PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hughes officially retires, takes executive position with Zuffa

Kemal
25-01-2013, 06:47
After several months of uncertainty about the future of Matt Hughes, UFC President Dana White today announced the UFC Hall of Famer and ex-welterweight champ's official retirement.

Hughes (45-9 MMA, 18-6 UFC) will segue into a position with UFC parent company Zuffa as vice president of athlete development and government relations, White said.

"I love this sport, and the new position is the best way for me to stay in it moving forward," Hughes said in a brief statement today at a press conference in support of UFC on FOX 6.

White praised the two-time champion's loyalty to the UFC over 12 years with Zuffa.

"There were always a few guys that I knew I could count on, and Matt Hughes was one of those guys," he said.

Hughes leaves the octagon with an 18-6 record. He is tied with current welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre for most successful title defenses (7) and holds the record for most title fights in the UFC welterweight division (12).

Hughes' new role in athlete development came about after a survey of major sporting leagues, said UFC chief counsel Lawrence Epstein. Those that classified athletes as independent contractors utilized the position to mentor athletes and steer them away from decisions that could reflect poorly on them and the league.

"Matt Hughes' record not only as an individual, but a fighter, is second to none," Epstein said. "He's always held himself to the highest ethical standards."

In August, White said he wanted Hughes to retire and was battling the fighter over the decision.

"It's so hard for these guys to say, 'I'm retired.' It's so hard," White said.

Four months later, Hughes said he didn't want to call it quits, but would be open to the type of post-career position given to ex-champ Chuck Liddell, who was named the UFC's Vice President of Business Development after hanging up his gloves.

Still, Hughes said his competitive flame had not died out.

"You look at the last two Hall of Famers that retired, Chuck and Randy (Couture) – and even Royce (Gracie) – they walked out with losses," Hughes said. "I really don't want to do that.

"In a perfect world, I go out on top with my hand raised, and I'm done."

Hughes' most recent appearances ended in knockout losses. He was stopped in 21 seconds by ex-champ B.J. Penn at UFC 123 and inside a round against Josh Koscheck at UFC 135 in September 2011. Calls for his retirement increased, but he remained noncommittal.

A dominant force in the early days of the Zuffa-owned UFC, Hughes won his first welterweight title at UFC 34 and defended his belt five times before ceding it to Penn at UFC 46. He won the title back at UFC 50 by submitting Georges St-Pierre, then lost it to him at UFC 65. He went 4-4 inside the octagon afterward.

Sato
25-01-2013, 13:24
"Matt Hughes' record not only as an individual, but a fighter, is second to none," Epstein said. "He's always held himself to the highest ethical standards."

Jammer dat hij gestopt is, ik vind het leuk voor hem dat hij wel een rol blijft spelen bij Zuffa. Het is een goede gast zonder al te veel kapsones ik denk dat zijn functie die hij krijgt wel goed bij hem past.

appelsap
25-01-2013, 14:49
Jammer dat hij gestopt is, ik vind het leuk voor hem dat hij wel een rol blijft spelen bij Zuffa. Het is een goede gast zonder al te veel kapsones ik denk dat zijn functie die hij krijgt wel goed bij hem past.

Zonder al te veel kapsones?
Heb hem twee keer kort meegemaakt tijdens de UFC en het was de meest arrogante en vervelende van alle vechters/begeleiders.
Goede zaak dat de UFC de iconen bij de sport houdt. Kan niet beoordelen wat de toegevoegde waarde van Chuck (vp business development...) of Hughes is, maar er gaan wel deuren open.

dirk5
25-01-2013, 15:00
Dat word dus lekker gezellig samen bidden elke dag bij binnenkomst van kantoor.

Niet gelovig? Bidden zul je godverdomme!

Nee zijn optreden tijdens die TUF met Serra blijft de slechtste coaching/training die ik tot op heden heb gezien bij TUF.

Kortom, ik vind het een waardeloze kerel.

The Company
25-01-2013, 15:05
Als ik de samenvatting van zijn boek lees moet ik concluderen dat Hughes een van de grootste klootzakken op aarde is.

Snap niet waarom ze hem een baan geven bij de UFC geven.

The Company
25-01-2013, 15:08
Zomaar een stukje uit het leven van Hughes:

Later it gets even more disturbing when he describes mutilating a live baby piglet by cutting off it's testicles, and throwing them at a friend. For good measure he slits it's stomach open as it screams wildly to "freak his friend out." After he and Mark brutally torture and kill a dozen or so baby pigs, solely for entertainment, they starts throwing their testicles and body parts at each other. Matt even now still seems amused because his friend looked like he was going to vomit.

Hier staat de rest: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1691049&forum=1&page=1&pc=115