View Full Version : UFC on FUEL TV 7: Barao vs. McDonald | Results **Spoiler**

17-02-2013, 06:09
Main Card
Renan Barao def. Michael McDonald via submission (arm triangle)
Cub Swanson def. Dustin Poirier via unanimous decision
Jimi Manuwa def. Cyrille Diabate via TKO (doctor's stoppage)
Gunnar Nelson def. Jorge Santiago via unanimous decision
James Te Huna def. Ryan Jimmo via unanimous decision
Matthew Riddle def. Che Mills via split decision

Renee Forte def. Terry Etim via unanimous decision
Danny Castillo def. Paul Sass via unanimous decision
Andy Ogle def. Josh Grispi via unanimous decision
Tom Watson def. Stanislav Nedkov via TKO (strikes)
Vaughan Lee def. Motonobu Tezuka via unanimous decision
Phil Harris def. Ulysses Gomez via unanimous decision

17-02-2013, 06:15
UFC on FUEL TV 7: Barao vs. McDonald | VIDEOS (http://www.mixfight.nl/forum/showthread.php?127203-UFC-on-FUEL-TV-7-Barao-vs-McDonald-VIDEOS&p=1202919#post1202919)

17-02-2013, 06:18

17-02-2013, 06:18

17-02-2013, 06:19
Renan Barao vs. Michael McDonald fight video highlights (http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=1b862327-3b08-4c13-b230-2aef3976a4cf&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:&from=sharepermalink)

17-02-2013, 06:21
UFC on FUEL TV 7 bonuses: Barao, Nedkov earn $50K, Watson doubles up with $100K

Renan Barao, Tom Watson and Stanislav Nedkov each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday's "UFC on FUEL TV 7: Barao vs. McDonald" event – and Watson doubled up for his performance.

Barao earned the "Submission of the Night," Watson won "Knockout of the Night" and Watson-Nedkov picked up "Fight of the Night" honors.

UFC President Dana White announced the winners at the post-event news conference, which MMAjunkie attended.

UFC on FUEL TV 7 took place at Wembley Arena in London. The main card aired on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.

Barao (30-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) got a stiff test from Michael McDonald (15-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who consistently popped back up quickly from the interim bantamweight champion's takedown attempts. But in the fourth round, Barao got the fight to the ground, got to side control and sank in an arm-triangle choke that McDonald ultimately couldn't last through.

In the night's third bout, England's "Kong" Watson and Nedkov went back and forth to the delight of the Wembley crowd. Watson got started early, landing good shots in the first half of the first round. But Nedkov came on strong in the second half of the frame and had Watson in survival mode. But late in the second, after weathering another storm from the Bulgarian early in the round, Watson began to pour it on. Exhausted, Nedkov fell to the canvas and Watson moved in to get the stoppage.

17-02-2013, 06:22
Tom Watson batters Stanislav Nedkov for TKO

After two fairly lackluster the fights that quieted the crowd, middleweights Tom Watson and Stanislav Nedkov got them out of their seats.

Watson started strong, overcame some late-first-round trouble, and then used a second-round beatdown to finally stop Nedkov.

The bout was part of the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 event at Wembley Arena in London. It streamed on Facebook ahead of a main card on FUEL TV.

Watson jumped out to a quick lead and simply battered Nedkov with knees and elbows from the Thai clinch. With the Bulgarian pinned against the cage, Watson unloaded a stream of heavy blows that took a toll. But with just 45 seconds left in the round, Nedkov got a takedown and unloaded a barrage of punches, elbows and hammerfists before running out of time.

Nedkov continued the assault in the second round after he wobbled the Brit with a right hand and scored a takedown. However, once back up, Watson landed heavy knees and punches from the clinch, defended the takedown, and then continued dozens of unanswered and unimpeded blows. The blows began to mount, and late in the round, Nedkov finally fell to the mat from sheer exhaustion.

The bout then was waved off at the 4:42 mark of the round.

"I don't care if I win or lose," said Watson, who also called out testosterone-replacement-therapy users in his post-fight interview. "I damn near got knocked out three times tonight."

Watson (16-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) picks up his first UFC win and moves to 4-1 in his past five fights. Nedkov (12-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC), who previously competed at light heavyweight, suffers his first official pro loss.

17-02-2013, 06:22
Andy Ogle avoids early choke, decisions Josh Grispi

Angle Ogle survived early trouble and then stormed back to further propel the tailspin of Josh Grispi's fighting career.

Ogle narrowly escaped a first-round triangle choke before dominating the remainder of the ground-based fight.

The featherweight fight was part of the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 event at Wembley Arena in London. It streamed on Facebook ahead of the FUEL TV main card.

Grispi, a former No. 1 contender who lost a promised UFC title shot when champ Jose Aldo went down due to an injury, moved to 0-4 in the organization with his latest setback.

Grispi, though, nearly ended the fight early after forcing the action to the mat, trapping his opponent's arms, and then smoothly transitioning into a triangle choke. The submission was tight, even after Ogle tried to slam his way free. However, as the Brit unloaded punches from the top over the next couple minutes, Grispi ultimately was forced to give it up and work full guard before the round ended.

Unfortunately for Grispi, it was largely downhill from there.

Grispi reversed a takedown early in the second round, but during the scramble, Ogle reclaimed top position. He then took Grispi's back, secured a body lock, and delivered punches to the head and body. Ogle later rolled and took top position to work from half guard, and he then worked elbows and reclaimed the back as Grispi tried to get to his feet.

In the final frame, Ogle did damage early with a liver kick, he followed with punches, and then scored a double-leg takedown. After breaking free of a loose guillotine-choke attempt, Ogle then worked more ground and pound, thwarted Grispi's attempts to stand, and closed out the fight with more ground and pound.

It ultimately led Ogle to a unanimous-decision win via 29-28, 29-28 and 30-27 scores.

"Best birthday present ever," said Ogle, who turned 24 today. "I said I was going to do it, and I have. I said I'd get in UFC by the time I turned 24, and I've done it.

"I can always fight better. I was nervous as hell and had a lot on the line. It takes massive balls to fight in UFC in this arena. I'm only 24. I'm I'm only a puppy. Let the games begin."

Ogle (9-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC), who appeared on "The Ultimate Fighter 15," picks up his first UFC win and moves to 8-1 since late 2009. Grispi (14-5 MMA, 0-4 UFC), meanwhile, is likely to receive a pink slip following losses to Dustin Poirier, George Roop, Rani Yahya and now Ogle.

17-02-2013, 06:23
Danny Castillo stymies Paul Sass for unanimous nod

Danny Castillo had no fear of being on the ground with a submission expert like Paul Sass, and it paid off.

Castillo landed takedowns in each round, landed heavy ground-and-pound and defended all of Sass' submission attempts en route to a unanimous decision victory.

The lightweight bout was part of the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 event at Wembley Arena in London. It streamed on Facebook ahead of a main card on FUEL TV.

Sass opened with a big right hand, then jumped up for a triangle. Castillo had him up in the air, though, and slammed him down to the canvas with authority. Sass went straight for the heel hook, though, and Castillo had to worm his way out of danger. Castillo stayed on the ground on top and fought off another submission attempt with a slam and then looked to ground-and-pound from half-guard.

Castillo temporarily went to his feet, but Sass again grabbed a leg and nearly had a heel hook once again. But Castillo squirmed out and returned to top position with Sass along the fence working out of guard. With Sass continuing to want the triangle, Castillo landed some heavy hands and elbows. Sass continued to go after Castillo's left leg, and Castillo continued to frustrate him by defending and landing heavy hands with Sass on his back. Castillo landed massive elbows from the top as the clock ticked down in the first.

Round 2 was more of the same – with Castillo seemingly unafraid to be on the ground with Sass, and he used more big elbows and fists. With Sass going for an armbar, Castillo again slammed him down to break free from the hold to go back to work out of Sass' guard. Halfway through the round, referee Neil Hall stood the two up, believing there wasn't enough work on the feet. But right when Sass moved forward, Castillo shot and planted him back on the canvas. Castillo landed big hammer fists as time ticked down.

Sass landed a good spinning back kick in the third and tried to work kicks to Castillo's legs as the American looked a little slower early in the round. But as Sass moved forward to try a combination, Castillo again shot for a perfect double-leg and went back to work for more of the same on top. Sass went after a triangle with less than two minutes left, but Casillo quickly squirmed out to pass Sass' guard to the north-south position, then side control.

Castillo cruised the rest of the way home and won an easy unanimous decision with a pair of 30-27s and a 29-28. "I fought close to my potential," Castillo said. "I'm disappointed as I have been working with my striking coach and didn't get to show that too much. I felt sharp – my corner did a great job getting me ready for the fight. I was looking for a knockout, but I'm happy I was able to control the fight. I'll be looking for more knockouts going forward."

Castillo (15-5 MMA, 5-2 UFC) is back in the win column after an October loss to Michael Johnson and now has won four of his past five. Sass (13-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) now loses for the second straight time after an armbar loss to Matt Wiman at UFC on FUEL TV 5 in October, which also took place in England.

17-02-2013, 06:23
Renee Forte outstrikes and upsets Terry Etim

Renee Forte paid no mind to fighting in hostile territory against a taller and more seasoned opponent as the card's biggest underdog.

The Brazilian picked up the first win of his UFC career as he outstruck home favorite Terry Etim for a unanimous decision win. Forte picked up a pair of 29-28 scores and a 30-27.

The lightweight bout closed out the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 event at Wembley Arena in London. It streamed on Facebook ahead of a main card on FUEL TV.

Forte looked for a Superman punch early and came out aggressively, backing Etim up. Etim answered with right leg kicks, then threatened with a front kick to the head. Forte landed a good front kick of his own, though, and came behind it with a good combination. After catching an Etim kick, he landed a kick of his own and pushed Etim to the cage and looked for knees along the fence. Etim kept Forte at bay on the fence, controlling his wrists as things came to a bit of a stalemate. They finally broke apart and stayed standing until a kick from Etim allowed Forte to take the fight to the ground. Etim was back up quickly, though, and they stalled out the last 20 seconds of the frame.

Forte looked to rush in early, but Etim avoided the takedown and the two jockeyed for position on the fence. Forte looked to secure position with his leg for a trip takedown, but Etim was able to avoid it and get separation to go back to the center of the cage. Forte put together a good combination there, though, and put Etim in big trouble. After a series of punches, Etim hit the canvas and Forte followed him there and went to work out of half-guard. Forte was able to pass to full mount with 20 seconds left, but Etim held on to survive the round.

Forte came forward quickly in the third and pushed Etim back with his strikes, which forced Etim to tie things up. After another lengthy stalemate, they were split apart. Forte again came forward quickly, and though Etim was able to land a few knees, Forte stayed relentless and halfway through the round took Etim down. From the top, he looked to land punches as Etim looked wiped out.
"I'm very, very happy with the win," Forte said. "I prepared very well. I knew preparation would be key to my chances and wanted to make sure I'd done as much as I could. I began my training in Brazil, then I went to France for acclimatization before the fight – and it's worked. I knew I had one chance to stay in the UFC, and I've done it."

Forte (8-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) picked up his first official win in the UFC following a loss to Sergio Moraes at UFC 153 this past October. Etim (15-5 MMA, 6-5 UFC), fighting for the first time since his January 2012 head-kick KO loss to Edson Barboza, now has lost two straight and three of his past four. It's his first losing streak in five years.

17-02-2013, 06:24
Matt Riddle tops Che Mills despite baffling split nod

Matthew Riddle stuck to a game plan, put Che Mills where he was most uncomfortable, and ultimately cruised to a decision victory.

The wrestler scored takedowns with ease and delivered a steady stream of ground and pound. Unbelievably, though, it was ruled a split decision rather than unanimous.

The welterweight bout kicked off Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 main card at Wembley Arena in London. It aired on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.

Riddle, who's been sucked into slugfests in past fights, instead worked diligently at takedowns and continually looked to take the fight to the ground. Then, once Riddle got him to the mat, Mills had little to offer from his back.

Mills avoided substantial damage in the first round, and he quickly bucked free of Riddle's full mount in the second round. But punches, elbows and hammerfists from the top scored frequently, and Riddle also did damage while the fighters were clinched against the cage.

In desperation mode, Mills came out swinging in the third round and connected on a few lunging punches. But with the fear of Riddle's takedowns, he was hesitant to commit to the blows. Riddle ultimately locked up a single leg and spent a few minutes finally getting the fight to the mat after Mills' failed whizzer attempt. Mills reversed the position in the final minute of the fight, but it was too little, too late for the fight.

In the end, the judges scored it 29-28, 28-29 and 30-27 in Riddle's favor. It was technically a split decision, though Riddle was the clear victor. (MMAjunkie.com scored it 30-27 in his favor.)

Riddle (8-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) has now won three straights, and it would be four if not for a failed drug test (marijuana) that forced a submission win over Chris Clements to be overturned this past summer. Mills (15-6 MMA, 2-2 UFC), meanwhile, halts the progress of a recent 6-1 run.

17-02-2013, 06:25
James Te Huna survives rough first to beat Ryan Jimmo

It took a massive comeback, all things considered, but James Te Huna survived and ended Ryan Jimmo's massive streak.

After being dropped with a first-round kick to the head and nearly finished on the ground, Te Huna upset Jimmo with a unanimous decision, snapping the Canadian's 17-fight win streak. Te Huna won with scores of 29-27, 29-28, 29-28.

The light heavyweight bout was part of the main card of Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 event at Wembley Arena in London. It aired on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.

Jimmo came forward quickly, but Te Huna got his hooks in and pushed Jimmo to the fence. On the fence for just 30 seconds, referee Leon Roberts warned the fighters he would break them if they weren't active.

Separate them he did, and Jimmo took immediate advantage. He landed a big left kick to the head, and Te Huna dropped to the canvas. Jimmo was quick to get on top and landed punishing blows to Te Huna's face as Roberts looked in. Somehow, though, Te Huna managed to survive the blows – and was a lot bloodier, as well.

Te Huna tried to get back to his feet, and briefly had a choke. But Jimmo slammed out of it and continued to go to work on the ground with short elbows and punches. Te Huna did his best to land punches and elbows from his back, though, until the horn sounded in the first round.

Jimmo worked a pair of kicks in the second round, but Te Huna tried for an inside leg trip to take the fight to the canvas. Jimmo defended, though, before looking for a takedown of his own as the two clinched along the fence. But with three minutes left, Te Huna scored a good takedown and went to work from side control. From there, Te Huna briefly went to the crucifix position, then to full mount – though Jimmo regained half-guard quickly.

A pair of big elbows and a few right hands from Te Huna appeared to have Jimmo stunned on the ground, and with time to work, Te Huna landed hammerfists as Jimmo held on trying to survive the round.

A Te Huna takedown attempt had Jimmo scrambling early in the third, but the fight stayed standing as the two tied up on the cage. Te Huna forced the break with an elbow and a few punches. But seconds later, they again tied up until Te Huna landed a takedown with about two minutes left. Te Huna landed short elbows on the fence, keeping Jimmo outside of his offensive comfort zone for the rest of the fight while landing enough to keep from getting stood up.

"It was a tough match and I thought he had me finished in the first round," Te Huna said. "I came back, though, and spotted a few weaknesses in his game which I took advantage (of). I knew I'd have to avoid his kicks. He's a strong kicker, so we worked on that. I'm very happy to win, but there's areas that I can work on."

"I thought the fight was going well, especially the first round," Jimmo said. "Then, in the second round, something popped and my body let me down. He was the better man on the night."

Te Huna (16-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) stretched his win streak to four and now has won 10 of his past 11 fights. Jimmo (17-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) lost for the first time since his pro debut in 2007 and heads to the loss column after his seven-second knockout of Anthony Perosh in his UFC debut in July.

17-02-2013, 06:25
Gunnar Nelson wins 11th straight, tops Jorge Santiago

Jorge Santiago's drop from middleweight to welterweight did little to change his luck in the UFC.

Fast-rising Icelandic prospect Gunnar Nelson topped the veteran via unanimous decision for one of his highest-profile wins to date.

The bout was part of the main card of Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 event at Wembley Arena in London. It aired on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.

The first round was light on action as each fighter tested his range and landed the occasional lunging punch. Nelson mixed in a brief takedown, but Santiago was quickly back up.

In the second round, though, Nelson began to take control. After landing a big combo with Santiago pressed against the cage, Nelson scored a takedown and did damage from the top, including some punches from the standing position. Then, once he returned to the mat, he moved from side control to the mount before the bell.

In the final frame, Santiago landed some solid straight rights and lunging knees, but Nelson's striking was more effective. An uppercut landed flush for Nelson, and though dazed, Santiago answered with a solid right. But with the Blackzilian closely fatigued, Nelson unloaded uppercuts and a right hand, and largely controlled the flow of the fight.

Santiago mixed in a heavy straight right hand in the final second of the round, but by then, the fight had already been determined. And Nelson earned the unanimous-decision win via 29-28, 29-28 and 30-27 scores.

Nelson (11-0-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) now has won 11 consecutive fights. However, he went to a decision for the first time during the streak, and he went past the second round for the first time since his MMA-debut split draw with John Olesen.

Meanwhile, Santiago (25-11 MMA, 1-5 UFC), who kicked off his third UFC stint in the bout, has now lost five consecutive UFC fights dating back to 2006.

17-02-2013, 06:26
Cyrille Diabate leg injury gives Jimi Manuwa TKO win

At some point, Jimi Manuwa probably hopes he gets a UFC win with a genuine finish, not by watching from his corner while a doctor waves his arms.

Manuwa stayed unbeaten with a TKO win over Cyrille Diabate when "The Snake" couldn't continue after the first round with a left leg injury. In his UFC debut this past September, Manuwa notched a TKO win over Kyle Kingsbury when the doctor wouldn't let the American continue with an eye swollen shut. But a win is a win as far as Manuwa is concerned.

The light heavyweight bout was part of the main card of Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 event at Wembley Arena in London. It aired on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.

Manuwa opened with a pair of inside leg kicks before the two tied up. Manuwa immediately went to work defending against Diabate's knees, and in doing so he caught his leg in midair and turned it into a takedown.

Diabate tried to sweep from half-guard, but Manuwa regained control and kept Diabate on the canvas. When Diabate was able to get to his feet, Manuwa kept him tied up for 30 seconds before landing a good high kick. When Diabate looked for knees again, Manuwa again used it to land a takedown.

But Manuwa wanted Diabate on his feet. Diabate continued to look for knees, but Manuwa's left hand gave him problems throughout the first round. And again with a Diabate knee, Manuwa used it for a takedown.

It's unclear when Diabate sustained the apparent injury to his lower left leg, but between rounds, when a doctor asked him if he could continue with the leg injury, his response was enough for the fight to be stopped. The official result was a first-round TKO for Manuwa in front of his home fans. "I'm quite disappointed he had to retire after the first round," Manuwa said. "It's not the way I would have wanted to win. I spoke to him after and he said he injured himself, but I'm sure I would have won anyway. I tried to be sharp as a striker. He's also a good striker, and I'd worked on my wrestling and jiu-jitsu. I'm looking forward to a break. I always go straight back into training after a fight. I'm having a month off, and it's my birthday on Monday, but I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be itching to get back to the gym."

"Early in the first round, I felt something like a tearing feeling in my leg," Diabate said. "I have a history of tendinitis in my Achilles' in my left leg. I was in perfect condition before the fight, but in the warm-up I strained my Achilles' tendon. I don't know if this has something to do with it, but I just couldn't step forward. I couldn't attack. Beside the pain, I was dealing with a top opponent and I couldn't just be standing around."
Manuwa (12-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) stayed unbeaten with the win and now is 2-0 in the UFC after his promotional debut in England this past September. Diabate (19-9-1 MMA, 4-3 UFC) had a two-fight win streak snapped with the loss.

17-02-2013, 06:27
Cub Swanson finishes strong, tops Dustin Poirier

Cub Swanson is no longer a guy with a lot of potential. Instead, he's a legit contender in a quickly crowding featherweight title picture.

The veteran 145-pounder picked up his biggest win yet and topped fellow title hopeful Dustin Poirier via unanimous decision.

The bout co-headlined Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 event in London's Wembley Arena. It airs on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.

After a series of lackluster decisions, Swanson vs. Poirier provided plenty of action.

After the former WEC fighters traded some lunging punches early in the fight, including a series of blows to the body, Swanson scored the first big shot when an uppercut wobbled his opponent. Poirier ate a more few punches but ultimately got a takedown to buy some recovery time. However, on the way back up, Swanson unloaded a lunging knee and punch before the round ended.

Swanson opened the second round with a body shot and followed with a few quick shots to the head. Poirier, though, instantly returned fire and briefly stunned Swanson with a body shot. After a clinch against the cage, a recovered Swanson unloaded a nice body kick and punches, but Poirier got a big double-leg takedown. Swanson threatened with a shoulder lock to get back to his feet, but Poirier was the more aggressive striker as a close round ended.

With the fight potentially up for grabs, Poirier looked for an early takedown but settled for a barrage of punches that found their mark. Although fatigued, Swanson scored a double-leg takedown to halt the assault. However, he wasn't simply looking for recovery time. He quickly transitioned to Poirier's back and fought off his attempts to stand, and then moved into mount before battering Poirier with punches on his way back up. He then scored a slick arm-and-head throw and closed out the fight in dominant position on the mat.

The well-rounded attack won over the judges, and in the end, Swanson took the unanimous decision via 29-28, 30-27 and 30-27 scores.

Swanson (19-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) has now won four consecutive fights, all in the UFC, and should get some serious title consideration. With champion Jose Aldo set to fight Anthony Pettis in August, Swanson is likely to be next in line, or possibly in line for a No. 1 contender's bout.

Poirier (13-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC), meanwhile, has dropped two of three since a five-fight win streak that had him within reaching distance of his own title shot.

17-02-2013, 06:28
Renan Barao keeps interim belt, subs Michael McDonald

Renan Barao was tested, but ultimately he was perhaps as dominant as ever.

Barao stretched his remarkable unbeaten streak to 30 fights and submitted Michael McDonald deep into the fourth round of their interim bantamweight title fight.

The bout was the main event of Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 7 card at Wembley Arena in London. It aired on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.

Barao got a takedown early and tried to go to work from on top out of McDonald's guard. But McDonald controlled Barao's hands, then popped back to his feet without taking any rap damage on the ground. After that, he came forward and backed Barao up with the threat of his dangerous right hand.

Barao shot for another takedown a minute later, but McDonald sprawled out of it to keep the fight on the feet. And then he came forward and started to pour it on, landing big right hands in tight that put Barao on his knees on the canvas.

But Barao survived and then landed a few big left hands of his own while the two were clinched up along the fence. And seconds later, Barao scored a takedown and ended the round on top.

McDonald landed first in the second round, hitting a good left hand while staying patient. He tried to follow it seconds later with a right uppercut, but it was just off the mark. Two minutes in, Barao shot for a takedown that McDonald initially defended. But when Barao persisted and got the fight to the ground, it was only for a moment as McDonald upkicked his way right back to the feet. With less than a minute left, a Barao front kick just missed, keeping the round close once again.

The two traded wildly after Barao seemed to catch McDonald with a punch, and just over 90 seconds into the third, Barao again brought the fight to the ground – and again McDonald quickly was back to his feet. The pace was slower in the third, though.

The fourth round featured a good flying knee from Barao that bloodied McDonald's nose. And repeatedly, McDonald's counter attempts were good – but not quite good enough to put Barao in trouble. With two minutes left in the round, the two tied up. But for once, Barao got a takedown that McDonald wasn't able to pop back up from.

Barao got to side control and got an arm-triangle choke that was tight. McDonald defended it early, giving the thumbs-up that he was OK. But as Barao continued to crank on it, it eventually was too much and McDonald had to tap at the 3:57 mark of the fourth round. "The fight was great," Barao said. "McDonald is a good fighter and I'm pleased with the result. I knew he would be a tough opponent. I felt great coming into the fight, very confident with myself and with my team and I had great expectations. In the run up to the fight, I kept my normal workouts and training, but I have improved my physical condition a lot which has helped."

"I feel like I have to go study a little bit," McDonald said. "Everything I do is about learning, and I know how much my first defeat helped me. I know how much a better fighter it made me, so I'll just have to go back to the drawing board. Before the fight, I worked on everything. It's one thing i'm particular on. Now I'll just go back and keep working hard."
Barao (30-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) extended his unbeaten streak to 31 fights, which includes 30 wins and a no contest. His win streak hit 20 fights. McDonald (15-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC) lost for the first time since May 2009 and had his eight-fight win streak halted.