PDA

View Full Version : UFC's Mousasi tells Belfort to 'do his job,' offers to fight at multiple weights

Pahlavan
08-08-2013, 22:28
Gegard Mousasi (34-3-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) believes a matchup with Vitor Belfort (23-10 MMA, 12-6 UFC) is the next logical step in his UFC career. And he says if "The Phenom" isn't willing to take the fight at 185 pounds, then he can pick the weight where he feels most comfortable – just as long as he takes the fight.

"I will make this easy on Vitor," Mousasi told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "If he is going to continue to make conditions on who he will fight, I will face Vitor at a catchweight or at light heavyweight.

"At the end of the day, I want to fight the best guys for the title. I don't turn down fights."

Mousasi, who made his UFC debut this past April, is a former Strikeforce and DREAM champion. He was scheduled to face top light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson at April's UFC on FUEL TV 9 event but wound up meeting Ilir Latifi, instead, when "The Mauler" was ruled out with a cut over his eye.

Mousasi, who was secretly battling through a knee injury in the contest, earned a unanimous-decision victory and then had the joint surgically corrected. The 28-year-old said his healing process is going well, and he's looking to get back to action around December or January.

"It is going very well," Mousasi said. "The doctor told me I will be back at 100 percent soon. The time off, however, is making me very hungry to compete and come back. I am trying to use this as motivation."

Prior to the surgery, Mousasi announced his intentions to drop from light heavyweight down to the middleweight division. With his knee healing, Mousasi is looking to book his next contest, and with just one loss in the past seven years – a span of some 23 fights – he believes he's deserving of a No. 1 contender matchup. In Mousasi's eyes, that means a fight with Belfort, who would certainly be fighting for the UFC's middleweight belt were it not for the pending rematch between champ Chris Weidman and former title holder Anderson Silva.

Unfortunately for Mousasi, Belfort has stated he isn't interested in Mousasi and is instead looking for matchups outside the middleweight division while he waits for a shot at the 185-pound title.

Mousasi doesn't understand the logic.

"Vitor is a fighter, and he is not getting any younger," Mousasi said. "He gets paid to fight. He should get in there and do his job with or without the belt. That is his job, and he should not be making such conditions because he is only losing time and opportunity.

"I only want to fight guys that want to fight me and are willing to challenge themselves in the process. If Vitor will do his job, then I will gladly face him at 185 pounds, 195 pounds or 205 pounds. I know both the fans and the UFC want this fight badly. If Vitor does not want to fight, then give me any No. 1 contender in the middleweight division."

Whether or not Belfort will ultimately relent remains to be seen. But Mousasi said he's steadfast on securing an opportunity to earn himself a shot at the UFC's middleweight belt. And if Belfort has that same goal, Mousasi thinks he should be willing to step up and prove his worth.

"I want to have a title shot, and whoever is in front of the line is the person I expect to challenge," Mousasi said. "I have been fighting for a very long time, and my professional record speaks for itself. I believe I deserve a title shot based on what I have accomplished. I have seen fighters that have done less and have received a title shot. So I feel that I am in the mix.

"I want to thank the fans, my sponsor Venum, and the UFC for believing in me. I am very excited to make my return to the octagon in a few months. I am ready to challenge the champion, and make a great show for the fans."

K-1sunstarr
09-08-2013, 02:45
Hahahaha, dat is klare taal.
Belfort weet dat hij van Mousasi niet kan winnen.

Jabdealer
09-08-2013, 10:04
Ik snap Belfort wel. Mousasi is een high risk, low gain voor hem

Kemal
09-08-2013, 10:10
Het moest er toch maar eens een keer van komen! make it happen!

Klassikl
10-08-2013, 04:20
Hopelijk krijgt Mousasi dit jaar nog een partij! Belfort zou een mooie zijn. Zelfs als hij verliest pakt ie veel exposure mee..

kooivechter
11-08-2013, 02:10
belfort vs mousasi zonder de testosteron van belfort, gaat mousasi winnen op middel weight

Klassikl
11-08-2013, 03:18
Mag Belfort eigen met TRT in de VS vechten? Of enkel niet in Nevada?

Pahlavan
11-08-2013, 11:26
Mag Belfort eigen met TRT in de VS vechten? Of enkel niet in Nevada?

Dat vraag ik me ook af. Volgens mijn heeft iedere state zijn eigen regels. In Neveda mag je iig niet aan de trt als je eerder gepakt bent voor het gebruik van ped's. ik kan me niet voorstellen dat het alleen in Nevada zo is...