PDA

View Full Version : Georges St-Pierre vs. Ben Askren? UFC champ weighs in on potential fight

Naj85
30-10-2013, 06:04
MONTREAL – UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre would be happy to provide Bellator MMA titleholder and top free agent Ben Askren a warm introduction to the UFC's octagon.

Askren is currently on the outside looking in after completing his Bellator contract with a successful 170-pound title defense against Andrey Koreshkov in July. UFC officials haven't presented the 2008 Olympic wrestler with an official contract offer, but company boss Dana White has expressed interest in signing "Funky."

Should Askren (12-0 MMA, 9-0 BMMA), ranked No. 7 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA welterweight rankings, jump ship and join the world's premier MMA organization, St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC) would gladly fight him in his first bout.

"Of course (I'd like to fight him)," St-Pierre told MMAjunkie.com. "He's a good fighter, undefeated, and yes, if he comes, I'll fight him. No problem."

Askren hasn't been shy when it comes to his desire to fight St-Pierre, as he tends to call out or poke fun at the French-Canadian on social media whenever the opportunity presents itself.

St-Pierre, who next fights Johny Hendricks on Nov. 16 at UFC 167, hasn't been goaded into responding to Askren's antics, but that doesn't mean he's unaware of what's going on.

Askren is considered the top welterweight currently not signed to the UFC roster, and many fans are curious to see how the 29-year-old two-time NCAA Division I national wrestling champion would do against the division's kingpin and No. 1 ranked fighter.

Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney is so confident Askren would have his way with St-Pierre that he even said he would release the fighter from any contract matching rights if he were presented with an immediate title fight against "Rush."

The challenge was brushed off by White, and it seems likely that, should he sign with the promotion, Askren's quest to UFC gold will follow the same path as other contenders.

But in the event Askren does ink a deal with the UFC, St-Pierre is open to giving him a shot at the belt whether it's one, five or 10 fights down the line.

"Bring him in; I'll fight everyone," St-Pierre said. "I am the champion, and I have no choice, so it's no problem. I'm not afraid."

For more on the UFC's upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.