PDA

View Full Version : CUTTING WEIGHT by Martijn de Jong

blackadder
24-08-2013, 22:14
http://cdn.glorysportsinternational.eu/news/0001/07/thumb_6135_news_promo.jpeg

Fighting is probably the oldest sport known to man. It goes back thousands of years. Over those years a lot of things have changed, especially in recent decades. Weight classes were introduced around a century ago but it is only in the last few years that the art and science of weight-cutting has really been developed.

http://gloryworldseries.com/en/news/view/292 (http://gloryworldseries.com/en/news/view/292)

Anderson
24-08-2013, 23:52
goede uitleg

Kemal
25-08-2013, 08:26
Fighting is probably the oldest sport known to man. It goes back thousands of years. Over those years a lot of things have changed, especially in recent decades. Weight classes were introduced around a century ago but it is only in the last few years that the art and science of weight-cutting has really been developed.

Back in my fighting days I competed as a middleweight, which meant I had to be 85 kilograms (187lbs) or under. As I walked around at no more than 81 or 82 kilograms, I thought I was fine and that I was in my right weight class.

Then I learned a couple of hard lessons at the hands of some bigger, stronger opponents and I thought to myself, “What weight are these guys walking around at?”

After a little bit of research and asking around it didn’t take me long to learn that most guys in my weight class were walking around at 90-92kg, cutting to 85kg in the days before their fight. I had to level the playing field so I started to gain weight too, taking creatine, protein and carbohydrate high supplements. Soon I was walking around at 88-89kg.

So now when fight week came around, I had to make a weight cut too. How was I going to do it?

Easy! Eat and drink as little as possible and sit in the sauna as much as possible. You can imagine how this brutal, basic process affected me. I always made weight but felt awful.

And I wasn’t the only one. For a long time the three ingredients of a professional fighter weight-cut were starvation, dehydration and making friends with the sauna.

These days, things are different. The weight-cut has been recognized as a key part of fight preparation and has been evolved and developed by professionals who have studied the human body at length.

And so in the modern day, fighters are walking around a lot heavier than the weight they step on the scales at. Sometimes they are dropping a full weight class. You can lose ten percent of your weight safely and easily - if you allow yourself the time.Most professional fighters have access to nutritionists who create tailor-made diets. Lean muscle mass? Not a problem, follow this plan. Need to lose weight? We’ve got it covered, here’s your diet.

Say you’re a GLORY middleweight fighter and you walk around at 94kg. You will want to start dieting six weeks before weigh-in. You can still eat a lot (6-8 meals a day) but you will need to lower your intake of carbohydrates (starchy foods) and replace it with protein instead.

This means less rice, potatoes, pasta and bread and instead more eggs, meat, chicken, fish, vegetables (broccoli, avocado, spinach etc). Your diet cheat days - when you are allowed to eat candy and junk food - will also be off the menu during this period.

You will also need to increase your cardiovascular training. Jump on a bike, treadmill or cross-trainer every morning on an empty stomach for at least 45 minutes and you will soon see the weight start to fall off as you approach your weigh-in target.
In the weeks before the weigh-in you don't want to lose too much weight. Ideally you would arrive in the city of the event at around 88-89kg. The last 3-4kg you will be able to lose easy in 4 days. This will be pure water.

Take the salt out of your food. Forget carbohydrates altogether and do some light workouts with thick clothes or sweat suit on. At this point you might even venture into the sauna. You shouldn’t need to be in there too long. That or some hot baths and you should be right on target.

Yet, cutting the weight is only half the journey. The other half - equally if not more important - is how you put that weight back on after the weigh-in.

Whatever you do, do not start eating and drinking like a maniac as it will backfire on you and make you feel horrible. You haven’t pigged out for weeks but take it slow and eat the right things. I’ve witnessed first-hand some big-name fighters rushing to a McDonalds right after the weigh-ins. Unbelievable.

Instead, drink some water with electrolytes (or even better, some fresh coconut water if you can find it). Wait for that to do its work then have a protein shake. Wait a little longer then have some solid food, some fruits or a nice fruit smoothie. After another wait you can get some carbohydrates in, along with some protein, and you can do this right up until a few hours before your fight. You will feel as strong as a ... heavyweight!

Ultimately, the key to getting a weight-cut exactly right is to work with a nutritionist. Every person’s body is different and there is no such thing as a perfect, standardized way to lose weight and then regain it quickly, though the guidelines I have given here are what you would call the ‘modern standard’.

By listening to your body and getting the right advice, you can fine-tune your weight-cut and achieve peak performance on fight day. Whether you are a first-time amateur or an experienced professional, I wish you the best of luck.

A former professional fighter turned coach, Martijn de Jong was one of the head trainers with the Golden Glory fight team, based in the Netherlands. He coached and trained world Champions such as, Marloes Coenen, Alistair Overreem, Siyar Bahadurzada. These days he works closely with GLORY as part of its talent scouting and talent development team. Follow Martijn on twitter: @martijn_dej and Facebook: martijn.de.j0ng

blackadder
30-08-2013, 20:48
http://cdn.glorysportsinternational.eu/news/0001/08/thumb_7569_news_promo.jpeg

In last week's blog I talked about cutting weight and getting the right balance between protein and carbohydrates in the period leading up to a fight. In this post we're going to look at ‘fight diet’ nutrients in more depth.

http://gloryworldseries.com/en/news/view/297 (http://gloryworldseries.com/en/news/view/297)

Kemal
31-08-2013, 07:59
In last week's blog I talked about cutting weight and getting the right balance between protein and carbohydrates in the period leading up to a fight. In this post we're going to look at ‘fight diet’ nutrients in more depth.

Fighters ask me all the time, “What should I eat? What diet should I follow if I want to be a successful fighter?” I always answer by asking, “What do you want to accomplish? Do you want to gain weight or lose weight?”

Not only are goals different for different people, they are different for varying body types too. Consider that all the available studies and literature basically contradict each other and you can see that there is no ‘absolute truth’ - we see fighters competing on raw-vegan diets but I know others who still hit McDonalds during fight camp.

The best thing you can do is consult an experienced nutritionist with a verifiable track record and request a tailor-made diet for yourself. In the meantime, let’s look at proteins and carbohydrates in a little more detail.

Both are necessary to build and repair muscle after intensive work outs. Carbohydrates give you quick energy that can be stored in the muscles (and liver) to be used for the next workout. We call this ‘glycogen’. Protein, however, cannot be stored up and must be eaten daily.

Proteins are the building blocks of your muscles. They consist of smaller components called ‘amino acids’. While the body can manufacture several amino acids required for protein production, a set of ‘essential amino acids’ needs to be obtained from animal and/or vegetable protein sources.

Animal protein sources contain the complete set of essential amino acids, while all the essential amino acids’ can be obtained by eating a wide variety of plant foods. Vegetable sources of protein such as beans, chickpeas and nuts are excellent choices, and they offer healthy fibre, vitamins and minerals.

You can create your own ‘essential amino acid’ by combining grains with legumes. Grains are high in methionine and low in lysine; legumes are the other way around. Other plant sources of lysine include pistachios, amaranth and quinoa. Combine these with nuts, potatoes, broccoli, spinach, oranges and avocados for a well-balanced protein-heavy champion meal.

Good animal protein choices are fish and poultry. If you are partial to red meat, stick with the leanest cuts, choose moderate portion sizes, and make it only an occasional part of your diet. Examples of good animal proteins include chicken eggs, fish (tuna, salmon, and halibut), chicken and turkey breast, lean beef and veal.

Carbohydrates and the blood-sugar rollercoaster:
Carbohydrates are sugars, starches, and fibres and are found in most foods. While they are perhaps most famous for their role in fuelling our body's energy needs, carbohydrates (often referred to as ‘carbs‘) actually serve a wide variety of purposes in the body, including regulation of digestion, enabling of communication between cells and support of immune functions.

Examples of good carbohydrates for fight-sports include bananas, berries, brown rice, sweet potatoes, wholemeal rice and pasta.

Although bread also contains a lot of carbs, recent studies indicates that the starches in bread get broken down quickly in the digestive tract and enter the bloodstream as glucose. This causes a rapid spike in blood sugar and insulin levels.

When blood sugar goes up rapidly, it tends to go down just as quickly. When blood sugar goes down, we become hungry. This is the ‘blood-sugar rollercoaster’ that is familiar to people on high-carb diets. Soon after eating, they become hungry again and usually find themselves searching for another high-carb snack.

To live a healthy life and to perform at your best during training and competitions, I would suggest the following:

- Avoid sugar and sweets
- Stay off the soda drinks
- Eat as little grain (especially gluten grains like wheat and rye) as possible
- Say no to processed foods (avoid trans-fatty acids)
- Avoid all kinds of junk food
- No alcohol
- If you smoke, stop immediately!

Next week we will look at the necessary supplements for fighters training multiple times per week. In the meantime, enjoy your meals.

Mule-Kick
02-09-2013, 11:44
Leuke stukjes in duidelijke taal.

Richelieu
02-09-2013, 12:00
Erg leuke artikelen! Thanks Martijn.

Garcia
03-09-2013, 13:05
Goede info!

blackadder
14-09-2013, 17:14
Volgende deel hydratie:
http://cdn.glorysportsinternational.eu/news/0001/09/thumb_8261_news_promo.jpeg

"Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."
Bruce Lee was far ahead of his time when he spoke these words. He used water as a metaphor to describe the essence of Jeet Kun Do, his philosophy on how one should approach the martial arts. And indeed, water has a very direct role to play in the physical side of things as well.

http://www.gloryworldseries.com/en/news/view/304

blackadder
18-09-2013, 21:40
TAKING CARE OF YOUR BODY

Sep 18, 2013

http://cdn.glorysportsinternational.eu/news/0001/09/thumb_8331_news_promo.jpeg

By the title you might think I was referring to some sort of movement or posture drills. Actually I’m talking about upkeep on your body.

To keep a car running smoothly you take it to the garage and have it serviced by mechanics. To keep a body running smoothly, you put it on the massage table so that a trained masseuse can go to work on it.

http://www.gloryworldseries.com/en/news/view/312