PDA

View Full Version : Dion Staring: When it rains it pours

Kemal
04-01-2013, 18:03
Dion "The Soldier" Staring is going to face one of his biggest challenges on January 12 in Oklahoma. He's facing top ranked Daniel Cormier in what will be the very last Strikeforce event in history. Cormier, who has already signed a new deal with the UFC, is considered one of the most promising talents in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts. He recently announced that after his fight with Dion, he will drop down in weight and fight as a light heavyweight fighter to avoid fighting his training partner and friend Cain Velasquez, who just reclaimed the UFC heavyweight title at UFC 155.

Staring, who's pretty known in the European MMA circuit, was waiting for his big break to fight on the big stage in the US. His teammate, Alistair Overeem, who left Holland to move to America invited him to come and train with the Blackzilians. Everything looked good for Dion as he was offered a contract to fight in Strikeforce as a light heavyweight. He adjusted his training and diet and was ready to fight Mike Kyle on September 29. Then he got news that the whole event was canceled due to the fact that the main event fighter Melendez got injured. It was the first writing on the wall that Dion was going to miss his big break. Then he got the phone call that Frank Mir was out of the Daniel Cormier fight which was supposed to be November 3. The UFC asked him to be his replacement. Dion did not hesitate and said yes.

When it rains it pours. Strikeforce then had to cancel its November 3 event. All the hard training and time away from his family and his wife, who he had just wed was basically for nothing. It looked like Dion would not get his big break any time soon. Until he finally got the call that they where going to make the Cormier fight happen in January. Although Dion was very happy to get that chance, the news that it would be the last Strikeforce event that made it bittersweet.
Dion who has faced adversity in this ordeal stays positive and still believes his time will come.

We asked him some questions;

How do you remain positive when you had to deal with all that drama?

"My dream was always to fight in the UFC, so when I signed for Strikeforce it was for me being one step closer to my ultimate dream. I knew if I would win my fights at Strikeforce I might get my chance in the UFC. Now I'm facing a fighter who's already signed with the UFC and is considered one of the best heavyweights in the world. So if I win, it will bring me one step closer to the UFC. It might be a shortcut in the road to get there but it's also the hardest road to get there."

A lot of people are not giving you any chance in this fight. How do you feel about that?

"Well I can understand why Cormier has some great wins under his belt and has never lost, but it's still a fight, that's the beauty of the sport. I honestly believe I have a chance in this fight, otherwise I wouldn't take it. It will be a hard fight for sure, but I love challenges and being able to fight the top of the world is just an honor. I train with Alistair on a daily basis and his motto "Kill yourself in training so you don't die fighting." That's exactly what I'm doing every day in the gym so I'm more than ready to go to war.

How is training with the Blackzilians?

"It's great, I was used to training in Holland where the facilities are not as good as in the States. If I walk in the gym I see so many professional athletes and trainers - it's crazy. My training has improved so much and the guidance I get from my management is so professional. I'm very proud to be part of the Blackzilians."

Why did you take such a big fight?

"I was waiting all my life to fight on a main-card in a big show and unfortunately it's not the UFC ,but it's an historical event anyway as it's the last Strikeforce show and being part of history in MMA is pretty awesome. I still hope my biggest dream will come through and that's to fight in the Octagon. That's the only reason why I left the military, is to purse my dream to be on the UFC roster.

Anything you want to say?

"I would like to thank all the Blackzilians everbody at Authentic Sports Management and a big thanks to my beautiful wife who understands my dream and passion. She accepts that I'm away from home to chase my dream. I lover her so much, and I will fight my heart out for her and all my people back home in Holland. Old Soldiers Never Die!

bron: blackzilians.com

Rverm
04-01-2013, 21:25
Dion is een karaktervechter, gun hem nog vele mooie partijen! Hoop dat hij kan stunten!

de Stiep
05-01-2013, 18:28
Ooooooooooo man. Ik hoop zo dat Dion deze partij wint. Die gozer is echt ECHT goed, maar het zit hem verdulleme altijd tegen. Ik hoop echt dat hij nu eens de wind mee heeft en op het hoogste podium (UFC) kan laten zien wat hij waard is. Dion, wat er ook gebeurt, altijd fan geweest en zal dit altijd blijven ! :thup:

Tony
05-01-2013, 19:47
dion is een baas

liefhebber
05-01-2013, 20:03
dion is een baas

met alle respect, ik gun het Dion van harte maar is dit niet meteen een maatje te groot voor het begin in de US?

blade
05-01-2013, 20:32
met alle respect, ik gun het Dion van harte maar is dit niet meteen een maatje te groot voor het begin in de US?

tja mischien wel maar goed hij heeft wel meer ervaring in het mma gebeuren komt er nog bij als die verliest hem dat dan niet zullen aanrekenen ivb zijn tegenstander en als die wint zet die zich eigen op de kaart dus het is een win win situatie in mijn ogen

Wheelie
05-01-2013, 20:44

Hij heeft niks te verliezen

05-01-2013, 21:24
Dion heeft inderdaad niets te verliezen. Maar wil hij nog serieus iets bereiken heeft hij veel te winnen. ik vind Dion een toffe gozer met de nodige MMA skills. Maar een UFC cariere zit er volgens mij niet meer in. als hij verliest al helemaal niet meer. Hij is al behoorlijk op leeftijd om in de UFC te starten. Ook vind ik hem niet tot de absolute top behoren. Ik gun hem als persoon zeker een kans, ook sluit ik niet uit dat hij nog wat leuke partijen kan draaien. Maar we zullen zien! In het MMA kan het soms raar lopen:-)

Zuffa LLC
06-01-2013, 00:40
Wat hoop ik op een upset zeg!! Zeker het omdat het nou juist Dion is en Cormier. Ik vind Dion zo'n toffe peer, geweldige kerel is dat zeg en een geweldig vechtershart en goede mentaliteit en altijd zo veel pech, Cormier daarintegen heeft alles mee en vind ik persoonlijk op dit moment overschat. hij behoort tot de top5 HW volgens alle rankings en sommige zien in hem al de beste HW vechter. Hij kan zeker goed worstelen en heeft een gevaarlijke punch maar ik vind het wel voor de rest meevallen eigenlijk. ik wil hem wel nog een keer antonio silva zien verslaan, ik denk niet dat die weer wint. ik zie cormier ook niet werdum,overeem of JDS pakken. Dion moet normaal gesproken geen probleem zijn voor hem laten we daar eerlijk over zijn maar er zijn de laatste jaren zoveel upsets geweest in de mma, laat deze dat dan ook zijn, ik hoop het voor hem. mocht die cormier verslaan gaat die zowiezo de UFC in, althans dat lijkt me wel......

MMAFAN-1122
06-01-2013, 09:39
Wat hoop ik op een upset zeg!! Zeker het omdat het nou juist Dion is en Cormier. Ik vind Dion zo'n toffe peer, geweldige kerel is dat zeg en een geweldig vechtershart en goede mentaliteit en altijd zo veel pech, Cormier daarintegen heeft alles mee en vind ik persoonlijk op dit moment overschat. hij behoort tot de top5 HW volgens alle rankings en sommige zien in hem al de beste HW vechter. Hij kan zeker goed worstelen en heeft een gevaarlijke punch maar ik vind het wel voor de rest meevallen eigenlijk. ik wil hem wel nog een keer antonio silva zien verslaan, ik denk niet dat die weer wint. ik zie cormier ook niet werdum,overeem of JDS pakken. Dion moet normaal gesproken geen probleem zijn voor hem laten we daar eerlijk over zijn maar er zijn de laatste jaren zoveel upsets geweest in de mma, laat deze dat dan ook zijn, ik hoop het voor hem. mocht die cormier verslaan gaat die zowiezo de UFC in, althans dat lijkt me wel......

Ik denk dat Dion het zeker 3 ronden volhoud en mogelijk verliest op punten maar wel zichzelf in de UFC vecht!!

KO.YOU.FOOL
06-01-2013, 11:12
Weer een Nederlandse strijder tegen een Amerikaanse topper!! Schitterend! In Amerika hebben ze natuurlijk nog nooit van Staring gehoord, het zou mooi zijn als hij een ijzersterke indruk achterlaat en dat zijn naam niet meer zullen vergeten!!

Ellen
06-01-2013, 12:48
De gun factor heeft Dion sowieso! Zet m op!!

Garcia
06-01-2013, 13:14
Dion heeft niets te verliezen, en als hij zich kan concentreren niet niet zenuwachtig wordt van zo'n grote show dan heeft hij zeker een kans!

Lionheart
06-01-2013, 16:19
Dion is een topper, maar Cormier maakt het in 1 ronde af.

The Company
06-01-2013, 17:45
Als Dion Starring dit wint is het gelijk de grootste upset van het jaar.

Ik hoop erop maar ik denk dat hij weinig kans maakt.

Zuffa LLC
06-01-2013, 22:52
Als Dion Starring dit wint is het gelijk de grootste upset van het jaar.

Ik hoop erop maar ik denk dat hij weinig kans maakt.

zeker!, maar je weet het nooit, stiekem geloof ik er zelfs in en ik herken Dion hier niet eens in terug. die is echt een stuk harder gaan trainen!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/282326_460216197364937_32175744_n.jpg

The Bulldog
07-01-2013, 15:32
Gewoon vette kans voor Dion. Gun het hem van harte ..gezien leeftijd is dit DE kans die hij nodig heeft...

Upset als ie wint ...ja....ondenkbaar? ...neuhhh

Draaide tegen Nog ook bijna volle partij.... en dat terwijl hij nu fulltime bezig is...en met blackzillians o.a. ...

Sterkte Dion! O enne veel plezier in de kooi.

Naj85
09-01-2013, 02:10
Cormier opens as 20-1 favorite over Staring at Strikeforce
source: twitter.com (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/)

Shaun Al-Shatti ‏@shaunalshatti
Wow. Daniel Cormier opens as a -2000, I repeat, -2000 favorite over Dion Staring. Not quite the same as Frank Mir, is it?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/435358/Cormier-opens-as-20-1-favorite-over-Staring-at-Strikeforce/

Wiseguy
09-01-2013, 10:28
Zijn die odds een nieuw record?

The Company
09-01-2013, 11:35
Zijn die odds een nieuw record?

Weet dat Chad Mendes net zo'n grote favoriet was tegen Cody Mckenzie maar verder kan geen recente partij herinneren waar de odds zo laag/hoog waren.

Goolings
09-01-2013, 11:43
Cormier neemt Dion Staring serieus..gezien dit interview : http://sports.yahoo.com/news/daniel-cormier-dion-staring-dangerous-145818259--mma.html

Voor Dion zeker een opsteker en respect van zijn komende tegenstander.

Bromios
09-01-2013, 13:01
Heel verstandig van Cormier. Want onderschatting is vragen om problemen.
Dion heeft niks te verliezen hier.

edit: Ik heb het gelezen; Hij heeft werkelijk geen idee waarom Dion hier voor is uitgekozen. Hij gaat dus een partijtje klappen krijgen waar hij bang van wordt.

Niek-S
09-01-2013, 22:39
Heel verstandig van Cormier. Want onderschatting is vragen om problemen.
Dion heeft niks te verliezen hier.

edit: Ik heb het gelezen; Hij heeft werkelijk geen idee waarom Dion hier voor is uitgekozen. Hij gaat dus een partijtje klappen krijgen waar hij bang van wordt.

Dus cormier denkt dat et niks voorstelt??

cholitzu
09-01-2013, 22:48
Dus cormier denkt dat et niks voorstelt??

volgens mij niet.

Daniel Cormier: Dion Staring is Dangerous Because He Said Yes When So Many Others Said No

The last few months for Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier (http://www.mmaweekly.com/tag/daniel-cormier) have been filled with disappointment and displeasure because no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't get a fight. Cormier was originally scheduled to meet former UFC champion Frank Mir (http://www.mmaweekly.com/tag/frank-mir) in November for his final fight in Strikeforce in what should have been a very interesting crossover match-up. Unfortunately, Mir suffered an injury and had to drop off the card.
Offers then went out to two more UFC heavyweights – Cheick Kongo (http://www.mmaweekly.com/tag/cheick-kongo) and Matt Mitrione – and both turned down the short-notice fight with Cormier. Not long after that the entire card was scrapped.
So when Cormier finally got the call for a fight on Jan. 12 he was elated and it really didn't matter to him who the opponent was, he just wanted to get back in action. Admittedly, there was a look of confusion on just about everybody's face when the name on the other end of the bout agreement was journeyman fighter and Strikeforce newcomer Dion Staring.
A mainstay of primarily European fight cards, Staring is a 34-year-old Dutch competitor who literally came out of nowhere to sign up for the fight against Cormier.
Staring will enter the night as a huge underdog with just about the world picking against him, but Cormier is approaching this match-up with a whole other idea of what he's about to face in the cage. Dion Staring said yes when a list of other top fighters, including two UFC heavyweights, said thanks, but no thanks.
“No one expected it to be Dion, but that's what makes Dion such a dangerous opponent. Because where as all these other guys said ‘no' for whatever reason – Matt (Mitrione) said it was because of his wrestling, it's not good enough and that's my biggest strength, I don't know why Cheick Kongo said no, Frank Mir got hurt – but what makes Dion so dangerous is he probably said yes right away,” Cormier told MMAWeekly Radio (http://www.mmaweekly.com/radio) recently.
“It took no convincing. They offered this guy the fight and he said yes. In his mind there's a belief somewhere that he can beat me.”
That personal belief could make Staring a very dangerous opponent because he enters this fight with absolutely nothing to lose.
Staring isn't a fighter who has been biting and scratching and clawing just to hopefully one day get a shot in the UFC, or even reach the pinnacle of Strikeforce before now. He was just a fighter who was making a living fighting, but now he could pull off one of the biggest upsets in MMA history if he can beat Cormier.
The former two-time Olympian is well aware of what Staring brings to the table, and how he's the most dangerous of opponents because no one expects him to win.
Meanwhile, everybody is already talking about Cormier fighting in the UFC, facing Frank Mir next, and possibly challenging UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones in the future.
Looking past any opponent can be a big mistake and that's something Cormier refuses to do, but beyond just winning, he wants to win big. Cormier wants to go to the UFC with a one-sided victory over Staring because if he can't put him away or somehow has to squeak out a split decision, it will seem like a loss.
“I have a responsibility to myself and my team to actually do what I'm supposed to do, and do it in a way that I don't hurt myself in the process. There's many ways I can actually go into this fight and come out losing even if I don't necessarily lose,” said Cormier.
“I've got to go out there and do what I'm supposed to do, but do it in a way that I expect and like my coaches and team expect. I've got to go in there and perform. There's a lot of ways to lose without actually losing.”
Losing isn't an option for Daniel Cormier and he hasn't experienced it yet in his MMA career. He doesn't plan to start on Jan. 12, and he doesn't intend on Dion Staring getting the best of him in any way, shape or form.

blade
10-01-2013, 00:24
denk dat het ook niet voor niks is dat die tegen Dion staat ze gaan er toch van uit dat het een makkie voor hem wordt.altijd lullig dat die door stroomt naar de UFC met een nederlaag achter zijn naam maar hoop toch dat Dion wint en um op zijn nummer zet dat zou mijn dag goed maken iig

Tykill
10-01-2013, 10:48
Ik denk dat Dion niet snel genoeg is en misschien wat explosieve kracht mist. Toch hoop ik op een grote overwinning voor Dion. Als je dit leest. KNALLEN!

Brainthief
10-01-2013, 12:29
Volgens mij heeft Dion geen kans....

Ik zag een partij tegen 1 of andere pool...Dion had 0,0 takedown defence :(

Ik hoop natuurlijk op winst voor STaring :)

Bromios
10-01-2013, 13:31
Volgens mij heeft Dion geen kans....

Ik zag een partij tegen 1 of andere pool...Dion had 0,0 takedown defence :(

Ik hoop natuurlijk op winst voor STaring :)

Was een partij uit 2008 of zo. Kun je weinig van zeggen.
Hij heeft wel een vrij groot gedeelte van zijn wins uit submissions gehaald. en of dat nou zo slim is tegen een worstelaar weet ik niet.

Maar hij zit inmiddels een jaartje in de USA dus ik verwacht wel dat hij wat geleerd heeft. Ipv 3 x per week anderhalf uur met matige tegenstanders sparren doet hij nu 2x per dag met de best of de best dus ik geloof er wel in.