PDA

View Full Version : Suicidal homeless man says chance meeting with Ricky Hatton saved his life

Facade
19-12-2013, 11:06
Suicidal homeless man says chance meeting with Ricky Hatton saved his life

Richard Burns-Wallace was seriously thinking of ending his own life when he bumped into the 'Hyde Hitman' on King Street in Manchester city centre.Share on prin (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/young-suicidal-homeless-man-says-6428618#)Richard Burns-Wallace was seriously thinking of ending his own life when he bumped into the 'Hyde Hitman' on King Street in Manchester city centre. (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/all-about/manchester%20city%20centre)

He was sheltering from the snow in a doorway and was making plans to jump from one of the city’s bridges when Hatton approached him.
Richard, who was 22 at the time of the meeting on New Year's Eve 2011, felt he had nothing left to live for – and had already tried to kill himself several times before.

But that all changed when the former boxing champion started chatting to him – and gave him half a bottle of £150 Cristal champagne, a Cuban cigar, £60 in cash and his autograph.

Hatton was out celebrating the festivities with two friends – and Richard said his kindness made him realise that people did care.
He said: “On that New Year’s Eve I’d had enough it was so cold and I was feeling very, very low.

“I’m into boxing so obviously knew who Ricky was, and then I couldn’t believe it as he had spotted me in the doorway and came over.

“We had a lovely chat then at the end of it, he said to me: “Well you look like a nice guy, who doesn’t have too much of a problem with drink or drugs so Happy New Year!

“I was in heaven afterwards. I felt like a king, I really think Ricky saved my life that night.
“It was the fact that someone that well known had bothered to talk to me. He made me feel like someone cared.
“I think it’s amazing that he makes the effort to talk to random people on the streets, it’s like he hasn’t forgotten his roots.”
At the time Richard had already spent four-and-a-half years living on the streets of Manchester but since then he has turned his life around and now lives in a flat in Betws y Coed, Wales.

He volunteers for a mountain rescue team in Snowdonia and says he’d love to meet Ricky Hatton again to thank him.
Last night Hatton said: “It’s sad seeing homeless people and whilst I can’t remember this particular man I regularly give money to the homeless.

“I don’t go round bragging about it it’s just nice to help those who are less fortunate than myself.
“It’s even nicer when I’ve found out that I have helped someone and they have turned their lives around. Let’s hope that with Christmas fast approaching more people can help the homeless.”

Hatton's agent Paul Speak added that the star would like to meet Richard again one day.

Bron: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/young-suicidal-homeless-man-says-6428618

---------------------------------------

Ik ben zelf iemand die eigenlijk steevast niks geeft aan zwervers omdat ik al gauw denk dat het een bodemloze put is. Maar Ik vind dit toch wel een mooi verhaal van hoe je met iets heel kleins toch zo'n grote impact kan maken op iemands leven. Bewust of onbewust denk je toch al gauw van daar moet ik niks mee te maken hebben. Dus des te grootser dat iemand als Hatton dat niet doet.

Leventdepevent
19-12-2013, 17:12
mooie stukje....zet je wel aan het denken, voor hatton iets kleins (fles champagne,sigaar,geld en een handtekening) voor die man die het krijgt betekent het heel wat.

Djani
20-12-2013, 01:41
mooie stukje....zet je wel aan het denken, voor hatton iets kleins (fles champagne,sigaar,geld en een handtekening) voor die man die het krijgt betekent het heel wat.

idd