PDA

View Full Version : Koreaanse Road FC promoter over Dream, Glory en JMMA

RedDawn
07-01-2013, 17:02
Road FC CEO Mun Hong Jung is somber over de toekomest van JMMA.

Japanese Mixed Martials Art’s influence on the domestic Korean Mixed Martial Arts scene was immense. Although the American UFC is at the forefront of MMA now, that is just the current times. Even just a few years ago Korean fans were enthusiastic for Japanese MMA, of course all the domestic fighter’s dreams were also to fight in either Pride or K-1.

To be honest if one was to look at the larger picture, JMMA was instrumental to the development of Korean MMA and in that aspect South Korea should be thankful for Japan. Because of Japan’s close proximity to South Korea it was possible to spread MMA quickly. It is also true that by Korean organizations chasing Japanese organizations, the domestic MMA scene evolved.

Also many Japanese organizations recruited Korean fighters, which in turn helped domestic fighters improve their skills. For fighters to improve, fighting internationally is important. 90 percent of domestic athlete’s international experience came from fighting in Japan.

Even when I was a MMA fighter my goal was to compete in a major JMMA organization. I still remember that my dream was to fight in Japan. For a while I even trained in gyms in Japan.

This great JMMA scene that we once fantasized about participating in is now in shambles and in a pitiful state. I have heard many times that JMMA is dying, and despite the fact I am a CEO of an MMA organization I can agree with this sentiment. And now after personally attending the GLORY/DREAM NYE event I can almost feel in my bones the hardships JMMA is facing.

Basically, I have with my ones eyes seen the collapse of Japanese Mixed Martial Arts.

Japanese NYE MMA events are a symbolic and long tradition. It has over 10 years of history; you can even argue it is less an MMA event but a festival. NYE events in Japan are where the world’s greatest and most famous fighters come to compete. It was always televised live and would sometimes even garner the most TV viewerships in Japan.

And because of these reasons I thought no matter how much the JMMA scene is struggling the NYE event would be an exception. Also I knew that relatively famous MMA fighters, and famous K-1 fighters would be participating. I remembered how impressed and in awe I was when I had attended a previous NYE event a few years ago, so I waited with much anticipation for the start of the GLORY/DREAM NYE show.

But once it started I was in a state of disbelief. First thing that I noticed was how empty the arena was. I am sure the TV editors knew this, hence you could not see this on TV but the third floor of the arena was pretty much completely empty, while the second floor was at the most half filled. I thought to myself, “Has this ever happened before for a NYE event in the Saitama Super Area”. How dire was the JMMA scene when the biggest MMA event of the year in Japan was like this? Honestly, the amount of people there was comparable to a popular ROAD FC event.

Another aspect I was shocked by were the Japanese officials. One example would be one of DREAM’s most important figures; executive producer Keiichi Sasahara. This once powerful figure in JMMA was now no different from an intern. He was literally ticketing people at the VIP entrance. That was a really shocking moment for me.

Also onae of DREAM’s organizers, REAL ENTERTAINMENT’s President Kato, was running around sweating and clutching the microphone trying to get everything organized. Because we have someone with that job position at ROAD FC, I knew exactly what was going on. He was trying to make sure there would be no disruptions or mistakes in the tournament. He looked incredibly stressed and haggard.

Amidst all this the young 35 year old GLORY representative was sitting down comfortably. I began to feel sad and bitter about this situation. Not only was this event funded by foreign funds but also the once powerful Japanese MMA figureheads were working like they were a bunch of interns. I then noticed DEEP’s Saeki and PANCRASE’s Masakazu Sakai sitting down looking devastated.

Although this was a “co-promotion” between GLORY and DREAM, in actuality DREAM was just used as an opening for the GLORY kickboxing tournament. It seemed they were just trying to fill up time so the GLORY kickboxing portion would be ready for the American/European broadcast. It was obvious that GLORY thought the DREAM portion of the event would garner attention for the kickboxing portion. But it was an utter failure. A lot of Japanese fans left right after the end of the DREAM portion.

DREAM was revived by GLORY but there is no news that they will open up another show any time soon. The reality is that they do not have the funds to support another non-profitable show. You can basically just see this as reviving an already dead organization in DREAM for the sake of the GLORY tournament.

Also after meeting with the organizers from GLORY; I learned that unlike what many think GLORY has no interest in doing any MMA shows in Japan. It dawned on me that because of the current JMMA market there was really no financial benefit for them. They promised to do a fighter exchange with ROAD FC. I could sense they had a positive view of ROAD FC.

After seeing all this, I became certain that there is no possible way that the UFC can be responsible in regards to Asian MMA. The UFC is even more business oriented than GLORY. If the UFC opens up two or tree events in Asia and does not earn much profit they will just leave Asia. These orgs who only look after their own financial interest instead of the actual development of Asian MMA will not care to open up any more shows after seeing a deficit in their profits.

Even 2-3 years ago I heard about the hardships of JMMA, but nowadays it has just become common knowledge. After having a meeting with all the important figures of JMMA, I am now especially sure of this. They told me with their own mouths that I need to give opportunities to young Japanese fighters and that I must look beyond Korea and Japan to lead all of Asian MMA.

CMA’s Morioka is someone I am really thankful for. He somehow remembered me from 10 years ago. After hearing that I had come to Japan he called me asking why I didn’t call and requested to meet for a meal. We had a good conversation talking about this and that. He explained to me that Japan was in too difficult of a situation for MMA to ever recover domestically and that it was now my responsibility to lead MMA in Asia. He especially stressed that I needed to give opportunities to the young Japanese fighters that he looked on almost as his own children.

I also met with the newly appointed CEO of PANCRASE, Masakazu Sakai. He had requested several meetings with me before and we finally had an opportunity to meet face to face. He wanted to have a fighters exchange with ROAD FC. He suggested opening up an all Asian Cup tournament in South Korea.

I told him that ROAD FC was planning a global expansion next year and we eventually agreed on a bilateral relationship where we would exchange our fighters. I thought doing this in a Young Guns-ROAD FC formant would be a good fit. I felt from Sakai a strong commitment to fixing the current problems plaguing JMMA. Although I believe it will be difficult.

In all, I was happy that so many different organizations had a positive evaluation of ROAD FC and that everyone was so hospitable to me. But mostly, I was depressed at witnessing the current Japanese Mixed Martial Arts scene. I began to understand that I have to think of not only South Korea but also all of Asia. It is not that I am so great or anything, it just seems I am now forcibly thrust into this position.

If no superstar arises the future of Asian MMA is dark. In addition, if there are no dramatic changes in the infrastructure of MMA in Asia in 2-3 years the UFC will take over and eventually wipe out Asian MMA. I already said this but I will repeat it, although the UFC will open up shows in Asia, if they do not benefit financially quickly, the will either neglect Asia or just leave. They have no interests in truly investing in Asia long term.

Although I want to reveal what is in store for ROAD FC in 2013, I also know I need to be careful not to reveal too much. The biggest goal is to open up a ROAD FC show that will make the world pay attention. Another goal is to create a system where not only established stars can fight but where prospects can flourish.

rollermanskunk
07-01-2013, 17:47
Road FC CEO Mun Hong Jung is somber over de toekomest van JMMA.

Japanese Mixed Martials Art’s influence on the domestic Korean Mixed Martial Arts scene was immense. Although the American UFC is at the forefront of MMA now, that is just the current times. Even just a few years ago Korean fans were enthusiastic for Japanese MMA, of course all the domestic fighter’s dreams were also to fight in either Pride or K-1.

To be honest if one was to look at the larger picture, JMMA was instrumental to the development of Korean MMA and in that aspect South Korea should be thankful for Japan. Because of Japan’s close proximity to South Korea it was possible to spread MMA quickly. It is also true that by Korean organizations chasing Japanese organizations, the domestic MMA scene evolved.

Also many Japanese organizations recruited Korean fighters, which in turn helped domestic fighters improve their skills. For fighters to improve, fighting internationally is important. 90 percent of domestic athlete’s international experience came from fighting in Japan.

Even when I was a MMA fighter my goal was to compete in a major JMMA organization. I still remember that my dream was to fight in Japan. For a while I even trained in gyms in Japan.

This great JMMA scene that we once fantasized about participating in is now in shambles and in a pitiful state. I have heard many times that JMMA is dying, and despite the fact I am a CEO of an MMA organization I can agree with this sentiment. And now after personally attending the GLORY/DREAM NYE event I can almost feel in my bones the hardships JMMA is facing.

Basically, I have with my ones eyes seen the collapse of Japanese Mixed Martial Arts.

Japanese NYE MMA events are a symbolic and long tradition. It has over 10 years of history; you can even argue it is less an MMA event but a festival. NYE events in Japan are where the world’s greatest and most famous fighters come to compete. It was always televised live and would sometimes even garner the most TV viewerships in Japan.

And because of these reasons I thought no matter how much the JMMA scene is struggling the NYE event would be an exception. Also I knew that relatively famous MMA fighters, and famous K-1 fighters would be participating. I remembered how impressed and in awe I was when I had attended a previous NYE event a few years ago, so I waited with much anticipation for the start of the GLORY/DREAM NYE show.

But once it started I was in a state of disbelief. First thing that I noticed was how empty the arena was. I am sure the TV editors knew this, hence you could not see this on TV but the third floor of the arena was pretty much completely empty, while the second floor was at the most half filled. I thought to myself, “Has this ever happened before for a NYE event in the Saitama Super Area”. How dire was the JMMA scene when the biggest MMA event of the year in Japan was like this? Honestly, the amount of people there was comparable to a popular ROAD FC event.

Another aspect I was shocked by were the Japanese officials. One example would be one of DREAM’s most important figures; executive producer Keiichi Sasahara. This once powerful figure in JMMA was now no different from an intern. He was literally ticketing people at the VIP entrance. That was a really shocking moment for me.

Also onae of DREAM’s organizers, REAL ENTERTAINMENT’s President Kato, was running around sweating and clutching the microphone trying to get everything organized. Because we have someone with that job position at ROAD FC, I knew exactly what was going on. He was trying to make sure there would be no disruptions or mistakes in the tournament. He looked incredibly stressed and haggard.

Amidst all this the young 35 year old GLORY representative was sitting down comfortably. I began to feel sad and bitter about this situation. Not only was this event funded by foreign funds but also the once powerful Japanese MMA figureheads were working like they were a bunch of interns. I then noticed DEEP’s Saeki and PANCRASE’s Masakazu Sakai sitting down looking devastated.

Although this was a “co-promotion” between GLORY and DREAM, in actuality DREAM was just used as an opening for the GLORY kickboxing tournament. It seemed they were just trying to fill up time so the GLORY kickboxing portion would be ready for the American/European broadcast. It was obvious that GLORY thought the DREAM portion of the event would garner attention for the kickboxing portion. But it was an utter failure. A lot of Japanese fans left right after the end of the DREAM portion.

DREAM was revived by GLORY but there is no news that they will open up another show any time soon. The reality is that they do not have the funds to support another non-profitable show. You can basically just see this as reviving an already dead organization in DREAM for the sake of the GLORY tournament.

Also after meeting with the organizers from GLORY; I learned that unlike what many think GLORY has no interest in doing any MMA shows in Japan. It dawned on me that because of the current JMMA market there was really no financial benefit for them. They promised to do a fighter exchange with ROAD FC. I could sense they had a positive view of ROAD FC.

After seeing all this, I became certain that there is no possible way that the UFC can be responsible in regards to Asian MMA. The UFC is even more business oriented than GLORY. If the UFC opens up two or tree events in Asia and does not earn much profit they will just leave Asia. These orgs who only look after their own financial interest instead of the actual development of Asian MMA will not care to open up any more shows after seeing a deficit in their profits.

Even 2-3 years ago I heard about the hardships of JMMA, but nowadays it has just become common knowledge. After having a meeting with all the important figures of JMMA, I am now especially sure of this. They told me with their own mouths that I need to give opportunities to young Japanese fighters and that I must look beyond Korea and Japan to lead all of Asian MMA.

CMA’s Morioka is someone I am really thankful for. He somehow remembered me from 10 years ago. After hearing that I had come to Japan he called me asking why I didn’t call and requested to meet for a meal. We had a good conversation talking about this and that. He explained to me that Japan was in too difficult of a situation for MMA to ever recover domestically and that it was now my responsibility to lead MMA in Asia. He especially stressed that I needed to give opportunities to the young Japanese fighters that he looked on almost as his own children.

I also met with the newly appointed CEO of PANCRASE, Masakazu Sakai. He had requested several meetings with me before and we finally had an opportunity to meet face to face. He wanted to have a fighters exchange with ROAD FC. He suggested opening up an all Asian Cup tournament in South Korea.

I told him that ROAD FC was planning a global expansion next year and we eventually agreed on a bilateral relationship where we would exchange our fighters. I thought doing this in a Young Guns-ROAD FC formant would be a good fit. I felt from Sakai a strong commitment to fixing the current problems plaguing JMMA. Although I believe it will be difficult.

In all, I was happy that so many different organizations had a positive evaluation of ROAD FC and that everyone was so hospitable to me. But mostly, I was depressed at witnessing the current Japanese Mixed Martial Arts scene. I began to understand that I have to think of not only South Korea but also all of Asia. It is not that I am so great or anything, it just seems I am now forcibly thrust into this position.

If no superstar arises the future of Asian MMA is dark. In addition, if there are no dramatic changes in the infrastructure of MMA in Asia in 2-3 years the UFC will take over and eventually wipe out Asian MMA. I already said this but I will repeat it, although the UFC will open up shows in Asia, if they do not benefit financially quickly, the will either neglect Asia or just leave. They have no interests in truly investing in Asia long term.

Although I want to reveal what is in store for ROAD FC in 2013, I also know I need to be careful not to reveal too much. The biggest goal is to open up a ROAD FC show that will make the world pay attention. Another goal is to create a system where not only established stars can fight but where prospects can flourish.

Wat een gelul van die gast. Er waren 23.000 kaarten beschikbaar voor de NYE-show en er waren 19.000 kaarten verkocht. De Saitana Super Arena heeft bij een maximale setting een capaciteit van 37.000 zitplaatsen Dat de 3e ring leeg was is logisch omdat die niet in de voorverkoop was. Het zat gewoon bijna vol.

Dat die Dream-gasten de longen uit hun lijf hebben gelopen lijkt me logisch (het was hun laatste kans) en volgens mij was de Dream show een redelijk succes. JMMA ligt trouwens al een paar jaar op z'n gat door mismanagement en een tekort aan Japanse talenten. Dat door Glory's Dream-overname de Japanse zieltjes zijn geraakt kon je natuurlijk wel verwachten. Het stuk is 1 brok frustratie van een promotor die z'n zaakjes niet op orde heeft dit in tegenstelling tot bijvoorbeeld Victor Cui van OneFC die z'n zaakjes wel op orde heeft.