PDA

View Full Version : Seven-time UFC veteran Mark Hominick retires

Kemal
12-12-2012, 17:49
Ten-year MMA veteran Mark Hominick (20-12 MMA, 3-4 UFC) has competed for the last time.

The 30-year-old Canadian and Shawn Tompkins protege announced on Tuesday's new edition of FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" that he's hanging up the gloves in favor of chasing other options.

"I truly got to live my passion and follow my dreams by competing in mixed martial arts, especially under the Zuffa banner, but UFC 154, that's the last fight I'll be in the octagon, as I'm retiring and looking to move on to the next phase of my career," Hominick said.

Hominick actually made his UFC in March 2006, when he claimed a submission win over Yves Edwards. He returned in June of that year with a decision win over Jorge Gurgel.

Hominick then transitioned to the WEC, where he fought five times before returning to the UFC octagon.

The high point of Hominick's UFC career came at April 2011's UFC 129 event, where he fought valiantly in front of a Canadian crowd during a failed title bid against UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo. Despite sporting a massive hematoma, Hominick pushed until the final bell, and a UFC record 55,724 fans rose to their feet in appreciation of his effort.

The decision loss was the last time he would step in to the cage with his longtome trainer and friend Tompkins, who passed away unexpectedly in August 2011.

Hominick returned to action at December 2011's UFC 140, but a reckless attack led to a stunning seven-second loss to Chan Sung Jung. Hominick would go on to drop decision losses to Pablo Garza and Eddie Yagin and finish his career on a disappointing four-fight losing streak. "The Machine" said a commitment to family helped drive his decision.

"As a family, I have young daughter," Hominick said. "I have another daughter on the way, and I think that's the next phase of my life. I need to put focus into that."

Hominick didn't reveal what he would do next, but he insisted that MMA will remain a focus in his life.

"I'm always going to be involved in the sport," Hominick said. "This is my passion. This is what fuels me."

Ronald
12-12-2012, 20:08
Jammer, leuke vechter om in actie te zien. Aan de andere kant geloof ik niet dat z'n laatste partijen nou zo gezond voor 'm waren als ik me goed herinner, dus misschien wel verstandig besluit.