PDA

View Full Version : Georges St-Pierre on UFC's lack of drug testing support: 'It bothered me enormously'

Pahlavan
15-01-2014, 01:12
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/26839781/005_georges_st-pierre_gallery_post.0_standard_783.0.jpg

On Tuesday, Georges St-Pierre admitted one of the reasons he vacated his UFC welterweight title last month was due to the lack of drug testing support he received from the promotion leading up to his UFC 167 fight against Johny Hendricks.

"It bothered me enormously," St-Pierre said in French to a group of reporters in Montreal.

"That's one of the reasons why I stopped fighting. Not really to teach them a lesson, because that would also punish me. I wanted to do something for the sport. I love the sport. I see the direction it's going, and I don't think it makes any sense. This is stupid."

In a scrum video posted on RDS.ca, St-Pierre is seen answering questions about his decision to indefinitely leave the sport. However, when a reporter begins to ask about the drug testing issues he faced leading up to UFC 167, St-Pierre cracked a big smile, somewhat in relief, and said, "Oh, here's someone who reads between the lines. That's good." It appeared as though St-Pierre was just itching for someone to ask him about this subject, and once someone did, the flood gates opened for the usually guarded St-Pierre.

"I tried to do something to change the sport," he said. "Unfortunately, there were other people, for different reasons, maybe for money, in fear of losing money, because if you canceled the fight because someone tested positive there are millions of dollars [lost]. Also, the sport's image ... If you start testing everyone, how many will get caught? I don't want to say in public because I don't want to accuse anyone, but the sport's image will be hurt.

"Don't forget, I have internal information. I'm an athlete. I know what goes on, so that disappointed me greatly."

In September, UFC president Dana White said he thought both St-Pierre and Hendricks "looked stupid" for their public dispute over how they would be tested prior to their title fight. This came after St-Pierre offered to personally pay for Hendricks to be tested by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA). Hendricks initially accepted the offer but then backed out, citing concerns with VADA's impartiality.

"I think it makes them both look stupid. These guys are going to get tested by the athletic commission," White said on a FOXSports Google Hangout.

"This is something that Georges St-Pierre wants to prove to everybody, because for years people have been saying (he's on PEDs). When he fought B.J. (Penn), B.J. talked smack about him. Other people have talked stuff. The kid, not only is he another guy that's been with us since day one, he's never tested positive for anything even remotely close to anything bad. He's never tested positive for anything. He's always been a straight shooter and always professional, yet people keep talking smack about him. I just think it's crazy for him to even do this."

In the end, after a public back-and-forth, only St-Pierre was randomly tested by VADA, and a month before UFC 167, St-Pierre told La Presse he was "very disappointed" by the UFC's lack of support in this matter. He hinted at these feelings on the conference call to announce his departure last month, but wasn't as clear about his feelings as he was on Tuesday. When White was asked on the conference call if he thought this issue led to St-Pierre's decision, he simply said, "no."

On Tuesday, St-Pierre stopped short at naming names. He didn't point a finger at White, Hendricks or anyone else, but he made it very clear that this was a major reason why he has no plans to fight any time soon.

"The only thing I want to say is, I wanted to do something to help those who are honest in the sport. Believe me or not, I never took drugs in my life. I'll take a lie detector test, I don't care. I'm for anti-doping tests. I think it's a big problem in the sport.

"This is a relatively new sport. There's one organization that has a monopoly, so the fighters don't have much power. They can't really talk because if one says what he thinks, he will get punished.

"If we want the sport to be accepted worldwide, like baseball, hockey, football, soccer, I believe [drug testing] is the thing to do. I think it's just a matter of time before it happens, it's just that I tried to make it happen now. Maybe they didn't like the idea because if I did it now, it would lead to others doing it and maybe that's not something they wanted to happen.

"It disappointed me. You know that there are things I can't say. I'm holding back. I'm a public person."

St-Pierre, who said he is still actively training and is in "excellent shape," announced on Tuesday that his GSP Foundation would give six athletes $15,000 a year for three years to train in six disciplines (karate, taekwondo, boxing, wrestling, fencing and judo). According to GSP's manager Rodolphe Beaulieu, the purpose is "to encourage school and athletic performance."

The 32-year-old St-Pierre said his family was very supportive of his decision to leave the sport last month, but once again, he left the door open for a return in the future. If certain things change, of course.

"No wants to talk about [drugs in MMA], but I think we need to talk about it. It's a problem.

"I wanted to remain diplomatic, but unfortunately there were people who weren't ready to change things. I'm certain it's a question of time. And maybe if things change one day, I'll return."

Pahlavan
15-01-2014, 01:13
Boeiend stuk...
Vooral aangezien gsp zelden zo open over zaken praat.

Kemal
15-01-2014, 06:09
Wel mooi, GSP maakt zich al lang hard voor deze maatregel en om alles open te gooien zodat men kan zien hoe de vork in de steel zit. Ik ben benieuwd!

Pahlavan
16-01-2014, 10:19
On Tuesday, former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre rocked the mixed martial arts world with his comments toward the UFC in a French-language interview. (http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/14/5309016/georges-st-pierre-on-ufcs-lack-of-drug-testing-support-it-bothered-me)
Among other things, St-Pierre claimed the UFC did not support his efforts to step up drug testing in the sport, and he also claimed the company has a "monopoly" on the MMA business.
A day later, UFC president Dana White fired back. Asked about the comments at the UFC Fight Night 35 post-fight press conference, White came out swinging.
"If he wants to talk man to man, he can see us face to face," White said. "But everything that he said is ridiculous."

White went point by point through St-Pierre's contentions, first getting into St-Pierre attempts to line up out-of-competition drug testing with Johny Hendricks prior to their UFC 167 bout.
"Georges St-Pierre is the one who said he wanted to do the extra drug testing, because wanted to prove he wasn't on drugs," White said. "It wasn't that he thought Johny Hendricks was on steroids of performance enhancing drugs of any kind, he wanted to do this. And just like you see in boxing, when I said I thought it was ridiculous, you see it in boxing all the time, one guy comes out and says I want to do extra drug testing because I'm worried about this guy, I'm worried about what's going on. They never come to an agreement."
White defended the company's record on drug testing, pointing out that the company footed the bill for the Nevada Athletic Commission's pre-fight testing of the UFC 168 heavyweight fight between Travis Browne and Josh Barnett.

"Not only did they test Josh Barnett last time because Josh Barnett was a guy who got tested for performance enhancing drugs before, they also made Travis Browne do it at the same time," White said. "And the UFC paid for that. We paid for that drug testing."
As to the charges that company is lenient on PED usage, White used the example of Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, who was suspended for a year and stripped of his bonuses after testing for elevated testosterone following his Fight of the Year candidate draw with Mark Hunt in December.

"The fight I was yelling about, screaming about that was the greatest fight I had ever seen, Mark Hunt and Bigfoot Silva, we tested the guys for that fight, we caught Bigfoot Silva, and he got destroyed for testing positive, for going over the limit. He didn't test positive," White said. "What he did was, Vitor Belfort, Bigfoot Silva, any of these other guys who are on TRT, we test them throughout their whole camp. So he did his last test the week of the fight and his numbers were fine. He took a shot after he got tested, and his levels were through the roof and he got destroyed. Lost the win money that we gave him, lost the bonus money we gave him, and obviously he's not getting an extra bonus. And he's suspended for a year. So if that's lenient on drugs, I guess we're lenient then."

White also scoffed at the notion the UFC holds a monopoly on the sport, a charge made by St-Pierre, noting their primary competitor, Bellator, is owned by a corporate giant.
"Viacom is our competitor," White said. "They have a $40 billion market cap. I'm never going to see $40 billion as long as I live. So we're not a monopoly either."

When push comes to shove, White's gut feeling is that St-Pierre is upset for reasons other than what was stated in the now-infamous interview.

"What I heard is, GSP is upset about some of the things I said at the press conference, and he's upset that I said he didn't win the fight, that I said Johny Hendricks won the fight," White said. "But if that's the case, call me, man to man. Let's talk on the phone. Let's sit down face to face. I talked to him after the fight face to face. He didn't say any of that to me."

Klassikl
16-01-2014, 11:34
Het moge duidelijk zijn dat een goed uitgevoerd PED's plan erg moeilijk te pakken is. Er worden nu voornamelijk sukkels gepakt, die na jaren van ped gebruik een lagere natuurlijke testosrone hebben en hierdoor ook lage epitestosterone. Maar om zich nog steeds even goed te voelen dezelfde of zelfs meer shit inspuiten en hierdoor over de ration grens gaan. GSP is echt niet de eerste die zich hierover uitspreekt en hopelijk ook niet de laatste.

ijsbier
16-01-2014, 20:26
Geweldig dat hij zich zo uitspreekt!

ArjanV
17-01-2014, 05:32
Het moge duidelijk zijn dat een goed uitgevoerd PED's plan erg moeilijk te pakken is. Er worden nu voornamelijk sukkels gepakt, die na jaren van ped gebruik een lagere natuurlijke testosrone hebben en hierdoor ook lage epitestosterone. Maar om zich nog steeds even goed te voelen dezelfde of zelfs meer shit inspuiten en hierdoor over de ration grens gaan. GSP is echt niet de eerste die zich hierover uitspreekt en hopelijk ook niet de laatste.

Niet zo moeilijk om mensen te pakken wanneer er een '"al year random testing system" zou zijn...zoals bij het wielrennen bijvoorbeeld...maar dat is kostbaar,heel kostbaar en inderdaad zoals GSP zegt dan zouden er wel eens wat mensen geld kunnen verliezen. Doping zit nu eenmaal in elke sport waar geld mee te verdienen valt,gaat ook niet meer weg,simple as that!

Klassikl
17-01-2014, 10:50
Niet zo moeilijk? Heb je Armstrong en Boogerd als voorbeeld wel meegekregen? Beide nooit gepakt in de sport waarin het meeste van allen wordt getest. Als het echt zo makkelijk was dan was er helemaal geen doping probleem...

Sportvision
17-01-2014, 11:28
Hij zegt gewoon letterlijk "ik weet wie doping gebruikt". Het feit dat ze hiermee wegkomen stoort hem, en terecht. Het is en blijft valsspelen. Te horen aan DW zijn reactie snapt ie het niet, of wil hij er inderdaad niks van weten.

Als iemand hier denkt dat dit weinig gebeurt in mma of MT in Nederland, alsjeblieft zeg. Minder tijd achter je keyboard, meer tijd in de gyms doorbrengen.

ArjanV
17-01-2014, 12:50
Niet zo moeilijk? Heb je Armstrong en Boogerd als voorbeeld wel meegekregen? Beide nooit gepakt in de sport waarin het meeste van allen wordt getest. Als het echt zo makkelijk was dan was er helemaal geen doping probleem...

Omdat de UCI vrolijk de ander kant op keek en Armstrong zelfs waarschuwde wanneer zijn bloedwaarden te hoog waren,bovendien wordt er in het wielrennen andere doping gebruikt dan in vechtsport

Pahlavan
17-01-2014, 13:05
Hij zegt gewoon letterlijk "ik weet wie doping gebruikt". Het feit dat ze hiermee wegkomen stoort hem, en terecht. Het is en blijft valsspelen. Te horen aan DW zijn reactie snapt ie het niet, of wil hij er inderdaad niks van weten.

x2

Ik ben en blijf persoonlijk tegen doping, en al helemaal in vechtsporten. Doping gebruiken en gaan basketballen of honkballen is een ding, maar in een sport waarbij je iemand fysiek flink kunt toetakelen is het al helemaal erg.
Ik ben niet zo naief om te denken dat alleen de mensen die gepakt worden gebruiken, er zijn ook veel die gebruiken en niet worden gepakt, maar ik geloof ook dat er nog vechters zijn die (gelukkig) niet gebruiken.

rollermanskunk
17-01-2014, 16:06
In het wielrennen worden juist de grote vissen gepakt door verklaringen en bekentenissen van ex-ploeggenoten. Wielrennen is natuurlijk een teamsport waardoor organisaties als de WADA meer instrumenten heeft om renners te pakken dan alleen met doping-testen. De UFC wil juist niet met de WADA en de USADA samenwerken omdat men weet dat dan de Doos van Pandora zal worden geopend. Ik geef GSP groot gelijk met zijn opmerkingen dat de Zuffa zich niet voldoende inzet. Bovendien als de ceo van Zuffa zich al volspuit met roids hoe geloofwaardig ben je dan als organisatie? Om maar te zwijgen over onze vriendelijke vriend Joe Rogan...

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt6y77ZKNd1qezk61o1_500.jpg
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g400/LoroidzoFerrtita/AllNatural.jpg

Kemal
17-01-2014, 16:20
De bovenste foto is al wat ouder zo te zien, neemt niet weg dat je daar wel een punt hebt!

rollermanskunk
17-01-2014, 17:04
De bovenste foto is al wat ouder zo te zien, neemt niet weg dat je daar wel een punt hebt!
Hier een recente foto van Joe:
http://www.bjjee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/rogan.jpg

Djani
17-01-2014, 17:17
Hier een recente foto van Joe:
http://www.bjjee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/rogan.jpg

Alsof je roids moet gebruiken om eruit te zien als Rogan. Ik ken genoeg gasten die dat zonder roids hebben bereikt. Dus dat is echt een bullshit argument. Zeker niks te doen.

Tykill
17-01-2014, 18:18
Alsof je roids moet gebruiken om eruit te zien als Rogan. Ik ken genoeg gasten die dat zonder roids hebben bereikt. Dus dat is echt een bullshit argument. Zeker niks te doen.

dit

rollermanskunk
17-01-2014, 18:46

Rogan heeft tijdens een podcast al een keer toegegeven dat die aan de roids (trt, hormonen-injecties) zit, het is dus geen bullshit.

Rond minuut 24
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13234487

ArjanV
17-01-2014, 19:37
maar da's niet verboden...trt...is al nagenoeg algemeengoed in de USA..

Djani
17-01-2014, 23:06
Rogan heeft tijdens een podcast al een keer toegegeven dat die aan de roids (trt, hormonen-injecties) zit, het is dus geen bullshit.

Rond minuut 24
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13234487

Klopt, ik luister zijn podcast regelmatig dus dat weet ik. Maar het feit dat hij TRT gebruikt omdat hij op z'n 44ste (ofzoiets) nog de testosteron van een 20 jarige wilt voor zn kettlebell workouts en BJJ maakt het niet dat jij hier een punt mee maakt. Rogan en zijn TRT-gebruik hebben geen ene moer te maken met Zuffa's drugtesting beleid.
Daarnaast is zijn lichaamsvorm ook niet bijzonder, ook niet voor zijn leeftijd. Die Fertitta ziet er wél wat verdacht uit. Maar ook al zitten ze beiden vol aan de roids, zij zijn geen atleten en daar moet het onderscheid gemaakt worden.

Klassikl
18-01-2014, 16:53
Discussie starten over roids gebruik van de commentator....

Het mag duidelijk zijn dat er veel gebruikt wordt en dan TRT zwaar misbruikt wordt.
De UFC blijft zich erg lafjes achter de regels van de verschillende Athletic Comissions verbergen zonder publiekelijk afstand te nemen van de praktijken. Deze Comissions zitten qua techniek en doping onderzoek totaal niet het niveau van de organisaties die buiten de deur worden gehouden. Ik denk nog altijd dat dit puur een financiële kwestie is, meer dan het niet willen.
Wanneer iemand een onpasselijke grap maakt op twitter kan je zo worden ontslagen maar stelselmatig doping gebruik zorgt er enkel voor dat je minder partijen kan knokken. Dat geeft in mijn ogen al totaal aan dat doping gebruik totaal geen issue is voor de amerikaanse fans, behalve wanneer het een buitenlander is, dat dan weer wel.