PDA

View Full Version : Julianna Pena suffers 'Horrific' injury, reportedly out 2 years

Soulbringer320
30-01-2014, 17:24
http://usatmmajunkie.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/julianna-pena-tuf-18-finale1.jpg?w=640&h=420

Julianna Pena (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/2296/julianna-pena) will be forced to withdraw from her scheduled bout against Jessica Andrade (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/2360/jessica-andrade) at UFC 171 after suffering a gruesome injury to her right knee, sources close to the situation told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday.
Pena (5-2), the first female winner of The Ultimate Fighter, suffered the injury on Monday while grappling in training, ultimately damaging, among other aspects, her ACL, MCL, LCL and meniscus. She is expected to undergo surgery next Thursday in Los Angeles.
Despite the severity of the injury, doctors have assured Pena that her right knee will return to full strength following surgery and rehabilitation.
Pena, 24, steamrolled through TUF 18 in 2013, submitting Shayna Baszler (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/861/shayna-baszler) and Sarah Moras (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/1788/sarah-moras) in succession before stopping Jessica Rakoczy (http://www.mmafighting.com/fighter/2427/jessica-rakoczy) with punches in the first-round of the season's finale.
A replacement opponent for Andrade (10-3) has been found. Raquel Pennington will take Pena's place.
UFC 171 takes place March 15, 2014 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX. An updated fight card can be seen below.

jantje11
30-01-2014, 17:40
Balen zeg voor Julianna, 2 jaar is een hele tijd.

Ik wil haar al die tijd wel verzorgen.

Soulbringer320
30-01-2014, 17:44
Balen zeg voor Julianna, 2 jaar is een hele tijd.

Ik wil haar al die tijd wel verzorgen.

anders ik wel, misha tate als zuster.....:lol:

Guytje
30-01-2014, 17:55
2 jaar is een heel eind weg. Zeker bij de dames en al zeker zo juist in het begin van een mogelijkse profcarričre. Hopelijk zijn die mensen beetje goed verzekerd in zo'n geval.

Pahlavan
30-01-2014, 18:07
Heftig zeg. Had graag gezien hoe ze het verder zou doen in de ufc. Nu is het de vraag of ze ĂĽberhaupt terug kan komen. 2 jaar is ook ontzettend lang!
Erg zuur voor haar en ook voor de ufc's women's division.

Diz
30-01-2014, 18:49
Erg klote dit, vraag me af hoe het precies gebeurd is... lijkt me niet iets wat je met een misstap kan oplopen...
Zonde dat het zo lang gaat duren, had haar graag snel aan het werk gezien in de UFC.

mario the count
30-01-2014, 18:56
Sip man, hopen dat ze goed hersteld.

T15Boxing
30-01-2014, 19:15
Shit wat tragisch. Ik was echt benieuwd hoe ze het verder zou doen en hoopte dat ze uiteindelijk Rousey een pak slaag kon geven.

breahule
30-01-2014, 20:12
idd niet best, ik heb ongeveer dezelfde blessure gehad (de full package zeiden ze in het ziekenhuis) En kan hierdoor geen contact sport meer doen. Waarschijnlijk als "prof" sporter krijg je wel een beter revalidatie traject.

Leventdepevent
30-01-2014, 22:10
echt erg zeg, 2 jaar eruit dan wordt het moeilijk om terug te komen lijkt me.....de rest zit ook niet stil ondertussen

Kemal
31-01-2014, 08:52
Die komt niet meer terug...

Ulis-E
31-01-2014, 09:43
Ben heeeeeeel benieuwd naar het precieze verhaal hierachter en of het nog een staartje gaat krijgen..

Appielwt
31-01-2014, 12:06
Er zijn twee verhalen op dit moment. 1. Volgens het kamp zelf traint ze heel veel. Ze had tijdens de middag training niet een goede warming up gedaan en daardoor ontstond de blessure. 2. Volgens Dana heeft ze zelf gezegd dat een man plotseling op haar rug sprong in de gym en een RNC uitvoerde, vanuit hier zou de blessure zijn ontstaan. Dana had het vooral over het feit dat de gym niet respecteerde dat zij misschien wel de hoogst genoteerde vechter was en dat ze niet zo met de toppers om kunnen springen.

Pahlavan
31-01-2014, 12:13
Er zijn twee verhalen op dit moment. 1. Volgens het kamp zelf traint ze heel veel. Ze had tijdens de middag training niet een goede warming up gedaan en daardoor ontstond de blessure. 2. Volgens Dana heeft ze zelf gezegd dat een man plotseling op haar rug sprong in de gym en een RNC uitvoerde, vanuit hier zou de blessure zijn ontstaan. Dana had het vooral over het feit dat de gym niet respecteerde dat zij misschien wel de hoogst genoteerde vechter was en dat ze niet zo met de toppers om kunnen springen.

De waarheid zal denk ik ergens in het midden liggen dan. Aan de ene kant kan Dana goed overdrijven en aan de andere kant zal haar kamp niet toegeven dat daar idioten trainen die zo met andere vechters omgaan.

jantje11
31-01-2014, 12:20
Dan ben je wel echt een idioot als je zo met zo,n vrouw en topvechtster omgaat.

Ik bijvoorbeeld had haar een lekkere massage voor en na de trainingen geven. Savonds haar grappling technieken nog even doornemen op een zacht matras uiteraard met happy end.
Zo hoor je naar mijn mening met zo,n toppertje om te gaan

Pahlavan
31-01-2014, 16:34
"No, she wasn't assaulted," Sicilia told Bleacher Report. "I guess she was at the gym, just lifting, and she went from there to go grapple. I don’t know if she didn’t warm up or what her deal was, but the guy she goes with, he’s one of those little 35 pounders, and I guess they were just training, and he had her up against the cage and then jumped on her back to get his hooks in. I think she went for a switch or something, and it was just bad. He’s a little power pellet, you know? So, he’s a little buff guy. I wasn’t there, but I’ve heard it from everybody—what happened. It definitely wasn’t assault or anything like that."

According to Sicilia, Pena's injury was simply a freak injury—the type that can (and does) happen in mixed martial arts action. While Pena was accustomed to training with men at the gym, Sicilia admitted that sometimes the dynamic of having a woman on the mats is difficult to adjust to while still maintaining composure and full effort.

"I feel like we kind of got a girl thrown in the mix, and it's kind of hard to do the right things with her," Sicilia said. "With a bunch of guys, you can go as hard as you want. Obviously, you don’t follow up if you clip somebody, but we get after it. That’s why she’s tough, too, though. We’ve just never really dealt with girls at that gym."

While Sicilia said he was always able to dial back the intensity gauge when sparring with Pena, he mentioned that sometimes it was easy to forget that she was a girl and that she did require a bit of special treatment.

"I guess, obviously, we're dealing with a girl at our gym, but sometimes it didn't feel like that," Sicilia said. "Sometimes, I see her get dolled up, and I think, 'Holy crap! She is a girl.' She comes in, and she gets after it and starts throwing dudes around."

This ability to throw down with larger men at the gym, Sicilia feels, led to Pena's success on The Ultimate Fighter, and it helped to shape her skill set to this point in her career.

Now, in the wake of this injury, however, Pena will suffer a lengthy rehab, and she must make a decision concerning where she chooses to train moving forward.

In Sicilia's eyes, Sik-Jitsu is not to blame for the injury, and he confirmed that she is still coping with the emotions that come with such a career-altering event.

"I went and saw Julie after it happened; I brought a movie and hung out," Sicilia said. "She’s devastated. It’s just so emotional still. It wasn’t like he grabbed a submission and wouldn’t let go or anything like that. They’re the same size, so him jumping on her back—I don’t get how that happens, but it wasn’t like she just walked in the door and somebody 'cannonballed' on her or something weird...I really feel terrible for her. She was excited for the fight, and she was doing the right things. Even since the show, she had changed things and become a more professional fighter instead of just some girl who likes beating people up."

Diz
31-01-2014, 17:57
Apart... hij schijnt precies te weten hoe het zit, terwijl hij er niet eens bij was...