PDA

View Full Version : UFC: Roy Nelson has applied for Keith Kizer's vacated position with the NSAC

Naj85
27-01-2014, 22:27
UFC heavyweight contender, Roy Nelson has made his desire to fill Keith Kizer's shoes official by applying for the NSAC executive director position.

Since Keith Kizer vacated his position as executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, there has been no shortage of conjecture on who should replace him. The position, "open to all qualified applicants" carries with it a decent salary range of nearly six figures, plus an impressive benefit package that includes paid health, vision, dental, life/disability insurance, retirement plan, 11 paid holidays as well as paid sick and annual leave. A PDF of the application can be viewed and/or downloaded here.

For the qualified folks actively involved in the Nevada sports scene, this appears to be a dream job. In the mixed martial arts sector, a serious applicant has come forth. Current UFC Heavyweight contender, Roy Nelson has made his desire to fill the position very clear in a recent interview with Bloody Elbow. Here's what he had to say on the topic, as well as when he estimates his next fight to be and who he would like to be matched up with:

NSAC Job

I have put my application in. My wife and I were talking about having something besides fighting to fall back on, and I think I would be able to do some good. This is my hometown, it's where I was born and raised, so I feel it's a way for me to help further the sport.

Goals

With me, I can draw more people back to Vegas to help the budget. That's a big part of it. Of course I want to help get the sport cleaned up, but helping Nevada financially and bringing more revenue in is one of the primary goals I have. The others involve making sure we have better officiating and better fighter safety.

UFC

I haven't told them (the UFC) of my intent, but I don't think they'll mind my intentions here. I think they'd probably be happy that I'm just trying to make the sport better. It would be the building of a relationship that would help the UFC, MMA and all of combat sports in Nevada.

Next Fight

I'm hoping it's in April or May. I'm supposed to find out here in the next couple of weeks. I like to fight legends, so if I had a choice, it would probably be Big Nog. All the other heavyweights are booked right now, so yeah, Big Nog would be good.

Naj85
27-01-2014, 22:29
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/12893i8EF3BDD4BE64C0EF/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Naj85
28-01-2014, 08:45
Roy Nelson can forget about looking to UFC President Dana White for support in his decision to apply for the executive director position of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

On Monday, Bloodyelbow.com reported that Nelson applied for former executive director Keith Kizer’s position. The 37-year-old heavyweight star is starting to look beyond the Octagon and piece together a career after fighting.

After sitting down with his wife, Nelson made the decision to apply for the position in hopes of furthering the sport in his hometown. He also hopes to improve the working relationship between the UFC and the NSAC.

On Tuesday, MMAWeekly’s Erik Fontanez attended a media scrum for UFC 169 held in Los Angeles, where White addressed Nelson’s aspirations of being the new NSAC executive director.

It’s no secret that White has never been a fan of Nelson’s potbelly rubbing, caveman image. Chael Sonnen is often referred to as the biggest trash talker in the UFC, but White has certainly thrown his share of verbal jabs at Nelson’s expense.

In May 2013, White told Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole that Nelson was “not a smart guy” and an “absolute pain in the ass.” A few months later, he scolded the UFC heavyweight for his “nasty, ratty” beard during a media scrum for UFC 162, according to MMAFighting.com.

Unless Nelson is looking to retire from fighting, his goal of heading the NSAC is a bit unrealistic, but it still doesn’t give White any leeway to put down one of his own fighters.

Nelson’s intentions seem honorable for a fighter entering the twilight of his career. He even harped on the idea of helping to improve the rocky relations between the UFC and NSAC.

White could have simply smiled, offered a vote of confidence and moved onto the next question. Instead, he made the decision to put a guy down for having ambitious goals.

Would it really hurt to have shown Nelson a little support?

Leventdepevent
28-01-2014, 11:20
hahaha die reactie van dana

Turboknecht
28-01-2014, 12:44
Geweldig! Hail Dana.

Nelisje
28-01-2014, 13:30
Het zou geweldig zijn als hij de job kreeg, dan mag Dana lekker door het stof. En zou het nou echt zo slecht zijn met Roy Nelson op die plek. Het is een ervaringsdeskundige, dat kan geen kwaad.. zolang er geen belangenverstrengeling is. Een actieve carriere in de UFC zit er dan denk ik niet meer in dan.