Daniel Cormier in the finals of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix, is tasked with taking the fight seriously – even if the bulk of serious MMA fans may not.

Despite a seven-fight win streak, Guelmino instantly was derided as a subpar opponent for Barnett, whose resume includes a UFC heavyweight championship and laundry list of top-tier competition.

"I think the biggest danger is that he's an unknown quantity, and of all things, I don't beat him spectacularly, regardless of how good he really is, the perception could be that I'm slipping or I'm not as good as people thought," Barnett said. "All the onus lands on me."

Barnett knows next to nothing about Guelmino, other than his Hobbit-like name and penchant for wearing dragon-emblazoned pants in competition, but plans to become an expert in the coming weeks.

The study comes at an uncertain time in his career and for those fighting at the Jan. 12 event, which is expected to be the last in Strikeforce's six-year run in MMA promotion.

"Unfortunately, it's really terrible, because I've now set foot in so many different organizations that all up and folded shop," Barnett said. "It stinks. I hate being in that position. But I'm here to fight and to crush skulls and step over broken bodies. There's always an opportunity for that, somewhere, someplace.

"In the UFC, I know there's plenty of guys over there that would be happy if I never set foot in that octagon. But if it's not there, I know there will be other places. There's always people itching for a fight. That's where I come in."

Landing in the UFC or in another upstart promotion isn't of major concern to Barnett, but he said there are journalists and fans he'd like to prove wrong by returning to the octagon.

"I would love to see the look on some folks' faces ... being someplace where, one, I've already been, even though people may not know it, and two, a place that a lot of folks never thought they'd see me again," he said.

Barnett fought five times in the UFC and took the heavyweight title from Randy Couture at UFC 36. He was later stripped of the belt after testing positive for steroids. He went on to win the open-weight title in the Japanese promotion Pancrase and became a star in PRIDE, which was acquired by UFC parent company Zuffa in 2007.

Barnett globe-hopped for the next few years, fighting on three different continents before signing with Strikeforce in 2011. Prior to his setback against Cormier, which was widely praised by MMA fans, he had won eight straight fights.

News of Strikeforce's imminent shuttering didn't surprise Barnett, who has seen four previous promotional homes go belly up, but the recent decision to allow women's fights in the UFC did. He gave credit to former women's MMA star Gina Carano for breaking down barriers in the world's biggest fight promotion and said rivalry between Ronda Rousey and Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos came at a fortuitous time in the sport.

Whether beating Guelmino is Barnett's lucky ticket remains to be seen.

"I'm not the one that finds the opponents," he said. "I'm just a guy who goes out there and beats the crap out of them.

"Now that I've got a face and a name, no matter how tacky their pants, I've got something to focus on."

Son & Breugel!
08-12-2012, 16:25
DION STARING IS A MAN WHO ANSWERS WHEN OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS

by Dave Herbert (http://buddhasport.com/users/titaniumrhino)I 3 days 11 hours agoSource: Buddhasport (http://www.buddhasport.com/)

http://buddhasport.s3.amazonaws.com/styles/content_featured/s3/field/image/DionStaring.jpg

Every once in a while an opportunity comes along for a fighter making his way to the big time that could potentially rocket him there overnight. For Dutch soldier Dion Staring (http://www.blackzilians.com/fighters/25/25/Dion-Staring.html) (28-7-0), the newest member of the Blackzilians (http://www.blackzilians.com/), that opportunity comes in the form of HW Grand Prix tournament winner Daniel Cormier.
Cormier was all set to face Frank Mir early last month but the injury gods ensured that Mir would not be ready for battle come fight time and so yet another event was scrapped. Strikeforce officials scrambled to find a replacement and even after the cancellation, still had a lack of success in finding someone to face the well rounded Olympian. That is until Staring's name came up.
Being a longtime friend, teammate and sparring partner of former Strikeforce title holder Alistair Overeem (http://www.blackzilians.com/fighters/2/25/Alistair-Overeem.html), it's easy to see how the former Golden Glory member landed at Imperial Athletics in Boca Raton, FL to prepare with Alistair and the rest of the Blackzilians (http://www.blackzilians.com/) for his upcoming duel with Cormier.
Former UFC light-heavyweight champ Rashad Evans (http://www.blackzilians.com/fighters/3/25/Rashad-Evans.html) is one of the founding members of the team and has just signed to fight the younger of the Noguiera brothers, Rogerio at UFC 156 (http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC156). Having been defeated at the hands of Rogerio years prior, Staring lends a critical eye to Evans' preparation for the fight as does Overeem who defeated Rogerio in both of their encounters in Pride.
The man also known as The Soldier opens the veil for a small glimpse inside his new life with the Blackzilian family. In this Buddhasport exclusive Staring talks about his improvement in the company of his new teammates, fighting in front of Dana White, what it means to be apart of the last Strikeforce event and stepping up to the challenge that is Daniel Cormier.
Dave Herbert: What was your first thought when you picked up the phone and heard the Strikeforce heavyweight champ's name mentioned?
Dion Staring: I was thrilled! I like to be challenged and fighting a top-ranked heavyweight is an opportunity I have to take advantage of. This is my chance to showcase my skills on the big stage, so I’m very happy for this opportunity.
DH: Being that this is also your Strikeforce debut, how does it feel to be fighting on the last Strikeforce card ever?
Staring: It has two sides. On one hand it’s sad that Strikeforce is not continuing as an organization as I still believe it would be nice to fight more than once here. Having two brands under one roof had so many benefits. Fighters who were cut from the UFC were able to work their way up again in Strikeforce and vice-versa, fighters that came up in Strikeforce could ultimately end up in UFC. The only positive side is that because it’s going to be the last event it will be a memorable event. I’m excited to know that I’ll be a part of history.
DH: Do you feel this fight should be for the Strikeforce HW title?
Staring: It doesn't matter anyway, it's going to be the last show and I'm not thinking about that. Alistair is the title holder and Daniel Cormier is the tournament titleholder.
DH: Do you have any insight as to why this fight is not for the championship?
Staring: Before the tournament they decided that the winner of that tournament would be crowned tournament winner and not belt holder. I'm making my debut for the promotion so I understand it would be strange to let me fight for the belt and because it will be there last show anyways what's the point.
DH: Dana White will be in attendance watching closely. Win or lose, are you looking to make an impression on him in this fight?
Staring: Yes, my biggest dream is to fight in the UFC and having this fight brings me one step closer to the UFC. I want to impress the fans and it would be cool to impress Dana in the process. When Strikeforce ends I want to join the UFC roster so I have to put my best performance out there. I know Dana White is not only looking for fighters with wins, he’s looking for fighters that entertain and show heart and determination. I believe I have those things and I’m going to prove it in January.
DH: Knowing Dana will be there watching, does that add any extra pressure?
Staring: Not really. I’m a professional fighter with over 35 fights so it would be silly to feel pressure because Mr. White is in the audience. If I want to be in the UFC I’ll have to get used to it anyway. He’s always in attendance at his own shows. So it motivates me that he will be watching the fight live.
DH: Cormier has proven himself to be well rounded in his last few fights. Without giving too much strategy away, do you see any weakness or holes?
Staring: He’s a very strong and dangerous fighter both standing and on the ground, so it would be stupid to talk about any weakness or holes in his game. But I believe every fighter is beatable. I can say for sure that if he does make an error, it will be costly.
DH: To my knowledge, you have never fought a wrestler of this Olympic caliber. What steps are you taking in this training camp to ensure you are prepared to deal with his wrestling?
Staring: I’m training very hard with some of the best coaches in the world at JACO Hybrid Training Center. I’m preparing for a highly competitive fight. As we all know this won’t be a wrestling match. Just let me say that my training camp is progressing perfectly. I’m working with all sorts of fighters including top wrestlers, so I’m prepared.
DH: As of now, Cormier is a shoe-in to the UFC as a top contender. Where do you feel a win over him puts you?
Staring: I think a win over Cormier would change my odds completely but that’s not crazy to think. If you beat the number one you should be the number one but let’s take it one step at a time and not get carried way. I want to fight in the UFC that’s my ultimate goal so fighting someone the UFC considers to be at the top of the division is my best chance to end up there I think.
DH: You have been training with the Blackzilians down in Florida. How much would you say you have improved since beginning your training with the elite level of guys down there? Are you working often with Rashad on your wrestling or with Mario Sperry on your BJJ?
Staring: My improvement compared to my old training experience is too big to explain. I’m used to training in Holland where there are not many sparring partners and where the training is much more focused on striking as our roots lay there. Now that I’m training with the Blackzilians I have all aspects of MMA at my fingertips. Beside that, I’m training with light-heavyweights and heavyweights at the same time so that helps as well.
DH: Who are your favorite sparring/rolling partners?
Staring: We have a great group of fighters so I can’t name them all but Alistair Overeem is the one that took me to Florida. We have a history together. We are both from Holland so we have a special bond. But I like to work with anyone that can make me better.
DH: Who do you see winning the rematch between Cain Velasquez and current Champ Junior Dos Santos?
Staring: That’s a difficult one. I don’t like to make predictions but honestly I think this one lays about 50/50. Although JDS won their first fight pretty quickly and easily, I think this fight is going to be much different and much more exciting.
DH: Anyone you wish gives thanks to on this public forum?
Staring: I would like to thank Glenn Robinson, my whole team, The Blackzilians, JACO Clothing. I would especially like to thank my wife, who has been very supportive and sacrificed a lot to support my being a professional athlete and being away from home so much.

Kemal
23-12-2012, 08:40
Jorge Masvidal scratches from 'Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine'

A back injury has forced Jorge Masvidal (23-7 MMA, 5-1 SF) out of next month's planned bout with fellow lightweight Pat Healy (28-16 MMA, 6-1 SF) at "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine."

Sources close to the fighter today confirmed the withdrawal with MMAjunkie.

Although the organization has made no official announcement, a replacement likely will be sought.

The event, which is Strikeforce's final one, takes place Jan. 12 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. Masvidal vs. Healy was expected to be the featured bout on the night's preliminary card, which airs on Showtime Extreme prior to the Showtime-televised main card.

MMAjunkie first reported the Masvidal vs. Healy bout this past month. Healy initially was slated to fight lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez, who was forced off the card with an injury of his own.

Masvidal had recently returned to the win column with a decision victory over Justin Wilcox. The American Top Team product fell short in his previous bout, a December 2011 bid for Melendez's lightweight title that ended in a unanimous-decision win for the champ.

Masvidal was set to fight Bobby Green at a Strikeforce event planned for Nov. 3, but the show was canceled due to injury withdrawals.

The latest card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Showtime, 10 p.m. ET)
Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine
Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino
Mike Kyle vs. Gegard Mousasi
Ed Herman vs. Ronaldo Souza

PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme, 8 p.m. ET)
Pat Healy vs. TBA
Ryan Couture vs. KJ Noons

PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised, 7 p.m. ET)
Jorge Gurgel vs. Adriano Martins
Michael Bravo vs. Estevan Payan

K-1sunstarr
23-12-2012, 13:45
Wat een card; met Tarec Saffiedine, één van mijn favo.

http://youtu.be/pEaZ2KZKj74

Ger Maan
24-12-2012, 15:27
Mike Kyle vindt het onbegrijpelijk dat hij de underdog is. Hij stelt dat hij op ieder aspect de betere vechter is en dat Mousasi eigenlijk alleen tegen pannenkoeken heeft gevochten.

Wordt een leuk gevecht denk ik met 2 vechters die beide hun toekomst in de UFC zien.

“I can’t see [Mousasi] beating me in any aspect and I can’t believe I’m the underdog here. I can’t believe people are picking him over me so I’m out to prove a point that I’m a top contender when it’s all said and done.

“Mousasi is a good fighter but who has he fought? He fought [Ovince St-Preux] and he went three rounds with him, that was his toughest fight. He fought “Babalu” who was at the end of his career so he really hasn’t fought anybody really tough.”

“He beat a lot of those little Japanese fighters but he hasn’t beaten anyone really impressive. The toughest fighter he faced was “King Mo” and [Mousasi] just laid on his back and kept pulling guard so we’ve never really seen him get hit.”

“Sokoudjou is a good exciting fighter but everybody knows that Sokoudjou stops in two minutes of the first round and he gets gassed. Everybody knows that I would destroy Sokoudjou so I don’t think they’re giving me enough credit here.”

http://www.bjpenn.com/exclusive-mike-kyle-i-cant-believe-im-the-underdog-against-mousasi/

Kemal
03-01-2013, 09:17
Pat Healy faces unbeaten prospect Kurt Holobaugh in Strikeforce finale

It took a while, but Pat Healy finally has an opponent for Strikeforce's swan song.

"Bam Bam" will meet undefeated prospect Kurt Holobaugh (9-0) on the Jan. 12 Strikeforce card in Oklahoma City, OK, according to sources close to the fight. MMAWeekly first reported the booking Wednesday.

Healy draws Holobaugh after he was first scheduled to meet champion Gilbert Melendez and then Jorge Masvidal on the card.

Both lightweights pulled out of the bout due to respective injuries. In fact, a Healy vs. Melendez fight has been scrapped twice in recent months, as they were initially supposed to fight on Sept. 29 before a Melendez shoulder injury sidelined the champion.

The MMA veteran Healy (28-16) has won his last five fights in a row. He most recently defeated Mizuto Hirota via unanimous decision in July.

Holobaugh, 26, is 9-0 after going 8-0 in his amateur career. He made headlines earlier this year when he fought (and eventually won) on his wedding day.

The lightweight fight is expected to air on the Showtime Extreme portion of the card, which will take place at the Chesapeake Energy Arena.

Kemal
08-01-2013, 08:51
Strikeforce's Gegard Mousasi motivated for shot at UFC title

Gegard Mousasi (32-3-2 MMA, 3-1-1 SF) knows there are no guarantees that he's heading to the UFC, but if he gets there, the 27-year-old intends on fighting for a title.

"I feel like I have the potential to be a UFC champion," Mousasi told MMAjunkie.com. "I'm training like it, and with time I'm going to prove people wrong. I just need to fight big names and win."

Hardcore fans have had Mousasi on their radar for years. Casual fans might not be as well acquainted with his work, but Mousasi is technically the reigning DREAM light heavyweight champion (though the future of that promotion is anything but certain) and was the Strikeforce 205-pound title holder until he was defeated by Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in April 2010.

Since that time, Mousasi looked rather unimpressive in a win over Ovince St. Preux and a draw with Keith Jardine and was then forced to the sidelines for the entirety of 2012. In many ways, the former top-ranked fighter became a forgotten man.

Mousasi said he doesn't take offense to anyone who has started to doubt his skills.

"I don't mind," Mousasi said. "I don't think about proving anything to anybody."

But he has thought about proving something to himself. Mousasi admits a 2006 loss to Akihiro Gono impacted his enthusiasm for competition, and the 2010 result against Lawal brought him even lower.

"After the Gono fight, I lost a lot of motivation, but that was a long time ago," Mousasi said. "Since then, things were going very well. I picked up the motivation and things were going good. But after the 'King Mo' fight, I was very disappointed. I think I lacked even more motivation."

But a year away from the sport changed all that. Mousasi said he missed the competition and the time away strengthened his focus in the gym.

"I think it was good to have a break," Mousasi said. "I wasn't motivated in my past few fights, so I'm trying to see it in a positive way. Now I'm ready. I'm training hard, and I'm in great shape.

"My conditioning is where it should be, and it wasn't in my previous fights. I believe I was training in a comfort zone, and everything was going well. But now I'm good. I think the one-year layoff did it. And of course the possibility of going to the UFC."

Standing in his way is Mike Kyle (19-8-1 MMA, 2-3-1 SF), a gritty veteran with heavy hands and a nasty disposition. The two face off on Saturday on the Showtime-broadcast main card of Saturday's "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" event, which takes place at Oklahoma City's Chesapeake Energy Arena.

The event serves as the final fight card for Strikeforce, which has already started to cede some of its talent to the UFC. With a victory, Mousasi would seem to be a certainty for the octagon.

While he doesn't want to look past the task at hand, Mousasi is excited about the potential of fighting in the world's largest MMA promotion. And if/when he gets there, Mousasi isn't interested in taking a slow ride to the top.

"I've got Mike Kyle now, and that's the main focus, but if I go to UFC, I want to fight big names," Mousasi said. "Anyone in the top 10 would be good.

"Seeing the UFC as big as it is and knowing it's the biggest stage, people have always wondered if I could fight this guy and beat that guy, and this is an opportunity to prove myself against the best fighters. It's a good challenge, and I like that. I think the timing is also perfect now for me to go to the UFC. I feel I'm more mature now and I'm training better. I'm more professional, so I think the timing is also correct."

At an incredible 19-1-1 in his past 21 appearances and with an impressive career record full of knockouts and submissions, it's hard to argue with Mousasi's credentials. A few subpar appearances have soured some pundits on his potential, but Mousasi believes Saturday night is his time to make a statement, and then it's on to bigger challenges.

"I feel like if I use my whole potential, I could be a contender," Mousasi said. "I could win the title. I believe in myself, and I've been training very hard. I know I can get the belt, and that's motivating. Back then, I wasn't in the UFC, and every fight was just another fight. There wasn't any motivation to get better. A UFC title means a lot."

"People can count me out, but I always believe in my ability to win a fight. You don't need to win by points. I always believe one punch or one good submission can get the job done. In my fights, I always know I can win the fights, so I don't worry about whether people think I would do well or not. I think maybe two or three wins, and I can get there. I've only lost one fight in my past 21 fights. I don't know why I shouldn't be a contender with a couple of good wins."

Kemal
11-01-2013, 08:00
Gegard Mousasi and the frustration of ‘overrated’

Maybe Gegard Mousasi used to care, back when the noise was at its loudest. Back when he pillaged through DREAM's middleweight grand prix then effortlessly seized his Strikeforce light heavyweight title. Maybe he cared when people began to whisper of a mini-Fedor, an emotionless machine of destruction hailing from the Netherlands, whose reign seemed inevitable.
Maybe he cared about the opinions because that's what you do when you're young in the fight game; when you don't know any better, and all this hype seems like it'll last forever. But that's the thing. It never does. Success breeds public unrest, and it often takes just one moment of weakness for an aura of invincibility to be ripped away. Perhaps Mousasi used to listen to the critics back then, but he no longer does. Two years of marginalization will do that to a man.

"Maybe [because I was overseas]," Mousasi mulls, his thick accent hardly hiding his frustration. "I don't know. I see some fighters lose very badly, but still they get more praise or they're not overrated. They're just good fighters in a lot of people's eyes. But I feel like one loss with King Mo, it made me a very bad fighter somehow.

"When I first fought in the U.S., there was a lot of attention. And then after that loss, there wasn't actually that much interest. I see now, it's experience. I get [more] mature. I understand now things how work."

Catch Mousasi in the right mood, and the date pops up in conversation more than often than not. April 17, 2010, Strikeforce Nashville. One night that will forever live in infamy, if only for an inane brawl on network television and the first uttering of the phrase, "Sometimes these things happen in MMA." But for Mousasi, the memory signifies something else entirely.

It's the night he got exposed, according to the noisemakers. The night a 2-to-1 underdog, Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal, exploited a fatal flaw in his game, outwrestled him for 25 minutes, snapped a 15-fight win streak, and kickstarted a narrative that still lives strong. Though it's that last part that hurts the most.

Yes, to call Mousasi's performance against Lawal listless would be generous. At times he looked as bored and indifferent as a man fighting off unrelenting takedown attempts in a cagefight could conceivably look. But once word spread that Mousasi was, how to say, motivationally challenged, there was no going back. Over the ensuing few years, his stock plateaued, and the narrative became somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Fights, which were once special to him, became simply a means to an end. "I felt I accomplished my goals," Mousasi admits. "I won in DREAM. I got the belt in Strikeforce.

"You're a top contender, and [suddenly] you are just a fighter, basically fighting just to fight. I understand how things go. It can go very fast. It comes fast and it goes fast."

So understand that when Mousasi calls the knee injury that sidelined him for all of 2012 a positive, he actually means it, even if it may be the first time in the history of professional sports a knee injury could be described as such. Sure, it was difficult to do little for a year besides sleep, rehab, and get lost in his own thoughts. But the world changed in a mighty way while he was out.

"This is the time to be more professional," Mousasi vows. "And that's what I'm doing now. I feel like I have a lot of potential, and I feel like I can beat anybody.

"The prospect of going to the UFC and maybe fighting one day for the belt, it's motivating. It's something new. So every fight I see now is more important to me because I have a goal, going for the UFC belt."

Mousasi bowed out of 2011 with little motivation, languishing in a floundering promotion and half-heartedly committing to his training. Now things are quite different. Strikeforce has days to live. The prospect of competing against the best in the UFC has changed every aspect of Mousasi's regimen. His mind is refocused and he has rededicated himself to his craft. No longer surrounded by enablers, Mousasi has immersed himself in the first real training camp of his career, and is eyeing a move to the United States to train in California following his bout against Mike Kyle at Strikeforce's farewell event. And yes, he swears to have drilled takedown defense until his body was past the point of exhaustion.

Put everything together, and there is a fire in Mousasi's voice that hasn't been there in some time. "I have it in the back of my head," he measuredly explains. "This fight is a very important fight. It's a very important fight for my future and career.

"I see a lot of fighters getting knocked out, but they still, they praise them a lot more than me. I haven't been beaten badly in any fight. I just lost one fight in, I don't know how many fights. I think people underestimate me. And I feel like now, with the good training I have, why shouldn't I be able to fight these UFC fighters?"

Mousasi admits it's tough not to look ahead when such a colossal opportunity is so close. If he had his wish, he'd fight Shogun Rua, Forrest Griffin, Lyoto Machida, or Alexander Gustafsson for his Octagon debut, though really anyone in the top-10 would suffice. Mousasi knows he's small for the division -- he walks around barely above 210 pounds -- but he's confident his technique, speed and conditioning will neutralize any weight advantage his opponents may have. And if things don't pan out like they should, Mousasi would be open to a move down to middleweight.

But things will pan out, he's sure of it. He can feel it. For too long his critics have thrown around that damnable word. Overrated. Everything has built to this moment. And now it all begins with Kyle. "I'm almost to my goal," he promises.

"This is the time. If I don't do it now, maybe I won't get a second chance. I feel like everything is falling into its place."

el bastardo
11-01-2013, 21:59
Iemand een link voor de weigh ins? Volgens Dion beginnen ze om 23u Ned tijd...

co0per
11-01-2013, 22:19
Zou hier moeten zijn http://www.ustream.tv/shosports

thijss
12-01-2013, 00:02
Thnx, weigh ins beginnen nu..

Ralph
12-01-2013, 00:16
Dion heeft er zin in! 240 lbs vs 230 lbs voor Cormier. Niet verwacht dat Dion zwaarder zou zijn.

lukashenko
12-01-2013, 01:02
ik vind het echt jammer dat mousasi zo in de wachtrij is gestopt
hij is een echte topper die beter verdient hij hoort gewoon in de ufc thuis.
ik heb toch wel erg zin in deze laatste strikeforce kaart .
echt zonde dat zuffa deze kweekvijver zo heeft verkracht

123trisweat
12-01-2013, 01:34
lijkt Mousasi nu "kleiner" dan voorheen m.n. ze armen lijken minder spier te hebben

lukashenko
12-01-2013, 01:56
lijkt Mousasi nu "kleiner" dan voorheen m.n. ze armen lijken minder spier te hebben
mousasi was volgens mij aan het aankomen om een zwaargewicht te worden ik denk dat die aspiraties zijn weggezakt.
ik denk dat hij middleweight wel kan halen als ie goed aftraint en veel kan behalen op dat gewicht .
ik ben in ieder geval weer erg blij hem weer in actie te zien ik was altijd wel een fan van hem

123trisweat
12-01-2013, 01:59
mousasi was volgens mij aan het aankomen om een zwaargewicht te worden ik denk dat die aspiraties zijn weggezakt.
ik denk dat hij middleweight wel kan halen als ie goed aftraint en veel kan behalen op dat gewicht .
ik ben in ieder geval weer erg blij hem weer in actie te zien ik was altijd wel een fan van hem
o ja, da's waar ook.

heb er ook zin in. Hoop op een mooie pot voor Mousasi

co0per
12-01-2013, 03:09
http://www2.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/20130111035110_IMG_0328.JPG

Wow, die kan zo meedoen als extra in The Walking Dead.

K-1sunstarr
12-01-2013, 04:14
Hoe laat Nederlandse tijd begint het precies.

K-1sunstarr
12-01-2013, 04:17
Dion is er klaar voor, heeft niks te verliezen.
War Dion.

Kemal
12-01-2013, 08:19
The full "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" weigh-in results:

Champ Nate Marquardt (170) vs. Tarec Saffiedine (170)
Daniel Cormier (230) vs. Dion Staring (240)
Josh Barnett (249) vs. Nandor Guelmino (229)
Mike Kyle (205) vs. Gegard Mousasi (205.5)
Ed Herman (193) vs. Ronaldo Souza (193.25) - 194-pound catchweight

Pat Healy (156) vs. Kurt Holobaugh (156)
Roger Gracie (186) vs. Anthony Smith (186)
Tim Kennedy (186) vs. Trevor Smith (186)
Ryan Couture (155.5) vs. KJ Noons (156)

Jorge Gurgel (155) vs. Adriano Martins (155.5)
Michael Bravo (156) vs. Estevan Payan (156)

Kemal
12-01-2013, 08:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNq593gL4J8&feature=player_detailpage

Kemal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Eilec6Vvrwg

Kemal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap8XYOnUVSQ&feature=player_detailpage

Kemal
12-01-2013, 08:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n71gcPjvWQ&feature=player_detailpage

Kemal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gMXcCvoFSlQ

Kemal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KD_-1qSJ18&feature=player_detailpage

Richelieu
12-01-2013, 09:05
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/46110_562471153782125_6046000_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/542151_562471113782129_377283202_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/542018_562471260448781_1513706115_n.jpg

Harrie Nak
12-01-2013, 10:00
Dion heeft er zin in! 240 lbs vs 230 lbs voor Cormier. Niet verwacht dat Dion zwaarder zou zijn.Cormier is sinds zijn vorige twee partijen (ik geloof 248 lbs en 238 lbs) nu naar 230 lbs gegaan. Nog even wat minder mayo en ijs eten, en hij is een normale LHW (waarvan de meesten geloof ik met +/- 220 lbs rondlopen).

Lionheart
12-01-2013, 13:13
Cormier oogde heel relaxed! Top om te zien!

Bromios
12-01-2013, 14:15
Oh wat hoop ik toch dat beiden zichzelf echt vet in de kijker vechten.

Asura
12-01-2013, 16:15
The full "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" weigh-in results:

Champ Nate Marquardt (170) vs. Tarec Saffiedine (170)
Daniel Cormier (230) vs. Dion Staring (240)
Josh Barnett (249) vs. Nandor Guelmino (229)
Mike Kyle (205) vs. Gegard Mousasi (205.5)
Ed Herman (193) vs. Ronaldo Souza (193.25) - 194-pound catchweight

Pat Healy (156) vs. Kurt Holobaugh (156)
Roger Gracie (186) vs. Anthony Smith (186)
Tim Kennedy (186) vs. Trevor Smith (186)
Ryan Couture (155.5) vs. KJ Noons (156)

Jorge Gurgel (155) vs. Adriano Martins (155.5)
Michael Bravo (156) vs. Estevan Payan (156)

Dit word genieten. Bijna elke partij voorspelt volop actie, mooie subs of ko's.

WAR Jacare, Mousasi, Roger, Noons, Kennedy, Barnett, Cormier, Marquardt!

simtekf1
12-01-2013, 17:51
Hoe laat begint het vanavond?
Enne, iemand toevallig een streampje? :D

Son & Breugel!
12-01-2013, 18:03
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/boxing-wwe-ufc.html

Zuffa LLC
12-01-2013, 18:09
Cormier is sinds zijn vorige twee partijen (ik geloof 248 lbs en 238 lbs) nu naar 230 lbs gegaan. Nog even wat minder mayo en ijs eten, en hij is een normale LHW (waarvan de meesten geloof ik met +/- 220 lbs rondlopen).

tegen antonio was die inderdaad tegen de 250 en nu zit die al op 230. die gaat dus echt nog een keer tegen mir vechten en dan naar LHW... kan niet anders, hij is ook trouwens wel genoodzaakt nu velasquez de titel terug heeft

Pahlavan
12-01-2013, 20:13
tegen antonio was die inderdaad tegen de 250 en nu zit die al op 230. die gaat dus echt nog een keer tegen mir vechten en dan naar LHW... kan niet anders, hij is ook trouwens wel genoodzaakt nu velasquez de titel terug heeft

hij heeft idd ook al aangegeven dat hij graag tegen jon jones wilt vechten dus denk dat hij binnenkort naar 205 gaat

ijsbier
12-01-2013, 20:35
Hoe laat begint het vanavond?
Enne, iemand toevallig een streampje? :D

1 u vanacht

T15Boxing
12-01-2013, 22:12
Ik ben best zenuwachtig voor Mousasi. Ik heb het gevoel dat dit het meest belangrijke gevecht van zijn carriere zal worden want iedereen van Zuffa kijkt mee. Win via finish en hij zal bijna zeker in de UFC belanden.

Trouwens komt hier de spoiler discussie of een aparte thread?

Asura
13-01-2013, 03:03
Chatroom
http://us10.chatzy.com/15327470040763

Naj85
13-01-2013, 04:54
denk dat dit de spoiler thread moet worden uiteindelijk?
intussen kunnen we verder lullen in de chatroom