PDA

View Full Version : UFC on FUEL TV 9: Gegard Mousasi vs. Ilir Latifi | Results **Spoiler**

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:02
Main card
Gegard Mousasi def. Ilir Latifi via unanimous decision
Ross Pearson def. Ryan Couture via second-round TKO
Matt Mitrione def. Phil De Fries via first-round TKO
Brad Pickett def. Mike Easton via split decision
Diego Brandao def. Pablo Garza via submission (arm triangle)
Akira Corassani def. Robbie Peralta via unanimous decision

Undercard
Reza Madadi def. Michael Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke)
Tor Troeng def. Adam Cella via submission
Adlan Amagov def. Chris Spang via unanimous decision
Conor McGregor def. Marcus Brimage via first-round TKO
Ryan LaFlare def. Ben Alloway via unanimous decision
Tom Lawlor def. Michael Kuiper via submission (guillotine)
Papy Abedi def. Besam Yousef via split decision

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:15
Bonus winner Reza Madadi ready to keep pushing after UFC on FUEL TV 9

Reza Madadi had his back against the wall, literally.

And when he took his hand off the floor, he had his back on the canvas. Madadi (13-3 MMA, 2-1 UFC) ate a massive Michael Johnson kick to the head late in the first round of their fight at UFC on FUEL TV 9. Madadi should have been out.

That he survived the round was kind of a big deal. That he went on to win the fight against Johnson (12-8 MMA, 4-4 UFC) with a third-round submission and take home a $60,000 bonus? That was just the kind of big deal the Swede was looking for.

Madadi got back in the win column after an October split-decision loss to Cristiano Marcello in Marcello's native Brazil. It was a loss that didn't sit well with Madadi, but picking up a comeback submission with his third-round arm-triangle choke was just what the doctor ordered.

"UFC 153 in brazil is just the past for me," Madadi said at the post-event news conference at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm. "(Now I have to) just keep going and go out and train harder. I did my job tonight. What can I say? I'm just happy."

Madadi nearly was a 3-to-1 underdog in the fight against Johnson, who now has lost two straight fights after a three-fight win streak in 2012.

Along with picking up the $60,000 "Submission of the Night" award for his first bonus win in the UFC, Madadi got something that ultimately may be worth more than the 60-large. He got his boss's attention.

"He looked amazing tonight, too," UFC President Dana White said. "Seriously – Michael Johnson is a tough, amazing athlete. He looked like one of those things that you buy and you punch it would fall down and go back (to standing). When he got hit with that kick, he went this way and this way, and comes back after that round and ends up winning 'Submission of the Night.' Tough guy and a great fight."

Madadi said the first-round head kick from Johnson was indeed on the button – so much so that he doesn't really remember it.

But he said for his next test, he'll take whatever the UFC and matchmaker Joe Silva wants to give him.

"I don't remember that head kick," he said. "(But) whatever Mr. Joe Silva offers me, I'm ready to fight."

And until then, there's the little matter of $60,000 suddenly burning a hole in his pocket.

"I ordered my Ferrari in Germany," Madadi joked. "I'm going to bring it next week. I'm going to put 'Dana White' on it."

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:17
Gegard Mousasi plans surgery following UFC on FUEL TV 9 victory

Despite fighting and winning the main event of his UFC debut, Gegard Mousasi was far from jubilant on Saturday night.

Mousasi (34-3-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) beat Ilir Latifi (7-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) by unanimous decision at UFC on FUEL TV 9 in Stockholm. He was a massive favorite in the fight since Latifi took over for Alexander Gustafsson on just four days' notice.

Mousasi was in what many called a lose-lose situation: Win the fight, and you're supposed to against a fighter few outside of Sweden had heard of. Lose, and ...

But there was even more to the past week's drama than was made public when Mousasi revealed after the fight that he'll be going under the knife – and isn't sure just how soon he might be back.

"I don't want to talk a lot about my injury, but I can tell you that this injury, I'm pretty sure 95 percent wouldn't fight, other fighters," Mousasi said at the post-fight news conference at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, site of Saturday's card. "I stepped up. I didn't cancel the show. I don't know. We'll go from here."

Mousasi wasn't in much mood to elaborate on just how long he'll be out or the severity of his injury.

"I don't want to say anything yet, but it's nothing small," he said.

UFC President Dana White praised the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion for not backing out of the fight – and for sticking in there when Gustafsson was pulled in favor of a fighter with a completely different style.

Latifi's style also was one that has given Mousasi trouble in the past. Latifi, known for his strong wrestling game, was thought to have that as the one way he could beat Mousasi. Mousasi lost his Strikeforce title to Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in 2010, and Lawal's strength, of course, is his wrestling.

"Mousasi had knee problems all through his camp," White said. "He checked with his doctor, and his doctor said, 'You can make it through this fight, and then you're going to have to have surgery after the fight.' The kid wants to fight because he's going to come here and fight the No. 3-ranked light heavyweight in the world – he doesn't want to give up this opportunity, he wants to fight. He shows up here to fight (Gustafsson), who gets stopped (from fighting) on a cut – and we won't even get into that. We'll leave that alone. We all know what's up with that. He's training for this tall striker and ends up fighting a short, strong, southpaw wrestler. And still accepts the fight and takes it."

White's allusion was to the Sweden commission that pulled Gustafsson from the fight earlier this week for a cut above his left eye that required three stitches. It was a cut that appeared to have mostly healed by the time most of the UFC brass arrived on the scene in Stockholm on Wednesday.

But White also praised Latifi for taking the fight on short turnaround time, and said the Swede certainly will get another chance in the UFC despite losing a lopsided unanimous decision.

"Latifi comes in on four days' notice, cuts the weight and takes on Gegard Mousasi, who's 33-3, when this guy's 8-2, and stays in there three rounds with him," White said. "So again, much respect to the guys in the main event."

Mousasi didn't take many chances in the fight, perhaps owing to his knee, but also owing to Latifi's strengths in the wrestling game and the power in his hands. Latifi threw many heavy bombs in the fight that Mousasi routinely stayed out of range of.

In his post-fight in-cage interview with FUEL TV's Kenny Florian, Mousasi said some fighters lay and pray, but perhaps he did the standup version of that.

"He's a gentleman, and he's a sportsman," Mousasi said. "He stepped up, and I'm thankful to him. He took some hard punches, you know, but I didn't want to take any risks. Had nothing to lose, so I fought smart."

Many seemed to be interested in eventually seeing the originally scheduled fight between Mousasi and Gustafsson. But now, with Mousasi's planned surgery, just when, if ever, that fight takes place is anyone's guess.

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:18
UFC on FUEL TV 9: Matt Mitrione vs. Philip De Fries full fight video highlights (http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=68561d2a-1126-4643-82b8-1f809a4a6d75&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:&from=sharepermalink)

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:19
UFC on FUEL TV 9: Ross Pearson vs. Ryan Couture full fight video highlights (http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=7669f312-0dd8-44bb-98f2-714e8e78e4fa&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:&from=sharepermalink)

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:19
UFC on FUEL TV 9: Gegard Mousasi vs. Ilir Latifi full fight video highlights (http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=679505d9-509c-4a36-893b-5adc2d874fca&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:&from=sharepermalink)

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:27
UFC on FUEL TV 9 bonuses: McGregor, Madadi, Pickett, Easton win $60,000

Conor McGregor, Reza Madadi, Brad Pickett and Mike Easton each earned $60,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday's "UFC on FUEL TV 9: Mousasi vs. Latifi" event.

McGregor earned the "Knockout of the Night," Madadi won "Submission of the Night" and Pickett and Easton picked up "Fight of the Night" honors.

UFC President Dana White announced the winners at the night's post-event news conference, which MMAjunkie attended.

UFC on FUEL TV 9 took place at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm. The main card aired on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.

McGregor was exactly as advertised in his UFC debut. With excellent footwork, he had to eat a few punches from Marcus Brimage in order to land his own shots. And land them he did. He got after Brimage quickly in the fight and finished him with strikes in just 67 seconds. McGregor left both the lightweight and featherweight titles in Cage Warriors behind to sign with the UFC as a 145-pounder.

Madadi and Michael Johnson engaged in a battle of momentum swings before Madadi finally ended the fight early in the third round with an arm triangle choke. Johnson caught Madadi with a perfectly timed head kick late in the first round, and Madadi admitted later he was about finished because of it. But he survived the round – barely – and took over in the second, then finished the fight in the third.

Pickett and Easton went back and forth for 15 minutes in all areas of the game. The two traded back and forth on the feet, displaying power and chins. They traded back and forth on the ground, exchanging scrambles. When the scores were read, Pickett picked up a pair of 30-27s, while Easton took the third with a 29-28.

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=STEJtHnCA0I

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgsvMgzaJhE&feature=player_detailpage

Kemal
07-04-2013, 08:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjV6Rl3xRo&feature=player_detailpage